Zootopia: The Visitor

By TheNerdyKid2552

Three months ago, the savage case was solved by the first accomplished rabbit police officer, Judy L. Hopps... More

A Night Just Like Tonight
The Freeway
Prints
Other Plans
R U THERE
Luke (Bonus)
Could You Let Me Down Easy
Keep Your Friends Close
Keep Your Enemies Closer
Reach for the Sky
Nightmares
The Gathering
Tooth for Tooth
Turning the Tables
Now and Then
Now You See Me
Now You... Still See Me
Worse than Blueberry Pie
Before the Storm
Friendship Can Be Deadly
This Means War
This Town Ain't Big Enough

Close Encounters of the Worst Kind

5.4K 90 60
By TheNerdyKid2552

Judy and I both sat in Police Chief Bogo's office. He sat across from us behind his desk, glaring. "So tell me," he began. "What exactly did you two find in that forest last night?"

Judy turned to me. "You didn't tell him?"

No, I hadn't told him.

"Right," I tried to get around the situation. "We found someone stealing an important piece of evidence pertaining to this new savage case. Unfortunately, we were unable to take him into custody. That's why I didn't report in to you last night. We spent today trying to find him and in turn, recover that evidence."

"Hmph," Bogo's nostrils flared. "That's a nice little spin on the story, but you don't fool me, Wilde," he turned his computer monitor to face us. "This is you two engaging in a pursuit after that... thing, is it not?"

On the monitor played footage of us chasing the suspect through the park earlier that day.

"Yes sir it is," I answered.

"And may I ask for the real reason you were trying to catch this animal?"

"Because we have reason to believe he may hold answers to who is responsible for the events of last night," I replied.

"What species does this animal belong to?"

"For the moment, we don't know," Judy chipped in. "But we can find out if you let us continue our search for him."

Bogo stared at her. "Hopps, did you have knowledge of Wilde's attempt to withhold this information from me?"

Judy looked conflicted. "Chief, I'm sure he has good-"

"Quit wasting my time and answer the question Hopps!" he didn't let her finish. "Did you know?"

Judy looked down at her lap. "No sir."

"You're dismissed," he told her. "Now leave."

She revolted. "But chief-"

"I said leave! That's an order."

Grudgingly, Judy slid down off the seat next to me and left the room, after which Bogo looked back at me. "Do you even realize what this could mean, Wilde? This thing you're after, it could bloody well be a new species of some kind, an alien, for all you know, and yet you tried to hide it. Keep it a secret," he scolded me.

"To be fair, sir, this is another mammal we're talking about. He's not just some creature to be sought out and-"

"Shut it, Wilde!" he sure had a habit of cutting everybody off. "Now I'm going to ask you this, and you had better answer truthfully. If you lie to me, I will know."

"I'm listening."

"Why did you withhold this information from me? Is there some reason for why you felt the need to keep it hidden?"

"You want my honesty Chief? I decided not to tell you about him because I don't trust you."

The big ox opened his mouth to say something else but I didn't let him. "I knew you well enough to realize that you would seek him out, only to turn him over to the ZIA, where they would, I don't know, imprison him? Experiment on him? Dissect him? Any of one of those things was enough to make me think twice about letting you know he exists."

He laughed at me. "What the devil are you talking about? Don't pester me about trust. Especially after you just lied to me. Besides, I hardly think they'd take it that far, but you can be sure that I'll be handing this animal over upon finding him."

"Of course," I sat back with my arms folded.

Suddenly, Bogo's receiver buzzed. "That fat cheetah always chooses the best moments to ring in," he pressed and held the microphone button. "What is it, Clawhauser?"

"Chief, there's been another attack."

"Like the one last night you mean?" Bogo asked.

"Yes sir, in Tundra Town again."

The police chief lowered his head. "I'm on my way," he let go of the button and turned his attention back to me again before standing up. "Not only did you disobey orders, but you also withheld vital information from the ZPD, and then proceeded to lie about it. For that, you're off this case as of now, Officer Wilde. Do not attempt any further investigations concerning it. Good day," he dismissed me.

