Titus: Book Two of the Cantre...

By UniversalGroceries

Titus Cantrell has a problem. Her name's Anna Simmons. She's the neighbor girl he's been in love with for alm... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Acknowledgements

Chapter Sixteen

42.2K 1.4K 26
By UniversalGroceries

“Oh, my goodness.” Anna moaned more to herself than to Titus, the sweet tang of pasta carbonara doing amazing things to her taste buds.

Twirling more of the noodles against her fork, she inhaled the scent of Parmesan cheese, fresh tomatoes, and lightly seasoned chicken. It was a very intriguing combination – especially when one, like herself, paired the pasta dish with the garlic and sage bread. Anna ate slowly; she simply didn't ever want this meal to end.

She looked over to where Titus was stuffing down more of the pasta carbonara. Dressed in a tux that she had only ever seen him in a handful of times, he sure did look handsome. It hurt her to think that this was going to be him on his actual wedding that would take place some years from now, but she pushed the thought away and simply just admired her closest friend. His blonde hair looked soft in the warm light of River Falls' reception hall, his thin goatee looking neat and trimmed as always.

Her heart sped up a little bit as she remembered why she was here, why he was here with her. This was their wedding reception – the reception they had gone to after taking pictures in front of the church with the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Titus had been perfect throughout it all, playing the part of the lovestruck husband perfectly.

She could still remember the way he had lifted and twirled her in his arms as Bradeyn had taken photo after photo. They had only had to kiss a few times underneath a fall tree and beside the small pond of River Falls before the pictures had been finished. It hadn't taken long to drive the ten minutes to River Falls, where cocktail hour had been busier, and the dinner – she realized as she scanned the room – was even more packed.

People. Everywhere. Dressed in their best suits, dresses, or church attire, everybody was looking fit for the day. The chatter among the large group filled the entire room that was almost as spacious as the Bethany church.

Polished, wooden floors gleamed in the warm light that came from the humble lights on the eggshell-painted ceiling. The walls themselves were a teal blue that made the orange theme decorating the space pop out vividly against the deep color. With the ability to seat eight people, circular tables were everywhere in the room except for the dance floor. They were all covered with vased, orange flowers that she didn't know the name of, bringing just enough color to the white, linen tablecloths.

With the exception of being rectangular in form, her and Titus's table was very much like the guests. A larger vase of the bright, sweet-smelling flowers was right in the center, angled just right so that their view of the hall wouldn't at all be blocked. To the right were her bridesmaids and parents; to the left, Titus's groomsmen, father, and mother.

They were by far the loudest table in the entire room. Thrane was shouting something over the raucous of others, recounting some story or other of his teaching days. Laughing lightly at the captivated expressions on the other Cantrells' faces, she delighted in the way the entire family was so close, all talking with one another like they always did.

Her family was just like that, and Anna knew that that sort of bond was special when it came to couples who had been married for almost forty-five years. It was a comforting fact that promised of a happy, caring future with Titus and her baby. She knew for a fact that he would always be there for her, and that in itself was enough to make Anna place all her trust in her recently wedded husband.

Loud clinking from somewhere within the crowd managed to resound throughout the entire area. It was soon joined by more people tapping metal utensils against their glasses. Cringing, Anna tried to calm her elevated heart rate, attempting to cool her abnormally warm body. She had been feeling warm ever since the deep kiss she and Titus had shared during the wedding ceremony.

Anna glanced over Titus one more time, who was giving her an expectant look like always. His hand grabbed hers and lifted her up to stand by him on the stage. Remembering that kiss, she knew that he was the one to blame for her sudden temperature change. He was the one who all but forced his tongue down her throat in what had probably been the deepest and most heated kiss in the entire history of wedding ceremonies.

“You feelin' alright?” he whispered very close to her trembling lips.

“Y-yes,” she stammered, playing the wife as her hands came to rest lightly on his rock hard sides.

He didn't ask another question or even offer a reply, only brushing his lips against hers in the lightest kiss she had ever come to feel. His hands fell to rest against the small of her back; but unlike last time, they didn't haul her in and press her body against his. They just stayed there, his hands burning right through the thin fabric of her silky dress.

Titus pulled away then, leaving Anna with a strange sense of uncompleteness that almost bothered her. She waved the feeling away, sitting back down as wolf whistles erupted somewhere in the back, gaining traction until everybody was whistling like crazy. Everybody's eyes were on her and Titus, almost all pairs holding a knowledge of the consummation of marriage that they thought was happening tonight.

