Lost

By WhisperingJ

HR: #10 (09/11/2018)#13 (08/22/18) #14 (08/21/2018)(09/08/2018) #18 (03/23/2017) "No!" Zayn shouted. He was p... More

Copyright notice/Author's note + readers' reviews
Prologue
Chapter 1: Golden eyed Punchbag
Chapter 2: Flying Out Of Control
Chapter 3: Alive and Alone
Chapter 4: Missing
Chapter 5: The Struggle Begins
Chapter 6: Dirty mouth; Dirty bruise
Chapter 7: Leave the Loved Ones
Chapter 8: "Tough Stuff"
Chapter 9: Instincts
Chapter 10: Painful Wound
Chapter 11: Guilt and Woodoo?
Your Support is Required
Chapter 12: Prayers Getting Answered
Chapter 13: Angry Hunger
Chapter 14: Mysteries
Chapter 15: Heavenly Delivery
Chapter 16: Opposites misunderstand?
Chapter 17: The Haunting Past
Chapter 18: Lessons with Landslides
Chapter 19: Clever Plans
Chapter 20: Sparking a fire
Chapter 21: Pain of the Past
Schedules and Shout-out!
Chapter 22: The Climb
Chapter 23: The Call
Chapter 24: Run!
Chapter 25: Attacked
Chapter 26: Hiding
Chapter 27: What Could Go Wrong?
Chapter 28: Rescued
Chapter 29: Worried
Chapter 30: Suspicions
Chapter 31: Impatient
Chapter 32: Messed up
Chapter 33: Close calls
Chapter 34: The Game's On Now
Chapter 35: Relations Revealed
Chapter 36: False Alarm
Chapter 37:
Chapter 38: Plug the Plot Hole
Chapter 39: Lost Mates
Chapter 40: Feverish
Chapter 41: Heading for Heartbreak
Chapter 42: Unexpected Company
Chapter 43: Encounter
Chapter 44: Haunted Conscience
Chapter 45: The Never-ending Chase
Chapter 46
Chapter 47: Family Backup
Chapter 48: Jealousy
Chapter 49: Untangle and Tangle
Chapter 50: Beast Wars
Chapter 51: Peek a Past
Chapter 52: Perplexing Relations
Chapter 53: Mental Turmoil
Chapter 54: Old Nightmares Revisit
Chapter 55: What's the Catch?
Chapter 56: The Frustrating "Talk"
Chapter 57: The Painful Apology
Chapter 58 : Uneasy Intrusions
Chapter 59: Wrong Perception?
Chapter 60: Draconian
Chapter 61: Disengagement
Chapter 62: Restraint
Chapter 63: Surprise! Surprise!
Chapter 64: Mad Protective
Chapter 66: Head-Strong
Chapter 67: Overwhelmed
Chapter 68: Falling Apart
Chapter 69: Hard Choices
Chapter 70: Poking Emotions
Chapter 71: "Tricked"
Chapter 72: Car Chase
Chapter 73: On the Loose
Chapter 74: Shots Fired!
Chapter 75: Bee Mine, Please?
Chapter 76: High School Rivalry
Chapter 77: "I Want You!"
Chapter 78: "Cornered"
Chapter 79: "Ambushed"
Chapter 80: "Kidnapped"
Chapter 81: "A Glimpse Inside My Head"
Chapter 82 : "Snatched"
Chapter 83: "After-shook"
Chapter 84: "Authority Visits"
Chapter 85: "Interrogations"
Chapter 86 : "Forgiveness"
Chapter 87: "Wounds of Regret"
Chapter 88: So? . . . We meet again
Chapter 89: Rationality Who?
Chapter 90: "Heartbreaking Realities"
Chapter 91: "The Guardian of the Zamarud - I"
Chapter 92: "The Guardian of the Zamarud - II"
Chapter 93: "Striking out Secrets"
Chapter 94: "Unpleasant Alternatives - I"
Chapter 95: "Unpleasant Alternatives - II"
Chapter 96: "Tying the Knot -I"
Chapter 97: Tying the Knot - II
Chapter 98: "Played?"
Chapter 99: "The Mysterious Arethas"
Chapter 100: "Almost Blind"
Chapter 101: "Finalizing the Fix"
Chapter: "The Final Word"
Book II

Chapter 65: Impulsive

2.4K 155 1.1K
By WhisperingJ

Also, Maryam is back :P and it's a Zalma filled chapter :P Enjoy!

Comment as you read!

Salma's P.O.V.

"And here we have Hymenopus Coronatus,"

Salma took the pink specimen out of the box.

"Whoaw!" Jason cried awestruck, reaching out for the Orchid Mantis.