I left Bogo's office feeling a mixture of triumph and defeat all at the same time. I had honestly expected the guy to fire me on the spot when I said I didn't trust him, so it came as a surprise to me when I walked out with my job. But then there was the fact that I had been purged from the investigation. I was no longer allowed to participate in the search for our suspect, or discovering the cause of these savage attacks.

  And now it's happening again. I thought.

Judy saw me coming down the stairs. "How'd it go?" she asked nervously.

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't like my answer. "I'm off the case. I can't help you crack it anymore."

Her ears drooped, disappearing behind her head. "Nick, I'm sorry."

"No no, don't be sorry. I'm the one that decided it was a good idea not to tell Chief Buffalo-Butt about the guy we're after. Besides, it was you who dragged me into this, remember? I'm on leave right now for crying out loud. If anything, I should be happy he's giving me my vacation back," I tried to put a positive spin on the situation.

"You sure you're gonna be okay?" she wanted me to confirm.

"Hopps!" it was Bogo again. I assumed he had come back from talking to Clawhauser. "There's been another attack in Tundra. Come on, you're with me."

Judy looked back at where I was standing, still waiting for my answer.

"I'll be fine Carrots. You'd better get going," I reassured her.

She nodded and turned around to leave. "Oh! Wait, before you go," I stopped her, and came close so that only she could hear. "Promise me that if you find him, you won't let Bogo get to him."

Her eyebrows creased. "Why? Bogo's our police chief, Nick. We can't just-"

"Promise me, Judy," I became stern.

She looked conflicted once again. "I'll do what I can."

"Let's go Hopps!" Bogo yelled from the entrance of the ZPD.

I watched as they both exited the building, along with a few other cops, leaving me there to wander about.

  Well. I guess I can go home now. I thought with a sigh, and headed for one of the side doors to the station. I could have taken the cruiser, but I figured Judy would need it more than I did when she got back. I didn't live quite as far away as she did, so I walked. The night was in motion, and the stars were already following the moon across the sky.

For the next twenty minutes I strolled down the sidewalk, once again surrounded by streetlights. You know, the ones that never seem to go out? The whole thing was giving me dejavou. Walking past the curb, among the night-lit streets of Zootopia. Another attack, and yet again in Tundra Town, no less.

I groaned as I was suddenly reminded that, while I was stuck over here, Judy and the rest of the force were over there actually figuring out what was going on. At least, I hoped they were. I tried not to let their situation into my mind for too long, because I knew that the more I thought about it, the more I'd be tempted to ignore Bogo's orders and continue on with the investigation myself. It probably would've been best for me to sit the rest of it out though. I needed a break anyway. Looking out at the city, I realized how much I wanted to rest. I was glad I was going home.

It was late again, and the sky was pitch-black, in contrast to all the lights below. There weren't too many mammals out, and the ones that were seemed to be heading home like myself. The streets became more dimly lit as I walked, and it wasn't long before I found myself all alone. I came to a paved path that would take me through a stretch of land covered with trees in Zootopia where there weren't any buildings, basically a central park where one would usually have a picnic, or just walk through for some outdoor exposure. It was a small detour but it was pretty enough -even at night-, that I didn't mind. It was extremely eerie with no one else around, but I didn't mind that either. In fact, I found it to be somewhat relaxing next to the buzzing of traffic, and chattering of pedestrians that you'd experience by day.

But that eeriness was soon broken by a loud scratching sound to my left. I looked, but it was hard to see what was making that racket through the bushes that happened to obscure what was on the other side, so I walked around. I tried to be quiet, just as a precaution, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I finally saw that it was just a wolf. Probably just some hooligan goofing around after dark. Then I noticed that he was scratching- clawing at a tree in front of him.

Is he trying to climb it or something? I thought. Watching him made me a little nervous. "Hey, buddy," I called to him. He was standing a ways away from me, and looked my way when I spoke up. "You okay?" He didn't say anything. "Hello?" I asked, feeling a bit uneasy.

