Reyr the Gold (Dragonwall Ser...

By addicted2dragons

After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovere... More

Title Page
Map Of Dragonwall
Prologue - A New World
Chapter 1 - The Dress Shop
Chapter 2 - Best Friends
Chapter 3 - A Bargain
Chapter 4 - A Proposition
Chapter 5 - The Society
Chapter 6 - Mage Targa
Chapter 7 - Conflicting Emotions
Chapter 8 - Talon's Intimidations
Chapter 9 - To Outfox a Goblin
Chapter 10 - The Trap
Chapter 11 - The City Market
Chapter 12 - The Watcher
Chapter 13: Claire's Dreams
Chapter 14: Journey to Redport
Chapter 15 - A Meeting of Forts
Chapter 16 - Womanhood
Chapter 17 - Gobelin Preparations
Chapter 18 - Sails Aflame
Chapter 19 - Reyr's Past
Chapter 20 - Port of Squall's End
Chapter 21 - The Gobelins are Coming
Chapter 22 - Of Handmaidens and Deals
Chapter 23 - The Garden
Chapter 24 - Passing Time
Chapter 25 - True Intentions
Chapter 26 - A Crack in the Wall
Chapter 27 - The Vodar
Chapter 28 - Ladies Can Fight Too
Chapter 29 - Close to Death
Chapter 30 - Dining With The Queen
Chapter 32 - Kane's New Plans
Chapter 33 - The King's Arrival
Chapter 34 - Argument in the Garden
Chapter 35 - The Prince of Esterpine
Chapter 36 - Byron's Decision
Chapter 37 - Request From the King
Chapter 38 - A Blunder of Words
Chapter 39 - An Opportune Moment
Chapter 40 - The Search for Claire
Chapter 41 - A Parallel Coincidence
Chapter 42 - The Cellar
Chapter 43 - King Talon's Vengeance
Chapter 44 - Hands of Comfort
Chapter 45 - The Claws of Fire
Chapter 46 - Torture
Chapter 47 - The End of a Voyage
Chapter 48 - Training as a Rider
Chapter 49 - A Fresh Start
Chapter 50 - The King's Notes
Chapter 51 - Preparations
Chapter 52 - Petitioning the King
Chapter 53 - A Black Ballgown
Chapter 54 - Dinner with Talon
Chapter 55 - Saying Goodbye
Chapter 56 - Hope
Author's Note

Chapter 31 - A New Guide

47.6K 3.6K 271
By addicted2dragons

Northern Barrier Range

Mikkin swatted at a low-hanging branch within arm's reach as he and Jamie continued their trek deeper into the mountains. The land they traversed was rugged and unforgiving. They had been walking for several days since capturing the Gobelin leader. Thus far they had gotten little information from it.

Several days prior, Mikkin promised that no harm would come to the creature if it surrendered. Now he regretted this. He was tempted to hold a knife to its neck if the Gobelin didn't volunteer some information. Trekking through the range was difficult work. More often than not, they ran into impassable areas—rivers, cliffs, vertical rock walls—requiring them to double back and work their way around.

Mikkin knew the Gobelin was hiding something. When they encountered difficult terrain, the wretch often smirked as though it knew something they did not. Perhaps it was simply happy with their failures, after all, they killed its comrades.

As they walked, Mikkin spared a glance for the wretched creature. It plodded along, tethered to its rope. Its short legs gave slow strides, and that meant slower progress, which left Mikkin scowling. The Gobelin noticed his scrutiny and offered him a wicked grin. He quickly turned his gaze away and focused on the way forward.

As the day progressed, his frustration grew. By evening, he'd had enough. He presented the Gobelin with an ultimatum. "Unka"—that was the creature's name—"I have a proposition for you. I believe we can both benefit from it, but that depends on your cooperation." He let his words sink in before adding, "I know you know, so tell us: where are the wild dragons hiding?"

"Unka not know." Unka looked away, pretending to ignore Mikkin.

"You're lying!" Jamie cried, allowing frustration to seep into his voice.

"Jamie, let me handle this."

The lad scowled, but he held his silence after that.

"Unka, we know the dragons have a lair in these mountains. We've seen them flying overhead. Now, I am not a betting man, but I'd reckon you know how to find them far better than me."

Unka squared his shoulders and grunted.

"My deal is this: you show us to their lair, and I will set you free. I have lived up to my word thus far. I have not harmed you, have I?"

Unka's face puckered as his green skin pulled into wrinkles. Then he scowled. Gobelins were rather dim-witted creatures where critical thinking was concerned. However, Mikkin could tell that Unka was considering his words, despite the hard work of it. At last Unka's expression changed. "Bad idea traveling to lair. More than dragons there."

"What do you mean?" Mikkin scowled as he was met with silence. "Unka, tell me. What more is there?"

