We Who Are Jaded

By BekahEva

"Do you really know Indigo, Evans?" Christine is falling in love with the boy who rescued her fro... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Six

262 18 11
By BekahEva

Callie wasn't with me when I awoke, remnants of spare bedding the proof she had been there at all. I didn't mind her up and leaving without ceremony though, Callie probably had a hundred and one things to do and wasn't one for saying farewell. 

I stretched and yawned the last dregs of sleep away, the slight ache in my bones telling that the worst of the poison's grip was over. I arose with a telling rumbling in my stomach and surveyed the scene. Callie and I had slept on the floor, my bed too small for two, and now I lay in the midst of a marshmallow obstacle course.

Quite gracefully, I made my way to the door and continued on toward hot tea and toast. I had stomached soup the day before but nothing much else and now Christine Evans was hungry with a vengeance. 

With the notion of food spurring me on, as it would anyone of sense, I bounded into the kitchen and then paused in front of my audience. 

"Someone's been sniffing the glue," Callie ridiculed, stirring her cup of tea and caressing a mouth-watering slice of golden buttered toast.

"I thought you were gone," I said, overwhelmingly glad she had stayed to keep me company in solitude. 

"Just like that? Without saying goodbye? Chris I wouldn't do that to you...everyone else maybe but not you." Callie acted hurt from my rashness, her pout perfected from oodles of practice.

"Well it's not like you have much time in Edinburgh and why spend it with me?" I argued. The kettle was freshly boiled and Callie had left out the bread and butter for me; she knew me all too well. Rehearsed enough, I made my breakfast on auto pilot, giving Callie my full attention.

"Yes because every second I spend with you makes me want to gag," she teased.

"Shut up, you know what I mean." I stirred the tea bag in my mug, hiding my grin. 

"Not completely. I'd rather spend my time here than alone in the apartment. Mum and Dad are in and out all the time and I'd hardly get time with one of them – let alone both." Callie took a sip of tea. Besides Chris, how am I supposed to check up on you properly if I'm not around?" Her pearly white teeth were hidden as she smirked behind her mug. 

"That is not funny and you know it. Tom didn't send you here solely to do a routine check up on me. If he was that worried about me he'd come himself," I argued. Callie nodded, considering this point. 

"Yes but remember what we were talking about last night. Tom is a coward in the face of his own feelings and would rather wait until he is wanted," Callie reminded me, no jokes or laughs intended.

"Well by sending letters and sending you he isn't doing himself many favours. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't replied is because we both need to let go of something, even if it's not the same thing." I buttered my toast and tried to remember I was talking to Callie and not the back stabbing, pain in the ass that was Dr. Collins.

"You have a point," Callie agreed, taking a larger that necessary bite out of her toast.

"Could your mouth get any bigger?" I chuckled. With breakfast in hand, I joined her at the table. 

"Trust me that was nothing. I can fit about twenty marshmallows in my mouth and still say fluffy bunnies with perfect diction," Callie bragged. I wasn't surprised she'd had the most expensive acting, singing and dancing lessons in the whole of Ireland. 

"So where are you going next?" I asked cautiously, changing the subject and trying not to suggest I wanted rid of her.

"I was thinking about going to see Justin for a couple of days and then maybe go back to Mum and Dad's for the last week to see if I have a snowballs chance in Hell of seeing one of them for more than five lousy minutes." With great ferocity, Callie tore another bit of toast.

"Mmm I would give Justine a miss if I were you," I advised, trying to lay a threatening giggle to rest. Callie burst out laughing.

"You still don't like him do you?"

"Is hate too strong a word?" I muttered behind my cup of tea.

"Hmm I wouldn't deem it completely inappropriate all things considered." We both looked at each other, our smiles hidden behind the rims of our mugs. We were impossible together – almost as impossible as Beth and I expect Callie preferred to be out of the lime light as opposed to commanding it like Beth. 

"He's just so arrogant. I don't care if he got us awesome seats at a rugby match, I didn't get to see the bloody thing anyway!" Callie snorted, gesturing her mug at me.

"Oh yeah you like completely zonked out and Tom got so pissed because you said Kieran's name."

I was startled and for all the wrong, selfish reasons. 

"I'd never have thought you could have said that without even the slightest hint of bitterness. I completely messed Tom up because of that and Kieran, well you should hate him just because you can," I confessed, my fingers bruising from the heat of the mug. Callie stared down at the slopping tea in her mug and thought her response through carefully. 

