Warriors: Pebblescar's Reality

By CloudtailGrandmas

A horror like no other rises up itself in the Clans, causing a disturbance that shakes the forest's roots. Pe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue

Chapter 24

1.4K 98 70
By CloudtailGrandmas

Chapter 24

A callous crackling breached the tainted silence as a swerving breeze swept prominently through the treetops. It carried a piercing whistle sharply defined by a chilling tone to its spiky song, jagged notes and an uneasy tempo conducted by a wayward cloud. Sorrowful leaves fell hopelessly to the ground, twirling in shattered hope and dying as they hit the ground silently. Misery hung in the atmosphere, and it couldn't be shook; it rattled bones of trespassers in a sadistic manner, no mercy shown in the wind.

Pitiful mewls echoed hopelessly through the air as they pulsed from a broken home. Terror twined in the ruckus and sparked the noise with youth, grief and loneliness prominent in such a wail. Secrecy lied with them as a presence hushed them sharply, but no form of discipline could silence such a call. Pebblescar couldn't suffice to his own wishes, however drastic they were.

Pattering forced him into a cold shiver, a light amount of rain crashing inside his lair against his pelt. He ushered the kits back to keep them away, but his thoughts seemed glued elsewhere. Reedkit whimpered softly, quietening himself as he was met with the ominous scowl he learned to fear. Pebblescar's promises never followed through; Reedkit missed the sanctuary of his Mother, longed for her reassurance in his perky little ear.

"I want Minnowfrost!" Rainkit squeaked defiantly, her confidence far greater than her brothers'.

Pebblescar grunted. "We have to go and save her, remember? From the ShadowClan warriors!"

He felt his eyes haze over as the scene he longed to make a reality washed over his senses. The blood of a treacherous foe dripping from his claws, the rush of triumph through his veins, and the loving gaze of Minnowfrost meeting his as she succumbed to him finally. He could almost feel her fur twining with his, smell her scent stronger than ever. He'd made such a perfect existence elsewhere, why was the correct one such a disappointment?

"Pebblescar, I'm hungry!"

Pebblescar snapped his head around and laid eyes on Pebblekit, his stare filled with need. He gulped in slight guilt as he admired the kits stature; his small paws shook violently, and the gentle sound of his belly rumbling caught his attention. He sighed quietly, pondering a solution.

"Why don't I go and find us some fish? You like fish, right?" he suggested uncertainly.

Pebblekit frowned. "It sounds yucky."

Rainkit nudged her brother gently, her intentions positive. "But RiverClan warriors always tell their apprentices that fish will make them strong!"

Reedkit lit up, his claws unsheathed ready to pounce. Pebblescar chuckled at the mere size of them; they resembled a shredded thorn. "We have to be strong to save Minnowfrost! Can we have fish, Pebblescar?"

He nosed the kit playfully, toying at his flyaway fur. "Of course, but you must promise to stay here while I'm gone."

Rainkit shuddered. "But what if the kit-eaters come?"

"They won't, I made sure of it," Pebblescar assured her patronisingly.

Reedkit rested his tail on his sister's back. "Besides, you have your big, strong brothers to take care of you!"

Pebblekit mumbled in agreement, gazing longingly out at the scene outside. Pebblescar frowned at the kits worrying curiosity, but he kept his frets to himself.

"Alright, I'll be back soon. And remember, stay here," he reminded them, bidding the kits goodbye.

He hauled himself out of the partially raised den he resided in, gazing back momentarily at the kits he left behind. Rainkit and Reedkit smiled broadly, but Pebblekit stared mournfully at him. What's the matter with that kit?

Pebblescar began towards the Thunderpath, its foul stench pulsing violently from its black soils. A monster gained on him, the blare of crashing pollution causing his ears to ring the closer he got. His fur flew sideways as it stormed past, making him yip in surprise. His paws felt warm as he pressed up on the path, darting his head from right to left to assure his safety. When a vacancy appeared, he thundered across and darted into RiverClan territory, pleased to be free of exposure.

Pebblescar panted and shook away the experience, searching for a river to fish from. He knew one trickled close to RiverClan camp, but the risk was one he wasn't willing to take. He pushed past several trees, feeling the occasional burr cling to his fur and push off again as he brushed against a remover. The bark felt sharper than usual, as though it were warding him away. Pebblescar eyed the tree intimidatingly, confronting his delusions. He was powerful, he was a threat; he wanted everyone and everything to know, anything that got in his way.