"A sorcerer." The word was spoken as a hiss. An evil glint appeared in Unka's eyes, which now glittered in the firelight like little black orbs. No soul liked captivity, and most liked their captors even less. The little Gobelin would be thrilled to see Mikkin and Jamie fall into the hands of a powerful magical being—especially a sorcerer.

Mikkin considered Unka's words. No dragon of legend cooperated with any of the sorcerers. Some said that dragons killed all the ancient sorcerers out of cold-blooded hatred. "I don't believe you, Unka," Mikkin said at last. "Why would there be a sorcerer with the dragons?"

"I no lie. I knows."

"How? How do you know?"

"Kane." The name was spoken with a snaky hiss. Mikkin's skin crawled. Magic did things—made a person uneasy. Evil magic was even worse. If Kane was real—if hearing his name created discomfort—perhaps Unka was telling the truth.

"How do you know this sorcerer—this Kane?" Mikkin asked.

"Kane commanded Gobelins to patrol, so I patrol."

"Is that so? Is that how you found us?"

"Yes."

The little wretch seemed to be enjoying their discomfort. The dragon lair was one thing, a sorcerer was another. With dragons, the mission was all but impossible. With a sorcerer, it was beyond impossible. Mikkin's stomach sank. "Does the sorcerer keep in close proximity to the dragons?" he asked, his voice flat.

The Gobelin shot him a defiant look.

"Do you wish to go free or not?" Mikkin pinned him with a hard stare.

"The sorcerer not live in lair. His fortress apart."

"Fortress?" Mikkin glanced at Jamie. The lad was wide-eyed. "What fortress?" he asked.

"Shadowkeep." The Gobelin spoke the name like a curse.

Once more Mikkin was left shuddering as a sense of foreboding settled upon him. Yet, he was determined to overpower his unease. "You will take us to this Shadowkeep place, Unka. And if you do, you have my word that you will be set free."

"As you wish," Unka said. Mikkin wasn't sure if it was the firelight, but he saw a wicked gleam in Unka's eyes.

The next morning, the three of them set off. This time Unka took the lead. It was much easier traveling with a guide. He was right that Unka knew exactly where to go. The Gobelin had a knack for navigating. They didn't get lost or delayed a single time.

"Are you sure we can trust him?" Jamie whispered when they stopped for water. The river they followed was loud enough to mask their voices. Unka was given an extra length of rope to relieve himself in semi-privacy.

"I trust him as much as you do, lad, but what choice do we have?"

Jamie shrugged. "I fear that he will lead us astray, or worse, directly to the sorcerer himself." Jamie glanced over at the Gobelin with an expression of contempt.

"Yes, I have considered that." Mikkin frowned. Despite enjoying the company of another, he regretted bringing Jamie along. A traveling companion was one thing—a fighting companion was another. Jamie was not a good fit for the upcoming task; he had a family and a good life.

Mikkin, on the other hand, had nothing, and as he watched the lad over the progressing days, he saw Jamie change. The lad grew more disgruntled with each passing day. He missed his parents; he missed his old life. Who could blame him?

They traveled for four days, guided by Unka, before Unka stopped and uttered the words they had been waiting for. "We here."

"Where is here?" Jamie growled. "I see no dragons."

"Easy, lad. No need to get worked up."

"Must creep careful now," Unka gestured sharply. "Dragons smart."

"Wait a moment, do you hear that?" Mikkin was hesitant. He picked up a strange beating noise, as if the sky had drums. They grew very still. Then, from far overhead, several large masses flew by. Shadows flickered in the trees, dancing and jumping. Mikkin's doubt turned to fear, then it turned to hatred. All too soon, the light returned. Everyone blinked several times, glancing at each other as if to confirm what had just happened. Fortunately, the trees offered good cover. That was a blessing.

"We sneak now," Unka said. "Then after I free. I go."

"You will be free to go once you have delivered on your end of the bargain," Mikkin eyed him.

Unka offered a solemn nod.

From tree to tree they crept, silently placing their feet. Mikkin was too afraid to speak. Each time his feet made a noise, he cringed. The closer they got, the more his mind seemed to slow.

How much did he know about dragons, anyway? What weapon was sharp enough to pierce unpierceable scales? What fire hot enough to melt their hides? What weak spots did they have? Only their eyes?

He was so intent on finding the beasts, that he had willingly ignored all other thoughts of strategy. He needed to figure out what came next; he needed a plan.

He would study them first, discover their routines, the times they slept, hunted, stretched their wings...Then he would use his knowledge. He would attack the red one first—the one responsible for taking Mardra from him.

"Shhh! No sound." The Gobelin turned to them, scowling. The forest trees had cleared revealing a lake whose dark glassy surface looked like ice. "It called Ice Lake," Unka said.

