Finding Emma

By lbt_fan

It is 2007, Boondocks has made it big. Daisy and Penelopi are cute and adorable babies. Karen and Jimi have b... More

Holding it Together
Staying Away
Stay all Night
What Do We Do?
Letting Her Go
Everything Changes
Can't Go Back
A New Beginning
So This is What it's Like
What Happens Next
First Christmas
The Road to Adoption
Breaking the News
An Actual Family
Leading up to the Talent Show
Happy Anniversary
Bad Decisions
It's Summertime
Carnival Ride
Creating The Reason Why
Unexpected
How Do We Tell Her?
The Big Announcement
Happy Memories
He's Coming
He's Here
He's Home
Back on the Road
What Happened to My Wife?
The Aftermath
Moving On
Emma's First Date
Elijah's First Christmas
Elijah's First Birthday
Skipping Ahead
It All Started with a Trip to the Hospital
Author's Note

Boys and Stuff

469 4 1
By lbt_fan

After lunch everyone cleaned up and the kids played outside. Emma put Elijah in the baby swing and Daisy climbed onto a regular swing and Emma pushed them both. After the adults cleaned up, they went outside and sat on the patio and watched the kids play. Karen snapped a few photos on her phone. They stayed and talked for a little while. "We should probably get going, it's almost time for Elijah's afternoon nap" Karen said when she noticed Elijah dozing off in the swing. "Alright, Thanks for coming guys" Kimberly said. Karen walked over to the swing and picked Elijah up and carried him to the car. Jimi and Emma went inside and grabbed the diaper bag. Everyone walked over to Karen and Jimi's car and Kimberly gave everyone a hug. "I guess we'll see you guys next week when we do our next show" Kimberly said. "Yep" Karen said and gave her friend one last hug. Karen hopped in the car and they drove home.

........................................................................................................................................................................

On the drive home, Emma's phone buzzed. It was a text from Jake.

"Hey are you free to talk?" Jake sent.

"Yeah, we're on our way home from my aunt's house" Emma replied.

"You're just leaving now?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, usually when we go over to her house we spend a few hours there" Emma replied.

"I see. Are you and your aunt close?" He asked.

"Yeah I would say so. She's not technically my aunt. She's my mom's best friend, but I call her my aunt. All of my family lives out of state" She responded.

"That's cool. Where does your family live?" Jake asked.

"Mostly in Alabama and Georgia, with a few in Indiana as well" Emma replied.

"Nice. My family is all in Tennessee" Jake replied.

"That's cool. At least you don't have to travel far to see them like I do" Emma replied.

"That's true" he said.

"We should hang out again" Jake added.

"I would like that" Emma replied.

She was smiling at her phone and Karen noticed. "What's got you all smiley back there?" Karen asked. Emma looked up from her phone. "Me?" Emma asked. "Yeah you" Karen said and giggled. "Oh, it's nothing" Emma said. "It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain boy you met at the park now would it?" Karen asked with a smile on her face. Emma's cheeks started to get all rosy. "Maybe" Emma said shyly. Jimi just kind of ignored the conversation between his wife and daughter. He couldn't stand to think about his daughter growing up and starting to date. In his eyes, she is still his little girl.

Jimi pulled into the driveway and everyone got out of the car and went inside. Karen went upstairs and put Elijah in his crib for his nap. Emma sat down on the couch and continued texting Jake.

"We should go see a movie on Friday" Jake suggested.

"That would be fun. I will have to ask my parents. My dad might be a little bit difficult to convince, but if my mom has anything to say about it, I should be good" Emma replied.

"Are your parents strict?" Jake asked.

"I don't think they are. They have their rules and stuff, but I don't mind them. It's better than having parents who don't care at all. I've been through plenty of homes in the foster system with parent who don't care." Emma replied.

"How long were you in the foster system before you were adopted?" He asked.

"Basically since the day I was born until I turned 11" Emma replied.

"Wow, that a long time. How many homes were you in?" He asked.