Minnowfrost... Minnowfrost... Rainkit... Reedkit... Pebblekit...

"What am I doing?"

Pebblescar halted with an unprovoked jolt and stared vacantly towards the ground. His eyes were widening slowly, though he kept his brow furrowed to form a frown. His fur bristled as his thoughts surged through his body, riddled with doubt and regret. He'd stolen kits, for what? He'd almost forgotten his reasoning, and whatever excuse he'd conjured up and forced himself to believe seemed worthless and meaningless. Their youth masked all accusation and sparks of realisation which meant his ideology faded into non-existence. He needed some cat to challenge him, to give him a purpose. Otherwise, the deaths, the kidnapping, the blood... It all meant nothing.

"Minnowfrost... She's making you weak."

Pebblescar gazed back at the same tree that'd challenged him, saw the wilting bark and weakness in its core. There he found his purpose; power and strength, that was what kept his heart pounding. He continued further, his head held high with such a reason keeping his paws moving. Every crusted leaf he trampled on, every flower that cowered and snapped at the stem as he strolled, it made him dominant. As long as he kept the weakness he knew lied inside him, his lust, repressed and buried, he could continue. He could kill again if given half a chance.

He pressed forward at a leisurely stroll, before the scent of fish filled his nose. He hadn't realised he'd walked far enough to gain such a sweet smell, but sure enough the harsh rushing of the stream caught his attention and pushed his ears forward. He felt the dirt beneath his feet begin to thin into a smoother stone, the colour similar to his pelt; he was camouflaged by pebbles, the irony struck him and forced a smile from him. He saw a small fish surge through the water and he licked his teeth hungrily. Can I catch that without trouble?

He dropped to a crouch and darted his head around, and just as he deemed the area vacant, a figure arose from the shadows. Surprised and worried, Pebblescar darted back into the trees, light dappling against his fur. A pale grey figure moved slowly and begrudgingly forward, their fur shaggy and old. He squinted to scan the cat closer, trying to define their features, and to his amazement, the hazel eyes of Troutstar met him. What's an old fool like him doing out here?

Troutstar lifted himself up with unease to the other side of the river, stretching his back out. He gazed dejectedly into the river and caught his rippled reflection. He sighed in a defeatist manner, dropping his haunches.

"I'm useless. I can't lead a Clan, Silvertail was right," he muttered.

Pebblescar tilted his head. What's wrong with him?

"Troutstar, I suppose I don't deserve that name anymore. I have no faith, and I'm not a leader. Not anymore," he grumbled to himself, his voice cracking at the mention of his demotion.

Pebblescar gasped sharply, his ears perked upright immediately. They kicked him out?! Good riddance, I guess.

Troutstar stomped with his right paw, hissing. "This is all Pebblescar's doing."

He paced around in a circle while Pebblescar waited for his expansion, unamused. The leader peered up at the skies to be met with a dismal drizzle, the clouds greyer than his mood.

"He was such a good cat, I would've been happy to leave him as Pebblestar. But the traitor had to do what he did, had to ruin the lives of every RiverClan cat in sight," he snarled, smacking the water.

Pebblescar chuckled to himself, but he realised there was no cat to mock the leader beside him. He winced, frowning and shuffling his paws sadly. Oakfire... Cinderclaw... I killed them first, I took away their lives.

"Those poor cats, whatever are their families to do? He left Minnowfrost's kits with no Father, RiverClan with no real deputy and a ton of grief. I can't begin to count the others... Bumblebuzz... Hailtail, and poor, poor Oakfire."

Pebblescar pressed his nose into his paws, the stench of blood filling his senses. No amount of grooming could shake that smell, it was engraved in his claws. He squeezed his eyes tightly shut and pursed his mouth firmly in case he wailed. I want that other reality to come back! I want to go back...

Troutstar huffed, staring into the water. "But you know who I feel most sorry for? Do you Pebblescar? You're up there, burning in the flames of the Dark Forest where you rightfully belong!"

Pebblescar whimpered, his eyes glistening. Troutstar wailed. "I feel sorry for Minnowfrost, and those poor kits I know you stole! If you were still here, I'd fight you until my last breath to avenge those little ones."

Pebblescar lifted his head up abruptly, inhaling sharply. A request he could finally suffice, at what cost? He could think of none, but his thoughts were not in line. He rose to his paws and crept out from the thicket he hid behind, his hackles raised. He snapped a twig and caught Troutstar's attention, and the leader went pale.

