A Breach In Berlin

By saveprivfran

breach [breech] noun: the act or a result of breaking; break or rupture A breach could also be a violation o... More

Prologue
One - Ein - Reminiscing and Returns
Two - Zwei - Its Not Just A Gate Anymore
Three - Drei - The German Identity
Five - Funf - We Were Bound To Bunny Hop
Six - Sechs - Findings Of The Future
Seven - Sieben - Raised Voices and Relatives
Eight - Acht - The Gateway to the World
Nine - Neun - Waltz's and Worries
Ten - Zehn - Back for Good
Eleven - Elf - Spy in the Salient

Four - Vier - A Hairs Breadth From Hindenburg

38 7 2
By saveprivfran

6:25pm December 13th 2014, Berlin

Tonight, Mother Vermont was taking us to the opera. I was trying to get ready, perched on the stool in front of the mirror on the dresser, slowly drawing the eyeliner brush along my eyelid into a wing. Jared was on the phone. I was biting my tongue how the holiday before our wedding was turning out to be like any other holiday we've had. Jared could last two days without answering his phone or looking at his work email. But some stupid employee would forget he was on holiday and ring him. Suddenly, like a snap of the fingers, the laptop would be open, everyone was on speed dial and I could only force Jared to escape to do something for a few hours.

His phone seemed to be surgically attached to his hand and ear, like a teenage girl. But, of course he wasn't, I mean, his bicep flexed every time he lifted his phone to his ear or typed something on his laptop, his sleeves pulled up above his elbows. It that wasn't enough to make a girl swoon.

I wont lie and say I don't spend a lot of time on my phone because, I do. I could look through feeds and feeds of social media for hours and forget about everyone else. But, unlike Jared, I was capable of throwing my phone in a draw and taking myself away to read, or watch a movie in peace. There was a reason we had a cute little window seat in our house back home, and the reason was for my cinematic reading moments when I'd cuddle up with a hot cup of tea and a blanket and submerge myself in a love story I longed to live.

One thing the fiancée had done right for tonight was buy me a new dress. It was a beautiful red silk masterpiece that had a neckline that hugged the side of my shoulders, exposing all of my shoulders, and fell in a classy fifties swing skirt halfway down my calves. Add some jewellery and heels and I felt like Marilyn Monroe. I think it was the hair, Mother Vermont had spent hours styling and curling it, to then dump a can of hairspray on it. I lined and covered my lips with a red lipstick, only a slight shade darker than my dress. I slipped my fur-lined poncho great Grandma Vermont had given me years and years ago round my bare shoulders and slipped down to the lobby.

The Opera in Berlin was apparently always a must see, they were known for unusual and unique ways of presenting a story and writing unique (weird would be the word I'd use) songs to accompany it. Tonight, they were showing an adaptation of the Hunch Back of Notre Dame. Was Walt Disney okay with this? I could only think an opera would ruin it, but you shouldn't knock something before you try it, I guess.

The opera had duration of three hours with a half an hour interval halfway. It started at seven o'clock and therefore, expecting a prompt and punctual start, it would finish at half ten. It took Forty-five minutes to drive to this opera house. It was also the thirteenth and I knew it only held superstitious connotations when it was on a Friday, but I was still worrying.

I wanted to go see Kurt tonight.

Unlike the night I met him, it hadn't snowed in Berlin, yet. It didn't seem to show any signs of snow either, which made me sad. But, back to it being the thirteenth, even though it was a Saturday not a Friday, I still felt uneasy, even the atmosphere around me didn't feel right, like I knew something was going to happen and it wasn't even late, hell I wasn't even in the right century.

A taxi came at seven clock to take us to the opera, Jared was finally off the phone and mum was rambling about the opera and the 'spectacular reviews' it had received, trying to fill the awkward silence. You're probably thinking, why don't Grace and Jared talk more? Well, its just a little bit awkward when the parents are about and, I don't know much about his work to even discuss it with him. Trust me, we talk a lot more than right now. However, right now, I was slightly speechless around him. Jared attended numerous black tie events, but usually he would already be in London – where the majority of these evens were held- or in New York before the event would be announced. So this was one of the first times I had seen him in a suit and bow tie for a long time. I had forgotten just how handsome he looked in one too. The fresh white shirt clung and stretched over his chest and ever muscle that bulged out from under his skin. I was worried the buttons on his black jackets would pop off if he tried to button it up. He held himself a lot like Kurt did, with grace and authority over others, which back home he did. But he just looked fantastic, so fantastic I was at a loss for words as he walked through the lobby.