Salma bit back a laugh. She would not be surprised if Jason was to book a flight to Malaysia first thing in his holidays. Salma craned her neck to throw a glance at Zayn behind them. His golden-brown glared was still fixed on Jason. Sighing at his obnoxious attitude, Salma turned her attention back to the curly haired ginger. Reluctantly, he parted with her the insect.

"You know an awful lot about Mantids," Jason commented. He started following her around when Salma got up, chatting away like an excited three year old, "And your pictures from the hill station are just spectacular! Makes me question, why bees? Why not Mantids? I mean bees are cool and all but Mantids are super awesome, and studying them is so much more fun!"

Salma chuckled. She knew all along that this question was coming. Not sure how he would take it if she told him why, Salma shrugged.

"Don't worry, my story for why I loved Mantids is really weird too." He laughed.

"Well that changes things." Salma laughed to herself. "I am interested in all insects. Animals in general, I like them. But I chose to study Bees -- something I haven't really thought much about before -- when I got this extra incentive and then I just fell in love with these little creatures."

"What incentive?"

"I don't know. I mean, to you, it might seem weird, stupid even!" She shrugged. "But it's worship for me, so I'm like, killing two birds with one stone."

"Worship?" Jason echoed the word, looking deeply puzzled.

"Yep," Salma nodded. "I came across a verse in our Holy Book. It commanded us to observe the Bees and learn from their ways. It said that our Creator has taught the Bees its ways through Wahi, you know, sacred revelation," she explained. "The term Wahi has only been used for two species; Prophets and Bees. I wanted to study the ways and learn from the specie that Allah has honored so much. Every second I spend studying these little insects, I'm fulfilling that command. I'm worshipping Allah."

Jason thought about it for a second, then frowned.

"So, like, your Holy book pushed you to research Bees?"

"Yes," Salma confirmed.

"Wow," Jason said, impressed. "Some book! I never really gave religion much thought but it's cool that it did that for you."

Salma smiled, placing the box back in the cupboard.

"So you won't research Mantids because it's not worship?" Jason asked. There was a worry underlining his tone which Salma found amusing. "I mean, if you ever have a change of heart, I have a really good project in mind. We could --"

A series of explosions cut him off. Startled, Salma turned around to see Zayn storming out of the lab. Jason and she exchanged a panicked glance. He seemed confused, she was kind of scared.

"I'll go check on him," she muttered, quickly shutting the cupboard.

Salma came to an abrupt halt in the main lab. Her stomach sank seeing the mess he had created. Kicking down a stool, Zayn had knocked at least seven boxes of specimens to the ground.

Dear God, she was going to be in so much trouble!

Salma's eyes shot to the lab attendant office as she straightened the stool. She barely felt the relief to find her absent.

"Oh my God!" Jason gasped behind. Salma saw his wide eyes roaming over the mess on the floor.

Salma snatched the nearest box.

"Mrs. Coles is going to kill me!" she cried in panic, haphazardly collecting the bugs on the floor and dumping them in a random box. Just the thought of how she was going to explain the mess to that difficult woman made her head swim. Jason grabbed the box out of Salma's hands.

"Don't worry!" he said. "I'll sort this out, you go after him." Salma looked at the junior. He smiled reassuringly. "Go."

Taking a deep breath, Salma nodded and took off. She rushed outside and down the main corridor, just in time to see Zayn rounding a corner out of the building. Salma broke into a run after him.

"Zayn!"

He ignored her.

"Zayn, wait --" Salma came to a halt in front of him, her sneakers skidding over the wet grass of the damp grounds. "What happened?!"

Her breath got stuck in her throat when he turned his fiery stare on her. Zayn was livid.

"What happened?!" he seethed venomously.

Salma gulped. She had a fair idea him being upset had something to do with Jason. Zayn had made his dislike for him quite clear, but she did not understand his sudden mad rage. Summoning her courage, Salma met his glare squarely.

"Yes," she said bluntly. "What happened?! Do you realize the mess you've created for me? The rare specimen you might as well have destroyed. Why are you acting like a --"

"Are you that blind?!" Zayn thundered suddenly, making her flinch. "Because there is no other way you should be asking me this question!"

Salma couldn't help glancing around to see if he had successfully attracted an audience to 'Salma's Public Humiliation Show'?

Yep! He did. She tried to keep her eyes trained on the angry golden-brown ones though.

"No, but if this is about Jason --"

Zayn let out a sarcastic laugh.

"I thought you had no idea what this was about?" he ridiculed.

Salma's temper flared, undercutting her concern for not attracting an audience.

