Late Night Conversations ✔ [C...

By JasminAMiller

{Highest Ranking: #2 in Short Story} One collision. Two strangers. One unorthodox way to pay off her debt. T... More

Chapter One - Just my luck
Chapter Two - My sweet nerves
Chapter Three - Excuse me?
Chapter Four - Unwelcome Interruption
Chapter Five - Can you keep a secret?
Chapter Six - Neutral ground
Chapter Seven - Brace yourself
Chapter Eight - Ray of Sunshine
Chapter Nine - Unexpected Invitation
Chapter Ten - Interrogation Part One
Chapter Eleven - Interrogation Part Two
Chapter Thirteen - One More Day
Chapter Fourteen - Meet & Greet Part I
Chapter Fifteen - Meet & Greet Part II
Chapter Sixteen - Epilogue

Chapter Twelve - Two Truths & One Lie

67.6K 3.8K 797
By JasminAMiller

Annabelle

"Anna, I have a new game for us today." Tyler's voice seems to be getting more enthusiastic by the day. I want to shake my head at that, but I can't really do that since I feel the exact same way.

"What is it, Tyler?" I can't hold back the silly grin on my face. If my friends or even my sister saw me at the moment and they would totally know that I'm talking to a guy. I'm sure I'd also hear a lot of kissing noises or something similarly childish.

"Two truths & one lie. You know how that goes, right? We take turns, telling each other two truths and one lie about our lives. The other person has to guess which one is the lie." He seems like he might actually burst from excitement at any moment. The thought of such an excited Tyler makes me laugh, until I realize that it will soon be reality, at least the part where I actually get to see him. Ok, that thought is always lurking at the back of my mind anyway, so I might as well enjoy this time right now.

"Yes, even I know that one." That makes me wonder what he thinks I do in my free time. We've never really talked about it much. Maybe he thinks I don't have any friends?

"Sweet. Should I start?"

"Sure."

"Ok. I'll go easy on you. I've met the president, I can play piano, and I am colorblind. There you go, Anna." He sounds proud of himself, and I wonder how long he's been sitting on that one. Even though I've heard and even watched this game before, I've actually never played it myself. I've always wondered what's easier to come up with, the truths or the lies.

"Alright. My guess is that your lie is that you've met the president." He really is going easy on me.

"Ha. Tricked you. That was a truth. The lie is that I'm colorblind."

The other answers I dismissed so easily are on replay in my mind. "Wait a second. You've met the freaking president? I can't believe it. That is so cool."

Tyler chuckles while I am freaking out right now. "Yeah, it was pretty awesome to meet him and his family. One of the perks in this industry is that you meet some pretty amazing people along the way."

"I can only imagine. Wow." Obviously words still seem to fail me.

"Enough about me. Your turn, Anna."

"Give me one moment to think about it. Ok, when I was a kid I wanted to be a race car driver, I hate the color red, and I'm a vegetarian." I smile, a little proud of myself at the moment.

"That's an easy one, Anna. You're supposed to make it hard to detect the lie, remember?" He sounds triumphant, and I gasp at his next words. "It's obviously a lie that you hate the color red."

"How...how on earth did you know that?" What normal person picks that one out of those three? My guess was no one, but I guess I was wrong.

"Well I could give you the long answer and tell you that I don't think you could ever love photography the way you do, when you really truly hate a certain color. I'd think that would put a huge damper on your experience and your love for it. Or I could just tell you that you were wearing a red shirt when I saw you at the cliffs."

We're both quiet for a second. The only sound is our quiet breathing, which is weirdly enough in sync.

"I keep forgetting that you actually saw me." I whisper.

"I don't." He whispers back.

After a moment Tyler clears his voice. "My turn again. Even though I definitely want to hear the story about the racing career one day." Another deep breath. "Ok, here we go. I've visited over 15 countries, I speak three languages, and I was voted most likely to succeed in high school."

"Tyler, stop making me jealous. I wish I could have one of those things be true for me. Let's see. This is hard, especially after I failed your first already. I'm not sure, but I'd say the high school one is a lie?" It was more of a question than a statement because I was so unsure.

"Ding, ding, ding. You're correct." He's trying to talk like a talk-show host and it sounds hilarious.

"I am? Woohoo. But Tyler, I can't believe your truths. That is crazy. I don't even have a passport. I dream a lot about all the places I want to see, but who knows when I'll be able to do that or if I ever will."

"Well, maybe we can change that at some point. You never know. I know you'd be in heaven with your camera." I don't have to see him to know that he's smiling at the moment.

"You are probably right. It would be awesome. Maybe one day."

"Yes, I'm sure of it. Ok, Anna. It's your turn one more time before I have to head out. Make it a good one."

"I'll try. I know how to juggle, I'm an absolute musical freak, and I'd like to have six kids." I know it can't compare to his truths, but that's all I've got. Everyone always tells me I should live a little more. Maybe I should start and listen to them sometime.

"I'm not totally sure, but please Anna, tell me it's the six kids?" He's groaning in my ear and I have to laugh.

"Ha, yes it is. I do want to have kids, but I think six would be a bit much."

"And here I am, thinking it was too early for the kids talk between us. Guess I was wrong." He chuckles quietly, and naturally I blush at what he just said.

Of course I didn't even think about the way he could take my statement. I want to face-palm myself, but refrain from it. I doubt it would be pretty.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it that way, Tyler." How embarrassing.

"Oh Anna, stop it already. I'm just teasing you. You should know by now how much I love to do that. It has become one of my favorite things over the past week. I can't wait to see you blush in person."

The red in my cheeks deepens. It seems as if Tyler might have a direct line to my blushing compartment.

"I'll be good now, Anna. I promise." One long exhale echoes through the line. "Time's up for today anyways. We'll talk again tomorrow, ok? For the last time before we'll meet. I can't wait, Anna. Have a good night, sunshine. Sweet dreams."

"You too, Tyler. Have a good night. Talk to you tomorrow." We both hang up at the same time and I'm glad. It's getting harder and harder to end our phone calls.

Only two more days.

How crazy.

*****

Thanks so much to each and every one of you for reading my stories! 💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

428 47 22
"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭'𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐱𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈'𝐦 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐭...
201K 5.1K 24
What could happen when an unknown number texts you? Nothing, right? - Hailee x original female character text AU
1M 55K 40
❝Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.❞ ❝That would be you.❞ ❝You're a smooth motherfucker, aren't you?❞ In which Nico desperately needs advice an...
277 22 14
A collection of short stories revolving around a 20-something year old female and her struggles in developing meaningful relationships. The first sto...