Never Worry About Me

By AmarisKeifer

Book #1: Never Worry About Me (girlxgirl) Book #2: My Guardian Angel (girlxgirl) Angelica Rose (18) is a Chri... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: I Don't Care What Anyone Thinks of Me
Chapter 2: Scars
Chapter 4: Invisibility
Chapter 5: The Package
Chapter 6: Icy-Blue
Chapter 7: Darkened Sky
Chapter 8: The Meadows
Chapter 9: Reminiscence
Chapter 10: Do I Dare?
Chapter 11: "My mind deceived my heart."
Chapter 12: Katherine
Chapter 13: Under Love's Warm Haze
Chapter 14: The Day Before Prom
Chapter 15: Prom Night (Part 1)
Chapter 16: Prom Night (Part 2)
Chapter 17: Somewhere
Chapter 18: Old Flame
~SEQUEL~

Chapter 3: Confidence

10.8K 410 139
By AmarisKeifer

"Make sure to finish your homework! I want a well-written essay over anything that interests you. This will help me get to know you all better, both, as a writer, and on a more personal level." Ms. Hale instructed.

We all nodded as everyone gathered their things and headed out the door.

I slowly rose up out of my seat and started packing my bag until a low raspy voice startled me.

"Hey... I'm sorry." Nathan apologized, with his head down. "I guess I pick on other kids because I'm insecure, myself, and picking on you makes me feel less bad about those insecurities."

My eyes widened as I stood there, both, in shock and in awe.

"Wow, Nathaniel... I didn't know. I'm sorry that you're having a difficult time, and if you want, we can be friends, and perhaps, I can help you feel better. I'd help you in any way I can."

He let out a laugh in which he couldn't hold in any longer.

"You seriously bought that?"

I frowned as I continued to put my papers into my folder.

"Silly of you to think I would apologize to someone like you." As he walked toward the door, he mouthed, "You aren't worth my breath."

I sighed as I slipped my arms through the straps of my backpack. Just when I thought he had actually changed; just when I thought he had matured and opened up his heart, he proved me wrong.

Soon after, I lifted my head and noticed Ms. Hale's eyes on me.

Throughout the entire class period, she didn't once acknowledge that I existed. Unlike class yesterday, where all she seemed to care about was my safety, she couldn't bring herself to express any of that concern today.

She just addressed the class, as a whole, and sat at her desk, buried in one of her books, as we worked on our essays.

She must have felt too ashamed of what happened last night and couldn't convince herself to talk to me. And, I'm not going to lie. It hurt so much because she was the only one in my life that actually showed me that my life was worth anything.

Everyone belittled me and took my kindness and lack of retaliation for granted.

Ms. Hale slowly put her book down and walked over to me, her icy blue eyes concentrating on my sad expression the entire time.

"Angel." She said, in a low voice but above a whisper. "Can you stay after class for a minute?"

Staring into her eyes, I saw her regret and remorse. I squinted my eyes as I gave a small nod.

"Sure, Ms. Hale..." I smiled politely, but she could see the hurt and the dismay in it.

She opened her mouth, attempting to say something more, but then almost immediately closed it.

We both stared at the door as it shut, and then we redirected our stares back onto each other.

We were alone.

"Angelica, about last night..."

She looked at the ground as if she was ashamed of the memory.

"I was so unprofessional and cruel to you... a student. There are no words that could even describe how terribly sorry I am for putting you through all of that, for allowing my emotions to run out of control and for you having to witness that."

I smiled weakly as I instinctively wrapped my arms around her. Not for me, but for her. Though she had scared me, it was evident that she was scared that night also. And, for whatever the reason, though I didn't know then, I wanted to help her.

At first, she just stood there, in shock, barely returning the hug, but later, she tightened her grip around my waist, making me lose my breath.

"T-thank you... Angelica." A hopeful tear ran down her face and onto my shoulder.

My eyes widened, but I didn't look up.

I didn't want to see my teacher cry. She was hurting... so much. But, I didn't know why. It made my heart ache for her. I wanted her to feel happy again.

I knew what true pain felt like. I knew how true sadness could deteriorate your soul.

And, in that moment, I wished that no one would have to go through that kind of pain ever again.

"I didn't expect you to hug me."

She wiped her tears from her face as she unwrapped one of her arms and held my chin in between her thumb and forefinger. She looked into my eyes and gave me a painful smile that made me want to cry, but I held it together.

"I'm supposed to be comforting you, yet you're the one comforting me." She let out the faintest laugh.

Not knowing what had possessed me in that moment, or why I had felt compelled to do so, I traced the outline of Katherine's jaw, admiring her perfect facial structure... and her.

"I don't want to see my teacher cry." I vocalized, with a confidence I didn't know I had.

She chuckled, lightly. "I must look really pathetic and childish to you right now..." She whined.

"No. You don't, Katherine. You're just being human."

"I'm being a child..." She persisted.

"Okay... maybe you are acting like one," I mocked playfully.

The way Ms. Hale's eyes seem to light up with her laughter she half-hid with her hand made my heart flutter, subconsciously.

"Angelica, was that a joke? Did you just joke around me?" She arched a brow. "When I first saw you, you were so shy. You looked like you would be running away screaming if you weren't required to sit in my classroom."

I blushed a deep red. I was shy. I've always been, no matter who I was around.

But, in that moment, something in me, a part of me that didn't worry, the part of me that I didn't know existed, came out.

She brought it out of me.

"I am shy." I wasn't denying it.

She stared at me intently as if taking mental notes on what I was going to say next.

