The Nuisance Across The Hall

By ArianaLeigh313

Naomi Jackson is a twenty-two year old single mom with a sassy little four year old, Sofia. Naomi has a day f... More

One: New Place, New Us
Two: Hot Stuff
Four: Daddy Issues
Five: The Park Days are Over
Six: Snow White likes Skittles
Seven: The Stolen Paper Plate
Eight: Is a Tomato a Fruit or a Vegetable?
Nine: Sweet Cheeks Invades My Home Again
Ten: A.M. Convos Get Deep
Eleven: Blanket Burritos and Oatmeal
Twelve: This Is Halloween Pt. 1
Thirteen: This is Halloween pt. 2
Fourteen: Sleepy Elevator Rides
Fifteen: Taco Bell and Sweatshirts
Sixteen: The Best Worst Date
Seventeen: Waffles And Intersections
Eighteen: Tests, Stitches, and Pudding
Nineteen: Garden Walks and Chicken Nugg Talks
Twenty: Diplomas and DS's

Three: Crap is a Bad Word

1.9K 70 13
By ArianaLeigh313

     My shift ended at two that morning. I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in the elevator. My white shirt now had yellow and brown stains on it from the drunk guys that spilled their drinks on me.

     The elevator dinged and my eyes shot open. Most of the hall lights were off, which I appreciated.

     I unlocked my door and walked in. I shut the door behind me and saw two figures on my couch.

     Sky was talking to Zack, laughing and obviously flirting. Zack was taking it all in. I could tell he liked the attention.

     "What are you doing?" I asked both of them. I was too tired to be mad.

     Sky looked over at me and said, "Oh, your neighbor came to visit a few minutes after you left."

     "And you just let him in?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

     "Yeah, what wouldn't I?" She asked me, confused.

     "Because you don't know him?" I offered as a suggestion. Why Sky would let a stranger in my apartment was beyond me.

     "Get out," I said, pointing towards my door. I didn't feel like dealing with this. I just wanted to go to bed.

     Sky's face fell but she stood up. "Not you," I told her. "Him." I pointed at Zack.

     "Why so eager to kick me out?" He asked me, standing. His smirk was right back on his face.

     "Because I don't like you." I deadpanned. I didn't care if it was rude. I wanted him out so I could sleep.

     He held his hands up and asked, "Can't argue with that, can I?"

     "Leave," I told him again.

     He walked passed me and to my door, opening it. Before he left, he turned back around and said, "I'll see you around, Sky."

     "Bye, Zack." Sky waved from the couch. Glad they were all friendly. Note my sarcasm.

     "See ya, Hot Stuff." He winked at me and left. What was his deal?

     I groaned and plopped on the couch next to Sky.

     "Rough night?" She asked, standing and walking to the kitchen.

     "Very. I think I just broke the record for most drinks spilled on." I told her, kicking off my shoes.

     Sky came back with two mugs of hot chocolate. It wasn't even cold outside but I still loved the drink. I always made sure to have some.

     "That sucks. I'm sorry you have to go through that." she tried to comfort.

     "It is what it is," I said, taking a sip of the hot chocolate. I instantly felt better and more relaxed.

     "Your neighbor is cute." She commented about Zack.

     I almost choked on my hot chocolate when I processed what she said.

     "Please tell me you're joking," I said, grabbing a tissue from the side table.

     She looked at me like I was crazy and said "No, he's nice too. He played well with Sophia until she had to go to bed." She told me.

     "You let him around Sophia?" I almost hissed. That was the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen.

     "I thought you said he was rude and mean and arrogant and-" She began to list off the names he was.

     "He is!" I cut her off. "Every encounter I've had with him he has laughed at me, judged me, or was just plain rude."

     "Well he wasn't to me, or Sophia." She added.

     "I don't care. He's an ass and I don't want him near Sophia anymore." I told her. "Which means no more visits."

     She pouted and defended him. "Oh come on! He's a good guy when you get to know him."

     "I don't want to get to know him. He's proven to me that he isn't worth our time." I said.

     "You're just cranky. Go take a shower and go to sleep." She told me, standing from the couch. "I gotta head home. I have to be at the office at twelve."

     Sky worked at some major business company. She was the IT department's head leader. If there was one thing Sky could do, it would have something to do with computers.

     "Fine. I'm working tomorrow again, same hours. You good to come here again?" I asked her.

     "Of course." She said. "You know I'm always here for you and Sophia." She told me.

     "Thank you for that," I said to her.

     I gave Sky a hug before she left and told her to stay away from Zack. She just laughed and said goodnight.

     After I took a quick shower, I cleaned the dishes in the sink. Once everything was clean, I walked into my room and fell on my bed. Before I could do anything else, I was asleep.

     I was woken up by Sophia jumping on my bed and screaming.

     "Wake up, Mommy! Wake up. We're gonna be late!" She squealed, landing on me with her final jump.

     I shot up, Sophia still on my lap. I looked over at my alarm clock and saw that it was already seven fifteen.

     "Crap!" I yelled, pushing Sophia onto my bed and running to my closet.

     I heard Sophia yell from the bedroom "That's a bad word!"

     "Go eat breakfast!" I yelled back.