“Was that okay?” Titus asked her for what felt like the millionth time that night.

He had been asking her if their kisses had been okay or alright, and she honestly didn't know what to say to him. While the forms of intimacy were at an expert level that only came with practice, his kisses were just so different. The brushing of lips was sweet but strange. All of it was just so strange when she thought of those sort of things with Titus.

“Yeah, okay,” Anna said, sitting back down to finish her meal.

Titus sat next to her like he was supposed to, making quiet conversation that caused her laugh at times and to check herself for showing any worry or nervousness. At times, he placed his hand right next to hers and leaned in until all she could see was his face as he continued talking and laughing with her in his smooth, deep baritone.

It was becoming a sort of habit with him. Lean into Anna and invade all of her personal space. Put arm around her shoulder. Look out at the avid guests who were finishing their meals with a proud expression on face. All of it. Titus was doing all of it. But the routine stopped when Ashton and Callie ran up to their table, grins on their adorable, little faces.

“Uncle Titus,” Callie began, holding onto Ashton's hand as she hypnotized her uncle with that sweet little voice of hers, “when do you think I'll get married?”

Titus chuckled lightly, swinging the five-year-old girl up onto his lap. Ashton crawled onto hers, his brown head of curls tickling under her chin until he finally settled on her lap. With perked ears, they both listened intently as Titus explained how awful, disgusting, and icky boys were. As rambunctious as always, Ashton defended himself and the rest of his four-year-old brethren with blabber that was very limited.

“But not you, Ashton,” Titus said to Ashton, whispering something into Callie's ear that made the little girl blush and giggle.

“What'd he say?” the little boy asked, cupping his hands over his little mouth to try and quiet his extremely loud voice.

She and Titus exchanged a look then, and she whispered, “That you and Callie should dance with each other in a little bit.”

Seemingly content with her answer, Ashton jumped off her lap in his adorable suit, grabbed Callie's hand, and ran around the empty dance floor. She and Titus had yet to have their first dance yet, making the dance floor just a large, vacant spot in the reception hall.

Titus moved closer to her again. “Ya know, you really suck at whispering.”

“Some husband you are,” she teased, not at all worried about the upcoming moments.

About to say something, he opened his mouth but not before both sets of parents shooed them both to where the wedding cake was waiting to be cut and divied out among guests. It was a simple cake really. Covered with a smooth, pure white fondant and a few, orange flowers made entirely out of frosting, the three-tiered cake was simple yet classy.

A long, formidable-looking knife was handed to them. Like she had seen at other weddings, she placed her hand over Titus's, and together they cut a small section of a cake and put it onto a clean plate. Anna took one of the forks from the table, cut a chunk of the vanilla buttercream inside, and raised the fork to his waiting mouth. He obliged by opening those lips that had been kissing her not too long ago and closed his eyes as the small piece of cake was enveloped in the heat of his mouth.

“Your turn,” he said, cutting off a piece that was equal in size before gently resting it at the entrance of her own mouth.

The delicious fluff and fondant-covered cake popped right in. It tasted just sweet enough to add a sugar kick but not too sweet that somebody would get headaches from eating it. She savored the bite, allowing the tines of the fork to slip out of her mouth as she chewed on the decadent dessert.

People cheered. Cameras flashed. Music started. And then, the rest of the cake was cut and served.

About to tell Kalie to save a piece for her and Titus, she was interrupted by the DJ's announcement of the first dance. Hand in hand, they made their way onto the dance floor. She felt more than saw her dress flow gracefully as Titus pulled her into his strong, trusting arms. Placing her hands to rest gently on his waist once more, Anna was suddenly crushed to a hard chest.

Stronger than steel, his arms were wrapped all the way around her waist, bringing her so close to him that it was all she could do to just rest her head on his chest and move slowly to the soft beat of their wedding song. Although it was just a piano playing in the background, it was still beautiful.

With her nose pressed to his chest, Anna couldn't not inhale his familiar scent. Dry grass, aged wood, and just pure Titus was what he smelt like. It was a scent that she had just come to know as being him, and it always eased her edged nerves.

“Thank you,” she whispered into his chest.

That very same chest rumbled with the deep chuckle that arose from its owner. “No need to thank me. It's the right thing to do. By the way,” he said, tilting her chin up with his warm fingers, “you look breathtaking tonight.”

She gently touched the fine hairs of the facial hair she had so come to admire, reveling in the way its fine texture teased her fingertips. “As do you. You should wear tuxedos more often.”

