I Stumble, Then Fall

By AKAASHI

[Sawamura Daichi/Sugawara Koushi] The nightmare Koushi feared the most appeared. It was a slow, painful, real... More

but i can't help falling in love with you
hold me in your arms
acceptance
acquaintance
"daichi"
facing the truth (end)

i should've bought you flowers and held your hand

124 6 5
By AKAASHI

"...thank you, sensei. I'll continue watching over him until he's awake."

The door was slowly shut, leaving Koushi and his companion some peace and quiet. Sugawara took his time to peel his eyes open, enjoying the lightness he felt when he was half-asleep.

Now that he's fully awake, he feels like utter shit.

The breeze coming from the window beside him felt so cold, and the whole room was surrounded by white that it made him regret opening his eyes.

He regrets waking up in general.

"Ah, Suga. You're awake."

He closed his eyes again and smiled genuinely. You can hear the relief coming from his friend's huge sigh. Suga can't help but feel like he was a pain in the ass every time he hears his friend sigh from relief.

"Asahi..." The way he said his best friend's name sounds so pitiful. He was always so dependent on Asahi since they were in their first years. Asahi cares so much about him that Suga had cried about it before.

Asahi understood Sugawara from the way he said his name. He heard it so many times that he's accustomed of what to do next.

Asahi stood up and reached for two glasses of water. He gave one to Suga and sat at the end of the white hospital bed.

"How are you feeling, Suga?" Asahi started off with a careful question. He met Suga's eyes and smiled, making the question seem like it was just for the sake of having a conversation.

"Your biology classmate explained everything. He saw you shaking and breathing heavily, and you were crying at that time so he thought that you were having an asthma attack and shouted for help.

Daichi was nearby and helped you right away, but by then you were unconscious so he carried you all the way here to the nurse's office. Michimiya was with the two of them, too, and she was the one who called me here.

All of them were worried sick, but only one person was allowed to stay and watch you. I volunteered first. Daichi insisted, but I jokingly told him that he can't miss Math or else he won't be able to catch up."

Suga nodded and took a sip from his water. He can't help but feel a bit glad that Daichi was the one who carried him here, but the foolish thought made him feel ashamed of feeling that way. He's so pathetic and awful for even thinking like that. Daichi doesn't deserve someone like me. He deserve's someone like Michimiya -- the ecstatic, beautiful, and optimistic Michimiya Yui.

"Suga, you're thinking too much."

Suga was forced to chuckle even though he didn't want to waste more energy. I can't make Asahi worry anymore. "I'm not thinking!"

"I know what you look like when you start to think about something."

"Hmm, yeah, it's just that my head is still aching you know?" Suga lied and massaged his temples, making it seem that he was telling the truth.

Asahi didn't buy it, though.

Asahi has been with him since they first met at the gym where the volleyball club was happening. He noticed the way Suga adored Daichi, though never let his feelings out in the open too much. Azumane wasn't educated as much when it comes to romance, still, he recognize those kinds of actions. Suga treated Daichi the way Daichi treated him, although he lets his hands linger around Daichi more often than not. Suga is always the one who worries about Daichi more than anyone.

["Daichi-san!!!" Tanaka exclaimed as he started to run to Daichi. Everyone followed Tanaka right away when they saw Daichi, all relieved to see him standing at the doors. His face was bruised and swelling, nonetheless, that defeated look of not being able to support his team says that he's okay.

"Ah...erm..." The captain scratched the back of his head, trying to avoid everyone's gaze that was on him. Everyone was waiting for what he's going to say...

"Sorry." He simply said.

"DAICHI~" Suga was jumping for Daichi, his hands were ready to punch Daichi on the stomach. His joyous laugh made the rest of the team laugh, too. Suga was so delighted to see Daichi that he was tearing up. It was small, tiny tears at the corner of his eyes that Suga probably didn't notice either.

"Daichi, don't go making us worry like that, huh? You're the captain you know! You left your vice-captain all alone and..."

"Suga, don't go punching the injured." Asahi insisted but laughed anyways.

Asahi noticed that Suga was laughing the way he always was when he's with Daichi -- full of energy.]

A knock disturbed their conversation.

"Sugawara-kun, your mother's here to pick you up." The nurse stated.

"I'll be right there, sensei. Thank you very much." Suga slightly bowed, still remained at his seat. The door was once again shut closed, leaving them alone.

Suga finished the glass of water and stood up, his head and throat legitimately throbbing now. "Thanks for watching for me, Asahi. I'll see you tomo--"

"Text me when you need any help, okay?" Asahi cuts him midsentence.

