Hidden. (by seasidestyles-ori...

By ItsVixky

2014 Watty Award Winner rose does not like harry. and harry does not like rose. but perhaps the looming threa... More

DISCLAIMER
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three
sixty four
sixty five
sixty six
sixty seven
sixty eight
seventy
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five
seventy six
seventy seven
seventy eight
epilogue
thank you message

sixty nine

7.6K 157 89
By ItsVixky

The ballroom is as beautiful as I dreamed it.

Large, crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling, and the floor is a shiny black marble. Banquet tablets line the sides with arrangements of food on them ranging from crème puffs to roasted chicken. Circular tables are positioned throughout, with a few people sitting and talking at them. A classical jazz band plays mildly in front of a large open area, no doubt the dance floor. The place is quite busy, with women in large jewels and silky dresses and men in posh suits. They fill the room with chatter and laughter.

If I wasn't terrified of this party, I would definitely enjoy it.

"Nice, huh?"

I look up at Harry who has caught me marveling at the extravagancy of the place. I nod, looking back at the ballroom.

"They're all like this," he tells me. "It gets boring after a while."

"Snob," Gemma snorts from next to him. "This is incredible."

Harry shrugs at her comment.

I look up and sure enough, an upper level looks over the greater ballroom. Just like in my dream.

I swallow.

"Let's sit," Harry says, noticing my shift in mood and removing his hand from mine, pressing it to my lower back to guide me instead.

Gemma follows us as Harry gestures for me to sit at a table in the corner, out of the spotlight. I'm glad he chose this spot, it will help us stay hidden and slightly out of sight if we are being sought after.

"You two stay here, I'm going to try find Zayn and Ed," Harry says, and Gemma and I nod, accepting glasses of white wine from a waiter.

Harry turns and disappears into the crowd, leaving Gemma and I to ourselves.

"What do you make of all this?" I ask her, leaning back in my seat.

"It's a show, that's what it is," she replies, setting her glass down on the white tablecloth. "It's obviously covering up the fact that Alec is scheming."

I nod. "I agree."

"As I do."

I snap up to see Violet standing above me, in the same red dress from my dream. She looks incredible, her hair curled to perfection and her lips cherry red. She holds a glass of wine poised in her hand as she sits beside me, smiling lightly.

I nod to her. "Violet."

"Evening, Rose," she says. She looks past me at Gemma. "And...?"

"Gemma," Gemma introduces herself. "Harry's---"

"Sister," Violet finishes. "I've heard about you."

I shift uncomfortably and Gemma furrows her brow.

She looks between Violet and I before realization leaks into her green eyes. I'm grateful that Gemma is observant enough that I don't have to explain things.

"What do you want?" I ask Violet in the most friendly way I can.

Violet clucks her tongue. "Still don't trust me, eh?"

"You haven't given me a reason to."

"I haven't given you a reason not to."

I swallow the rest of my wine.

Violet watches me carefully as I set the now empty glass on the table.

"Fine," she says. "What if I told you I know who the insider is."

I start. "Who is it?"

Violet smirks, leaning back so I can see past her out into the ballroom.

"Think about it," she says as we both survey the crowd. "Who seems innocent?"

I recognize multiple coworkers as well as Crystal himself dancing with his wife. Lana and Jesy pick at the dessert table and Phil stares longingly at the chocolate fountain.

"All of them," I answer.

"Who would have access to phone lines and other information? Who is the eyes and ears of the office?"

It hits me just as my eyes land on her.

Arms crossed over her chest as she sits a table across the dance floor, a black dress adorning her. Dark hair up in a twisted chignon, electrifying blue eyes stare directly at us.

"Marion," I breathe.

"Also know as Alec's mistress," Violet says.

"Mistress?" I look back to her.

"He's married, but his wife had no idea about what he does. He knows she'd be against it." Violet crosses her legs, taking a delicate sip of wine. "Besides, his wife travels a lot, so she hasn't a idea what the hell he does."

I shake my head. "She's the last person I would suspect."

"I told you," Violet says, picking at her nails. She looks back at me. "I know why you're wary of me, and I don't blame you. If our roles were reversed, I would feel the same. But I hope you can now trust me a bit more now that you did, because I think we could make a good team."

I'm astonished at Violet's hopeful tone, and taken aback by her request.

She continues, seeing my reaction. "I know I tarnished Harry a good deal when we were young, but we've both changed since then. I won't go after him, in not into that anymore." She sighs. "I've made a lot of mistakes, and I believe rehab helped me deal with those a bit better than I had been dealing with them. I'm sorry if you had a bad view of me, I used to view myself the same way."

Violet's narrative is touching and I suddenly find myself sympathizing with her. I sigh, my fingers playing with the stem of my glass.

"I don't know if I can fully trust you, Violet, but I trust you enough to be part of this alliance," I finally say.

She smiles. "Thank you, Rose," she says, her hand touching my shoulder lightly. "You're the closest thing I've had to a friend in years."

I never took into consideration the things Violet has been through and how they might have affected her, and I now see what Hollywood and fame has changed her.

I surprise us both by pulling her into a hug lightly, the smell of her perfume floral and sweet.

We pull away shortly, Violet smiling at me.

I smile back, hoping that I really can trust Violet, and praying it won't come back to bite me in the end.

Violet looks over her shoulder quickly.

"I'd better get going, Alec is arriving soon," she tells me. "I know the full details of the plan, by the way. Louis informed me."