"I don't hate Kieran," Callie replied gently. "We don't choose who we love. In all of this I feel sorrier for you than Kieran or Tom. You have to choose between two different kinds of love, both equally ranked in your heart even if not your heart. It's a choice I wouldn't ever want to make." Callie watched me, but not with the pity I detested, merely sympathy.

In many ways she was right, I hadn't meant to hurt anyone and while we both agreed I could have dealt with it all better, I hadn't been dealt an easy hand. 

"Hmm, I suppose," I conceded, unsure of what there was left to say. Callie took the hint from the expression on my face that I was done talking about it and silenced any further wisdom with a hearty gulp of tea.

We finished are breakfast in slurps, nosy munching and small talk. There was little to say when love life gossip was taken from the table. So instead I asked about Callie's course, a subject she was all to glad of an opportunity to share. 

Whilst in the middle of talking about the differences in two different kinds of camera lens, Ross entered and quite bemusedly drank us in. 

"I'm surprised you two are up this early – I wasn't expecting to see you before midday considering you chatted into the night."

How could someone be so friendly? 

"That's what a caffeine fix is for Ross, although you drink so much coffee you're probably immune to it." Ross didn't look as if he had any argument, having something of a revelation.  

"Well yes that would explain..." He trailed off, remembering himself and his reason for walking into the kitchen at all. "Anyway Chris one of your friends is at the door." He frowned. "Was it Nathan? No, Nate maybe."

"Nate's here?" I rose from my chair. 

"Is that not just what I said?" Ross murmured to Callie. "I'll bring him through shall I?"

"Yes, what were you waiting for? I don't have my trumpet handy for a fanfare Ross." Callie shook her head and got up to make herself another cup of tea. 

"Enough Chris, funny but enough," Ross warned, pointing his finger accusingly at me and then disappearing of to bring Nate through.

"Is this another guy you've managed to wrap around your little finger?" asked Callie, all suspicions and wonderment. I grabbed another mug from the rack and prepared some coffee grains at the bottom. I nudged Callie as she poured sugar into her mug. 

"No, Nate's just a friend – he's my friend Beth's boyfriend."

"She's the blonde leggy one right? Lives across the street?" I forgot Callie was here so rarely she wasn't just part of the usual band of hoodlums. 

"Yup, that's Beth." I turned to tend to my coffee preparation and didn't hear Nate enter and take a seat or see Callie almost drop her tea. When I went to get the milk out of the fridge I just happened to spot him out of the corner of my eye and felt the rush of guilt with it. 

It was going to take a lot more than just time for me to get used the deep scars in his face. The scars rightly served as a constant reminder of how dangerous simply being around me was and the damage I'd already done. 

"Nate, it's so good to see you." I forgot about the milk and ran into his arms.

"It's only been a couple of days and yet you still seem to have got yourself into more trouble." He placed the back of his hand to my forehead and grinned. I saw his eyes meet Callie, a frown crossing his features. 

"Hey, it's not my fault I got sick."

"Really?"For some strange reason I had the feeling Nate had guessed why I'd fallen ill, he'd found out and gone and done his homework like I knew he would. This may have been due to the way his thumb brushed the shadow of what once was a vivid red mark across my throat.

"Really. Now let me introduce you to Callie. Nate, Callie, Callie, Nate." The beheld one another, a challenge and question in both of their faces. There was something unnatural about the way they inspected one another. Callie was good at reading people – perhaps she knew there wasn't anything human about Nate. Or maybe she was uneasy about Nate's facial disfigurement, though it would have been completely out of character. 

"So how do you know Chris?" Nate asked.

"My brother was in her year at school."

"Was?"

"We moved to New York."

"And yet you're here..."

"I'm visiting family and friends for two weeks."

"But your brother..."

"Stayed in New York for personal reasons."

"Oh that's a shame."

"Yeah."

The conversation was so blatantly uncomfortable and blunt I wanted to retreat. 

"So anyway, Chris, are you feeling better?" Nate was urging me to say something to avoid making further conversation. I didn't mind, glad to change the focus if it meant them both composing themselves.

"Yeah, I think I might actually keep my breakfast down this morning. Oh shoot I was making you coffee." I pushed away my chair and started rushing to the counter when I strong hand stopped me.

