A Selfless Sacrifice [Editing]

By never_wonderland

[EDITING BUT IS STILL BEING CONTINUED] When you meet someone so dear to you, you know that you will do everyt... More

Prologue~
Chapter -2-

Chapter 1 - Harry Shane

82 2 0
By never_wonderland

Chapter 1 - Harry Shane

"This is Aliona, involved in a motorbike road accident. She has dislocated her left patella, fracture to the left tibia, bruising to the ribs and arms, she was wearing a helmet so not much damage to her face, and her SATS are up" A voice said, it sounded muffled, as if it was coming from a long distance away.

"Right, get her into recess. We will need a x-ray, she will need fluids, and then she can go to the ward..." Another voice ordered, but faded as Aliona fell into the bottomless hole again.

"This is Harry, also involved in the motorbike road accident. Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a helmet so he has severe bruising and cuts to his face. A few broken and bruised ribs, possibly punctured his right lung, the stand of the motorbike wedged itself in his left side, and has a cut to the back of his head, which we have managed to stop bleeding, but he lost a lot of blood." A paramedic informed the doctors, while wheeling the bed into the A&E department.

"Right get him into theatre, we'll need to do a scan and an x-ray, he will need fluids and an operation to the head and side, but shave his head first this time, Dr Winters, we will also need to re-inflate the right lung, after get him into ICU and he will hopefully wake up. Inform me when you lot have finished." Jordan ordered, as the other doctors took over the bed and took an unconscious Harry into theatre.

"One... Two... Three... Lift!" Dr Lyons ordered. They lifted Harry onto the bed and removed the head immobilisation, and started to shave his head while others started working on re-inflating his lung, and examining the side wound.

Aliona's parents, one of her sisters Morgan, and her friend Frankie all sat around her bed waiting for her to wake up.

"ALIONA!" Her mum squealed after about 15 minutes, jumping up to give her daughter a hug. Aliona hugged her mum back before groaning telling her that she was hurting. Her mum let go immediately mumbling sorry and sat back down on the chair next to the bed.

"We were so worried!" Her mum continued, "as soon as we heard what happened... well let’s just say I don't think we've spent so much time in a hospital."

"What?! How long was I out for, mum?" She asked, looking around at her family and friends.

"About 1-2 and a half days. However you kept waking up mumbling something and going under again, but none of that matters now. What matters is that you are back with us!" Her dad spoke for the first time. Her Dad smiled weakly at her, she smile back knowing he wasn't good at this sort of thing.

Aliona's sister, Morgan, sat looking around nervously, avoiding eye contact with Aliona. "Morgan, what's wrong?" Aliona asked, her head titling to the side as her brows furrowed in concern and confusion. 

"What? Oh... Nothing, I was just thinking... Sorry," Morgan muttered. Aliona nodded, though not fully convinced.

"What did actually happen?" Aliona asked, she knew who and where she was, the people who were around her, her birthday, she knew and remembered everything except... except what happened that day.

"S'cuse me? Am just checking on Aliona, now that she is awake. Do you remember who you are, and where you are?" a nurse interrupted, bustling into the room with a clipboard and pen. She looked about a few years older than Aliona. 

"Aliona Sears, and I'm in hospital," She replied.

"Okay, so you know who you are, and where you are, so no real concussion. However, do you remember what happened to you Aliona?" The nurse asked, as she scribbled down notes on the folder at the foot of her bed, as Aliona shook her head.

"Mild concussion, but you will be fine. Aliona will be able to go within the next hour, now that you are looking a lot better. You will be on crutches for about a month, as you had dislocated you knee, and broke your leg. You may also have pain in your chest because you bruised two ribs, but that will be away in about 2 weeks." The nurse gave her a re-assuring smile and left.

"Anyway, Aliona, you were involved in a motorbike accident. I think that the motorbike stopped dead and a car hit..." Her mum carried on with saying what had happened but Aliona blanked out.

