Marriage by Business (Darius...

By Mysterious_Writer

Marriage by Law from Darius's Point of View - can be read alone or together with the published novel: Marriag... More

1
Chapter One
Two (Full)
Three (Full)
Four (Full)
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine

Five (Full)

21.1K 585 32
By Mysterious_Writer

"What do you think?"

"What?" Jesse asked looking up at me confused, I looked up from my laptop.

"Were you listening to me?" I questioned. Jesse looked out the window again and I stood up, what on earth is he looking at.

"Is that her?"

"Is that who?" I asked as I walked over to the window. His eyebrows were knotted as he looked down at something, whatever caught his interest in the garden.

I pulled the curtain aside looking down and I realised what he was talking about. Or in this case who.

"Yes." I turned back to walk back to my desk but stopped when Jesse said something.

"What was that?"

"What is she doing?"

"Probably sitting outside, now get back to work." I said irritated. I wanted this report done. No mistakes. When we go to pitch this to my father, it was going to be flawless.

"She doesn't look like she's sitting."

I turned back around sighing, knowing that when something catches his interest he was going to get to the bottom of it, walking over to the window I looked down. "She's digging." I concluding seeing the spade and pots near her. 

What was she digging for? A dead body....judging by that hole.

She suddenly looked up and Jesse swore ducking out of view, why was she digging?

"Probably planting something." I thought out loud as her brown eyes stared back like she could see us. Surely not a body.

"Obviously, get back to work Darius."

I frowned looking at Jesse, as he smiled. I shook my head sighing walking back to my desk, "We need to get my dad's 25% of shares for this project to continue. We need over 70% shares agreeing."

I had 45%, which only meant I needed another 30% to safely go ahead, Adrian would definitely give me his 10% share support. And there was not a doubt that most of the board of directors would agree, but my father still had a say. An important say.

"You know you could ask a particular someone else who also owns shares."

I frowned, no.

"I'll go tell Marge that no one is to disturb me, we can have a conference call with Mr. Oxton now. See if he's available." Jesse nodded opening up his laptop as I ducked downstairs.

"Stupid apple minestrone!"

I paused. Apple minestrone? That did sound stupid, why would you put apple in a soup. 

Confused I walked into the kitchen pausing at the sight before me, Margaret looked up, with a questioning glance. As a well as a certain statue turning around her brown eyes widening as they saw me.

Why did she look so surprised? Or were widened eyes a default look for her face. 

"Margaret take all calls for me, I have to run an errand." She nodded and casting a look at statue who was now somewhat glaring at me? At least her eyes moved in sizes. 

Did I do something?

Instead I walked back upstairs. 

"I want a thorough analysis of what the expected income and losses is. I want forecasts budgets for the next three years, and then ten." I walked to the bookshelf looking for the book, "A trend analysis should also put the directors at ease, what we predict and worst case scenario, what do you think Jes-," I stopped, "What are you doing Jesse."

He was looking out the window, again.

Jesse turned around and looked at me his mouth slightly open.

"What is it?" Was he staring at her dig the ground again? Surely it wasn't that exciting.

"Um, are your neighbours home?"

"No they're in China, on a holiday." I said grabbing the book I was looking for, I vaguely remembered Marge saying something, "Why are you talking about my neighbours now. We have more important things to discuss."

"No it's not that....I don't know how to say this but I think you're wife is going to rob them."

I sighed, "What?" was he losing it? I also made a mental note to tell him not to use that term that term was so foreign and strange.

I walked over to the window for the third time in the past half hour and looked out the same time a shadow disappeared, "Where."

"She was there I swear, she just jumped over the fence."

"Did you drink?"

"No, she just like, whoosh....jumped."

"Okay Jesee, let her rob them. Let's get to work."

"But-,"

"Now!"

If she wanted to rob their house, so be it.

* * *

The persistent sound of Jesse's phone ringing was beyond irritating. "Just pick it up." I murmured as I flipped the page.

"No." after a moments of silence, "It's Stacey."

Ahh

"Well, aren't you going to pick it up then?" That was strange of him, not picking up her phone call. "I'm working." was Jesse's reply. Something was amiss. But I let it drop.

"Darius."

"Yes?"

"We don't need all 70%." I looked up from my laptop, "What do you mean."

"We just need 80% to agree with us of 75% of the stakeholders present and we can get this done." I stopped realising what he was talking about. Company law, the rule book.

I smiled, "Genius, alright send out a board meeting announcement and let's hope not everyone rocks up."

I stood up grabbing the car keys, "Where are you going?"

"I need to get the files and the copy of our companies constitution. Also shouldn't we check if the 75-80 rule changes now that we have a partner company."

"Oh...right, yes I forgot about that." Jesse stood up grabbing his things as well, "I'll come with you."

* * *

"If you don't pick up that damn phone can you at least put it on silent?"

Jesse groaned reluctantly put his phone on silent, but it kept vibrating. I looked up from the paperwork waiting till he looked up, "Why are you ignoring her."

"Because I know why she is calling me."

"And why is that?"

"She went on this stupid date with this guy she hasn't even met and she's probably regretting it now, or wants to talk about it."