"8 different homes in 10 years and 3 of them I don't even remember because I was too little" Emma replied.

"Wow, that's a lot. How did you end up where you are now?" He asked.

"Now, that's a long story that I would rather not tell over text message. It would take too long. Lol" Emma replied.

"I guess you'll have to tell me the next time I see you" Jake said.

"I guess so" Emma said.

"I'm going to talk to my parents about the movies since my little brother is asleep" Emma said.

"Let me know how it goes" Jake said.

"I will" Emma responded and set her phone down on the end table next to the couch.

........................................................................................................................................................................

Emma got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. Her mom was unloading the dishwasher and she saw her dad outside doing some yard work. It was the perfect time to ask Karen about seeing a movie with Jake in Friday. She knew if she asked her mom first, she could convince her dad to agree and let Emma go. Emma sat down on a stool and rested her hands on the counter and intertwined her fingers together. "Can I talk to you about something?" She asked nervously. "Sure sweetie" Karen replied. "So, you know how I met Jake this morning at the park?" Emma asked. "Yes" Karen said. "You know how he gave me his number and stuff?" Emma continued. Karen nodded, she knew exactly where this conversation was going. "We've been texting for a while today, and he asked me if I wanted to go to a movie with him on Friday. I told him I wanted to go, but I said I would have to ask you and Dad first. So I was wondering if I could go." Emma finished. Karen fished up putting the dishes away and closed the dishwasher. "I will have to think about it and talk to your dad before I make any final decisions" Karen said. "Ok" Emma said and looked down at the counter. "Your dad would be furious if I said you could go on a date with a boy without consulting him first. You know how he is" Karen said and giggled. "Yeah, he's kinda over protective isn't he?" Emma said. Karen pulled out a stool and sat next to Emma "When it comes to his little girl, of course he is" Karen said with a smile and wrapped her arm around her shoulder. "He is just trying to protect you" she added. "I know" Emma said. "I kind of like having a dad who is overprotective" Emma said with a smile. "Trust me, Grandpa was the same way with Kelly and I when we were growing up" Karen said. "I could see it" Emma said with a giggle. "But don't worry, I will talk to your dad about it tonight" Karen said and kissed the side of Emma's head.

Jimi came back in the house about an hour later. "What are you ladies up to?" he asked. "Just girl talk, that's all" Karen said with a smile. "Ok" Jimi said. They heard Elijah in the baby monitor. Karen started to get up off of her stool "I can get him. I'm going upstairs anyways" Jimi said. "Alright" Karen replied and sat back down. Karen and Emma went in the living room and sat down on the couch. "Can we watch a movie?" Emma asked. "Sure, put one in" Karen said. Emma went over to the DVD shelf and sat down on the ground and started looking through them. She turned her head towards Karen "Any requests?" she asked. "I don't really care what we watch as long as it isn't a scary movie" Karen said. "So Friday the 13th is a no then" Emma said and giggled. "Yes it is" Karen said with a laugh. "How about 'The Blind Side'?" Emma asked. "Sure, sounds good to me" Karen said. Emma grabbed the DVD and put it in and turned on the TV. She sat back down on the couch. A few minutes later Jimi came downstairs in clean clothes with Elijah on his hip. "What are we watching?" he asked as he set Elijah down next to his toys. "The Blind Side" Emma said. "This is a good movie" he said and sat down next to Karen.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

They finished up the movie and it was time to start dinner. "What do you guys want for dinner?" Karen asked as she turned off the TV. "I'm up for anything" Jimi said. "Me too" Emma added. "Alright fine, but I don't want to hear any complaining when I'm finished since neither of you gave your input" Karen said with a giggle. "Don't worry, babe. We won't" Jimi said. Karen smiled at them and walked into the kitchen. "Jimi, Elijah needs a diaper change. It's been a few hours since his last one" Karen yelled from the kitchen. "I'm on it" he replied.

Emma got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. "Mama, do you want any help?" Emma asked. "Umm....You can rinse off the green beans that are in the fridge" Karen said. "Ok" Emma said and walked over to the fridge and pulled out the container of beans. She walked over to the sink and started washing them off.