Motorbike.... Car ran into us... Stopped dead... None of this made sense to Aliona, until she thought of him... Harry!! Harry?! What happened to him? It all came back to her --

Panic and fear was all I felt.

But Harry was all mad that it had run out of fuel, and threw his helmet down out of anger. So I had to pretend to be sensible and not panic and make it a whole lot worse.

I got off the bike to push it and pull Harry off, so we wouldn't get hit. Harry saw it, he must have done. He jumped off the bike and pushed me out the way, but I was still hit by the car.

I heard the sound of metal crunching and crushing other metal. Pain erupted in my chest as I flew backwards and screamed as I smashed into the rail that separated the two roads.

I heard someone call my name, faintly, before a groaning sound way off in the distance. Spots danced before my eyes, I tried to get but, crumpled to the floor.

Harry, I'm so sorry, was my last conscious thought before blacking out.

"Where’s Harry?" Aliona asked quietly, looking around the room, her eyes surverying the faces of the people in the room. The machine that was at her side bleeping increased as her heart beated like a never ending drum beat as panic settled in her heart. "What happened to him?! I want to know, and the truth!" Aliona cut across her mum before she had finished. Tears gathered in her eyes, making everything and everyone blurry. Her fists clenched the sheets as she bit on her bottom lip harshly, drawing blood.

But she didn't care. 

She looked straight at Morgan as Aliona knew she knew the truth, and that was why she was so quiet. Morgan went and stood by the bed, and held Aliona's hand. "Umm.... Well... Harry, for some reason wasn't wearing a helmet and..." She began.

"Yeah, I know. It was because..." Aliona was about to explain. Tears pricked at her eyes, as she knew this wouldn't be good news, as he wasn't by her bed.

"No, I don't want to know why. Anyway, he had severe injuries to his face and the back of his head where the motorbike hit him. He broke a couple of ribs, while punctured a lung and had internal bleeding to the brain and stomach where the motorbike lodged itself in his side. He is in ICU - Intensive Care Unit - now, in a coma. I went to find out, as I knew you would have wanted to know." Morgan explained.

Tears rolled down Aliona's soft cheeks. She felt as if a chunk of her was missing, all her happiness and excitement for getting out of here was gone. She picked up her phone from the table and looked at the screen saver of her and Harry in the park with their friends messing about. She hugged the phone to her. Aliona's mum got up and went to hug and comfort her daughter. "We have to go now, but we will be back in half an hour to pick you and Frankie up. Or do you want me to say?" Her mum mumbled into her hair.

Aliona shook her head wiping her face, "I'll... b-be f-fine." she , which they both knew was a lie, but her mum nodded anyway. As soon as her family had left Aliona was in tears again. Frankie pulled her friend into a hug, letting Aliona sob into her shoulder. "Why don't we go see Harry? It might make you feel better!" Frankie suggested, she knew it was stupid as soon as she had opened her mouth. However Aliona wiped her face and nodded.

A few minutes later, they stood beside Harry's bed. It was a sombre, dark, dimly lit room. Gadgets and equipment in a symphony of sounds- buzzing, clicking, he lay on the bed, unresponsive, wrapped in bandages, tubes coming out of his mouth nose, an IV drip going into his left arm, with a chest tube and loads of other wires and machines. Aliona hopped over to beside his bed, fresh tears threatening to fall.

"I'm... really... sorry H-Harry! I k-know this was m-my fault!" Aliona sobbed, fresh tears falling down her cheeks. She slipped her arm out of her crutch and slipped it into his hand, holding his hand to her face. She cried hugging Harry's hand to her chest, blaming herself.

"Come here," Frankie whispered to her friend, pulling her into a hug. She held onto Harry's hand and let Frankie hug her. "None of this is your fault! Frankie whispered, "Harry will wake up in the next few days, and things will go back to normal after you and him recover from the accident! Harry always pulls through for you, and this time will be no different! You'll see."

"I... I hope... you’re... ru... hight Fruh... hankie..." Aliona cried into Frankie's shoulder. They stood beside Harry's bed for ages, listening to the machines, slowly Aliona stopped crying.

