Tattooed Hearts

By acreativeblur

❝ darling, let me trace the lines on your tattooed heart ❞ ● ● ● 〚 highest ranking: #471 in romance 〛 〚 copyr... More

Introduction
Epigraph
Hangovers & Typical Days
Lunch & Tutoring
Spilled Drinks & Phone Numbers
Photography & Lasagna
Phone Calls & Holding Hands
Interviews & Invitations
Pizza & Pianos
Breakfast & Ladybugs
Torment & Pick Up Lines
Dressing Rooms & Misconceptions
Pillow Talk & Soccer Matches
First Performances & Slow Realizations
Halloween and Starry Nights
Cookies and Finger Paints
Aquariums & Breaking Points
New Additions & Big Ideas
Ice Cream Dates & Accepted Feelings
Secrets Revealed & Hallway Brawls
Humiliation & Heartbreaking Confessions
Proposals & Dazzling Performances
Taking Risks & Steps Forward
Mistletoe & Holiday Cheer
Emotional Mornings & Important Opportunities
Ice Skating & New Years Resolutions
Steady Rivalries & Date Nights In
Big News & Low Profile Talks
Midnight Explorations & Truthful Stories
Formal Dates & Hidden Kisses
Family Feuds & Keeping Secrets
Soccer Stadiums & Close Encounters
Home Travels & Lake Days
Returns From The Past & Trusts Broken
Broken Relationships & Time Apart
Loneliness & Closed Doors
Unexpected Visits & Hospital Beds
Rainy Nights & Moving Forwards
New Beginnings & Graduation Speeches
Settled Disputes & Body Heat
Summer Dreams and Tattooed Hearts
Home Visits & One Word Answers
Epilogue
Thank You

Fatherly Figures & Photoshoot Adventures

1.3K 50 17
By acreativeblur

❁ ❁ ❁

I wake up in the middle of the night to my phone vibrating on my night stand. I quickly shuffle out of bed, answering it, hoping the noise didn't disturb Grace.

I slide my feet into some slippers and open the balcony door as I let out a groggy "Hello."

"My plane just landed." The voice says on the other line.

"At one in the morning?" I ask, a little annoyed over the interruption of sleep.

"Sorry. Normally, I wouldn't call you, but," She sighs. "He came back."

Suddenly I'm more awake. "Who? Robert?"

There's a pause, she's probably shaking her head. "No." She clears her throat. "Your dad."

"Shit," I mutter, running a hand through my hair. "Are you sure? You're not playing games with me, right Braeden?"

"Why the hell would I do that? I know how serious this is." I hear Braeden mumble a thank you to someone at the airport before she returns back to the call.

"Okay. But how do you know?" I question, hoping there is a possibility that what she is telling me could be a mistake.

"Well, he's been looking for you for a while now, Isaac. He was in Chicago the entire winter. I thought he had eventually gone home, but..." She trails off.

"But what?"

"He was on the plane with me." She nearly whispers, as if he might hear her.

I take a minute to process this. My dad is here. In the same city as me. After all, this is his home. But it still rattles my nerves.

She continues. "I tried to avoid him. But he still recognized me, after the haircut and contacts and everything. He was asking about you," Another pause. "He wants to meet up with you."

I lean against the railing, cool night air sending chills up my arms. This is exactly what I was afraid of. The last thing I need is for my father to ruin my week here. I am already afraid of what might happen when talking to my friends, but this just sounds so much worse.

"You there?" Her voice picks up.

I let out a small groan. "Yeah. Yeah, I am. Just, I don't know what to do."

"Maybe you should talk to him." She says quietly.

"Are you kidding me? Why would I do that?" I blurt out.

"It's obvious he wants to get in touch with you. He's making a huge effort–"

"I don't care. I don't even want to waste my breath on him." I snap. Taking a deep breath, I compose myself. "Why would he want to see me again?"

"It's been almost two years since the divorce, Isaac. Maybe he's changed."

"People don't change."

"They most certainly can," She argues. "Look, maybe you should just give him a chance? And if it doesn't work out, then you wont ever have to see him again. At least give him closure. He thinks you only left because your mom made you. At least let him know if you are willing to hear him out, or if you never want to say his name again."

"I guess you're right," I bite the inside of my cheek. "Anyway, what's the plan for Thursday?"

"We're all meeting at Matt's house, I think. Are you going to bring her?"

