Setting Up For a Fall

By Happyreading

Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge. Coming in November! :) More

Setting Up For a Fall
"Dreams" | The Cranberries
Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter Two - Amor
Chapter Three - Aimer
Chapter Four - Liebe
Chapter Five - Kärlek
Chapter Six - Is Breá
Chapter Seven - Elsker
Chapter Eight - Amore
Chapter Nine - Liefde
Chapter Ten - Rakkaus
Chapter Eleven - Ai
Chapter Twelve - Salang
Chapter Thirteen - Yeu
Chapter Fourteen - Kdei​ Sraleanh
Chapter Fifteen - Khwām Rạk
Chapter Sixteen - Saya Cintamu
Chapter Seventeen - Prem
Chapter Eighteen - Pyaar
Chapter 19 - Ask
Chapter 20 - Elska
Chapter 21 - Upendo

Chapter One - Mahal

2.6K 82 95
By Happyreading

Jeremiah Adams had always been good looking.  The son of a Caucasian father and a Filipina mother, he had exotic good looks that turned heads.  He was tall, lean, muscular, had a shock of thick brown hair, and brown puppy dog eyes that can melt any girl's heart.  In high school, he was a jock, a varsity player for the school's basketball team.  He was the starting point guard, a very good one at that, so he was quite popular at the school, especially with the ladies.  He always had some girl on his arm, and a few more always trailing behind wishing they were the girl on his arm.  And that didn't exclude Skye Garcia.  Yes, she thought that the popular jock was a very handsome boy, but she wasn't crazy enough to think that she would ever be on the receiving end of Jeremiah's attention.  She was quiet, thought herself to be plain and boring...in short, not his type based on the girls he dated or hung around with.  She looked okay by her own estimation; she didn't dress in the latest trends, but she didn't look outdated and out of place either.  Her dark hair was long and silky, her skin fair and her cheeks naturally rosy, her eyes warm and expressive, her lips pink and full.  She was the studious kind; books were her best friends.  That wasn't to say she didn't have human friends.  She was nice and friendly, had a smile ready for anyone who crossed her path.  Although she was nice and friendly, she was still oh so painfully shy. 

On the first day of sophomore year, she parked herself on the lab table in the front of her chemistry class, ready and excited for the year to begin.  She busied herself with reading ahead a few pages of her chemistry book, not minding the other students filing into the classroom, chattering before class began.  Jeremiah was the last one to enter the classroom just as the bell rang, and the only seat left was in the very front of the class.  He rolled his eyes and groaned at his misfortune.  He took the seat next to the pretty girl he hadn't seen around school before.  She didn't seem to notice him, too entranced in whatever she was reading.  He cleared his throat to get her attention.  Skye looked up at the person sitting next to her, and her eyes widened.  She closed her book and cleared her own throat for it seemed to be as dry as the Sahara Desert all of a sudden.  She felt her heart thump wildly against her chest as her intestine seemed to coil around her stomach and squeeze.  That smile could be the death of her.  She had never seen a smile so breathtakingly beautiful.

"Hi there," Jeremiah said courteously.

"Hi," she replied softly, unconsciously tucking stray hair behind her ears.

"I'm Jeremiah," he smiled at her, perfect set of blindingly white teeth greeted her.

"I know,” she replied dumbly.  She heard him chuckle, and she mentally kicked herself.  “I mean, I’m Skye,” she corrected.

“Skye,” he repeated, letting her name roll off his tongue.

Their introduction to each other was cut short whent their teacher began speaking about classroom rules and going over the syllabus in the front of the class and all eyes turned to pay attention.  It turned out that whoever they were seated next to was their lab partner for the rest of the year.  Jeremiah lucked out because he soon found out that he had the brainiest girl in school as his lab partner.  At first he thought he would only get along with Skye for good grades, but as he got to know her throughout the school year, he realized that she was more than just her brilliant mind and know-it-all brain.  She was witty, jovial, and generous.  Once she got over her initial shyness, she was a great conversationalist.  There was never a dull moment with her.  He'd learned a lot from her, she actually got him to be genuinely interested in chemistry.

Little by little, as they moved from mere classmates to actual friends, Skye’s crush on Jeremiah had given way to a true friendship.  They found out they lived on the same street, and soon he insisted on picking her up from her house so they can go to school together.  He had gotten his driver's license over the summer as well as inherited his mom's old but reliable sedan.  They went to school together but couldn't go together from school since Jeremiah was busy with basketball practice while Skye had her own after school activities to attend to.

His friends had often wondered what the real score between them was, but Jeremiah insisted that he and Skye were strictly just friends and that she was his best friend, almost like a sister to him, which shattered her heart although she would never let him know that.  When she heard him tell his friends exactly what she meant to him and how he saw them in a strictly platonic kind of relationship, that was when she decided to let go of her crush on him and just be content that he considered her his best friend, and move on.