"What is your problem with him?!" she raised her voice, getting straight to the point.

"Nothing!" Zayn returned, "Absolutely no problem! Happy?"

"Very!" Salma snapped, borderline shouting at him. "You better stop throwing tantrums or I'm asking R.K. to get me another partner!"

Zayn's eyes flashed with anger. He stepped towards her, clearly offended by her threat to get rid of him.

"Instead of wasting your breath on that, why don't you solve the problem and kick him out!" he fumed.

"Jason hasn't done anything wrong --"

"He's done everything wrong!" Zayn drowned her voice. "I can't tolerate that ferret!"

Salma heard someone 'Whoa!' at that.

"Then collect your things and leave!" Salma threw her hands out in frustration.
Glaring at him one last time, she turned on her heels and started walking back to the lab.

She yelped in surprise when she felt his hand closing around her arm, bringing her to an abrupt halt. Several people gasped. Enraged, Salma spun around to yell at him, only to realize she was barely inches away from knocking into his chest.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Salma screamed, giving him a rough shove to push him away.

In her periphery, Salma saw a few students get to their feet. But Zayn had already let go.

"I wasn't --" Zayn closed his mouth, taking a step back. "Nevermind!"

Shoving his hands into his pockets, he spun on the balls of his feet, and left, pushing some of the by-standers out of his way as he went.

"The hell?!" Salma whispered to herself.

She was caught off guard. She was still boiling mad, but her anger, alarm and confusion over his behavior prevented her from reacting any further. Not for very long though.

"But I do mind," she snarled. Throwing his receding back a dirty glare, Salma pushed her way towards the offices.

Zayn's P.O.V.

Cursing at himself, Zayn ripped open the kitchen cabinets to retrieve some painkillers. He snatched the pills off just as Niall walked in.

He probably sensed Zayn was once again riled up about something, So, silently, he got himself a pack of biscuits from the pantry and left to watch one of Grandpa's recent interviews. Zayn would have joined him but he was too messed up to concentrate on anything but his shit lapse in judgment earlier. He downed the pills with some water, and made his way back to his room.

Zayn was scared. He was scared of what he did earlier. The moment Salma threatened to get rid of him and started walking away, he lost it. Zayn had no idea what came over him. He was lucky she was too numbed by the shock to react, but he dreaded how she would retaliate now.

Rubbing his searing temples, Zayn took a seat on the edge of his bed. He knew he needed to practice restraint but it was so hard around her. Every time he looked at her, he just wanted to --

"Damn it!" he hissed, jumping to his feet. He willed his mind not to stray in that direction.

His phone beeped with a text. It was one of his managers, sending him the final schedule for the upcoming practice matches. Annoyed, Zayn was about to throw the phone away when his eyes stranded to the small app Snob had downloaded for him. He studied the little red icon curiously. It had a white ribbon curled over it diagonally, scattered by three dots above and below. Zayn did not know how to pronounce the name underneath.

Snob said it would help, he recalled. Zayn opened it. Making an account, he signed up for a monthly subscription. The more he explored the app, the higher his blood pressure climbed. In no time, he had shot to his feet and stomped downstairs.

"Zayno! Did you hear - !" Niall began excitedly, "Wait- where you going?"

Without answering him, Zayn grabbed his keys and shot out of the house.

***

Zayn banged on the door.

He knew he was being obnoxiously loud but she was not opening up and Zayn had little patience with her.

"Open up!" He hammered the wooden surface with his fist again.

A door to his right opened and a girl got out, eyeing him angrily. She opened her mouth to tell him off but Zayn cut her to it.

"Problem?" he barked, returning her glare.

Swallowing nervously, she took a step back into her room

"N-no," she squeaked and quickly shut the door behind her again.

"Snob, last warning, I said open --"

"Shut up, will you?!" Sarah snarled the moment she opened the door. "I was praying!"

Zayn forced his way into her room.

"Alright, that's it!" Sarah announced, advancing towards him with the intent to drag him out by the collar quite clear.

Before she could throw him out, however, Zayn rounded on her.

"Do you take me for a fool?!" he confronted. "Do you think you can trick me like that just because I trusted you?!"

"Whoa! Hold it there. What the hell is going on?!"

"What the hell is going on?!" Zayn asked incredulously. "This is what is going on!"

Sarah jerked her head back slightly when Zayn shoved his phone into her face.

"Okay . . ." She raised a brow. "That's the app I shared."

"Damn right it is!"

"And?" She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"Don't try to play dumb! You tried to trick me!"

"Excuse you!" She eyed Zayn up and down. "You asked for my help and I shared what I thought was best."

