An American Promise (Book 2)

By soitsash

READ NO ORDINARY ROMANCE IF YOU HAVE NOT! THIS STORY WILL MAKE NO SENSE OTHERWISE! 'They were two sides... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
EPILOGUE

Chapter 15

2K 204 6
By soitsash

'It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.'

-Ernie Harwell

Emilia sat at her desk, pen tapping restlessly. The paper in front of her couldn't seem to capture her attention. She had been trying to compose a letter to her mother but words seemed inadequate to say what she wanted to say. She knew that her mother probably wouldn't read it. Why should she when she hadn't seen any of the other ones?

But then again, if Emilia sent it to June, June could give it to her mother.

Yes, that was the solution.

She mentally kicked herself for not thinking of this before.

Dear June,

how are you? I am sorry to bother you but since none of my other letters seem to reach my mother, I was wondering if you could give this letter to her.

Many thanks and much love,

Emilia.

Dear Mother,

I just found your note in my book. I miss you and

Emilia scratched that out, trying several different forms of the same sentiment, but coming up with nothing. What could she possibly say that would accurately reflect what she was feeling? She crossed that out and tried again:

in my book and though I am content here, though I wish very much that I was back home. Everything is very different here and though people are very kind I feel almost like an alien. I miss you terribly. How is father? How is the house? Have you seen June lately? I just wish I was home. But, because of Samuel's predicament, I understand that may be hard. Hopefully one day I can visit. Please write back.

All my love,

Emilia.

Emilia folded the letter, writing her address on it, and placing it in an envelope. There was so much more she wanted to say, but she didn't think one letter was adequate.

       Lord and Lady Turner sat in the parlour, taking tea when the butler, (a new one Lady Turner had been forced to hire), entered the room.

"Constable Newman to see you," he said.

"The constable?" Lady Turner frowned, looking at her husband.

"Send him in," Lord Turner nodded.

"Alfred, what is this about?"

"I don't know, we'll just have to see. Ah, constable, good day," Lord Turner said as the beefy constable entered the room.

"Lord Turner, I hope I am not interrupting."

"No, no, what can we do for you?"
"I have news regarding your son."
"Samuel?"

"Yes,"

"Well, the matter of Lady Rose Bradford."

"Yes?" Lady Turner cut in, almost breathless.

"Well it seems we were wrong. A maid came to us yesterday, saying that it was not your son at all, but a certain Robert South, who, we have found, is now also deceased."

"So Samuel's innocent," Lady Turner smiled, feeling a great weight lifting off her shoulders.

"Yes, but the matter still remains that he escaped from a cell in the station."
"We can fix that, please, come into my office," Lord Turner stood and the constable followed him, a little bewildered. "I think you may find that this will appease," Lady Turner heard her husband say.

It was moments like these she was glad she married an earl and not Oliver.

She instantly regretted even thinking that.

But, nevertheless, if Samuel was free of all charges, that meant, with lots of persuasion on her part, Alfred would let him and Emilia come back. She missed her children more than anything and wanted them back as soon as possible.

"Mrs. Wilder and Mrs. Cooper."

"Oh yes, send them in please and get some tea." Lady Turner stood and the butler obliged. A few moments later and June and her younger daughter entered the room. Marina, almost three months with child, was just beginning to show signs of it and she beamed at Lady Turner.

"Aunt Alexandra," June extended her hands and Lady Turner took them. "June how are you? Marina you look prettier every time I see y0u, how is that young man of yours?"

Marina had inherited Theodore's dark good looks and tall, slender form.

However her bold nature was entirely her mother's.

"Very well thank you Aunt, how are you?" Marina smiled prettily.

"I am well, now, it is fortunate you have come for me, but what brings you here. You were never one for purely social calls June."

"No, not since I was young I'm afraid. We have come for a purpose but can we do for you?"
"Well, you know about Samuel's little debacle with the law."

"Of course, I hope everything is all right," June looked worried.

"Yes, they have found the real criminal and Samuel has been cleared. Anyway, I wanted to ask you for Emilia's address because I must write her to tell them."

"Of course, I think I have it here. Do you have paper?" June asked.

Lady Alexandra handed her the required materials as the footmen brought in the tea.

"Here you go, she's taken your name, Mrs. Emilia Fisher." June slid the paper back.

"Has she?" Lady Turner couldn't help but feel a glow of pride at that.

"Yes, now, if that is all, we have some news and a favour to ask."

"Of course, anything."
"Well, you know how proud Theodore is about money. You know he'd never ask for himself but I'm afraid he's been sacked from his job at the paper and well, times are hard. I hate to ask this, but," she trailed off and Lady Turner nodded understandingly.

"Of course, how much?"

"100 pounds,"

"Yes, that's all right."

"I'll pay you back as soon as I can, I promise."

"No worries," Lady Turner stood, each swish of her satin skirt reminding her of her station in life compared to her niece. "Here we go," she wrote the sum in her cheque book, ripping it out and handing it over.

"Thank you, please give my regards to Emilia."