As they became upperclassmen, Skye became busy with her advanced and advanced placement classes, classes that didn't have Jeremiah as her classmate.  She became even more studious than ever, prepping her way for college admissions. She was always swamped with homework everyday, hers and other students' homework for she was an after school tutor.  She also joined various clubs at school and did volunteer work after school and over the weekend whenever she had time.  She wanted to make sure she beefed up her high school resume, so to speak.  Jeremiah found himself signing up for tutoring sessions not only because he actually needed them, but also to see Skye.  He missed his best friend the last few weeks and months. 

Skye started hanging out with a boy named Aaron, a boy who was pretty much a male version of herself.  He was cute in a nerdy kind of way, his blond hair parted on the side, but not in the style du jour way guys wore their hair parted on the side.  He wore wire rimmed glasses and seemed to always wear his uniform of khaki pants and collared cotton polo shirts on a daily basis.  They had a few classes together and tutored together in the afternoon.  Jeremiah was out on a date with a girl named Kimberly at a local fast food joint that many high schoolers frequented when he spotted Skye enter with Aaron.  The twosome were laughing at something when they walked in.  Jeremiah couldn't help himself and stood up to greet her.  She was a sight for sore eyes.

"Hi, Skye!" he said happily and even kissed her on the cheek.

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?" he couldn't help but ask.  She usually didn't hang out at places like this.

"Study break.  We got hungry," she answered easily.  "Do you know Aaron?" She gestured to the harmless looking boy standing next to her.

"Hi. Jeremiah," Jeremiah held out his hand.

"Aaron," the other boy shook his hand.

"Kimberly, my date," Jeremiah introduced the pretty blonde with pouty lips and legs for days who now stood up from her seat in the booth and stood next to him.  

"Hi," Skye said shyly to the tall girl with the supermodel good looks.  She turned back to Jeremiah.  "Didn't mean to interrupt your date.  We'll just go ahead."

"You can join us," Jeremiah said quickly, not minding the look of annoyance that passed Kimberly's face.  "Come on, it'll be fun.  I miss you.  I miss my best friend.  I haven't seen you in weeks." 

Skye didn't miss that look on Jeremiah’s date’s face, however.  "That's alright.  We'll just get something to go.  We still have a lot to do with our project.  I promise we'll catch up soon.  See you in school," Skye gave a wave and smiled at the couple in front of her and motioned for Aaron to follow her to the counter to place their orders.

Jeremiah couldn't do anything but watch as she walked away with a smitten looking Aaron trailing her like a puppy dog trailing its owner.  He felt helpless, like he didn’t know what to do to get through to his best friend.  It was like she found a new best friend, someone with whom she had more in common with, someone she bonded more with, and he absolutely hated that fact.  He was used to being number one in her world, and lately he seemed like he was last on her list of priorities. He had to admit to himself that he was jealous of Aaron, jealous that he had plenty of solo time with Skye, and hang out with her like he used to do with her.  They were going off to college soon, and he wouldn’t be able to see Skye as much anymore when that happened.  They had been accepted to different universities, of course.  Skye was on a whole different level, academically speaking, and she was going to go to a private university in Malibu.  The school he would be attending was not too shabby, but it was not on the same caliber as the one Skye was going to attend in the fall.

Before Skye and Aaron could exit the restaurant, he blocked her once more and gave her a friendly embrace. 

“I’ll call you later, okay?” he whispered into her ear.

“Okay.”

“Don’t go to sleep so early,” he joked with her.

“As if I can nowadays,” she pushed him on the chest lightly.  “Try not to stay out too late with your date so I don’t fall asleep on you.”

“I will try.”

“Don’t try; do,” she flicked his ear playfully.  “But I won’t hold it against you if you break your promise.  Those pouty lips and legs for days?  Danger zone.  You are in big trouble, my friend,” she laughed at him before heading out of the restaurant with Aaron.

As tempting as Kimberly’s pouty lips and long, long legs were, he kept his promise.  Kimberly was no competition for Skye.  Skye would always be on the top of Jeremiah's priority list, and he would like to keep it that way.  And he stayed on the phone with Skye for an hour, talking about the most mundane things, but it was one of the most meaningful conversations he has had with another person in a long while.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.3K 869 56
I'm a firm believer in surrounding yourself with things you love. So I surrounded myself with prettymuch and this is what happened. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\...
374 36 33
Started making this story || November || 30|| 2017 Completed the Story ||December|| 12|| 2017
385K 2.2K 199
@justinbieber liked your post @justinbieber commented on your picture @justinbieber started following you Cover by: @imallyg