Zayn advanced towards her, getting disrespectfully close but she stood her ground.

"I did not ask you lure me into -"

"Step back, your breath stinks!" She screwed her nose and stepped around him.

Zayn clenched his fists trying to contain his anger. He forced the words out through gritted teeth.

"I'm warning you, Snob -"

"Oh please, save it." She dismissed his threats with a wave of her hand. "You asked how I and Salma tamed our desires and I shared the secret behind that practice. Why the eruptions?"

"No, you thought it was golden opportunity to waste my time on - Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Zayn dived for his phone but Sarah dodged him, swiping away as she did.

"Hand it over!"

"Focus on this!" she snapped, slamming the phone back in his hands. "This is what I wanted you to pay attention to!"

Cursing at her, Zayn reluctantly took a look at his phone. He glared at her when he read the word above the video series; Shame.

"Are you in your senses?" Zayn mocked. "You think I'd go through this?"

Snob pinched the bridge of her nose, exasperated.

"Look, you asked for my help and I don't know a better way than this." She tried to keep her voice calm but failed. "I wasn't trying to trick you! Stop being paranoid. You may not want to buy a bus, but it won't harm you to take a ride in it when you need it!"

Zayn looked at her quizzically. A bus, really?

"You're shit at analogies, did you know that?"

"If you don't like what I'm asking you to do then delete that app, take your ass out of here and keep it within a few miles radius away from me!"

"Ooh, did I hit a nerve?" Zayn laughed at her.

"Shut up and leave, I have a prayer to offer,"

***

Zayn rubbed his pounding temple as he made his back way to the lab. He had hoped a few cups of coffee would help ease his headache but alas! The bothersome pain was still there. The lack of sleep, combined with his concern for Claire and the dread of Salma's reaction to the argument, was playing a number on his head.

Zayn was slightly worried. Salma seemed more upset than usual. She had stormed away, refused to acknowledge his presence, and even went to the extremes of sitting next to Pigface during English. It was a whole another story that Zayn glared him out of his chair, so Salma would not have to bother with that disgusting bulk of fat and snot. Zayn dreaded her stubbornness to drive him nuts but at the same time, her forgiving nature was providing him with some much needed reassurance that she would listen.

Bee always listens, Zayn told himself. She would do it again.

Taking his lab ID card out of his wallet, Zayn swiped it to get access into the lab. However, instead of the glass double doors sliding open to let him, like he was expecting, they remained firmly shut and the swiping machine beeped.

Error! Invalid ID, the small screen read.

Frowning, Zayn swiped his card another time, only to hear the annoying beep again.

Error! Invalid ID.

Zayn cursed, getting impatient. He readjusted his bag on his shoulder and tried again.

Error! Invalid ID.

"God Dammit!" he exploded slamming his hand onto the small black device.

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath to calm down. He was barely holding himself against the maddening urge to rip the electronic device off of the wall. Reminding himself that it would do him no good, Zayn decided to try again.

"What was all that ruckus?" An irritating voice reached Zayn's ears just as he swiped again.

Error! Invalid ID.

He turned around to see the snotty lab assistance standing at the door of her office. Zayn suddenly felt the urge to replace her with the swiping machine and beat her into shape.

"Mr. Harris?"

"No, it's my dead ass ghost!" Zayn snapped.

"Don't talk smart with me, boy!" she chastised, then, her face broke into a sickly sweet smile. "I just got a call from the administration. You have a - how do I put it politely - a disciplinary action taken against you."

"What?!" Zayn exclaimed in disbelief.

Her eyes shone evilly as they shifted to the electronic device behind him.

"Looks like they have already revoked your privileges to enter the laboratory." She taunted him with a smirk. Evil as she was, she seemed to be feeding off of his distress.

Zayn snapped his attention to the small screen. Error! Invalid ID, it read. Suddenly everything made sense. Someone had cancelled his permission to enter the lab. As his blood boiled over, he stormed away from the evil assistant and headed towards the offices in the building.

***

"Yes sir," she was saying, "I understand."

Through the partially open, thick glass door, Zayn could see Salma standing near the Chairperson's desk, talking to the old, balding man. Zayn watched her veiled figure, wondering, if maybe he could talk to her while his permit issue was being resolved.

Come on, Bee, He continued staring at her. Just wrap up that stupid discussion. We need to talk!

"Thank you sir, I appreciate it," Zayn heard her say.

She leaned forward to hand in some papers.

A pen was struck against the front desk sharply, snapping him out of his angry thoughts. Apparently, the student that the clerk was busy with earlier was gone and it was Zayn's turn.

"How may I help you?" the clerk asked.