I nod. "Alright."

"I'll touch base soon." She smiles again before sauntering off, leaving her wine glass on the table.

"So that's Violet," Gemma says.

"That's Violet," I reaper, nodding.

"Rose, you're quite an amazing person, you know," Gemma says and I look at her, confused.

"How?"

"You're trusting, but you're still careful. You sympathize with people quite remarkably. I would have never been able to forgive Violet so quickly, had I been you."

"I didn't exactly forgive her, but I think she could be helpful," I point out.

Gemma nods. "True."

I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up to see Harry.

"Zayn's here with Perrie, I just talked to them," he tells me. "And Ed's on his way."

"I spoke to Violet," I say.

He furrows his brow. "Violet."

I nod.

He looks out at the crowd. "Let's dance, Rose."

I nod again and excuse myself from Gemma, who has begun talking to Lana.

Harry guides me to the dancefloor, a slaw jazz song being played be the hand.

He places a hand on my lowers back, the other intertwining with my hand, and I place my free hand on his shoulder.

He leads in the dance, guiding me around the floor.

"What did Violet say to you?" He asks quietly.

I look up at him before telling him all Violet said to me, my voice hushed, wary of Marion sitting in the same place as before.

"Marion?" Harry asks, astonished, when I finish.

"I know," I say. "Who would have guessed?"

"I've never seen her at meetings, of anything, at all," Harry says. "It's so strange."

I sigh. "Strange is one way to put it."

Harry chews on his lip. "So now we're just supposed to trust Violet?"

"No, but she did give me vital information. Why would she tell me that if she wasn't on the same side as we are?"

He sighs. "Alright, but we need to be careful," he says.

I nod, looking down.

His arms tightens around me, pulling me toward him so we're pressed together. "Alec's not here yet, so why don't we have some fun?"

I crack a smile. "Well, I've already had a glass of wine."

"Without me?"

"Damn straight."

Harry laughs and dips me, giggles emitting from me as he straightens me back up before twirling me, pulling me back into his arms. We both laugh as a piano sole starts in the jazzy song.

"You're quite the dancer," I say as he twirls me again.

"As are you," he replies, smirking widely.

I replace my arm to his shoulder, resting my head on his chest and shutting my eyes. I hear his heart beat against his chest steadily and the sound calms my nerves a bit as his strong arms continue to rest around me.

"Rose," Harry says and I look up at him, opening my eyes.

His hand moves from my lower back around me to stroke my cheek softly. "I love you," he whispers.

I smile up at him. "And I love you," I reply.

He leans down, and just as he's about to kiss me, a voice interrupts.

"Styles. If I may."

We pull apart to face Mr. Crystal who wears a small smirk.

"Of course," Harry says, although I can tell he'd like nothing more than to tell Crystal to piss off.

I smirk at Harry as he walks back to the table Gemma is sitting at, letting Mr. Crystal place his hand on my back.

A new song begins and I smile at Mr. Crystal.

"Are you enjoying the party?" He asks me.

"Yes, it's very nice," I reply.

"It'd better be, it cist me a fortune," he says. "Not me, of course. I didn't pay a dime." His expression hardens. "It makes worded how much money Wolfe has sucked from corporations such as myself."

I purse my lips. "It's a surprising amount, that's for sure."

"Is the plan proceeding accordingly?" He asks me.

"So far," I answer. "We'll see, though."

"Thank you for helping me, Miss Knight," Mr. Crystal says. "If all comes out alright, you shall be receiving a small pay raise in the new year, along with Styles and Malik."

I smile. "Thank you. Mr. Crystal," I say. "But that isn't necessary."

"Of course it is," Crystal says. "I insist." He smiles.

The song ends shortly, and as soon as it does, Harry arms replace themselves back around me, pulling me to him quickly.

I laugh at him as he watches Mr. Crystal walk away.

"Jealous?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

"No, just making sure he wasn't making any moves."

"He's like fifty five with a wife and kids, Harry," I say.

"That hasn't stopped half of Hollywood."

We laugh as Harry spins me around again, a playful glint in his eye.

The rest of the song plays with Harry twirling and dipping me, our quiet laughs filling the air. It was a perfect moment, in a disastrous night, looking back in it.

We return to our seats to find Lana, Gemma, and Violet roaring with laughter at something, empty wine glasses placed in front of them.

"Slow donw on the booze, ladies," Harry says, slumping into a seat next to me.

"Looks like someone needs to quicken up on the booze," Gemma says, lifting her glass to Harry and they all burst into laughter again.

Harry rolls his eyes at her.

Suddenly, Violet straightens up, her lips falling into a frown.

"He's here," she says, her voice on edge.

I don't have to think twice to know who it is.

I slowly turn around and look to the door to find Alec already looking straight at me, Aaron behind him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

257 16 1
Darcy's life may be looking a lot like Pride and Prejudice lately, but she's no Elizabeth Bennet. When it comes to Harry Styles, she can never be as...
374K 11.8K 40
|mature content| In the shadows lurk beasts that mankind are completely oblivious to. They blend in with society so it's almost undetected. But when...
9.7K 210 37
**********One Direction not famous********** Jess is 19 she got married when she was 18 her husband died in the army. What happens when she move to L...
880 142 41
"There's something in the shadows. It finds you in a cold room. Silhouette against the wall." Elizabeth Rose walks home every night, nothing but mur...