All This Time

By setphaserstostunning

Christmas Break spent in the Netherlands sounds like the perfect way for Charlotte Wright to relax with her b... More

Who's Who
1 ⦿ in which i tell the truth
2 ⦿ in which i receive a proposal
3 ⦿ in which i make an enemy
4 ⦿ in which i meet the grinch
5 ⦿ in which i meet the it-girl
6 ⦿ in which i feel like a second-class citizen
7 ⦿ in which i meet the fockers
8 ⦿ in which i meet the green-eyed monster
9 ⦿ in which i play the girlfriend
10 ⦿ in which i make a deal with the devil
11 ⦿ in which i befriend the brother
12 ⦿ in which i fall
13 ⦿ in which i cannot take it back
14 ⦿ in which i make amends
15 ⦿ in which i become enchanted
16 ⦿ in which we kiss (again)
17 ⦿ in which i admit it
18 ⦿ in which i spend christmas eve
19 ⦿ in which it's over before it begins
20 ⦿ in which i dream of an unknown future
21 ⦿ in which i share a smile
22 ⦿ in which i have an almost
23 ⦿ in which we talk
24 ⦿ in which i win the argument
25 ⦿ in which i give chase
26 ⦿ in which i get caught
27 ⦿ in which he passes the first labor
28 ⦿ in which i almost have the last word
29 ⦿ in which i mess up
30 ⦿ in which domesticity doesn't suit us
31 ⦿ in which the shoe is on the other foot
32 ⦿ in which we make progress
33 ⦿ in which i'm shattered
34 ⦿ in which i seek truth
35 ⦿ in which i bury the hatchet
36 ⦿ in which i wait
37 ⦿ in which i open a door
38 ⦿ in which i close a door
39 ⦿ in which i go home
40 ⦿ in which i listen
41 ⦿ in which i learn
42 ⦿ in which i become
44 ⦿ in which i'm happy (part 2)
CHRISTMAS BONUS #1
CHRISTMAS BONUS #2 (Part 1)
CHRISTMAS BONUS #2 (Part 2)
NEW YEARS BONUS #1 (Part 1)
NEW YEARS BONUS #1 (Part 2)
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 3
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 19 (Part 1)
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 19 (Part 2)

43 ⦿ in which i'm happy (part 1)

146K 5.5K 434
By setphaserstostunning

"Xander," I say, dread in my voice as I recognize a familiar head of blond hair heading my way. "You are picking me up, right?"

There's a silence on the other end of the phone that doesn't take me long to decipher. "Xander!" I hiss, feeling my own hot breath bounce on my face. I turn away, hair obscuring my face. "I cannot believe you didn't bother to pick up your best friend from the airport."

There's muffled whispers in the background which I can only assume is Graeme conferring with her husband-to-be. "I sent the next best thing," Xander says at last, not an ounce of remorse in his words.

I want to be mad at him, but when I see Wolfram van der Waals smile for the first time in five months, all I manage is "Bye, Xand." The phone is limp in my hands as I cross the sea of people in JFK Airport to meet Wolf in the holding for arrivals. Bodies pass by, steps quick and determined, hurrying to catch the bus to the parking lot or to wait in the long taxi line.

"Charlotte," he calls out when I'm within six feet of him, and he moves forward like an eel, weaving between people with deft precision. "Oh god, it's so good to see you." His face buries in my neck, arms wrapped tight around my back. "Your hair...it's different."

"I cut it." It now falls just an inch shorter than my chin, the ends blunt and sharp.

He grins at me, quipping, "I can see that." A moment passes before he adds, "I like it. It suits you."

"And you." My brow furrows. "You look so casual." It's a good look on him. Tight dark-wash jeans and a black shirt.

His laugh sounds self-conscious. "Yeah. I've, uh, made a lot of changes."

His replacement wife is probably one of them, I know. I smile. "Sorry that Xander made you pick me up," I say, stooping to pick up my bags. "I didn't know he was going to do that." I feel like it's important to point this out, even though I doubt he thinks I arranged this meeting on purpose.

"Here, I'll grab that." With an effortless pull, he slings my duffel across his back.

"Thanks."

We begin to walk. I'm hyperaware of the fact he hasn't acknowledged what I said but before I can analyze it further—a habit I've been unable to break—he interrupts my thoughts by taking hold of my elbow. "Turn here," he instructs, pointing to a sign that indicates the parking lot.

I glance down at his hand. No ring. Startled, my gaze jerks up to his face, but he gives no sign of having noticed.

"Levi drove here this morning," says Wolf, even though I haven't asked. "I don't know why he road tripped. It would have been easier to just fly up and take a taxi to the cathedral."

I could have taken a taxi, too. I wonder why it didn't occur to Wolf to suggest that to Xander. He hums under his breath in a way that he never did before, the sound relaxed and soothing. He tosses his keys in his hand as he walks. Glancing at me, he says, "I brought you a bottle of water and a donut from that place you like. In case you were, you know, hungry."