"Don't worry, I'll get it. You've already done most of the job so I think I can take it from here." The warmth and assurance in Nate's voice and eyes calmed like no other could. Maybe it was the Red in him or maybe it was because I trusted no one else quite like I trusted Nate. 

"If you're sure."

"Absolutely. Would you ladies like another cup of tea while I'm up?" Nate asked. 

"That would be great, thanks." Nate picked up my cup and then waited for Callie.

"No thank you, I already have a mug" she declined quietly. I peered at her, totally perplexed by the way she was acting. Callie was normally so friendly, heck she had made friends with the likes of Justin. 

"Am I missing something here?"

"Well you might as well tell her." Callie snapped, glaring at Nate. Nate sighed, retreating back into his chair, my mug clinking as it was once more set on the table. 

"Callie and I used to date." I looked from Callie to Nate, completely unconvinced by the coincidence. I couldn't question the fact Nate had a specific taste in woman, both Beth and Callie being blonde and blue eyed (before dying her hair of course). But even still, what were the chances?

"How is that possible?" I questioned.

"I filmed a music video for him and his old band; The Five Manned Dingy."

"I can see why you left," I muttered to Nate.

"Well five was a boat sinker you could say. My old band are still together but it's only a four manned dingy now and before you ask...no they weren't." Nate had seen my question of was it an indulgence of Red to have a badly named band to serenade him but by the sounds of it, it wasn't. 

Sadly. 

"You didn't even float in the first place," Callie muttered.

"You didn't think that at the time as I recall."

"It wasn't as if you had the time to ask you were so wrapped up in your stupid little hobby," she murmured.

"Oh this is so rich."

"You are so infuriating," Callie replied.

"Is it any wonder we broke up when you find it so bloody difficult to be civil," Nate returned harshly. Callie licked her lips and placed her mug on the table.

"Excuse me, I'm going to the bathroom," Callie said before hurrying out of the room and banging the door loudly behind her.

"Still the melodramatic cow she always was." I scowled at him.

"Not that you had anything to do with it," I scolded. "But seriously, Nate, does she know about you and Red?" I whispered, aware it was more than possible Callie could still be listening.

"No of course not. The only reason you know is that Devon gave us away in the catacombs in May. I mean you would have found out eventually if Red' s plan had succeed but that's beside the point." Nate ran his hand through his hair, flustered. "All I'm saying is, I can be careful when I want to be." Nate cleared his throat. 

"Besides, with Red having...you know...been watching you for an long time and me being you know...his servant, it was inevitable there would be over laps. She worked on our video at the beginning of summer two years." Nate grunted, clawing at his face. 

I supposed that was true, it was probably through me that Nate even knew of Callie's interest in cinematography and so could I really be so surprised?

"But Callie, Nate? Is she not a bit stubborn for you?"

Nate peeked at me between fingers. 

"Have you not met Beth?"

"Touché."

"Anyway we were only seventeen, well I was pretending to be seventeen, and it lasted all of a month or two before we split up." 

From their frosty encounter it felt as though it could have been more, Nate comfortable in delusion.  

"Why'd you split?"

"We just went separate ways. I was still a dumbass who did Red's will at a click of his fingers and Callie was a narrow minded, academic who wanted to reach the dizzy heights of Hollywood," said Nate casually. "Oh and she was human." 

I watched Nate as he got to his feet once more. He had Beth now and was off of Red's leash - nothing less than a new man. 

"Anyway I was making us a cuppa." He scooped up my mug and headed back to the counter. 

"I was worried she was being judgemental about your scars at first," I admitted. Nate shrugged. 

"That'll have possibly unsettled her a little bit but it wasn't really why she was being uncomfortable, she probably wasn't surprised I'd gotten myself messed up considering who I was back then." Nate, put a tea bag and sugar into my mug. "No, Callie is just bitter because I was the one who broke it off and she's never been dumped before."

"Oh, I see." I traced a tea ring stain on the table. I had never considered Nate with anyone else and Callie of all people, it was rather a lot to take in. 

It was just a bloody good job Beth wasn't in ear shot. 

"I know what was put into your blood stream by the way," Nate said suddenly, taking advantage of the fact we were alone. 

"How? " Nate placed a fresh steaming cup of tea in front of me and sat down, clutching his coffee.

"The faded mark across your neck. I'm no Sherlock – I just know how a scar like that is formed."

"Go on." I pressed. Nate tapped the scars on his own face. 

"It's blood from our kind, or Kieran's," he said simply. It made sense to an extent but still, my wound had healed so quickly. 