We arrived at the Konzerthaus in time, but I was surprised to see the opera being held here since it was mainly used for the orchestra instead. I wondered if Kurt liked the orchestra, I did, some classical pieces could be so beautiful and warming to the heart, it left a mark.

The building was even more spectacular than the two other churches in the square. I vaguely remembered this platz from last time. It was the Alexenderplatz, a small square inspired by the ones in Rome, yet the cathedrals and churches on either side were inspired and built in a French style. It left me in awe, two of my favourite cities, represented in a square and churches, all in Berlin, Germany. It was even more impressive at night, the marble domes of each church lit up like any other tourist attraction, the bell towers looming above you as the moon shone down on them. The Konzerthaus was also lit up, a red carpet running down the steps as other families and couples in beautiful dresses and smart suits ascended them.

Shockingly, The Hunch Back of Notre Dame Opera was surprisingly moving and the music hat had been composed for the adaptation left me speechless. Gone with the pop and jazzy sounding Disney songs, in with the slow, graceful sound of strings and gentle touch of piano keys. Jared had to hand me a tissue half way through.

"We're only half was through and I'm blubbering like an idiot, who the hell cries at the opera?" I sniffled.

"I told you, you get emotional over everything, you can't watch March of the Penguins without screaming at the camera man to save the bird!"

March of the Penguins was a documentary and I lasted half an hour before mating season came. In mating season if a female penguin doesn't find a mate, she takes herself off into the wild, and like a sacrifice she is bound to get killed. It made me cry every time.

"Jared, that penguin was sad and depressed and was going to die! All because no one loved it!"

"Baby, its nature, if we intervened it would ruin everything."

I scowled and dabbed at my eyes some more, praying my mascara hadn't run.

"You also look like a goddess tonight baby girl." He whispered into my ear and I smiled, I liked it when he did that.

10:55

I was running, running to these wretched heels down from the victory column and towards the Brandenburg gate. I was late, I was going to miss the chime and there would go my chance to get my gloves back, and see Kurt, of course...

I'd come up with a perfect excuse for the taxi to drop me off by the victory podium, telling my parents I wanted to walk back, get a bit fresher air after being in the stuffy, warm concert hall for the past few hours. They believed it, as long as I didn't stay out as late as I did last time, but I just gave Mother Vermont an eye roll before climbing out of the car. I was lucky enough that the taxi drive had managed to half the time of the journey from the opera. As soon as the taxi had disappeared and I knew Jared specifically couldn't see me, I check my watch and started running.

From my side of the Brandenburg gate, it was still up in lights, yellow and white, creating shadows that emphasised the yellow stone statues. But, as soon as I bounded up the steps and began to fast walk through the archways, the clock struck and on the other side, only streetlights lit up with area, casting small pools of light onto a fresh, glistening blanket of snow. This time, I smiled.

Stuffing my hands into the newfound pockets of the poncho, I tried not to skip with delight towards the side gates of the Reichstag. I was also thankful that Jared was a smart guy, even when it came to fashion, as he'd bought the heels to go with the dress and they weren't open toe, so my feet were safe from the icy snow. There was also very little breeze tonight, so my hair which had taken hours to style was holding up pretty well. Slowly I reached the pillar, practically hugging it as I poked my head round the edge to get a glimpse into the courtyard.

There was another boy there this time; even in the dim light I could see how young he was. He was dressed in the same uniform as Kurt, holding a gun as they stood guard, however unlike how calmly Kurt held his, the barrel was shaking and clicking constantly with his trembling hands, his glances were frantic and scared. I only stuck my head round for a couple of seconds hoping Kurt would notice me; after all I was stood under a lamppost. The taller of the two, assuming it was Kurt, leant over to the boy and said something, a wave of relief rolling over the boys face, his shoulders relaxing and his trembling stopped. Then moments later the boy was walking right past me and up round to the gardens that spread out in front of the Reichstag on the other side. I stood there for a moment until the boy was a bit further away his silouhette fading into the darkness up the street.

"Pssssttt," I heard Kurt shout in hushed tones, "fräulein!"

I giggled, get a freaking grip Grace, and stepped out into the entrance of the courtyard where the driveway started. The light from the lamppost still covered me and I knew he could see the dress, the smooth silk material shining in the light. He walked towards me, slowly as his eyes scanned every part of me that he could see.

"You're lucky its late fräulein," He almost whispered, his eyes finally meeting mine, yet he still had to look down, dammit, "Other men wouldn't be able to control themselves."