"Yeah, my ID card for Entomology lab 3 doesn't work anymore," Zayn explained. "It gave an error of an invalid ID."

"Oh yes, yes the expulsion case." Zayn frowned as the clerk put his glasses on, examining the ID card Zayn handed him. "I have been told to inform you that quite regrettably, you are not allowed into the facility anymore."

Zayn watched horrified as the man stamped the ID card with INVALID in red and put it in his drawers.

"Not allowed?" Zayn echoed the words. "What do you mean not allowed? I was issued an official permit by --"

"The decision has been reversed," the clerk informed him.

"Why?"

"There were complaints filed against you." Zayn could not believe his ears. "Intimidating fellow students, damaging lab property and misconduct with the lab assistant . . ."

While the clerk informed him of how his case has been forwarded to the disciplinary committee for further action, Zayn was barely paying attention. He had his eyes fixed on the girl inside the chairperson's office.

"You can expect to be dealt with leniency as the offenses are smaller," the clerk kept going. "but in case the students' collections are damaged to --

"Who filed those complains?" Zayn forced the words out through gritted teeth as he glared at Salma.

It did not take Zayn long to work out who kicked him out. Zayn was certain the curly haired freshman would wet his pants before he could even entertain the idea. The lab assistant was not someone who would only single him out for punishment. If she could have it her way, she would kick them all out, so naturally she was irrelevant. He barely interacted with the other lab users, except one. There was only one whom he had recently offended. Only one who was hard headed enough to take such a drastic step because her 'Oh-so-divine' religious rules meant everything to her.

"I'm afraid we will have to refuse to reveal that information," the clerk replied after a pause.

Oh, you don't need to, Zayn thought to himself.

"Our policy is against revealing names of the complainants to the offenders for obvious reasons," he kept blabbering.

How could you, Bee?

Salma's P.O.V

Salma, unaware of the burning glare drilling holes into her body, stepped out of the Chairperson's office just then.

"However, you can always talk to the chairperson if you wish to clear your name. Who is free right now, I believe. Is he not, Miss?"

Upon getting addressed, Salma looked up. Her blood ran cold when she saw Zayn glowering at her. Looking between the confused clerk and Zayn, who seemed like he was about to explode, Salma realized he must have been informed of his expulsion.

She gulped nervously. The way Zayn was glaring at her, she knew he had guessed the complaints were her doing. He looked livid. So much so that Salma was almost scared of what he was about to do. Zayn turned away from the clerk to face her fully.

Her heart went into overdrive, pounding harder. Salma started pleading with Allah silently. She was scared sick at this point but she forced herself to look right back into his caramel eyes. At the moment they seem to resemble blazing swirls of fire.

However, after a painfully long minute, Zayn wheeled around and left without a word.

Salma was taken aback. She was not quite sure if Zayn walking away like that was a good thing. Letting out a breath that she was holding, she stepped towards the clerk who was busy attending a phone call.

"Please submit these documents," Salma mumbled, handling the papers to the clerk once he was done with the call.

After signing several registers and getting back the receipt she needed, Salma walked out of the office, feeling weirdly anxious. She felt exhausted and overwhelmed. It was strange. A heavy dread had settled into her stomach and she could not comprehend why? After dealing with Zayn and most of her semester's paper work she should have felt lighter, not heavy, not tired.

Deep in thought, Salma had just rounded a corner into an empty corridor when her arms were grabbed roughly and she was pushed into the wall.

A startled gasp escaped her lips, feeling disoriented with the sudden swerve.

"Why?" he fumed through gritted teeth, his eyes flashing with boiling rage. "Why on this God-damned earth did you feel the need to do that?!"

Author's Note:

Who feels bad for Jason?  Zayn is on a swing going from normal to beasty and back lol. Oh, and looks like the threat isn't over yet :P

Thoughts?

Comment them! Vote and Share the story.

You can read upto chapter 67 on my patreon page at: https://www.patreon.com/brekhnajohar

Lots of Love,

J.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 7.3K 34
He was sitting on bed in front of me in white shirwani. The look of utter adoration and devotion was completely visible in his ocean blue eyes. So mu...
60.5K 3.8K 57
"Why did you call me here?" zayn asked with a hope that maybe, maybe harry wanted to apologize to him. "My daughter is missing and I need your help...
172K 5.2K 70
Dana Noori : A hijabi, nurse in training. She's hiding her true self. She's sick. A rare disease. Without her meds it's hard for her to live. She get...
5.6K 501 24
Zayn Malik A high-rank archangel, 4th in command in the kingdom of heaven. A devoted soldier who executes orders without hesitation. However, his fai...