All of a sudden the monitors, which measured his brain and heart pressure went off with a loud buzzing sound!! The curved waved lines on the screen were just one long straight line.

"NO!!! Harry, don't do this to me, I know it's my fault we are in here but please don't!" Aliona cried, as Harry started fitting. Frankie rushed out the room into the quiet corridor,

"HELP!! WE NEED HELP!!"

A doctor down the other end yelled, "Cardiac Arrest, Code Blue!!! NOW!!" A horde of people rushed to the room, doctors, nurses, and then a nurse led a crying, terrified Aliona and Frankie out into the corridor, before rushing back in.

Aliona watched from through the window as they all crowded round Harry, more tears falling. She watched as the pushed down on his chest before shocking him, while pumping oxygen into his mouth. She saw one nurse/doctor, she couldn't tell; continue to pump his chest as the others gave up, before one of the others persuaded them to stop.

The machine just signalled a steady beep....................................…

FLAT LINE!

The door opened as the Doctor in charge just simply announced, "Time of Death 12:41 P.M, date July 25, 2012"

"No... no.... please don't stop!" Aliona whispered.

"We did everything we coul...." A nurse started to say to them. Aliona just pushed past, not wanting to hear the excuse, it was just their job. They didn't care about whether the person lived or died, or that there would be people upset. She ran to Harry's bed and pulled him into a hug. She hugged his cold body as she cried into his still chest, "Why?? I suh...said I was sorry, and begged you not to... and...I cuh... can't go on nuh... now..." Aliona hugged Harry for ages, not wanting to let go, knowing this would be her last chance to see him, again.

"WHY THE HELL DID YOU LET HER NEAR MY SON!!" Aliona heard someone yell at the nurse that just left the room. The man pushed past, yanking Aliona off of Harry's limb body. A pain shot through her chest reminding her of her bruised ribs, she tried not to wince or show pain but failed.

"Why the hell are you here?! You are the reason he is here! I told him to stay away but would he listen? No, and now look where he is, he isn't even here!! You Bitch, you stay away from Katherine and Thomas or you will be next!!! You are the reason, whatever anyone else says!! Aliona, you should be in his place and Harry should be where you are!! Oh yeah, one more thing you should know: Harry NEVER loved you!! He was in love with another girl, and just wanted to string you along!!" Harry's dad spat in her face before slapping her across the face.

"No..." She breathed, as her ribs felt like they were going to snap from the pain. He laughed at her weakness and pain, while letting go of the neck of her jumper.

Aliona nearly fell but stopped herself before she grabbed her crutches and stumbled out the room falling into Frankie, more tears rolling down her face.

"Aliona?! What’s up with you?" Her older brother Mark asked as they entered the house. Their mum mouthed 'Harry's dead' at him. Mark pulled Aliona into yet another hug. "I'm sorry, I really am, if you want any-" He whispered into her hair.

"Sorry?! What a STUPID word, Sorry will not turn back time and bring h... Harry back, or reverse what I did, will it? If you want to do something turn back time and bring Harry back, and make him love me this time!" Aliona cut across.

"Aliona... we all kno-" Mark grabbed Aliona's arm she was about to go upstairs.

"I didn't think so Mark, so just leave it!" Aliona smirked. She hopped upstairs, banging her bedroom door shut she leant against the closed door. His words kept repeating themselves in her head:

Harry NEVER loved you!!

Was it true? Had he never loved her, was it all just empty words and promises he had made? Aliona closed her eyes and more tears rolled down her cheeks. The picture of him lying dead in the hospital bed, his dad's words, all of them stung her heart, like rubbing salt into a wound.

She slid down the door, but ended up falling as her bad leg wouldn't bend. Aliona lay there crying for ages. Finally she half slid, half crawled to her canopy bed pulling herself up and cried herself to sleep, muttering the words, "He never loved me!!" She couldn't think of anything or anyone else. The one she had loved, the only one, that her now shattered heart belonged to:

Harry Shane

Continue Reading