Wow. Thoughtful. "Thanks," I say again. "You how bad plane food is." I never told him about my favorite donut - it was something I only did with Xander when he was rebelling against Graeme's crazy couple's diet or Levi when we both had a craving.

We settle into the car, my bags tossed in the trunk, and I unscrew the cap of water to take a greedy gulp. It feels cool cascading down my throat, still chilled from the fridge. The donut is indeed from my favorite gourmet donut shop, which brings a smile to my face. I recognize it at once: a carrot-cake donut with a ginger-orange marmalade glaze and crumbled pistachios liberally sprinkled as a topping.

He not only went to my favorite  shop - he bought my favorite donut. This is the kind of gesture that he can only know if he asked Xander. 

Wolf starts the car and backs out of the parking space. With his hands at ten and two on the steering wheel, he navigates us out of the parking garage, paying five dollars at the exit gate.

"It's bright," I murmur, pulling down the sun visor.

Wolf makes a sound of agreement. "How's the donut? I know it probably doesn't measure up to eclairs and bon bons, but there's nothing like food from home, is there?"

Eclairs. Bon bons. He knows where I've been.

"It's delicious," I say around a mouthful. "How did you—"

"Graeme," he says at once, taking a curve in the road slow and gentle. "Well, Xander, actually. I asked her what you'd like and she said she'd ask."

"That was thoughtful of you. Thanks."

"Stop thanking me, Charlotte. It's a pleasure. Really."

"So how have you—" I start to say at the same time he blurts out, "Are you—"

We both freeze and Wolf actually smiles sheepish before reverting his attention to the road.

"You first," I say, filling in the awkward lull.

He doesn't answer at first, because we're crammed into the lane farthest from the exit we need to take, and no one's letting us merge despite Wolf's insistent turn signal.

"Are you back for good?" he asks after we finally manage to get on the off ramp. He runs a hand through his hair, thoroughly disheveling it.

"I don't know about 'for good'. I'm back for now."

He nods. "Right."

"I don't mean to be vague. It's just how it is. I'm not really living for more than the week these days. Going with the flow."

"And you've got the cash to keep you afloat while doing it?"

For a moment I wonder if he's going to broach the subject of my finances, but no, his tone is devoid of any judgment. He's just interested, I realize. Friendly and interested.

"Yeah, I mean, with the sale of Charlotte's Web..." I trail off.

It's funny, I didn't think I would miss it. I thought I would be glad to be rid of it. I had this idea that if I shed everything of my old life I would emerge stronger and better. Maybe even regain some of my creative genius and try a new project. It wasn't as black and white as that, though.

To fill in the silence, I tell him about everything I did. After two months in France, I jetted to England for another three, where I studied literature and art history and took languages classes just for fun. I tell him about travel writing and the colorful people I met who became funny anecdotes in my articles.

He roars with laughter when I tell him about the time I saw Rupert Grint on the metro and dogged him all the way to his pub - and then got sent a drink by the actor himself, who had noticed me tailing him from the moment we got off at the same stop. I almost worry I'll have to grab the wheel when he turns to smile at me for too long.

"You've really been doing a whole lot of living," he says. "I'm jealous. What's next? More travel?"

I remind him again that I'm not planning things anymore and he gives me a confused expression, like he thought in the last few minutes, I'd somehow outgrown that idea.

"I can't believe we're at the church," he says as we pull up to the cathedral, the majestic spires reaching toward the fluffy clouds. "Us. After all this time."

I know what he means. The irony isn't lost on me. "It's a beautiful day for a wedding," I say, waiting until he turns off the ignition before unbuckling my seatbelt. "So when am I going to meet her?"

Before he can answer, the door is flung open and arms are tugging me out. In seconds I'm hauled against a hard male chest.

"Xander!" I yelp.

"I fucking missed you, brat," he announces, still not letting me go. "You're lucky you're still allowed in the wedding party. Graeme was convinced you wouldn't show up."

"I said I would. I just had some things to do first."

Xander releases me at last, looking me up and down. Chic knee-length black dress with a white Peter Pan collar, formal black heels, and a denim jacket. Short hair, tanner skin, and a smattering of freckles across my nose and cheeks from too much time spent outdoors.

"Yeah," he says, a slow grin spreading over his face. "I see that."

The boys flank me as we enter and I see familiar faces. Rhona, looking refined and elegant in a pale pink gown and beaded shrug, smiles at me, her eyes crinkling at the corners. Age, I suspect, but probably also from joy and laughter, if the gentleman sitting next to her is any indication.

"Yup," Wolf says with a resigned sigh, seeing my gaze travel. "She's dating again."

It seems a bit soon after Marcus just died last year, but who am I to begrudge the woman some happiness in her life? Her face radiates with life and love in a way it never did in the Netherlands.

