My Shadow

By Someone_x

When Elizabeth-Jane's brother dies of smallpox, she decides to run away but an unfortunate event causes her t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five ~Part One~
Chapter Twenty-Five ~Part Two~
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven ~Epilogue~

Chapter Six

164 11 0
By Someone_x

Chapter Six

“Edward, darling! Can you bring everyone to the living room?” Catherine called her son. By everyone, Edward thought she meant Lizzy too. Whether she did or not, she didn’t stop Lizzy from entering the library.

Edward noticed at once that his father was not there. They all took a seat, Lizzy on the floor, her back resting against Eddy’s chair. When they were settled the door opened again and Charles walked in, followed by a girl. “This,” Charles said, waving a hand at the girl. “Is Anne.” The girl, Anne, smiled and curtsied slightly. They took the two remaining chairs in the room.

“Why is Anne here?” Louis asked. Edward was glad that Louis had asked that question and not himself.

“We have a special announcement to make!” Catherine cried, beaming at us all.

“Especially for you, Edward!” Charles added. Louis, Edward and Lizzy all wondered why they were getting so excited.

“This, Edward, is your bride-to-be!” Catherine announced. “It is all arranged!” Eddy took one glance at Lizzy who had stood up from the floor. She ran to the door and disappeared out of the room. Edward got up to follow but his mother pushed him back into his seat.

“Let her go, let her run.” Catherine said.

Alone in her room, Lizzy let the tears fall. She knew there had been something not right about Catherine from the day she woke. She had probably been planning this all along. But, it wasn’t as if she actually felt something more than friendship towards any of the boys here. So, why was she crying? Lizzy couldn’t answer that herself.

She did not know how much later it was but she felt arms wrap around her. “Stop crying, Lizzy.” Lizzy relaxed as soon as she realised who it was. She gulped back the rest of her tears and wiped the ones threatening to fall from her eyes. She turned to face Eddy.

“Why are you crying?” he asked.

“No reason.” Lizzy replied.

“There must be.”

“Maybe there is, maybe there is not.”

“You can tell me, you know.” Eddy said.

“I think I shall keep this reason to myself.” Lizzy said.

“I did not think my mother would do that.”

“It is fine; I knew she was planning something. Anyway, I am happy for you, you are like a brother to me.” Lizzy said.

“A brother?” Eddy asked, he sounded a little disappointed.

“Yes, a brother.” Lizzy replied. Eddy sighed and hugged Lizzy. Lizzy closed her eyes. Eddy lifted her head with his fingers and leant forward. He gently let his lips meet hers. She gasped and stumbled backwards.

“Edward!” she hissed.

“I am sorry, Lizzy!” Eddy apologised. His expression was one of regret and sadness.

“I am sorry; I was not expecting it to happen. Will you be in trouble?”

“Not if no one knows.” Eddy said, he tapped the side of his nose and left the room.

~*~

Edward recognised Anne as the girl he had danced with from his party. He didn’t know how he knew she was the same one; he hadn’t really been focused that night. She was staying the rest of the week, according to his parents.

It was now supper and Eddy was bracing himself for it. He opened the door to find everyone else sat down. There was no Lizzy at the table. Instead, in her place, was Anne. She smiled at him but it was forced-Eddy could see that. His parents thought that it was real. That was good, in a way. He knew that Anne didn’t really like him. Not as his parents wanted her to at any rate.

He took his seat and the meal was served. There was silence for the first few moments, and then his mother spoke. “Of course, when Anne comes to live with us which will be soon, there will be no room for Elizabeth-Jane.” Edward stared at her. “So, as soon as the doctor deems her fit which shall be tomorrow, then she will have to go.”

“How do you know that it will be tomorrow?” Edward asked.

“He told me that she will be back to normal in a few hours and what is it to you?”

“I was just wondering why you had to throw out a homeless girl.” Eddy replied.

“She has a home, she has a family.”

“But she does not know who they are.” Edward retorted.

“She will when she sees them.” Catherine replied calmly.

“And what if she does not?” Anne spoke this time.

“Then she will have to learn to remember.” Catherine said indifferently.

“When does she leave?” Louis asked quietly.

“Next week, maybe.” Catherine said, although she sounded unsure.

~*~

For the next three days, everyone was quiet. Eddy saw less of Lizzy than usual and she hardly ever left her room. Anne was forced to stay with him most of the time. Today, though, she decided to say something.

“Edward, I know how much you love Lizzy. I understand that. I feel the same way about someone else. Someone your parents would definitely not let me see. They are stuck on the fact that I should marry you. I do not want to, no feeling hurt hopefully.”

“To tell you the truth, I do not want to marry you either.” Eddy admitted.

“I have an idea, but you are not allowed to know.” Anne said and hurried out of the room. Edward went to the window and looked out. He saw his best friend, Thomas fencing with...was that Lizzy? He peered closer. It was! Lizzy was fencing...and winning.

Edward backed from the window and hurried outside to watch. When they had done, Edward congratulated Lizzy on winning. “I did not think you were so good.” Eddy said.

“I may be able to beat you!” Lizzy said.

“Want to try?” Eddy asked.

“Is this a competition?” Lizzy asked, grinning.

“It may be.” Eddy smirked.

“Challenge accepted.” Lizzy replied.

Edward got ready and faced Lizzy they began to fight. Thomas was there, giving Lizzy pointers.

Their fight was interrupted by someone calling Lizzy’s name. Both swords dropped to the floor as they looked to the door. “You are not meant to be fighting!” It was Anne. She looked shocked.

Lizzy picked up her sword and passed it to Thomas who took it and went to pick up Edward’s sword. “Thomas, Catherine would like to see you.” Anne said. Thomas nodded and leant the swords against the side of a stable before entering the castle.

“Edward, your father wishes to speak to you. Lizzy, I am meant to be spending time with you.” Edward pushed past Anne and disappeared down a corridor. Lizzy began to walk with Anne. They reached the library. When they were sat Anne spoke.

“I know that you love Edward, anyone who is not Catherine and Charles can see that.” She started. “I love Thomas.” She blurted it out as if she wanted to get the words out as fast as possible.

“As in, Thomas who Eddy is best friends with?”

“Yes, that one.”

“Why do you not tell him?”

“Because he does not need to know. No one needs to know. I needed to tell someone and seen as you are leaving anyway, I thought it would not matter if I told you.”

“What do you mean I am leaving?” Lizzy exclaimed.

“Did you not know?”

“Not at all!”

“Of course, you were not at dinner last night. That is when they announced that you had to leave.”

“When did they say I had to go?” Lizzy asked.

“I believe Catherine said sometime next week.”

“I shall leave now!” Lizzy protested. “If they want me to go I shall go!”

“No! Wait!” Anne cried, pushing Lizzy back into her seat. “I have a plan. All I can tell you is that you need to stay here. If you leave now, Catherine will know she has got to you. Trust me; I know what I am doing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

Anne left the room, leaving Lizzy to ponder over what had happened. They wanted her to leave. They were going to cast her out even though she had no home; even though she had no idea who her parents were. Even though she had no memory and no idea what she was going to do. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
233K 14.8K 133
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
He's my Fairytale By N.A.M.F.

Historical Fiction

207K 10.6K 77
Do you believe in fairytale?Do you also want to have a happy ending with the one you love? Every fairytale story consist a main character, male lead...