"It take no genius to guess it was Anya right?" I nodded, and Nate continued. "She'll have taken blood from one of us, Kieran or Red's servants, and put it into your blood stream. My first guess would be that it was her own but I've also been considering the likelihood of her working with Devon. If she wants rid of you he's her best ally." Nate paused, taking a gulp of his coffee.

"Red wouldn't want to harm you so riskily - he wants you to kill yourself because that's the only way he can have you forever. No, I'm pretty sure she wants you out of the picture so no reason to look any further."

"It's about the only hypothesis I can think of."

I wasn't telling Nate about what had happened to my father, he was in too deep already. 

"Still taking this lightly huh?"

"Well Red is looking more and more like the easy option," I muttered. "But I don't think there is much more Anya can do at this point." 

"How can you be so sure?" Nate questioned. 

"One more strike from Anya and she knows that Kieran will wake from whatever curse she's put him under. Anya is powerful but not yet enough to completely blind Kieran." Nate didn't seem althogether convinced so I tested the water. "According to Jessica he's been refusing to see her." I smirked, finding the answer to my question of why Anya had tried something so desperate. 

"It's going to take time and a little bit more seduction on Anya's part before all ties between Kieran and I are severed; and she knows that. She'd have probably killed me a couple of nights ago if she'd been sure Kieran had forgotten all about me."

"So there's hope, on the Kieran front?" Nate asked, something of relief in is face

"Well I'd like to thinks so but he hasn't called me or come to check on me. My little brother even left a message on his phone asking him to come and still nothing."

"I wouldn't worry about that Chris. We're all being called off to Pakistan; mass suicide. Kieran and Red left early yesterday morning. That's where I'm going once I've finished here," said Nate. There wasn't the slightest bit of remorse or sadness in his face, this just a day like any other. 

"Well if you have to go then go, what are you hanging around here for?" Nate was off of Red's leash but that didn't necessary mean he didn't feel the call of his duty. Lingering when there was work to be done was painful for the likes of Red's and Indigo's so why would he wait? 

"Chris you don't understand. Every last one of us are being called away meaning there's no one here to protect you."

"I'm sure I'll be fine," I said. 

It just meant everyone I cared about whether Red or Indigo were less likely to get hurt if I was to be taken, if Red himself intended on taking me. The transition would be easy and everyone would just have to get used to it.

If I could have my way I would be the only casualty.  

"I'm just saying that at this point you are completely vulnerable. They last time we saw Devon he was hiding out somewhere in Malaysia so I doubt he'll be coming anywhere near here." Nate licked his lips and swallowed. "The only thing putting me at ease, as far as Devon goes, is that this suicide blood bath will probably be too good an opportunity for him to miss. He may be rogue but Red can't release him of his Red instincts."

Well, at least there was that saving grace. I brought my tea to my lips and considered what is was like to have both Indigo and Red beyond me reach. 

It was normal and that was a concept bizarre enough to send me mad.  

"However there are the likes of Anya or even Red to himself to worry about. Anya has Kieran under enough influence that she could come back with his permission. All it'll take is a swoon and a few pathetic words and she'll be on the wimp express home." 

I withdrew my sentiments of saving graces. 

"As for Red, he may also seize the opportunity to grab you because he knows Kieran is committed and won't leave Pakistan until the jobs done."

I placed my mug down and my hands on the table, eyeing Nate pointedly. 

"I'm not frightened of him and I'm sure I could hold him off long enough for Kieran to sense danger and come for me."

"I know you have the highest opinion of Kieran – despite the fact he's deciding to play the dunce and not man enough to show his face when you, of all people, are in need – but we can't waste time being optimistic. Don't go out or be alone while we're away Christine because that is just too good of an opportunity for these people. If you must go out have a second person with you at all times – someone who can call me or Kieran should you get into trouble. You have my number stored in your phone right?"

"You sound just like my mother," I grumbled. Nate urged me for an answer, and a serious one at that "Yes I have your number Nate but are you not fretting a little too much Nate? You'll only be gone for twenty four hours, surely."

"For someone with intentions that no time at all. Don't challenge a Red or Indigo on anything, we are capable of things beyond even your comprehension Christine."

"Modest, aren't we?" I scoffed.

"Well I try to be." Nate raised his mug to me but faltered before taking a swig of his coffee. "Now will you promise to obey by those rules until I get back?"