To my horror, the big canine dropped down on all fours, and I could hear a deep growl begin to rise from his throat. "Oh... you've gotta be kidding," I said to myself, not able to move.

The wolf broke into a run toward me, barking and snarling, ready to snap me up in his jaws. I just stood there and braced myself for what I now knew was going to be my end. I could almost feel the breath on my face when something suddenly grabbed my shirt collar and pulled me up into the tree above.

"Dah! Get off me! Let go!" I yelled with my eyes shut, struggling to loosen the grip.

"Shush! Shut up! Stop yelling! You're safe now," whatever was holding me set me down lightly on a nearby tree branch, which I held onto with my life, if I still had it, that was. I opened my eyes. "I'm alive?"

"Yes. Yes you are, thanks to yours truly," the voice said again.

I looked up to see a tall, lanky, furless creature that I quickly recognized as the same strange animal Judy and I had been relentlessly chasing after for the past twenty-four hours, now sitting only inches away from me. "It's you," I said incredulously.

"In the flesh," he gestured to himself.

I looked him up and down. This was the first time I'd been able to see the guy up close. He was just a kid. Bigger than I was, but a kid all the same. "Aren't you supposed to be running away by now?" I mocked.

He pointed toward the ravenous wolf below. "Can't."

I looked down at the large canine, who was still snarling and clawing at the bark of the tree a few feet down.

"Don't worry about him though," he reassured me. "Last time I checked, wolves can't climb trees."

I returned my stare back to him. "What are you talking about? Yes they can, I've seen them do it," I begged to differ.

He shook his head. "Not this one."

My head started to buzz. I couldn't even grasp what was happening.

"Everything alright? You don't look so good," he asked.

"Yeah well, you don't look so hot either, pal" I said back.

"I'll take that as an insult," he muttered.

"No. I mean your arm," I pointed out.

"Oh yeah, that," he looked at the giant bite on his arm like he was seeing it for the first time. "I had a bit of a struggle with our mutual friend down there, right before you showed up actually. Had to climb up here to escape. As long as he didn't have rabies, I should be fine though."

True, he was bleeding a good bit, but not bad enough to be anything urgent. He sat up against the trunk with his legs out on the branch. I looked at his clothes. He wore a dark blue T-shirt and jeans with his black jacket tied around his waist. He also wore a pair of black and white shoes, and sure enough, they read 'Converse All-Stars' on the bottom. He didn't seem to have any visible fur on his body except for the top and back of his head.

"I know. I'm pretty strange looking, aren't I?" he noticed me staring.

"Hah, well believe it or not I've seen stranger looking than you, buddy," I told him.

"Uhh, thanks, I guess?"

"Anytime. So, any ideas on how to get out of this?" I asked.

"Yeah. Doubt you're gonna like it though," he replied.

"Shoot."

He raised his eyebrows. "Okay, it's pretty simple. You see that fence right over there?" he pointed to a chain-linked fence nearby. On the other side was an alleyway.

I nodded in acknowledgment.

"It's close enough that I'm pretty sure we can make it. When I tell you, I need you to start running," he explained his plan.

"...that's it?" I protested. "Bee-line it and hope everything's jolly-good? Not sure I wanna bet my life on that."

"Hey, you got any better ideas? Because I'm open to literally anything else right now," he countered.

"I don't know... throw something as a distraction. That ought to buy us a few seconds," I suggested.

"Hmmm... okay," he broke a thinner branch off of the trunk, but big enough to steal the wolf's attention, I hoped.

"Here goes nothing," he suddenly threw the stick as far as he could chuck it.

"Wait, now?" I asked fearfully.

"Now!" he yelled.

We both jumped out of the tree, stumbling as we hit the ground and sprinted for the fence. I could hear the wolf bark and growl as he noticed us within his reach, and then I could hear the patting of his paws on the ground behind us.

"Frick, frick, frick!" the guy beside me started yelling, as he undoubtedly heard the savage animal gaining on us. He made it to the fence before I did and was at the top in a flash, his superior height probably giving him some edge.

"Give me your hand!" he yelled down to me, reaching out.