I nod my head, then remembering she can't see me, I say, "Yes. I think I should. She's been in the dark for so long, after all."

"It'll be weird seeing her," Braeden admits. "She doesn't know about you and me. Us. That we know each other. I wonder how she'll respond."

"Don't worry, she'll understand," I convince myself. "It might take some explaining."

"But what if Cass is there? Or Rob? What do you do then?" Braeden questions.

I roll my eyes. "Matt won't let that happen." I'm about to say something else, but then I hear the rustling of sheets from inside the room, and a lamp turn on. "I have to go, thanks though."

"No problem." Braeden hangs up the phone.

I see a sleepy Grace emerge onto the balcony, rubbing her eyes. She lets out a small yawn before speaking. "Isaac?"

I stuff my phone into my pocket. "Sorry baby," She steps closer. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Is everything all right? You seem on edge." She comments. I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck,
not answering. "Isaac." She says my name more forceful this time. "What's wrong?"

"I'm meeting my dad for dinner tomorrow." I blurt out, then wishing I hadn't said anything at all. Her eyes widen, as if this was the last thing she was expecting me to say.

"Is that...is that what all the phone calls have been about?" She asks me.

I should've known that Grace would be able to tell something was up. "Yes." Is all I respond with.

"I wish you would've told me." Grace frowns. She's not mad, more confused, I conclude.

"I know," I address. "I didn't mean to be so secretive. I was just hoping all of it would go away on its own."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to erase everything from my past life." I admit.

"Again, why?" She repeats.

"My dad's an asshole, Grace." I confirm.

She crosses her arms. "But that was a while ago. A year may seem like a short time, but things can really turn around in a year."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, maybe he changed." She says.

"He won't be." I dismiss.

"Well how do you know?" She asks me. "You don't have to be a complete new person to be changed. Why can't you try to see him?" When I don't say anything, she uses a gentler tone. "Why are you scared of what already happened here?"

I open my mouth to talk, but then close it, not knowing how to answer properly. How am I supposed to tell her that I wish I could completely forget the past ten years? How am I supposed to tell her that moving to Illinois was literally the start of my new life. How am I supposed to say that I hate the person I used to be?

"I don't want my past to define me." Is all I manage to say.

She gently rubs my arm, as if to reassure me. "Then don't let it. Isaac, you can still live a beautiful life, you don't have to worry. Only when you accept the past will you be able to let it go."

"What about what others think? How can I let it go if it I'm always being reminded of it?" I say, frustrated.

She furrows her eyebrows, tilting her head a bit. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I shake my head. "Nevermind," I stop the conversation, not wanting to think about it right now. "I'm sorry I woke you, Grace."

She offers a weak smile. "Okay." is all she says. We walk back into the bedroom, crawling under the covers. I take a deep breath, resting my head against the pillow, and wrapping my arms around Grace, her back pressed to my chest. I feel her head nuzzle into the crook of my arm, and I know she is probably already fast asleep. I let my heavy eyes shut, allowing sleep to take over.

❁ ❁ ❁

"So, what are the plans for the day?" I ask my mom as the four of us sit around the table in the hotel lobby, forks and knives scraping our plates as we eat breakfast.

"Whatever you kids feel like." She answers, taking a sip of her coffee.

Mia shrugs, not giving any input. I turn to Grace to see if anything appeals to her. She looks just as lost as everyone else.

I clear my throat. "Um, maybe we can drive around? Visit some of the cool or pretty places across the county?"

"That sounds good." My mother replies.

"Yeah, I like that idea," Grace adds. "Maybe I can take pictures for my photography portfolio."

Settling on the plans for the afternoon, we all quickly finished our breakfast to go get ready before heading off. I didn't tell my mom about meeting with my father. I doubt she would want to know about it anyway. I didn't want to ruin her vacation.

I decided to bring Grace along with me, figuring that if she came to the dinner, he wouldn't be as harsh. Maybe he would watch his words. But part of me also hoped he wouldn't, and he would treat me the same he always did just so Grace would understand why I didn't want to see him in the first place.

All the thoughts and contemplations ran through my mind during the car ride to our first venture location, a patch of woods nearby known for its beautiful scenery.

We stop the car a little away, walking to the edge of the trees. Grace immediately pulls out her camera, snapping pictures at the entrance of the trail. She gets closer to some of the plants, not touching them, but capturing the beauty of each and every one of them.