     I grabbed the closest pair of jeans and a random shirt. I quickly stripped off my pajamas and left them on the floor.

     I pulled on the dark denim skinny jeans and an old yellow ASU shirt. I threw my brown hair into a ponytail and ran to the kitchen.

     Sophia was sitting on the couch eating an apple when I ran to the pantry. I grabbed a granola bar and went to the fridge to get a water bottle.

     "C'mon Sophia, we gotta hurry," I called as I grabbed my keys and headed for the door.

     Sophia put on her bookbag and ran to the door next to me.

     We charged out the door and towards the elevator. Someone else was already on the elevator and the doors were beginning to shut.

     "Hold the elevator!" I yelled, hoping the person inside would keep them open.

     Instead of being nice and helpful, the person inside let the doors close. I had a good feeling who was inside those metal doors.

     Not wanting to wait for the elevator to come back up, I picked up Sophia and ran to the stairs.

     After plowing down three flights, thankfully not tripping, we ended up entering the lobby at the same time as the elevator.

     Zack and some old lady walked off the elevator. Not slowing down, I shot a glare at the annoyance in a body and ran out the lobby door.

     I somehow managed to drop Sophia off and walk into my class right as it started.

     My professor went on and on about random stuff I couldn't bring myself to care about. Without realizing it, I found myself zoned out and thinking about someone I really didn't want to think about.

     Zack must actually have to try and be that rude. There's no way he's that mean by nature. I mean, doesn't he have a family? Maybe he doesn't, but someone had to raise him. Sometimes I wish I could just choke him until his pretty green eyes popped out of his stupid head.

     I forced my thoughts to focus on class. Daydreaming about Zack wasn't going to help me start a career. The class was going over yesterday's papers and revising them. I had already completed mine and was pretty much done for the day. Sadly, I couldn't just walk out and leave, though I was so tempted to. The professor had it out for anyone who walked out of class early.

     A century later, my class finally ended. Looking at the clock on the outside wall, I was surprised to see I had three hours before I had to pick up Sophia.

     I went back home and decided to finish unpacking what was left. It wasn't much, so maybe I could get study time in before picking up Sophia.

     I entered the apartment and threw my book bag on the couch. After grabbing a pack of saltine crackers to snack on, I began unpacking the last few boxes.

     Happy with myself, I was done in thirty minutes. I set up my laptop and took out my notes, ready for schoolwork when there was a knock at my door.

     I unlocked and opened the door to reveal a smirking Zack. Why the hell was he here? It was bad enough he was in the halls. I don't need him irritating me in my free time too.

     "Can I help you?" I asked him, trying to be nice so a fight wouldn't ensue.

     He snickered and said, "Bet you say that a lot, huh?"

     Already annoyed, I rolled my eyes and slammed the door in his face. I didn't have the nerve for him.

     "That was rude!" He called from the other side of the door.

     "I don't care!" I yelled back. I went back to my spot on the couch to start my work.

     "Oh C'mon! Why's the baby momma mad?" He asked with a hint of arrogance in his voice.

     "Don't call me that!" I yelled back, anger in my voice.

     "Okay. I'm sorry, Hot Stuff! Will you open the door now?" He called. How dense could he be?

     Frustrated, I stood up and opened the door again.

     "What do you want?" I asked him, clearly peeved.

     "Why are you so uptight?" He asked me, crossing his arms and putting a genuinely confused look on his face. I went to slam the door again but his foot kept it from closing.

     "I'm busy," I told him. Short and simple, maybe his brain can actually comprehend this.

     "What time do you pick up Tiny Tot?" He asked, leaning against the door frame.

     "Who?" I asked, confused.

     He rolled his eyes and clarified. "Your child, Sophia."

     I wasn't sure to be surprised or worried he remembered her name. Yet he still managed to forget mine.

     "About two hours, why?" I asked him.

     "Good, then we have plenty of time." He spoke easily.

     "Time for what? What do you want?" I asked again. What was he going on about?

     "Just grab your keys." He told me.

     "No," I replied. "I'm not going anywhere with you until you tell me where. Actually, scratch that. I'm not going anywhere with you, period."

     "Can you not be so stubborn for once and just come with me?" He complained. If he wanted to spend time with me, he had a funny way of showing it.

     I crossed my arms and demanded, "Tell me where and I might go."

     He rolled his eyes again but complied. "A park a few blocks away. Now, do I have to drag you there too?" He finished with a huff.

     I was about to decline but a thought stopped me. Sophia loved the outdoors and the chances of her loving this park would be high.

     Even though every bone in my body was against the idea, I grabbed my keys and went with Zack. I really hope I don't regret this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149 4 34
Elizabeth Elena Evans is a normal senior attending Glendale high. She's not in the popular group nor the nerd group she's basically invisible. At ho...
25.6K 814 32
COMPLETE✔️ "I'm wondering how many years you still have to be here. You've already been here quite a while Gather. Such a shame for a pretty girl lik...
159K 5.5K 49
Paige Simms was starting her last year of university with her best friend Erin. While being the seemingly perfect child with good grades, and a part...
5.5K 1.6K 43
~Amelia stone is An African American young lady with a radiant ambrosial Nature , She moves from her hometown to Denver where she gets a scholarsh...