"My what?"

"Your paw-thing! Jump so I can grab it!"

Finally understanding, I did what he told me, and he pulled me up just before the slobbering animal was able to get me in his jaws. We both hopped over the other side to safety, proceeding to rest our paws on our knees, and trying to catch our breath. The fence rattled and shook with anger as the wolf tried, and failed to reach us. It wasn't long before he gave up and ran away.

We both started laughing nervously as we realized we had gotten away unscathed. Well, almost unscathed. The guy in front of me limped over toward the corner. "Ow, ow, ow," he whimpered quietly to himself as he sat up against the wall.

"What's the matter with you?" I asked.

He looked up at me as I stood in front of him. "Remember that building I jumped off of today?"

I nodded. "All too well."

"Yeah well, that hurt. A lot. I'm still surprised I didn't break my leg," he explained.

"Hah, you should've thought about that before you ran from us," I said.

"Yeah, I guess so," he chuckled, then looked me in the eyes. "But I guess I've run long enough. You were bound to catch me sometime. Are you gonna take me in now, officer?"

  I gave a tired laugh. "Maybe later. In the meantime I've got some questions I need to ask. For starters, who are you?"

  He smiled. "Right, I think we got off on the wrong foot. My name's Luke," he held out his paw. I was a little hesitant for a second, but then I remembered that he had just saved my life. Twice. "Wilde. Nick Wilde," I shook his paw with mine. I noticed how soft it was. No pads. That's interesting, I thought.

  "Pleased to meet you, Nick," he said.

  "So, why exactly did you run from us today, Luke?"

  He laughed hysterically. "In the hopes of not getting arrested, of course. Much less by a bunny and a fox," he snickered. I didn't find it funny.

  "And what about last night? You seemed so scared, freaked out even. You don't seem that way now." Since I finally had my chance to get all of those questions lingering on in my head answered, I was taking full advantage of it.

"Oh believe me, I'm still freaked out, and yes, I was afraid," he admitted. "But, I think I understand a little better now. What this place is, and all that."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He looked like he was trying really hard to find the best way of explaining. "Well, I mean all of- this." He gestured to our environment. "What do you guys call it, again? Zootropolis or something?"

"Zootopia?" I corrected.

He snapped a finger as he pointed at me. "That's the one! 'Zootopia...'"

I folded my arms. "You're telling me you've never heard of Zootopia until today?"

"Heard of it? I never would have thought it was even possible until today."

"You never would've thought what was possible?" I asked, still confused. "The city, or the fact that animals of all kinds live together in it? If it's that second one, I totally get it."

"Uhh... kind of?" he struggled. "Oh boy, this is gonna take a lot of explaining."

"You're darn right it is," I agreed.

"Okay, let's start with the basics," he sighed. "First, you should probably know that I'm a human."

"A what?" I didn't understand.

"That's my species. Human," he reiterated.

"Never heard of a 'human.'"

"I wouldn't have expected you to."

"So where exactly are you from, then?" I kept asking questions.

"Right, I was gonna get to that," he seemed to continue thinking about the best way to put it for me. "What if I told you, that there was a time -yesterday actually- that I never would've imagined talking to a fox like you?"

I raised an eyebrow. "What, you got some kind of beef with foxes?"

"What? No, that's not what I-"

"I understand," I was willing to admit. "We foxes can be a real pain in the rear sometimes, I won't deny it."

He shook his head. "No, no, no. What I mean is, animals in general. Before last night, I had never met another animal who could talk."

I stood there in silence for a moment while I processed his words. "I don't get it."

He sighed in frustration. "You will, assuming that I see you again during my stay in jail."

"Well, actually I was thinking that you'd be more fit for an asylum than jail."

"Oh, lucky me," he muttered.

"I wasn't finished," I continued. "And after some some additional contemplation, I've decided I might just want you all to myself. This stuff is just too good for me to pass up."

He looked up at me in mild surprise. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're coming with me, but not to the police station," I explained.

"Where then?"