He arched a brow at her, still continuing with the slow, steady pace of the song. “So what you're trying to say is that I only look good when I'm in this? Anna,” he mock gasped, “you've hurt me deeply.”

“Titus Cantrell, stop fishing for compliments. We both know you look devastatingly handsome.” Anna subtlely motioned to where Mary Ellis was giving him a come hither look. “She hasn't kept her eyes off you the entire night.”

Titus made a face and didn't say anything after that. His only form of communication was in the way he smoothed his large hands down her back as he continued dancing until their song was over. The groomsmen and bridesmaids were waiting eagerly at the side, all taking pictures and leaving them to be alone on this one. By the time the last notes were played, Anna almost felt drowsy – as if she had just taken pills infused with pure happiness.

After Titus gave her one last hug and went off the dance floor, her father replaced his son-in-law. They danced to another piano selection, the protective weight of her father's arms adding a soothing balm to her already calm self.

“I'm so proud of you,” her father whispered, gently kissing her forehead as tears filled his eyes. “My little girl's finally getting married.”

“Dad,” she said, trying not to tear up as well, “please, don't cry. You're supposed to be-”

“Happy, I know. But it's just hard...” He sniffled, and at the same time crushing her to him. “Your mother and I have always known that you two would be perfect together. I just...I'm just so glad that he makes you happy. He's good for you, Anna.”

“Oh, I know. Trust me, I know.”

Soon enough, the father and bride song was over and replaced by the mother and groom's dance. On the edge of the floor, she watched as Titus calmed down a bawling Mrs. Cantrell who was literally only standing because he was keeping her small body upright. Their song ended and was soon replaced by another, more upbeat piece that everybody joined in on.

But the real fun didn't start until the Macarena began playing. Everybody assembled into neat, organized lines. She was right next to Titus, the bridesmaids and groomsmen as the familiar beats erupted from the speakers. Conscience of every move he made, Anna couldn't help but laughing, for the sight of big, tough, usually reserve Titus Cantrell shaking his butt was a sight to behold.

“Hey!” he interjected, still while dancing. “It takes a lot of practice to become this great!”

Anna laughed, following his exact movements as The Cupid Shuffle started to blare. She kicked when he kicked, shuffled when he shuffled, and only stopped for a few seconds to take off her painful, high heels. Titus was still dancing when she got back up again, and he somehow managed to look graceful with every song that passed.

This was the real Titus. Carefree at times and energetic always, this was the Titus who sometimes shelled up inside when there were too many people around. Usually reserved around others, he only ever really let her and his family see this side of him; but tonight, everybody got to see him, and Anna loved that he didn't look stressed for once.

Tuxedo jacket discarded long ago, he had rolled up the sleeves of his white button-down. Sweat dripped down his neck and made his shirt almost transparent, but he didn't seem to care, only continuing to hold hands with Trace and commit the most unheard of dance moves with his little brothers and old football buddies.

But as much fun as it was out here on the floor, Anna was starting to feel a little tired. Her throat ached for a cool splash of water to slide down it, and sweat was beginning to collect at the back of her neck. Walking briskly to the bar in the corner of the room, she ordered one small glass of water and sat down on the padded bar stools.

Neon, blue lights underneath the polished, wooden countertop of the area flashed brightly underneath, making the white of her wedding dress change all different sorts of colors. The few that weren't either dancing or outside to take a walk around the beautiful pond were sitting next to her, all throwing her a few congratulations here and there as she cooled down.

The air in the room was beginning to feel stuffy and heated, despite the windows that had been cracked open. Taking her cold glass of ice water, she pressed it against her neck and then her forehead until her body felt like it was finally beginning to decrease by at least a few degrees.

A warm hand landed on the small of her back, and the glass of water was instantly forgotten as Anna became warmer once more. That hand could only belong to one person, and that person was Titus who was rubbing gentle circles on her dress-covered back.

“Are you feeling alright? We can go outside if you want,” he said, already taking the crook of her elbow.

Nodding her head, she jumped off the barstool and made her way to the cool, outside that promised of fresh. They walked through a maze of halls until at last, the pond, the small woods, and the pathways were in sight. This is where they had taken their pictures just hours before, and the beauty of it all still astounded her.

Filled with coi fish and loose change that people had thrown into the shallow pond, the body of water simply glowed in the moonlight from up above. With stringed, golden lights adorning their branches, small cherry blossom trees dotted a few feet away from each as they followed the wood-chipped pathway. Old, antique-looking benches were under those blossom trees, little leaves of the cherry falling down gracefully onto the aged wood.

