Fearless (A Mulan Retelling)

By squigmo

For the entirety of her life, Iris Gwenneth has known the words 'loss' and 'exclusion' all too well. With a d... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Author's Note
Fearless Announcement!
Sequel Sample! (Guardian)

Chapter Thirty One

37.3K 1.7K 281
By squigmo

The general didn't know what to feel besides utter disbelief at the moment. He didn't know whether to step out and make his presence known or to run. As he really thought about it, things immediately fell into place as Zayn recalled how Ingred slept in armor, worked extra hard to be good, and was quicker than any man he'd ever met. It was because Ingred was no man at all. Flashes of every emotion colored Zayn's mood: shock, anger, bafflement, betrayal, and a touch of wonder. He stood still for the moment, deciding to continue watching for the moment.

It didn't take long for her to slide on her tunic and breeches. Zayn almost stepped out after she was fully dressed, ready to interrogate her. Yet, something changed his mind... Iris looked up at something the general could not see, and beamed for several moments. Zayn finally understood why the rogue rarely smiled... because it made her look absolutely lovely. Oh, and it really made her look feminine. If she were to have smiled like that anywhere near the soldiers, her identity would have been crushed from day one.

He watched as she took a seat by her things and raised her tunic enough to expose her stomach. The first thing that caught his eye was the red injury that grazed her side. It looked entirely out of place on her, he observed. After all, wounds were not usually found on milky skin, but on calloused limbs.

Iris reached in her satchel, and the general saw the bandages the moment she pulled them out of the haversack.

After this, the general promised himself, touching the hilt of his sword, I have to do my job.

He was fully ready to treat her as he would any traitor. She would have to die for her crime. He grasped his blade now, feeling blooms of anger whirl through his stomach. His own soldier had deceived him and betrayed the Eldian army. He tried to anger himself even further, knowing that he would feel guilty for doing his job if he didn't lose himself in fury. Yet, in a second... all the wrath was sapped from him.

He caught eye of the scar in the middle of her belly. The very scar she had received from the blow that would've ended his life had she not stepped in to take it for him. His hand fell to his side.

How can I end a person's life, if they saved mine?

"Who are you?" he said under his breath. She didn't appear to hear him, as she was still tending to her new gash.

"Shit, that hurts," she said. The general was taken aback at her voice. It was no longer the gruff, low voice of the man -well, kind of- that he had known... but a soft voice. One that fit her appearance. For a moment, the general questioned whether or not it was really Ingred he was seeing.

Iris began putting on her armor and strapping her weapons to her waist. She followed by tying her hair into a topknot. Before Zayn's very eyes, the woman in the stream became the awe-inspiring recruit, the person he had been traveling with, the one that retrieved the arrow, and the very one that had saved his life that night in Morthrior.

"Time to get on, I guess," she mumbled in that same delicate voice. Yet, Zayn noted that she did not appear fragile, even though she was a woman. She appeared... respectable. This surprised him, even though he was looking at the same person he had been for gods knew how long.

With a final reach in her backpack, Iris pulled out a small pouch. Zayn continued to stare as she withdrew what appeared to be some kind of spiky plant from within its depths and then pop it into her mouth. With a few labored chews, she began to cough in disgust. Zayn was only confused for a second.

"Ugh, you'd think one would get used to it," came the gruff voice that he knew so well. With a final shake of her head, Iris grabbed her things and bolted off in the other direction. The general continued to stand there... dumbfounded.

"Who in the hell are you?" he said once she was out of earshot, "You aren't Ingred Gwenneth." For a moment, he tried to recall if she'd ever told him of family. He remembered that she mentioned a sister, but not the name. He tried to remember more of that conversation, but drew a blank.

His train of thought halted when he saw something on the ground. A piece of paper. Deeming the area safe, he walked over and snatched it up to discover that it was a small picture. His eyes scanned its surface to find two people: an aging man, and Ingred. Yet, it didn't look like the rogue at all. He gawked at the girl in the purple gown, trying to find Ingred Gwenneth in her depths. Yet, he couldn't. The girl in the picture had long tresses and self-doubt written on every inch of her alabaster face. Not to mention the dress.

He was even having a hard time associating this girl to the strong woman he had just saw in the stream, if he were being honest with himself.

"Better get back," he muttered to no one in particular, but then looked at the stream once more. Another thought crossed his mind. "Perhaps bathing isn't such a bad idea..."

He shoved the photo in his pocket and took a good whiff of himself, deciding that it definitely wasn't a bad idea. He found himself surprisingly embarrassed that he had journeyed with a woman smelling as he did. He found himself even more embarrassed when he remembered that he had changed in front of her... all of them had.

"Gods damn it," he said and shook his head in shame. With a quick glance in every direction, he undressed and began to wash.

----

General Zayn made his way back to the camp as quietly as he could, pulling his hair halfway up as he paced. After thinking about it for the entirety of his bath and even more as he walked, he decided that he would continue to let Gwen travel with them for the time being. He also decided to call her Gwen. That is, until he got her real name. Now he wondered just how exactly he would get her name. He couldn't exactly ask her. Not being able to come up with a solution, he grumbled.

"Gwenneth. Gwen. It's a girl's name. It fits." He looked around, making sure no one was around to hear his grumbling. I must be bat-shit crazy, he thought to himself. Talking to myself. "Eh, stranger things can happen, I guess" he muttered as an excuse in response to his thought. For good measure, he raised a brow and added, "Obviously."

