The Nightingale of Atlantic C...

By MegMerriet

A singing automaton performs each night in Atlantic City. Like every work of art, the toy has a fascinating... More

1
2
3
4
5
7
8

6

370 51 4
By MegMerriet

Looking on the automaton's face, I wanted to pretend it was Cathy. It bore mechanical resemblance to her, and around its neck was that same thaumatrope. Sometimes, I would feel so accustomed to the automaton that I would forget what Cathy actually used to look like, at which point I would have to look at my only photograph.

"Do you think Cathy's soul lives on somehow within that automaton?" Lance asked me. I rolled my whiskey in the snifter.

"No. If I did, I would have stolen it long ago. Like I said, kid. That automaton is nothing but a memory."

"That bastard Corin," Lance cursed under his breath. "He didn't even love her enough to be there when she was dying."

"Death is complicated. Corin was weak, but he came through in the end."

I told the kid one last story from those times. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

627K 51.7K 84
Trope: ✓ marriage of convenience ✓ hate-to-love ✓ slow-burn ✓ Muslim characters/love story ✓ Bad boy/good girl ✓ Second chance ✓ Billionaire romance...
4K 110 17
Written by SaiyanX The Alpha Project: Genesis is the first in a new series of science fiction novels and short stories. In the near future, a superhu...
168K 691 40
warning sex!! you can cancel if you don't like it.This is only for the guys who have sensitive desire in sex.
11.3K 120 5
Kenikmatan dari belaian ayah