She and Titus sat down on one of those benches and just stared into the bright, gleaming water. He was much more relaxed now, most likely coming down from the adrenaline high he had been experiencing just moments ago. His posture was laid-back, and his eyes looked calm in the circle of light they were currently in.

In the distance, she heard the familiar beat of The Fox, the song that Titus had specifically said he wanted to hear at the wedding. And now it was playing, but – she realized with guilt – he was out here with her because she couldn't handle a few more minutes in the stuffy reception hall.

Anna made a move to stand up then, but he immediately grabbed onto her arm and kept her from going anywhere. “It's okay,” he said, smiling. “I have the song on my phone. How are you feeling by the way? Are you-”

“I'm just fine. It's still...” She searched for the words. “It's still so different from what I thought would happen. I mean, I'm not even scared anymore. I think I've just accepted all of this, and that's because of you, Titus. So, thank you.”

He didn't answer, only reaching into his front pocket for his phone. “We should probably leave soon. It's a little past nine, and our flight leaves at ten.”

“Flight?” she asked. “What flight?”

“Our honeymoon to Florida.” He didn't even blink, his eyes staring into hers as he most likely gauged her reaction. “My parents gave me tickets and a reservation.”

“But Titus, this is-”

“Wrong, I know,” he answered, putting his face in his hands as he leaned forward. “But they're non-returnable, and believe me, I tried to give 'em back, but my dad wouldn't let me.” Titus threw a wood chip into the pond, watching as it floated above the coi. “I've always wanted to go to Florida.”

“Why didn't you tell me? I woulda saved up and paid them ba-”

“Look, I already went through this with them – and yeah, we're lying to everybody – but once that man wants something, he makes sure he gets it. He's even staying down to take care of the ranch. All I'm saying is that we might as well just enjoy the vacation and take a little break from everything, ya know?”

Anna looked down at her stomach, knowing what he was referring to. They wouldn't have any free time as soon as this baby was born. This was probably their last chance to do something without an infant around. “I never really picked you as a Florida type of person. Maybe Canada but not Florida,” she teased, glad when he smiled once again.

“Nah, Canada's too cold.”

“I thought you didn't get cold.”

He stood up, towering over her. “I don't. Now, are we gonna get to our flight or not?”

She stood up with him but not before remembering that she hadn't packed anything. “But I didn't even pack! Shoot, I won't have any-”

“Anna, Kalie already packed everything for you. There's this giant suit case in the back of my truck with all your things in it, okay?”

She nodded. “Okay.”

As they walked back into the reception hall, she stared blissfully at the pond again, wanting to memorize the picture of beauty. The music was still playing, but the crowd on the dance floor had thinned. People gathered around them, welcoming them and then letting Titus pass through to his dressing room and Anna to hers.

After closing and locking the door, she turned on the lights and began unzipping her dress. She took one last look into the long, full body mirror before letting the wedding dress pool at her feet. Her clothes that she had worn to the church were on top of the red couch, and she put the yellow t-shirt, jean shorts, and flip flops on quickly.

Thick and heavy at her neck and back, her hair was still done up in its bridal up-do. She tied it back with a hair tie, a few tendrils still hanging in front of her face. Anna checked in the mirror once again, feeling slightly overdressed for a flight. But it couldn't be helped, she reminded herself before walking out the door into a thick sea of people.

They hugged, sometimes, kissed, clapped, and whistled as she and Titus made their way through. She said her last good byes to her family and the Cantrells, glad that nobody seemed tear eyed anymore. Rice was thrown at them on their way to Titus's black Ford that was parked in the parking lot, and she became caught up in the celebration once again.

Hopping up into the truck, Anna sighed. The noise of the crowd had now dissipated, leaving just her, Titus, and the radio as they drove the thirty minutes that it was to the airport. He hummed in tune to the radio, eyes sure while the miles passed underneath the tires.

She was married to this man. This humming, reliable, dancing man was her husband.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.9K 27
in which a teacher gets a student pregnant {i recommend not reading this story because it was my first one & i wrote it when i was like thirteen} 20...
216K 3.4K 37
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. A 17 year old girl recently moves to Cocoa Beach, Florida with her family, the Brants. When her neighbors, the Stevensons, show...
1.2K 44 11
Elena realized she was in love with her best friend when she was in high school. Her best friend had started dating in revenge she had starting datin...
111 15 14
bxb After years of being rescued from his abusive father by his neighbor, only to be dragged back to the house where he was never safe, Theo is final...