"Is that a proposal, Troutstar?" he asked with a snarl, leaping atop the opposite river bank.

Troutstar stepped back, breathing quickly. "You... How have you still survived with such a filthy conscience?! You should've ended yourself long ago."

Pebblescar smirked, grooming his paw. "RiverClan should've kicked you out long ago, it's only now they've realised how inferior you really are."

Troutstar hissed, lashing his tail. "You've been listening this entire time?! You waste of air, get out of here!"

Pebblescar stepped into the river, feeling the coolness of the water soothe his skin. He waded to the middle of the gushing stream and paused, staring the leader down.

"But the thing is, you said you'd fight me until your last breath if I still lived, and here I am. You're no liar, right Troutstar?"

The leader growled, stepping into the water in front of him. He kept a cautious stance as he slipped into the river, his hackles raised. Troutstar took a stride forward, standing whisker lengths from Pebblescar's grasp. But, neither struck. They simple stood in uncomfortable silence, anxiety riddling the leaders core. He scanned Pebblescar up and down, before unsheathing his claws.

"You're not the same cat anymore, and I'll gladly give my life to put an end to you."

Pebblescar yowled and lunged forward, scrabbling at Troutstar. The leader yipped and bounced back, his head slashed away. He hissed, launching himself as Pebblescar's shoulder and sinking his teeth into his flesh. He felt the grey tom rip at his leg, but Troutstar shredded his neck and he ripped a chunk of his shoulder away. Pebblescar wailed in agony, a flood of blood pouring from his wound. Troutstar licked his teeth as his opponent stood in shock; though he was old, he still had some fight left in him.

Pebblescar dived forward and ducked under the water, scratching at Troutstar's legs. The leader lifted one up to strike him, but he surged forward and pushed the leader up from his belly, sinking his claws into his tender flesh. Troutstar toppled into the water as Pebblescar swiftly bounded towards him, ripping at his belly as soon as he met with him. He screeched, muffled by the water, and hauled himself up. He gasped for breath, but before he could retain a fighting stance Pebblescar struck again, striking his neck with difficulty. He placed his paw on the back of his head and pushed it downwards in an attempt to drown him, but Troutstar twisted around and bit Pebblescar's neck. He drew back and the elder flailed in the water, scrabbling desperately back to his paws. Pebblescar saw he was tiring and smirked; it wouldn't be long until he met his end.

He yowled a curse to the sky and leaped atop Troutstar, his old back giving way under Pebblescar's weight. He pushed his front paw on his head and kept most of his balance on his back to hold him down. He panted as Troutstar tried to thrash at his hold, fighting for the chance to breathe. Bubbles pulsed from his mouth as he lost air and Pebblescar chuckled villainously; a death quick enough to cause no uproar, but slow enough to hurt.

"This is it Troutstar, StarClan's waiting for you," Pebblescar teased him as he screamed.

He spat. "Until your last breath, you said, but you took that a while before such an end, didn't you? Did you really think you could challenge me?"

Troutstar began to choke, his mouth and nose filling rapidly with fluid. Pebblescar pushed him down further, but the movement was for his own pleasure. The leader was growing weaker by the moment, his life seeping away.

"I can add your name to the cats I've slaughtered. Who is there now? Oakfire, Cinderclaw, Reedstorm, Hailtail, Bumblebuzz, Gartooth, there's probably more, and now Troutstar."

Troutstar began to cease struggling, his figure stiffening. Pebblescar lowered his head just above the surface and murmured into his ear. "Rot, Troutstar, rot."

The leader stopped fighting. The small bubbles that pushed up from his mouth stopped instantly, one lone, elder ball popping silently. Pebblescar felt his head lift, but not in a stance of battle. As he cautiously stepped off of Troutstar, his body lifted to the surface, but no life came from it. His hazel eyes dulled, his paws fell stiff. Troutstar was dead.

Pebblescar backed away from the body, staring straight at him in sickening victory. His blood wafted beneath the surface, his fur torn and floating aimlessly along the river, soon to be washed away. He shuddered, scrabbling at the river bank. He hauled himself out, his pelt dripping with a diluted red substance, and a pang of guilt struck his heart. He'd murdered the leader he'd served for so long, and he hadn't thought twice about it.