I raised an eyebrow, "You let her go on a date with someone she hasn't met."

"I told her not to, she did anyway. Not my problem." His phone stopped vibrating. I shook my head not understanding their relationship, they both liked each other but didn't act upon it. Which just seemed stupid, if you wanted something you had to go get it. Not sit and sulk in the computer chair.

My phone went off alerting me with a new message and I looked over, Stacey. I picked it up well aware Jesse was watching my every move and read the message, "She wants me to tell you to go pick her up."

"No."

"Right then." I stood up grabbing my keys.

"Where are you going?"

"Someone has to pick her up."

"You're married."

"This has nothing to do with that, she's a good friend stuck with a creep in a restaurant and you're being childish leaving her there for herself. What if something happens?"

Jesse groaned kicking the table and standing up, "Fine I'll come with, we have what we came for." He started packing up and I waited for him, "Where did she meet him anyway?"

"Tinder."

"What?"

"I know. stupid girl." Jesse muttered as we rushed downstairs to go get her, she always seemed to get herself stuck in some dramatic situation. At the same time she wouldn't text me if it wasn't important.

Jesse seemed restless the whole ride there and I bit my tongue from telling him off, leaving her to meet strangers.

"Go get her." I parked the car pulling out my phone.

"What no, you go."

"Jesse."

"She doesn't want to see me besides you were talking to her."

"I have to take care of the car."

"I'll do it, you go." I gave him a look and sighed, it didn't matter who was manning the car.

"Fine." I threw him the keys as we swapped positions. I clenched my teeth walking inside the restaurant, what a waste of time. I could be doing more research right now. I walked in immediately spotting her with someone who was much older than her.

Stacey waved spotting me and I made my way over, the other man turned to look, "Great date not really but bye." She went to stand up and he reached for her. I frowned.

"We're not done yet."

I leaned over grabbing his wrist pulling it off her and grabbing her clutch, "I think you are."
He looked at me ready to start a fight but thought better of it. That's what I thought. I handed the small pink bag to her, "Let's go."

Stacey rushed off in front of me, almost like she couldn't wait to get out of this place, and with due reason.

"Thanks Darius."

"Don't thank me, just don't do stupid things like that again." She frowned nodding but I knew why she did it. She got into the back seat avoiding eye contact with Jesse and I looked between them.

There was something definitley wrong here. 

"Where to now boss?" Jesse asked breaking the silence.

"My house. Drop me off and then drop Stacey off" at least this would give them an opportunity o speak.

The ride was filled with science, but at least I could think about the proposal. When we pulled into my driveway, I realised there was something amiss. There were cars. 

"I'll bring the car tomorrow." I stepped outside barely hearing Jesse. 

I paused seeing something dripping walk past me, wait...mud. It almost looked like a mud monster.

The monster turned and I met hazel eyes before they turned around and continued to walk.

I made a mental note to call dry cleaning to clean the carpets. I walked past towards the kitchen, as I heard sneezing, a row of them. 

"Ah there you are."

"What is it Marge?" I asked opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle of water our. Leaning against the counter I watched the older woman stir something vigorously, "Do you need help?" I asked, the pot looked awfully heavy. I leaned over grabbing it for her placing it where she wanted on the bench.

"Thanks dear." She grabbed a bowl pouring the unappealing liquid into it "It's soup." She said.

"I didn't ask."

"Well I am telling you anyway, go get hot cross buns from the cook."

"Why?"

"Your wife is sick, go give her this."

I frowned, "Maybe she should have stayed indoors and not have a mud bath, you go give it to her, I have work to do." Placing the bottle back in the fridge I made a move to leave when something warm clipped my arm, "Darius!"

"Did you just hit me."

"I will give you an old fashioned beating if you don't go get hot cross buns and take this up to Ivory!"

I rubbed my arm, it didn't hurt, but it irritated me.

"Fine."

The old woman was so stubborn. She gave me an oscar winning smile shoving me with a hot bowl of sloshing liquid in my hand. Grabbing those stupid buns I headed up the stairs, which room was she in again?

I paused at the door frame listening out for sounds. There were none. And then I did.

I paused in front of the door, should I knock? No, why should I?

I opened the door, the room was dark, the curtains closed but I could smell the scent of soap. Just get this over and done with.

I walked inside only to see she was in bed, somewhere in that heaped lump of blankets. I walked over placing the tray of food on the bedside table and walking straight out closing the door behind me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 8.9K 20
[ A NOT SO LONG STORY] "I don't like sharing what's mine. I don't even like when someone touches what's mine. And you Kiara, you are mine." Fuck, I...
398K 10.4K 35
Kendrick Ryans is the CEO of Ryans Corporate. He's also a big playboy until his playboy behavior was forced to stop. To keep his position and his fat...
230K 9.3K 38
"Quick, kiss me." I choked on my baguette as I looked up at my boss, his intense grey eyes burning into me as my jaw fell open with a mouthful of cho...
4.8M 154K 52
what would you have done if you had a fight with the CEO of the company you work in and threw a bottle of 7 up on his face purposely outside a supe...