As it turned out, Jane did have the chicken pox and for the next week or so Emilia was worried and sleep deprived. She had to go to work at some point so then she would ask Samuel to look after Jane.

Of course that meant Samuel could no longer have his trial job.

And he got very cross.

They had several arguments that all went something like this:

"Just tell Mrs. Lewis that Jane is sick, I'm sure she, being a mother herself will understand."

"I cannot take a week off Samuel, you know that."

"But your child is sick."
"And you're looking after her."

"I had to cancel my trial for this. Now I've got to look for a whole new job."

"Why are you so damn selfish?" At this point Emilia would take Jane and storm away, irritated by her brother beyond the point of speaking.

Finally, nine days later, Jane recovered. Her rashes started to stop itching, her fever broke and she was pretty much back to good health.

However there was still the issue of what to do with the children.

Several more arguments later and Emilia, tired and angry gave up. She went to Mrs. Lewis with a heavy heart one Saturday.

"Mrs. Lewis I'm sorry to tell you this," Emilia began after they had shut the shop down. "But now that Samuel is here he has found a workplace and there is no one to look after the children. I'm afraid to say that," Emilia faltered, her stomach dropping.

"I understand," Mrs. Lewis smiled gently. "I'll give you your pay and references. Please do come by sometime."

"Thank you, I will." Emilia found that she had been crying; after all, Mrs. Lewis had been pretty much the only family she had here. She'd miss the woman dearly.

"Here we go," Mrs. Lewis handed her the aforementioned papers and Emilia stuck out her hand to shake but Mrs. Lewis wrapped her broad arms around Emilia, bringing her close to her bosom in a tight hug.

"Good bye my dear, I hope to see you soon. You have been a good worker and like a daughter to me."

"I'll see you soon, please give my regards to your sons." Emilia said through tears.

"I will," Mrs. Lewis drew back and smiled. "Good luck."

"Thank you," Emilia left then, wiping her eyes and putting the money and papers into her bag as she walked home.

There was something left to do however, that she had been putting off.

Talking to Nellie O'Malley.

She decided to do it that evening after supper. While Mrs. Webb cleared the table, Emilia caught Nellie's arm.

"Nellie, may I speak with you for a moment?"

"Of course," Nellie smiled and they went upstairs into Nellie's room, Jane on Emilia's hip.

"I want to talk about what my brother said, please, I know this is hard to listen to but it's for your own good. Henry Collins may not be the most honest man," Emilia put up a hand as Nellie began to protest. "I know him because back in England he once showed an interest in me, or so I thought. He was after the dowry he believed he would get. Once he found out my father did not intend to give any money to him, he left. Now, I know you are not in possession of a fortune so perhaps Henry really does love you. I just wanted to warn you."

"Do you suppose it's the same man?" Nellie said tightly, an eyebrow raised

"I," Emilia frowned; she really had just assumed it was the same one. After all, she was certain she had seen him the day Samuel arrived.

"No, well, if that is all please take your jealous,"

"Jealous? You think I'm jealous, of you?" Emilia laughed.

"I haven't see any men courting you."

"I don't see how that has anything," Emilia huffed, "to do with my warning."

Nellie's sudden viciousness was sudden and Emilia didn't know what she did to deserve it.

"Very well, thank you but I assure you that you're warning is of no use." Nellie said coldly and stood, opening the door for Emilia.
Emilia said nothing and her and Jane left the room, Emilia feeling both foolish and indignant.

The next morning at breakfast there was a terse silence between Emilia and Nellie. Emilia, focused on Jane, ignoring Nellie completely and Nellie did the same.

Emilia left the table early and her and Jane went to the park where Jane was content feeding the ducks and Emilia sitting under a tree, an apple in her hand.

"Emilia," she turned to see Max, slightly out of breath, by her side.

"Max, how are you?"

"I am well, but look at this," he passed her a folded paper, a small headline underlined:

Society Beauty Lucille Donal Engaged to Canadian Miner

Lucille Donal, debutante and heartbreaker has finally settled for one lucky man: Henry Collins

"Henry Collins," Emilia murmured, her fingers limp, her eyes wide.

Well, at least she knew Nellie was in no danger from him.

Anyway, that chapter was short but dramatic AF. Hope you enjoyed that.

Please vote if you did and comment whatever you thought about it.

Dedicated to PennyZee for being a constant support to me and my stories. I appreciate that so much

Thanks,

Biancs 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 82.1K 41
Emilia I was so sure I'd never see him again. Not that I didn't want to. But not that I did. After all, he was the one that bailed on me. The one who...
4.1K 88 3
**Bridgerton Inspired** In the glittering world of Regency London, the Clifford siblings are the talk of the ton. Known for their striking looks and...
Saving June (Book 3) By {ash}

Historical Fiction

101K 5.8K 29
'Yes, in the course of two weeks we've lost our childhood. I know that we are adults in age but really we were playing with something we knew nothing...
1.1M 49K 28
"I've wanted you my whole life, Scar, and when I'm finally here with you, you're married..." Scarlett Knightwell has it all. Multi-millionaire compan...