He whimpered sorrowfully. "I... I'm sorry Troutstar... I'm so sorry..."

Pebblescar fled the scene, gulping back wails and screams as he realised his sins. He bounded swiftly back to where he came, a plan pulsing through the thick wall of remorse blocking realism from view. He'd go back and take Minnowfrost's kits far away, far away from anywhere he knew. He'd find them a home, find them a queen who could take care of them, and he'd leave. He'd go further than his paws could take him until he died of exhaustion, suffering the same fate he'd bestowed upon all those cats. This is reality, this is what you've done. Minnowfrost doesn't love you, you're no longer RiverClan's deputy, and you're cold blooded murderer. This is what you've done, this is who you really are, Pebblescar. This is reality.

He halted and broke down into a mound of sorrow, wailing to the skies for forgiveness. Tears streamed down his face as he threw up shriek after shriek, his reality tumbling down before him. He took off the mask he'd been hiding behind, came out from the suit he'd covered himself with. He cried out for help, yowled for some cat to save him, but no-cat appeared. Pebblescar was alone.

Pawsteps thundered behind him, a chorus of throbbing ground and raised heartbeats bounding straight towards him. A grey shape, a battered soul, those same sparking hazel eyes. Troutstar's claws scrabbled at the ground as he pressed towards Pebblescar, an expression of pure hatred spitting from his lungs. He staggered to his paws, tears trickling down his cheeks as he came face to face with the cat he'd murdered minutes ago.

"You're dead!" he howled, readying himself from an unwanted battle.

"I've still got one life left. I saved it just for you," Troutstar yowled, launching himself at Pebblescar.

"No! I don't want to fight you anymore Troutstar, I don't want to kill anymore!" he wailed as the elder cat scratched at him ruthlessly.

"Tough, Pebblescar! Kill or be killed, your choice!"

I don't want to kill, but I don't have a choice either. Troutstar must die.

Pebblescar heaved the cat off and pushed him to the ground, unsheathing his claws and striking his neck almost immediately. It was the fastest way he knew, but the least noble. Pebblescar had no dignity left.

"I'm sorry for all I've done to you. Please, forgive me?" he begged, Troutstar's final life draining away. He'd had no time to put up a fight, but it seemed Pebblescar had found his power beneath his woe.

"F-forgive you?" Troutstar spluttered. "I'd," he broke into a bloody coughing fit. "I'd rather die!"

Pebblescar screeched as Troutstar choked on his own blood, his body jerking as his life seeped away once again. He wheezed profusely, before lying limp. His mouth gaped as blood trickled from it, his paws stretching out and stiffening, and those sparking hazel eyes clouded over, lifeless. Troutstar was dead, and Pebblescar screeched in agonising victory.

As a light drizzle showered Pebblescar as he screamed over Troutstar's body, a single cloud opened from the thick mob of dreary scenery. Pushing against the case in which it lied in, a starless figure rose from the stiffened body, catching Pebblescar's attention. A sharply defined silver soul stood beside its body, staring down sadly at what it had to leave behind.

"Troutstar? I'm sorry," Pebblescar whispered emotionally, his eyes bloodshot.

The spirit leaned forward and pressed his nose against Pebblescar's ear, murmuring quietly.

"Forgive you? I'd rather die."

Wandering forward and swishing his tail, his gaze fixed on the gaping hole in the sky. He flicked his whiskers contently, before staring back at Pebblescar and scowling.

"Pebblescar... Rot, Pebblescar, rot in flames."

~ Final chapter written by Hazel, stay tuned for the Epilogue coming soon. I'm honoured to have written such a dramatic chapter in a much loved story, and I hoped you all liked it ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397 5 24
Flamespark doesn't know, but there is someone after him.That someone is coming for him. Someone so powerful, that they could kill him with a swipe of...
130 32 15
Pebblepaw thought her life in RiverClan was perfect. She had friends, a caring mother and brother, and the deputy as her mentor. The only thing that...
87.3K 3.1K 67
Bloodshed has happened, ever since her birth. No one could stop her. A mass murderer. The Clans have been in fear for moons. ~~ Rainkit was born a mi...
5.1K 283 30
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 ⊹ ⤹⋆⸙͎۪۫。˚۰˚❀ུ۪˚⁀➷。˚⸙͎۪۫⋆ ༄ (Completed ! ) ⇝𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕓𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝕚𝕤 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕕-𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕕!⇝ ●•· 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕓𝕠�...