"Well it doesn't matter whether I agree to your rules or not. When I say you sound just like me mother, I'm not joking. I've been under house arrest since the night we were at the park together," I said grouchily. Nate chuckled, almost spitting out his coffee in the process.

"I think I'm beginning to like your mum more and more. What exactly defines house arrest?" Nate cocked a brow and smirked at me. 

"Basically I'm to tell my mum where and who I'm going out with and when I am leaving and coming home." Nate looked as though he were about to interrupt me and so I held up a finger. "Wait Nate, there's more. I'm to be in by something like half eight at night and to top it off, I'm been banned from going to visit my dad." The last one even hurt to say. Above all things, being forbidden to see my most loved one was beyond unfair. This rule, I was more than happy to disobey if need be - especially now. 

"Your mother is a smart woman." Nate chuckled and arched his fingers nervously. 

"On the subject of your father Chris, I went to visit your father in the hospital before I came here." Nate cleared his throat. "I'd been studying the care home while, unbeknown to me, while it was all happening. I wasn't permitted to go and see him but the nurse was kind enough to tell me he was in a stable condition. In both your case and your fathers, I'm surprised the blood didn't do more damage. But I assume Anya knew that or, as you say, she would have used other means to kill you both."

I smiled at Nate, beyond grateful for him even taking the time. Nate owed me nothing and yet still strove to give me everything. 

"Thank you Nate, it means a lot that you tried."

"Don't mention it's the least I can do." Nate shrugged.

"No Nate, you have done so many selfless things for me. I should be me doing you the favours." Nate raise his hand, preventing me from going any further. 

"Chris all you need do is look after yourself and Beth to boot – she's just as clumsy and unpredictable as you." He might have chuckled some more but the fact he didn't was telling of the severity of the situation at hand. "I need you to keep your promise to your mum and to me so that when I come home I don't have to welcome a new companion at Red's side." 

We studied one another and I knew not to joke, I respect him too much to test him now. 

"I promise."

"Thank you, I can leave now knowing I've done what I can." I could see in his face that even that wasn't enough for him. But I would not press Nate, he was a man of conviction and just pride and I wasn't going to be the one to question that.

"I wonder where Callie's got to," I said, steering away from thoughts of Red. 

"Probably preening herself in the bathroom mirror," Nate muttered draining his coffee. 

"I may owe you my life but I can still slap you around the head for being an arse," I said. I chucked the sponge, hitting him square in the nose. "I thought you guys were supposed to have quick reflexes."

"Well I'm sorry – I didn't think you were that immature," Nate disputed, throwing it so it landed directly in the sink. I muffled my laughter with my hand and then stopped myself, concern for Callie taking priority. 

"I think I'll go check on her." I didn't hear what Nate said as I left the kitchen, knowing it was probably about as childish as my sponge throwing. 

I rapped my knuckle on the bathroom door.

"Callie, are you alright in there?" When no reply came I tried the handle; it was unlocked. "I'm coming in."

Callie sat on the toilet seat, mascara running in rivulets down her face. Her hair was disheveled, suggesting she'd done nothing but run her hands through it since she'd excused herself. Her hands were shaking, pale and unsteady.

"Oh Callie you should have said something." I crouched by her knees, feeling guilty for putting her into a situation with this as a result. She sniffed, wiping her nose with an already blackened sheet of toilet roll.

"It's fine, I'm just being silly. I was just taken aback to see him...to him looking like that...that's all," she blubbered, biting her lip and staring at a spot on the floor. I placed my hand over her own and sighed. 

"No, it's my fault," I said. "But if it makes you feel any better, he's got to leave soon so you can just stay in here until he goes if you want." Callie shook her head, dabbing her eyes. 

"No, it's OK, I have to go too. Lucas and Carol are actually taking me out for lunch, together. Quelle surprise huh?" Callie managed a soft laugh before grimacing at me. 

"Well then I don't know what you're still doing here. Come on, hop to it woman, don't keep the work-a-hoilcs waiting." I joked, pulling a ream of toilet roll from the holder and clearing away the dark smudges from the rest of her face. 

"You're right." She inhaled deeply and began composing herself.  "If it's OK I think I'll just give myself a minute to, well you know, redo my makeup and pull myself together." She cleared her throat and smiled at me. "I mean I'm Callie, the greatest director the world is yet to see, and I'm wallowing over a boy."

I grinned at her, wishing her mentality was my own. 