They hid behind a large pine tree to keep out of view. Mikkin's eyes flicked back and forth, captivated. Dragons of every color dipped and darted over the lake. Some dove at the water to catch fish, others glided in large, lazy circles. There were many.

Squinting, he scanned each of the beasts visible. There were a number of red dragons, but none of them were the exact shade of dark blood he was looking for. Beside him, Jamie's breathing was heavy. He glanced over and saw the lad's shocked face.

"Where is their lair?" Mikkin whispered to Unka. The Gobelin pointed to a rocky outcrop looming over the lake. There, Mikkin saw a large cave entrance now—with dragons. "And Shadowkeep?"

Unka pointed in the opposite direction to the other side of the lake. Resting atop a large peak sat Shadowkeep. Its giant, rocky ramparts blended with the cliff face below making it hardly discernible. He might never have spotted it. There was no question in his mind as to why Kane had chosen it. The fortress was aptly named too. Its cliff face cast a long, dark shadow upon the ravine and lake below. Even looking upon it made him anxious.

Eager to be out of its sight, Mikkin led them away to the shelter of the trees.

"I show you. Now I free," Unka said when they were safely out of range.

"Yes, it would seem so." Mikkin did not immediately move to untie the Gobelin. "How do I know that once I untie you, you won't go running directly to Kane?"

"I promise. I go other way." Unka pointed in a direction away from the lake.

Mikkin hardly believed the little wretch.

"I give word. Like you. You untie. I leave. Unka no like evil sorcerer."

"And you also know that if you so much as attempt to attack Jamie or I, that we will use your own Gobelin-made steel to slit your throat?" He figured that much would be obvious, but he threw it out there for good measure.

"No attack. Just leave."

"Very well."

Mikkin reached for his knife.

"You are going to let him go?" Jamie sputtered. "What if he tells Kane we are here? What if he tries to kill us? You actually believe him?"

Mikkin sighed. "No lad, I do not. But I gave him my word and I am a man of my word."

Jamie pursed his lips and shook his head.

With the ropes cut, Unka was free to go and go he did. As promised, he left in the opposite direction. Even still, Mikkin did not trust the tricky little urchin. It was only a matter of time before the Gobelin worked his way around the lake and paid the sorcerer a visit.

Mikkin supposed that he could kill Unka. Part of his mind screamed for him to do it. All he had to do was grab his bow, notch the bowstrings, and load an arrow. The Gobelin, whose back was now turned upon them as it retreated, would be none the wiser. Mikkin shook his head; he couldn't bring himself to it. Moments later, Unka disappeared into the underbrush.

They sat for some time after Unka left. Mikkin was not eager to begin his observations of the dragons. Furthermore, he was even less keen to tell Jamie that the lad would not be participating. So, he stayed put and dwelled on his thoughts.

Jamie spoke at last. "We should find a safer place to set our camp. Somewhere hidden."

"Smart lad, we should indeed." Happy to have something to occupy his mind, Mikkin stood and they set forth, making their way further from the lake. As luck would have it, they found a small cave with plenty of overgrowth disguising the entrance. Then they deposited their packs within. They both knew that there would be no campfires.

"I am going to go take another look at the lake," Mikkin said when they finished. "I want to study the lair."

"I'll accompany you, give me a moment to finish tying this together."

"No, I need you to stay here."

The lad gave him a surprised look.

"I promised your father I would not risk your life. Until I better understand the dragons, I want you out of sight."

"Surely you don't mean it!" Jamie said, growing angry. "I did not come all this way to sit and do nothing."

"You came to help me find the lair. We have found it. While I appreciate your company, it is best if you stay put, at least for now. This cave will offer a good hiding place for you."

"And what if I refuse?"

Mikkin sighed. "Look, lad, I know you are eager for adventure. Gods only know I was at your age. But this isn't something ordinary—we are dealing with beastly dragons here. I had half a mind to simply send you home before we found this cave. Now I am giving you the option to shelter yourself while you wait."

"We have been practicing with our swords nearly every night since we got them!" Jamie cried. "You do not think I am capable of defending myself?"

"No, I don't! Not against dragons. I will likely die when it comes time. Need I remind you again that I made a promise to your father?"

Jamie scowled before he stalked off to the corner of the cave and plopped down onto the ground.

"I will return soon. If I do not, you may assume the worst and leave this place." Then he turned and left the cave. 

⭐🌟 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!🌟⭐

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 3K 82
Magic or family? The choice will change her life forever. *** Lillith Hemlock is the last i...
982 67 20
🥀Heat licks up my bones and into the surrounding skin, my groan of pleasure joining Damaris's low growl of desire. However, his lips stay as gentle...
7.7K 770 40
A poor girl born with a gift, A lost princess with an unknown destiny A handsome duke with fate on his hands A mysterious stranger who feels familia...
1M 91.5K 51
Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the forest, all the way to Esterpine, to study wi...