Jimi finished changing Elijah and carried him into the kitchen and set him in his bouncer and gave him some toys to play with. He then walked over to Karen, who was chopping potatoes, and wrapped his arms around her waist. He kissed her neck which made Karen giggle. "Watcha making?" He asked her. "Chicken and potatoes with green beans" She replied. "That sounds delicious" Jimi said. "Would you like any help?" he asked her with his arms still wrapped around her. "Could you grab me a casserole dish out of the cupboard please?" Karen replied. "Of course" Jimi said and kissed her cheek. Jimi unwrapped his arms from her waist and walked over to get the dish. He set it down next to Karen and she laid the chicken she had seasoned in the dish. Then she spread out the potatoes and added some salt and pepper to them. She covered it with foil and put it in the oven. Emma finished rinsing the beans and brought them over to Karen. "Thank you sweetie" Karen said. She put them in a pan and started sautéing them in butter.

The chicken and potatoes were just about finished and Emma and Jimi set the table. Karen pulled out the food from the oven and bought it over to the table. Jimi put Elijah in his high chair and Karen mashed up some of the potatoes and put them on his tray. He dug in right away and everyone laughed. They served themselves and started eating. They enjoyed their time together as a family.

Dinner was over and everyone helped clean up. When Elijah was finally done eating, Karen pulled him out of his chair and cleaned him up. She took him upstairs to get a bath. Elijah loves bath time and most of the water ends up on Karen rather than in the tub.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

It was around 8:00 that night and Karen had put Elijah to bed. Jimi and Emma were downstairs watching TV. Karen went downstairs and sat next to Jimi on the couch. She scooted closer to him and he wrapped his arm around her. Jimi and Karen occupied one half of the couch while Emma occupied the other half. She had her head resting on the arm of the couch with her feet next to Karen's legs.

About an hour and a half later, Emma was asleep and Karen could hardly keep her eyes open. Jimi looked down at the two of them. He kissed Karen on the top of her head and she looked up at him. "Why don't we go up to bed" Jimi suggested. "Alright" Karen said with a yawn. "I'll grab Emma and put her to bed" Jimi said. "Ok" Karen said and smiled at him. Karen walked up the stairs. Jimi picked up Emma and carried her to her room. He laid her in her bed and pulled the covers up and tucked her in. He gave her a kiss on her forehead and walked out of her room.

He walked across the hall to his own room. Karen was lying in bed. Jimi put on his pajamas and brushed his teeth. He walked over to the bed and crawled in. Karen curled up next to him and he wrapped her in his arms and kissed her forehead.

"I have to talk to you about Emma" Karen said. "What about Emma?" Jimi asked worriedly. "The boy she met this morning, Jake, asked her to go to the movies on Friday. I think we should let her go." Karen started. "She's not going. She's too young to date" Jimi said. "Babe, I went on my first date when I was 13" Karen said. "That doesn't mean Emma has to" Jimi said. "She's not a little girl anymore, Jimi" she said. "But she's my little girl" Jimi said. "She will always be your little girl, babe" Karen said and looked up at him. Jimi smiled at her and kissed her. There was a long silence. "I guess she can go to the movies with Jake" Jimi said. "But I want to take her and drop her off and meet this boy. And she is only allowed to go to the movies and nowhere else" Jimi said. "Do you want to pick her up too?" Karen said with a hint of sarcasm. "Yes, as a matter of fact I do" Jimi said. "Ok babe" Karen said with a small laugh. "I love you, you know that" Karen added. "And I love you" Jimi said and kissed her. "Let's get some sleep" Karen said. "Good idea" Jimi said and kissed her forehead. Karen rested her head on his chest and they both drifted off.        

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

966K 40.6K 82
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
380K 23.9K 87
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
992K 17.2K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
39.4K 580 18
Yes I can speak Yes I know how to But I chose to keep quiet I'm Lauren Marais and this is how I survived -He was the protector and she was the surv...