Dash is there, too, Brett at his side. They're talking to Xander's family. She looks very grown-up with her hair in an upswept hairdo - in fact, they both do. Dash's smile is natural and easy, not a trace of the artifice I saw when watching his reality show on French television. They catch my eye and Brett's about to come over when Dash whispers something in her ear and she stops. It's okay. We'll find each other later.

Levi is standing at the altar, alternating from foot to foot in boredom. When he sees me, a beatific smile crosses his face. His smile says I missed you and raises his hand in a thumbs-up.

"So many people." I give a wry grin to my best friend. Somehow I suspect it's not his doing.

"Graeme was determined to make this the party of the year." Xander cracks a smile. "I'd say she's succeeded, wouldn't you?"

Ivy garlands drape over the pews and the entire cathedral glows with fat, stumpy candles. Wax drips down the side, hardening midway, and the stained-glass windows cast a soft autumnal glow of orange and red from the sun behind the baby Jesus' head. Flowers adorn almost every inch of the place, beautiful bouquets of thistle, dahlias, amaranth, seeded eucalyptus, calla lilies, and roses.

"She certainly did," I say, giving his hand a squeeze. "I can't believe you guys are—" I break off, feeling my throat tighten.

"Hey, now." Xander gives me a quick hug. "I already told my Mom not to cry. I can't have you doing it, too."

I release a watery laugh. "I'll be on my best behavior. Stoic. Restrained. I promise."

He grins. "Good. Now," he says, checking his watch. "I'd better get up there."

Wolf's mother approaches us as Xander takes his place at the altar. "Wolf, she's ready for you," she murmurs to her son. To me, she explains, "He's giving Graeme away."

"It's nice to see you again, Rhona."

"And you, Charlotte." With a peck on Wolf's cheek, she sends him off. I watch him go, and when I look back at his mother again, she's giving me a knowing smile.

"I was sorry to hear about Marcus," I say.

Rhona doesn't agree with me, just nods, like this is something she's heard too much and maybe his loss didn't affect her as much as people think it did. "He liked you, you know," she says, her eyes shrewd.

I did know that, but I also think part of it was he liked to rub me in Graeme's face to incite her into something, too. Maybe growing up. Maybe getting over herself.

"He thought it was a kindness to bring you and Wolf together. He wasn't the most attentive father, but he did notice when Wolf—" She shook her head. "Well, never mind. He'll settle down when he's ready."

I can't help the horrendous way my mouth falls open. Gaping at her, I ask, "He's...wait. He didn't marry anyone?"

Rhona stares at me in surprise. I get the feeling she thought I knew he was still single.

Oh god.

Oh god.

van der Waals Enterprises.

The company.

"He's not the CEO?" I ask, voice soft.

The music begins to play and Rhona gives me a little push forward, mouthing Go! as she hurries for her seat. Left with no other option, I leap into action, removing my denim jacket and tossing it on an empty pew.

"Fashionably late, I see," teases Levi, nudging me in the ribs with his pointy elbow.

"Right on time," I argue back, glad we're able to fall back into the same friendship that I've missed so much.

Levi and I are standing up for Xander, while Graeme's got two twittering blondes as her bridesmaids. Xander none too subtly shushes them when the music begins to play. The organ music fills the cathedral and Graeme and Wolf emerge from an open doorway.

Graeme's eyes are sparkling and her hair is set in loose mermaid waves down to her waist. Her eyes flare when she sees me and her already big smile grows even bigger. Even Wolf is smiling as he escorts his baby sister down the aisle.

I try to concentrate as Graeme and Xander begin taking their vows but all I can seem to do is focus on Wolf's proud smile and wonder what exactly happened to him over the past five months.

Author's Note: Voila, my friends! This is part 1 of a 2 part FINAL chapter (which will be posted tonight!). Yes. You heard right. The FINAL chapter. I hope you guys will be satisfied with how Wolf and Charlotte's story begins again (note: I didn't say concludes) and as always, I am so grateful to you all for your support over the course of this story. *proud mama sniffle*

So get ready, get set! The second part of the final chapter will be posted tonight. And what's next after that? Book 2 in the series: Bitter Brews, featuring...yes, I'll give it away...Levi! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 77 4
You Better watch out. You better not cry. You better lock those door tights. Because Krampus is coming tonight. All Grace wanted was the perfect Chri...
16.9K 1K 28
Everyone knows those Christmas romances where they pretend to be a couple for the holidays and end up falling in love before Christmas Eve, right? We...
48.1K 4.9K 52
Noelle loves Christmas. She is named for it after all. But this year is different. After a recent break-up ruins her tropical getaway with sophistica...
333K 13.4K 25
For recent law school grad Charlotte Maxwell, real life has never been so good. On a post-graduation vacation with her best friend, the last thing Ch...