Moments later, he realized that his voice wasn't the only one that could be heard in the forest. He stopped in his tracks and turned in the direction of the new voices that he heard. After a few seconds of searching, he found Gwen and Kayde speaking amongst each other. General Zayn noticed in an instant that he was... scolding her?

"You did what?" Kayde emphasized, with surprise written all over his face.

"I smelled gods awful. I can't show up in Alabast smelling like a hog." Gwen crossed her arms.

"Just..." Kayde looked exasperated, "Do be careful. Please. I was sent here to protect you. You know that. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that if you were discovered. No matter how good I am with my sword, or how good you are with your daggers. We will not be able to face the onslaught if the Eldian army wants you dead. And the entire army is quite a possibility. You're following General Zayn Rothstead. If there's anyone you don't need to underestimate, it's a war general."

Zayn would've been surprised at the fact that Kayde was sent to guard Gwen, but it made a hell of a lot of sense. Not only that, but a man could only take so much surprise in a day. Best to shrug it off, he guessed. Even with all the secrets, he still would not kill her. He would simply pretend that he had not seen it and move on.

"I don't underestimate him," she said, raising an eyebrow, "In fact, I bet he'll be thankful that I don't smell like a pile of shit."

"Like the other men?"

"And you. You smell horrendous too. You should consider washing."

Kayde clicked his throat and frowned. "You wound me, dear girl," His voice was apathetic.

"I might if you keep up with that sarcasm you have going on," she snorted --albeit, her words were a playful jest.

"How? I taught you everything you know," he pointed out with a small smile. This revelation did not surprise General Zayn in the slightest. He watched as her hands fell to her sides and her eyes narrowed in Kayde's direction.

"Not everything. I think I might surprise you."

"You do tend to do that," Kayde finally loosened up. "But that's something you'll have to show me later. Come now, if we stay out to long, it might start up some questions."

The general followed after them after he was sure they were far enough ahead not to notice. He found himself thoroughly amused at the discussion he had just heard, but he remained stoic. The camp was not far away -in fact, it was only a few minutes- and he knew that he needed to compose himself. If he was to pull off this ruse, he had to act normal. Gods, he was a shit liar, though.

I still have use of you yet, Gwen. I figure I should keep you alive, he thought to himself. With that thought in mind, he hurried back.

"Good morning, General," Shen was the first to greet him back at camp., "We all wondered where you had run off to. We ready to start up?"

"You washed," a gruff voice came from his left, and the general turned to see traces of alarm hiding in Gwen's brown eyes.

"As did you," Zayn feigned confusion, "I'm surprised we didn't run into each other." He thought about those words. "All things considered, I guess that's a blessing." With that, he looked around at all the men to see that all of their horses were packed up and ready to go.

"What?" Jehrth said, with wide eyes, "There's a place we can wash?"

"Yes. And I highly suggest you all do so. We will most likely arrive in Alabast tonight. The stream is about a half mile to the northeast. Go together, and try not to cause trouble. I will be at camp, packing my things for the journey. Bring your weapons with you, just in case," he ordered, and then turned to his horse.

The men followed his command, even Kayde, but not before he shot a warning look over at the duelist.

Zayn pretended not to notice.

As he put on his armor, he stole a glance over at Gwen, who was petting her horse. As he looked at her now, he could not believe he did not see the woman in her before. Now that he knew, it was incredibly obvious. Were all the other soldiers so oblivious?

"Yes?" came a gruff voice, and the general turned his eyes, very aware that he had been staring. But hell, who wouldn't? A girl soldier? Before now, it was unheard of.

"I have a question," Zayn said, turning to fully face her.

"Yes?" she repeated herself.

"What is your sister's name?" he asked. Her eyes went wide for a split second at his question, removing any doubt that the sister Ingred spoke of... was her.

"Why do you ask, sir?"

Zayn stepped over to her, fiddling for the photo she had dropped. After a moment, he found it and handed it over to her. She looked frightened upon seeing it, but was able to conceal her fear in a matter of moments.

"I found this while I was washing. I assume it's yours," he told her, and then pointed at the girl in the picture, "I ask simply out of curiosity. I remember you telling me... but I don't remember what her name was."

"Oh. I see."

"Either way, she looks a lot like you. I'm sure she's proud of you for coming to fight for her." Let her chew on that, he thought to himself. Then, Zayn turned away, hoping he had played the charade well enough. After a moment, his success was confirmed.

"Her name is Iris," came the quiet reply.

Now Zayn remembered.

Iris, huh? I'm still calling you Gwen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131 19 7
!! Update schedule coming soon!! "You can keep running all you want Yvette, but we won't stop chasing you until I get what I want!" He roars, spit fl...
295 102 27
Teenage Iris Day has survived a nightmare childhood in a home ruled by drugs and alcohol, domestic and sexual abuse. She may have found a way to esca...
393 49 16
Life It sounds beautiful right, magical even but, is it? Is it what you envisioned yours to be? i know i didn't envisioned mine, definitely not like...
32.4K 1.1K 30
*Mature Content* She'd been raised from the start to be different: a warrior rather than your typical maiden. Bliss had been trained by her military...