I gave him a look. "To my house, of course. I've got some bandages and supplies at home. You can give me all the details there and stay until we get this whole thing sorted out. Besides, that arm isn't gonna patch itself, right?"

He didn't seem convinced. "Seriously, you'd do that?"

"Well sure," I said. "After all it's not a very far walk from here, assuming that leg isn't gonna give you too much trouble on the way."

"Your sudden kindness is a little bit unsettling to me, but okay." he stood up and gestured toward the end of the alley. "Lead the way."

I got my bearings real quick and started down the path which would take us to my house. It was kind of awkward just walking around with the guy who I'd literally been after earlier that day, so I tried to keep the conversation going. "Gosh, Judy might literally flip when she sees you."

"Judy... is that the rabbit you're always running around with?" he asked.

"What makes you say that?"

"Just have a feeling, since you two were together both times that we met before now."

"Yep, that's her."

"I thought so," he said, obviously impressed with himself. "You... sure your partner is gonna feel the same way as you do about this?"

I hadn't given much thought to the question until that moment. "...no, not entirely. She usually does things by the book, but I think I can ease her in somehow."

"If you say so..."

I started to wonder something else. "By the way, how come you just happened to be there when I was about to become wolf chow? You weren't following me, were you?"

He gave me a look. "No. I've been running from you this whole time, remember? I was following that thing back there," he pointed his thumb behind him, obviously talking about the wolf.

"Why?"

"To see if I could somehow get some answers. Unfortunately, it picked up my scent along the way and got the drop on me," he replied.

"Why do you keep calling him an 'it' and 'thing?' You do realize he's a mammal just like you and me, right?" I corrected him.

"A mammal? Yes. Like you and me? No, not at all."

"I still don't know what you mean."

He sighed. "There's honestly so much to tell you, and I don't even know where to begin."

"It's alright, don't worry about it. You can get me filled in later," I said.

There was a somewhat long silence before I yawned real loud. "Gosh I need some sleep. I haven't had a chance to for the past two days."

"You and me both," he added.

"Then you're in luck, buddy," I said. "My couch is yours for the taking."

He was silent for a moment. "...I never said thank you."

"And you won't have to," I replied. "Trust me, you're doing me a favor."

It was only a minute or so later that my house came into sight.

"That your van?" Luke asked, pointing to the large vehicle still parked out front.

"No. That belongs to Finnick."

"Who?"

"Let's just say, you're about to find out," I muttered, leading the way to my front door and opening it for him.

He hesitated. "If you've got a friend in there, then perhaps it'd be better for him to see you first."

"You mean Finnick? He can scream his head off for all I care. Not that he will though," I ushered him inside once more, and he complied, ducking his head under the doorway, since he was a little tall for it. I followed behind as he walked cautiously into my house looking around, until he saw those two giant ears poking over the top of the couch.

"Is that him?" Luke asked.

"Yea, that's Finn alright."

He hadn't noticed us yet, since he was too busy blasting his screamo on MTZ, as usual. Luke covered his ears. I was sure that it was out of fear that his eardrums would explode if he didn't, so I grabbed the remote sitting on the arm of the couch and turned the volume down.

"Hey, c'mon man! What's the big-" Finnick whipped around to protest at me but stopped short when he saw Luke.

Luke just made an awkward waving motion. "Hello there," was all that he said.

Finn slipped down off of the couch, and hobbled toward the large human standing in my living room, staring up at him in awe. "He's a tall mofo," he remarked.

Luke seemed relieved that he hadn't freaked out.

"Yes. Yes he is. In fact, just how tall are you?" I asked.

"Just under six feet," he replied.

"Lucky, I'm only two-thirds of that. Anyway Finnick, this is Luke. He's a human," I introduced him.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Luke said politely, bending down and holding out his paw.

Finn, like me, was hesitant at first, but took it anyway, after which his face lit up. "Why's his paw feel so soft?" he asked yet again in awe.

"Oh, actually, I don't have paws. These are hands," Luke showed them to him. "See? I don't have those pads like you do, so mine are called hands."

"Isn't it close enough? Quit making up vocabulary. You've got paws, kid," I said to him.