I laughed, side stepping him and walking round his body teasingly, so he spun round on his heels and followed me. This time he took slow, purposeful steps after me, his eyes scanning over me. He took his time for sure.

"Those men wouldn't be able to catch me at the pace I was running at." I laughed again.

"You ran?" His eyebrows rose in surprise and a small smile appeared already.

"We went to the opera and I had five minutes to get to the gate for eleven, naturally I ran." I shrugged, stepping into the cabin, the click of my heels causing him to look down.

"In high heels?" he stopped and stared at my feet, which were probably blue.

"Yes Kurt!" I laughed with an incredulous look on my face, "Stop asking questions and get inside!"

He chuckled, a deep masculine chuckle you could say, and once again it wasn't the cold that was just sending shivers down my spine. I sunk further down into my chair, hoping it would hide my blush as he sat down opposite me. He was another kind of intimidating, unlike me parents who were just scary. Even when he sat down he held himself tall and proud, pulling his chin up slightly until I raised a questioning eyebrow. He fell back down into his chair sheepishly as I smiled teasingly at him. I then broke the comfortable silence with a not so comfortable question for Kurt.

"So who was the boy you were stood with?" This only made Kurt sigh, a sigh filled with sorrow and lost hope.

"Das ist Roody," He played with the belt on his uniform, "He's eighteen, he just left high school and," He grimaced and almost whined in complaint, "he's just so scared."

Kurt sighed. It was another sigh of defeat, like he couldn't do anything for Roody to even save him from what was to come. Which, to an extent was true, war was unpredictable, you never knew when or where a bomb could drop or a where a battalion was hiding to spring an unexpected quick fire at you. It was like a game, stick or risk.

"Roody came from the village next to us, fräulein," Kurt finally looked up, pain in his eyes but none the less answering the questions I so desperately wanted to ask, "His father worked with mine, my mother and his are very close friends, it is my duty to protect him as much as I can."

It was my turn to sigh, "You shouldn't have been given such a big responsibility when making sure you survive, making sure you get through this with as little grief as possible, is the main priority."

"You're from the future," a hint of a sly smile appeared on his lips, "Can't you even check?"

"I don't even know if I want to, I couldn't cope with the grief of knowing what happened in the end," Then my frown deepened again, "hey, about that future thing, why aren't you scared? Or in the slightest bit suspicious?"

"I'm a soldier, I can't be scared fräulein, in a month I'll be wondering no mans land and seeing stranger sights than a woman from the future." He grinned, even chuckled, "I have to learn to be accepting, if I can't accept I'll go crazy for sure."

It was one thing I'd noticed, of the few negative things we'd mentioned: the cold, the war, my short temper, Kurtis Müller was one optimistic man. He chuckled as even the darkest, saddest things that could happen in life, the strange shocking sights he was bound to see while in the trenches and the possibility of the death of one of his closest friends, there was always a smile, sad or happy, playing on his lips.

The sound of echoing footsteps brought noise to our silence, Kurt turning round to see Roody running towards him, worry etched across his face as his boots pounded against the stone. He muttered something and stood up, looking out the window again.

"Hide Fräulein! Go!" He turned back to me and hissed.

I scrambled backwards, towards the back of the shed, finding a latch covered by spare coats and waterproofs and ducking out to the back of the cabin. I reached back in, grabbed a waterproof and threw myself under some tarpaulin that was sheltering some wooden boxes of food from the snow. I curled up as small as I could, almost to the same height as the boxes. I held my breath.

"Was ist es Roody?" Kurt spoke in German. (what is it Roody?)

"Field Marshal Hindenburg," He gasped, "Er ist heir!" (he is here)

Clearly this wasn't a good thing, as lots of cursing and shouting took place in the next few minutes while chairs and the table where screeched and turned into new positions and within five minutes the clatter of their heavy boots was heard against the cobble stones outside. I let out a small breath; trying not to start shaking with the slight panic and fear I was experiencing. In any normal circumstance, a field marshal didn't sound too daunting, but this was at the beginning of World War One and titles now had hidden identities. Put two and two together and Mr Hindenburg was no high school gym teacher, he was the strategic brain behind Germanys moves and decisions, relating to the army and air force, for the next four years. I could save him all the trouble and tell him not to bother, the English will still beat you, but I wasn't one for messing with time, movies taught me that.