"This is breathtaking," She breathes out, eventually lowering her camera, staring in awe at the array of colors in front of her.

"Here, let me get one of you," I suggest. She softly smiles, handing me the camera and she walks to the edge of the trees.

"What should I do?" She asks, loudly speaking so I can hear her.

"Just be yourself." I answer, raising the lens to my eye.

She thinks for a moment then turns profile and closes her eyes. She extends her arms outwards, tilting her head back as if she staring at the sky. I quickly take the photo, walking over to show her.

My skills aren't nearly as good as Grace's, but she looks at it with wide eyes nonetheless. "Beautiful." I murmur under my breath, not even sure if she heard it. But she rests her head on my shoulder and glances up at me. I meet her emerald eyes, by being able to control the smile growing on my face. She stands up on her toes, gently pressing her lips to mine, and then stepping away, the buzzing feeling from her kiss still lingering on my skin. She takes the camera and scampers off, and I follow behind her like a lost puppy, absolutely love-stricken and in awe of the girl I see running down the forest trail.

❁ ❁ ❁

I put the car in park, hands remaining on the steering wheel, sitting in the lot outside of the restaurant. I can feel Grace's eyes on me. I can't decide if I should get out of the car, or just drive off and never come back.

I shake away any negative thoughts, instead remembering what Grace told me last night. Closure. I'm not doing this for him, I'm doing this for me.

I stuff my keys back into my pocket, turning to her, giving a half smile. "You ready?" She merely nods her head. We get out of the car and walk through the large wooden doors. I wrap my arm around Grace's waist, holding onto her as if she is my security blanket.

The hostess greets us, and I give her our reservation name. She nods, collects menus, and guides us through the fancy restaurant bustling with people. My heart rate speeds up with each step I take, and Grace reassuringly rubs my arm.

Eventually, we make it to the area where our table is. I squint against the low lights of the building, scanning several tables as we walk. And then I see a familiar face, and surely, it's at the table the lady leads us to. She puts our menus down and wishes us a good night and walks away, leaving just the three of us.

He looks so different.

It's the first time I've seen him wearing a suit. His hair is cut and combed to the side, rather than the nearly shoulder length mane I'm used to. His beard is gone, his old earrings vanished as well. I still notice a small part of the rose tattoo on his arm peeking out of his sleeve. And his face has a few more wrinkles, but his eyes are shining brighter than I've ever seen them.

A completely different person.

"Isaac." He says, and offers his hand.

"Father." I respond, mimicking his gesture.

"It's really great to see you," When I don't say the same back, he looks at Grace. His face is nearly emotionless, I can't tell whether or not he approves, not that it matters although. "Is this your...girlfriend?"

She flashes one of her prettiest smiles that soothes my nerves a little, knowing that she is cool and collected, unlike me. "Grace Baker, sir." She introduces herself, shaking his hand.

"Ah," He says. "Very nice to meet you. Now, I don't believe we should stand here all night. Please, please, let's sit down."

We all take a seat in the chairs, my dad across from Grace and I. She begins to look over the menu, allowing us to talk a little.

"You look better." Is all I can find the words to say. And it's true. He barely looked normal the last time I saw him, like he was a druggie off of the streets. But now, he has cleaned up. Gotten himself together. Doesn't mean I'm more happy to see him again.

He takes a sip of water. "I've had some time on my hands lately. I've found a new job, gotten a new place."

"Where are you working?" I ask.

"Down at the local ice cream shop. Business is finally starting to pick up with the warmer weather," His attention is caught by Grace setting her menu away. "So, Chicago?"

"It's great," I answer curtly. I feel my hand brush against Grace's, and I intertwine my fingers with hers under neath the table. "School is going well. I've gotten accepted into college."

"Really? Wow, I'm surprised." His eyes widen as he says this.

I try to brush off his comment, but I can't seem to. "And why is that?"

He looks at me over the rim of his glasses, as if to get a clearer picture of me before explaining himself. "Well, you never seemed to have any set goals in life when you lived here. Don't you recall? All you did was stay in bed, video games, hang out with Ca–"

"Can we please-" I cut him off. "Not talk about that? Things are different now."

He tilts his head. "I guess they are," He glances at the girl sitting next to me, suddenly remembering she is there. Grace's eyes revert from my face to his, not knowing what to do in the awkward situation. Instead, my father opens his mouth again. "So, Grace, tell me more about yourself. What do you like to do?"