Luke shrugged his shoulders. "Have it your way. I guess I don't really care what you call 'em, but now you know."

"Why's he bleedin' all over the place?" Finn asked.

"Oh yeah, I forgot I needed to get you patched up," I remembered.

"What happened to him?"

"He got attacked by a wolf," I replied.

"Why?"

"Because they went savage," I tried to explain while grabbing some bandages out of a cabinet in my kitchen.

"Actually, no," Luke contradicted me.

"What do you mean?" I stopped digging for a moment.

"That wolf didn't go savage," he said.

"Explain," I finally found some gauze and alcohol, along with bandages, and a cloth, which I put in warm water.

"You're gonna find this hard to believe, but those animals; the bear and the wolf. They're not from this world. I'm not either. Like I was saying before, just yesterday, I never would have imagined talking to a fox, or a bunny, or a fennec like this guy right here," he pointed toward Finnick.

"And why's that?," Finn asked a good question.

"Because, in my world, none of them can talk. All of them are like that wolf and bear, except, not usually as hungry."

I was still having trouble processing what he was saying. "Okay so let me get this straight. You're from another world? Like an alien?" I asked, still utterly confused. Then I proceeded to clean his arm and wrap it. He flinched at the sting of the alcohol, but it subsided.

"No, I'm not an alien... I think," he continued. "I guess I shouldn't say 'another world' as much as I should say 'another universe.' Somehow, these animals and I were brought here from our universe, and I don't know how. This place, Zootopia, it's like the Los Angeles or the New York of my universe. It's a parallel. It's just like one of our cities, only instead of humans, it's every mammal in our place, or us in yours. Take your pick, but do you get what I'm saying now?"

I was actually beginning to understand, but I didn't know if I could believe it. "Yeah I think so, but this is just too much for me to handle in one night, and I'm sure we could all use some rest," I suggested.

Luke and Finn both nodded in agreement.

"I'll sleep out in my van. This guy can have the couch," Finn offered, heading for my front door.

"Thanks," Luke said to him before he left.

"Don't mention it. Chow."

I finished wrapping Luke's arm. "There ya go. All patched up. You're probably pretty hungry, so help yourself to whatever you want, not that there's really anything edible in this house. I'm going to bed," I said to him before heading off to my room.

He looked around for a minute. "Nah, I'm really too tired to feel like eating anything right now, so I think I'm gonna follow your lead," he declined.

"Okay see ya tomorrow, and don't think for one second that you're off the hook. I still have plenty of questions for you as soon as you're up," I reminded. "Can I trust you not to run away on me again?"

  "Don't worry, after almost freezing to death and nearly breaking my leg, I think I've had my fill of running," Luke reassured. "Besides, you seem like a nice guy, for... someone who's a talking fox."

  "Good. Wouldn't want to have to chase you down a third time," I warned as I began walking toward my room before I stopped. "Oh yeah, and sorry about the mess," I apologized for my tornado-afflicted home.

"Don't sweat it. It's not like my own bedroom ever looked any better," he sat down on the couch. "Goodnight, Todd."

My ears pointed straight up. "What?"

Luke only laughed, lying down now. "Whoops, guess you could say I know another fox by that name."

"Uh... okay," I turned all the lights off, entered my room and plopped onto my small bed with a huge sigh. It had been too long. I didn't even take my clothes off, because as soon as my furry head hit that pillow, I was out cold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 429 20
"Even the most optimistic people cry, Judy. It's nothing new, and it makes you no less brave than if you hadn't." After an injury involving a crimina...
446K 12.7K 73
[BOOK 2 NOW INCLUDED] Nick Wilde is hopelessly in love with the magnificent Judy Hopps, and wants to claim her as his own. But it's not easy to be th...
1.7K 46 4
Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde are partners, there's a mayoral election happening in Zootopia, and the only worry the bunny cop has is the way her heart p...
26.1K 1.3K 49
Judy has just graduated from the police academy and she is ready to travel to Zootopia and get her first job as a police officer. The morning of that...