A motor could be heard in the distance as it rolled up outside the cabin, its headlights catching the opposite end of the tarpaulin, thankfully not exposing me. I could hear Kurt talking, his voice surprisingly put me at ease, but maybe it was because he knew I was back here, so he would choose his words wisely as to avoid Hindenburg springing an inspection, or something like that. Then more footsteps, away from me this time, so I was safe, but hearing the word Reichstag could only mean they were going inside. Fantastic.

I lifted up my cover as quietly as I could, bending down onto my side to see through the gap. Yes, my eyes confirmed, they were walking up the steps through the back entrance of the home of politics of Germany. Did I ever mention Kurt looked fantastic from behind in uniform; I really did have a thing for broad shoulders, wow. The peak of his cap reflected the moonlight from above, as well as the ridges of his cheekbones that were still in need of a wash. I was going to have to arrange that, up close and personal, cleaning him up.

When Jared and me first started dating things like that was a real turn on for him. These little things made our relationship stronger. But that was when he'd fly over twice or three times a year for a week or two and then he'd be away to manage the business or attend a meeting, it was short moments of lust and love. Sitting in his lap in a t-shirt and a pair of his briefs, shaving away the stubble while he flicked shaving cream at me, which made me laugh. Come to think of it, it had been a while since he'd cracked a joke. I guess that was why I questioned us sometimes, because once he proposed, doing those little things stopped, like he'd reached his goal and there was nothing left to do to keep me interested. Jared being in a business like his and my parents connected to everyone and anyone in the same social class in our city, it made it impossible to call off an engagement. Everyone would know within a day and you'd be scorned upon for a few months, and it would ruin my parent's status. Calling it off would only occur in the very extreme of situations and just because Jared didn't really make me laugh anymore or cook me dinner every so often or show little acts of love didn't class me as extreme. In the world I lived in, I would just have to put up and shut up,

While I was away with the fairies, contemplating my decisions of the past five years, Kurt had returned alone. He lifted the tarpaulin up in one swift movement and pulled me up to him. Only was it when his gentle whisper broken the airy silence did I notice his presence.

"Fräulein?" He took up both my hands and squeezed them.

"Sorry, I was away with my thoughts." I timidly smiled, embarrassed.

"A cent for your thoughts?" I chuckled at his currency change, altering the original phrase.

"Another day maybe, its not that important really." I shrugged, finding the latch on the outside and stepping back into the cabin, its warmth was welcoming.

"Another day Ja?"

"I walked straight into that trap." I laughed and he laughed with me.

"Aber, your thoughts, at least to me, are important, remember that," He pointed a finger at me and pulled out his seat, "We are in a war fräulein, keeping worries and thoughts to ourselves will only add to our burden."

"I spent the last half hour worrying I would get caught!" A situation I now found myself laughing about, even Kurt was laughing.

"Ja, it's the first time I have met Hindenburg and it was very unexpected." He laughed, "Roody was terrified, thought he was going to be sent to the trenches early if he fell out of order."

I pouted at him, feeling sympathy towards the boy who was still inside. I could only imagine how many ways he had already thought of about surviving this war. I wouldn't even know where to start. Kurt saw my worried look and distant manor, so he leant forwards and took up y left hand, the right one he hadn't let go of. He pulled me round to face him.

"Everything will be just fine, fräulein." He searched my eyes, his full of earnest and sincerity.

Then I wrapped my hands round his, turning the tables and brought them up to my lips. I didn't kiss them, but just rested my lips against his muddy knuckles and closed my eyes, steadily breathing against them and inhaling his scent just so I wouldn't forget. I leant against them for a while, really praying Kurt was right.

Everything was going to be just fine.

************************

"Babe, where do you go when you take these late night walks?" Jared finally spoke after devouring his salted pretzel.

"I just go round the block, walk the Brandenburg gate, maybe walk up to the Reichstag and then cross the road and walk back to the hotel." I picked at my soft pretzel that had been drowned in cinnamon and sugar.

"But you're gone for hours, it only takes forty minutes at a constant pace."

"I like to sit on a bench sometimes if I go to the Reichstag, you should see it at night, its even more beautiful Jared."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 10.8K 59
This isn't a story for the faint of heart. This is a story about a girl who loved a boy. A boy who couldn't love her back. This is a story about the...
276K 5.1K 43
"Right then, I knew there was something different about you and I just...I needed to know you." ──・・𖥸・・── Myrtle Beach is just one of those cities w...
83.7K 4.9K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
11.1K 663 24
Book is completed! ✅ * January 2, 2020: placed third in romance category for the Duck Awards! The crash that broke through the last of her desperate...