She immediately smiles, attempting to wash away any tension that was previously present. "I love to sing. And take pictures."

He nods slowly, again, showing no expressions on his face. "How'd you come to meet Isaac?"

I see a slight pink tint her cheeks, and I can't help but grin. "I tutored him at the beginning of the school year."

"I see," He leans back in his chair. "Has my boy been treating you right?" He looks at me, his eyes practically screaming you better not be the same kid you were two years ago.

"Your son's a gentleman, sir. He's very special to me." Is her response.

My dad doesn't say anything after this. Just takes another sip of water. I squeeze her hand gently to tell her to not let him get to her.

He looks at me. "College, huh? What are you studying?"

I gulp. "Law."

He raises his eyebrows. "My son's going to be a lawyer? You're serious?"

"I'm very serious, father." I say through pursed lips.

He taps his fingers on the table. "A lawyer? Are you planning on making friends, that way? Don't you know everybody hates lawyers?" He takes a breath. "Look, kid, I'm delighted you got into school. But not satisfied with your choice of career."

"What, do you think I chose that major to spite you or something? I'm doing this for me and my future family. Not everything is about you." I let go of Grace's hand, clenching it next to my thigh. I can feel her worried eyes on me.

"I just can't believe I let that stinking mother of yours drag you across the country only to allow you to be a lawyer." He shrugs it off as if it's no big deal.

"She may have dragged me across the country, but at least I'm farther from you." I snap.

"Ah, the feeling's mutual. I couldn't stand that woman, or you! Sulking around in your room all day, or running around with those two kids. Yeah, those are the ones that ruined ya. What were their names...uh..Cass? Cass and Rich? Rob? Robert! Yeah, that was them." He squints his eyes at me.

I can feel my blood boiling. "Maybe that's because I didn't have a parent to guide me!"

"What about your mother then, eh? Why couldn't she raise you right?" He protests.

"She was busy with work and supporting your lazy ass!" I argue. "She was burdened by marrying a man who just turned out to be a deadbeat."

"It's not my fault my son turned out to be a piece of trash. Moving to Chicago didn't change that. When you gonna let up the act and show that girl of yours who you really are?!" We're both standing now, and I can see people starting to stare.

"You know what, dad? Fuck you!" I yell, and the restaurant goes dead silent. Forks drop, heads turn, not a sound fills the air.

Grace rises up, pulling on my arm. "Isaac, let's go."

We step away from the table. Before turning around, I say one last thing to my dad. "Don't ever contact my family again."

And with that, I storm out of the restaurant. I angrily push open the front door and walk down the street. A mix of anger, hurt and confusion fill me. How could I think there was a slight chance of him being different.

Why did I think it was possible to have my father back?

Grace eventually catches up with me, reaching me down the street. She puts her arm on my shoulder, forcing me to stop pacing. I turn around and look at her, her emerald eyes shining even brighter in the night. Once I see them staring worriedly into mine, I completely break down.

All the walls come down once she embraces me, rubbing my back as I cry and cry and cry. Any attempt at being strong vanishes, and it's as if every bad emotion has filled me all at once to the point where I can't take it.

Soon enough my sobs fade, and I'm just left hugging Grace. I lift my head up, seeing her again, and with one last cry, I whisper;

"Why doesn't he want me?"

❁ ❁ ❁

Hi guys! Sorry it took so long to get this chapter up, I didn't know how to start it off. Anyways, I finally introduced Isaac's dad! I'd been waiting for this ever since chapter one. Too bad it wasn't a happy reunion though. :( New chapter coming soon! Stay tuned. Xoxo

-Acreativeblur

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.4K 1K 26
Joey Smith is not at all the usual girl. Living in LA helps her a lot. Her parents die when she's three and is sold off at four years old. Joey is tr...
59.9K 2.9K 50
(A Mafia Daughter Spin off) To most people, it would seem that Javiera was just another nobody. At age 24, she had no family, no connections, no tale...
155K 3.8K 44
completed (: "True strength is keeping everything together when everyone expects you to fall apart." Sam and Blake fighting? What's new. But this tim...
17.9K 899 29
Helena Walker can't believe Prince, Flynn Evans, asked her to be his fake girlfriend. After being hounded by his parents to get married by his twenty...