Startled, Suga avoided eye contact. "I can't depend on you all the time, Asahi,"

Asahi gripped his shoulders, slightly shaking him. "You're not a dead weight to me, Suga. I'm asking you because I want to talk to you. I want to know if you're fine, okay?"

Suga stubbornly kept his head lowered down. He was biting his lips so hard now, all it needs to do next is bleed. He was shaking a little bit, he felt it. The stinging was beginning to travel to his nose and to his eyes. He didn't want Asahi to see him so powerless and miserable. Suga was so lucky to have Asahi by his side. He gasps, "Okay."

--

Sugawara was known as one of the pillars of his team. He showed no weakness and fought against his opponents with his head held high. Even though he looks like he can be easily toppled over, he turns the tables and fights with his full strength.

And so, that's what he does.

Except, his opponent is Daichi Sawamura.

The whole volleyball team (girls and boys) were buzzing with excitement when they overheard the news about the two captains finally dating.

That morning, the team, mostly Tanaka and Noya, bombarded Daichi with questions and confirmations about Michimiya. Daichi sputtered and blushed, his whole face red when he was caught off guard. He gained his composure rather quickly and answered none of the questions.

Suga remained silent about the issue, of course, but decided to tease Daichi even a little bit so he doesn't seem to stand out.

"Congratulations, Daichi-san. But if I may ask, I thought you're already dating Sugawara-san?"

Tsukishima Kei, out of all people, decided to fuck everyone's' minds by asking an inappropriate question without thinking about the consequences. They all look at Sugawara who is trying not to look so crushed by the weight of the stares.

The gym was silent that you could hear each other's breathing. Even Tsukishima was baffled by the sudden silence. "N-not that I care."

Tanaka laughed loudly, decided to break the silence and gave Tsukishima a noogie. "Wha-- hahaha! You out of all people ask that question! I can't believe my ears!"

"Yo, I agree with you, Ryuu! This child doesn't want our dads to divorce now, huh?! But don't worry! Me and Asahi will be your new parents now! I will be a one of a kind dad!" Nishinoya stood up in one of the benches and pointed at the first years with pride.

"Wow...so cool..." Kageyama and Hinata said with their jaws wide open.

"It's 'Asahi and I', you dumbass. Learn your grammar." Ennoshita scolded.

"W-wait, Yuu, don't go adopting children like that..." Asahi commented.

Everyone is laughing all over again, but the other half of "I-can't-read-situations-for-shit" decided to speak its mind. "What Tsukki said made me wonder, too... I thought Daichi-san and Suga-san were dating? I mean! If it's confidential, then it's fine!"

Daichi began to cough, but Suga decided to speak up first. "All that matters is that Daichi and Michimiya are happy now, aren't they? Nothing happened between us. But there's something that happened between them, right?!"

The air surrounding them suddenly became awkward.

"Ahh-- yeah. Yeah! Congrats, Daichi," Azumane started.

"Congratulations!"

The awkward aura was lifted for awhile when Suga was the last one who hasn't congratulated him yet.

Daichi clapped his hands twice and started the morning runs. By the end of the warm-ups, Daichi decided to confront Suga.

"Thanks, Suga, for the thing you did awhile ago."

"Huh? What did I do?"

"Oh, when you said that... Uhm... allthatmattersisthatmeandYuiarehappynow?" Daichi flushed, his words coming out from his mouth fast enough that it sounds like a one big mashed up word.

Suga bites his cheek and smiled at Daichi. He even gave a little chuckle, too. It doesn't seem too fake to notice now, right? My words awhile ago, doesn't he realize anything? "It's fine! I didn't do anything important!"

Suga lost his determination to practice and just wants to curl up in his room. He can't keep talking to Daichi like this. He can't--

"Supporting our relationship is important enough, Suga. Thank you." Daichi grinned, his eyes crinkling.

Sugawara may as well have to get used to feeling his heart crushed every time he's with Daichi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 970 13
Completed ✔ Akashi × Kuroko Born and raised by an immensely strict Father, Akashi Seijuro had no choice but to excel in every aspect of his life. The...
80.1K 3.8K 19
(Just making some revisions, sorry everyone if this story moves around on my profile!) Akaashi has a dark secret. One that could end not just his re...
18K 414 12
COMPLETE !!! tadashi develops a young crush on tsukki hoping to get with him and obsessing over him so much until he ends up getting too attached to...
1.2K 11 11
These are some Haikyu one shots and I except request on ships and stories lines! This is one of my first stories, so please tell me how to improve. A...