"Exactly, now sort yourself out and get yourself to that lunch!" She nodded, gathering me into a hug and then shooing me away so she could get herself ready. 

I left Callie in her higher spirits and returned to Nate who'd taken to swinging in his chair.

"So what was wrong? Had she realised she'd forgotten her extreme lash mascara." I glowered at Nate then, pushing him so that he fell flat onto his back. "Hey, so rude Evans."

"You are such a jerk Nate," I muttered.

"What happened to the 'thank you Nate' stuff?"

"That boat sailed when jerk Nate arrived," I grumbled, holding out my hand to help him up. He grabbed my hand and hauled himself to his feet.

"OK, I may be being a jerk but she is being a drama queen so surely that makes it all fair in love and war." I rolled my eyes and collected his empty mug. 

"Well don't worry Nate she's leaving in a minute anyway." Nate's smirk fell and I turned to wash up the dishes. 

"Because of me?"

"Don't flatter yourself Nate she has a lunch date with her parents to get to."

"Oh." I rolled my eyes and put the mugs in the sink. I was about to turn on the tap but was interrupted by Callie's farewell. 

"I'm off now Chris," Callie said, peering around the door and focusing on solely me. Her eyes were a little swollen from crying but apart from that her auburn hair and makeup were perfectly in place.

"Do you want me to walk you to the door?" She shifted her glance for the briefest of seconds to Nate and then back to me.

"No I'm good, I'll see you soon I'm sure." Callie then bowed out and disappeared before I could utter a just goodbye. How I wished I'd given her a hug and shown her how much he visit had meant. 

"Had she been crying?" Nate muttered. 

"Well done Einstein."

"I didn't know...I didn't mean to make her cry." He was staring at the spot where Callie had stood but seconds ago. Now Nate looked remorseful, a rare occurrence as far as I could gather; Nate was somewhat shaken by it. 

"I know you didn't Nate but you need to understand Nate that even girls like Callie are sensitive. I would have thought in all the years you've walked this Earth you might have figured that out." While I saw the funny side in what I'd said, Nate remained distracted by the shadow of Callie.

"I think I'll bear that in mind." There was a moment silence while Nate remembered himself and the regret on his face vanished.

"I'd better go too, the 'pull' - if you will - is getting too strong for me to ignore." I nodded and left the dishes so I might say goodbye to Nate as I had intended to Callie. 

We didn't say anything whilst walking to the door, we just walked. I opened the door for him and studied the second strange expression of the day.

"You don't want to go, do you?" Nate cringed but didn't hide his feelings from me, caring for me too much to consider it. 

"No, but what choice do I have?" He sighed, turning to me in a gesture that felt like it could be the last. It was haunting. "Please just take care of yourself Chris." 

"Hey, I am the most uncomplicated and safe person in the whole wide world. What could I possibly have to worry about?"

"Hmm...I know." Nate pulled me into and hug but didn't ask for anymore from me. "See you in a couple of days." He kissed my hair and made his way to face the horror he had come to know so well. 

"Nate!" He turned on the stair so we were once more facing each other, eye to eye. "I'll take care of myself. I promise." He ruffled my hair and smiled. 

"See you in a couple of days Chris."

"Promise?"

"Promise." 

And with that the Nate left me alone on the landing completely vulnerable to the world and all the evils in it.

"Come and get me Red," I whispered into the gloom. "I dare you."

* ~ * ~ *

Oh my heck, only one chapter to go Indigogos! This is just so exciting, I can't believe I've managed to get so many chapters up in so little time and with so long before the Wattys deadline. It is honestly a miracle and would not have happened without all of your support. 

But I shall save my blubbering for the end of the next chapter and getting editing because I know that's really what you want...not all of this mush!

Much love, 

Bekah x 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

308K 11.7K 20
[Book #1 of the Mate series] {boyxboy} "In which a muted boy finds love he was not looking for in a red eyed beauty" {disclaimer : this is my very fi...
55.3K 1.7K 25
Ashton Irwin tries to be like all other 17 year olds, but fails because people bully and judge him after coming out last year. He's suicidal and depr...
47.1K 2.5K 52
When Brody challenges his stepfather who tries to rape him, his "step-loser" as he calls him has his revenge by throwing acid in Brody's face. Brody...
778 172 8
Story 2 in the Beauty of God Short Story Series *This is a sequel to my other short story titled Indigo Skies! While I would love for you to read tha...