"But, with you..."

"You bring the best out of me," we spoke in unison.

The coloring in my cheeks deepened as I heard her agree with me.

Whatever this was, whatever was happening between us, it was clear to me then that she felt it too.

It was as if the universe wanted us to meet. But, like this? It was a cruel game we had to play. I was a student, barely over eighteen, and a devoted Christian, yet I was put into a life that didn't fit me... and I was growing too close to someone I barely knew, but shouldn't know on a personal level.

And, no matter how much I longed to have a deep and affectionate connection with someone, I had to remind myself that she was my teacher and that it would be wrong if we were to become friends... or more than that.

I had to let go of what I had searched for, and it broke my heart.

I broke our eye contact as I released her face from my grasp.

She watched my sudden gaze towards the ground before lifting my chin up once more, in order to reconnect my eyes and figure out what I was thinking... or feeling.

"What are you thinking about?"

I bit my lip. A Christian must be honest, but some truths are too hard to say.

"Just that..." I saw my reflection within her dilating pupils.

I want to tell her.

"I should get going."

"To your house?" She presumed.

I felt my body quiver at the thought of being in that house again and with my abusive father.

Though it was my house, I felt very unwelcomed there, and it was the last place I wanted to go to.

My thoughts of last night abruptly and harshly flooded my mind though I tried to forget.

***

Standing in front of my door, my hand hovered over the doorknob, hesitantly, while my brows creased together; my eyes dampening.

Ms. Hale...

My lashes were stained by the evidence of tears.

I had been crying... every since I had left her house... but, now-

Before I could linger any longer in indecision, the door soon swung open, the silhouette of my father's tall and lean figure blocking the entrance.

My dried up tears resurfaced as my sobbing grew in front of him.

His face scrunched up in disgust.

"What's the matter with you, rat? You spoiled punk!"

My tears continued to downpour.

Was this what it felt like to have heartbreak? It feels as though my heart has been squeezed.

If it wasn't for my cloudy gaze, I would have probably noticed the beers behind him over the kitchen counter, or perhaps the fact that his breath reeked of alcohol.

Although, it wasn't until I felt his abrasive grip tightening over my wrist that I knew what was coming next.

"D-dad, please-"

Dragging me into the house by the hair, he slammed the door behind him before smacking my face, brutally. Luckily, it didn't leave a mark.

I winced in pain, lifting a hand to touch my cheek when he then grabbed my hand, viciously, throwing me into the living room.

I felt my body grow weaker and weaker, and I knew at any moment that I would pass out.

"I know what you were up to."

My eyes started closing, due to fatigue, but I got a glimpse of the shadowy figure approaching me.

"I can't believe you actually tried hiding from me... again! I'm your freakin' father! Show me some respect!"

Rage filled his voice as it heightened after every word he spoke.

"I-I'm sorry... Da-"

I was interrupted by another smack to the face.

I cupped my hands and buried my face in them as tears streamed down, burning my skin.

"Shut up! Don't you dare speak."

***

"How much more can I take..?" I thought.

Ms. Hale's eyes widened as she pulled me into another hug. My body ached at her touch. I felt very sore.

"Did I just say that out loud?"

I pleaded that I hadn't, but, unfortunately, I did.

"You did..." She stroked my hair, still holding me close to her.

"Is it about your home?"

Releasing me, she soon looked into my eyes, her stare filled with concern.

"Did something happen? Are you hurt?"

I stared silently into her eyes, unable to bring myself to answer.

"You're coming home with me." She finalized.

She picked up her case from her desk and then reached for my hand, which I gratefully took.

"Yes ma'am." It was all I could manage to say.

***

As I stepped my foot into the now familiar house, I found myself looking for the broken plates, the lamp and the scattered papers, but it was as if it had never happened. She cleaned it up well.

"You can sit down on the couch, sweetie, and we can watch a movie and eat ice cream. How does that sound?"

Though she smiled at me, I could see through that smile. She did it to make me feel more at ease, when, in reality, she was worried about me.

"Sounds good," I softly spoke, ignoring my thoughts.

A few minutes later, after giving me a bowl of ice cream, Katherine Hale opened up a drawer within the table underneath her T.V.

"Okay. Don't judge, but I don't usually watch movies here at my house, so they're mostly older ones."

I grinned widely at her cuteness.

"What do you have?"

"Princess Bride. Um..." She scavenged further. "White Chicks, Mean Girls, Kung Fu Pand-" She cut herself short as her cheeks reddened ever so slightly. "How about we just do Princess Bride? It's a bit romantic... but the story is very heart-warming and fantastic."

I laughed and nodded in approval. "I don't mind."

She slipped the movie into the DVR, and I instantly got intrigued. It was so random, and most of the things couldn't happen, but it ultimately showed how true love could prevail and conquer anything, which made me have hope.

Maybe Katherine and I can-

"Angelica." I heard a whisper, and I turned my head to find Katherine watching me, rather than the movie.

"U-um. Yes?" My shyness returned, and I suddenly felt awkward with her being this close to me.

"How are you liking the movie?"

I could see the excitement in her eyes. Though she made it out like she didn't care for any of the movies she had, she seemed especially thrilled about this one.

I matched her smile and winked after saying, "Oldies rock!"

"Doesn't it though?" She agreed, letting out a light laughter.

"Yea. It's definitely a great movie, but I wish the creators would have made this more realistic."

"You don't like the poison?" She smirked.

"It's not that," I giggled with her. "It's more about the message..."

I scratched my forehead as my smile transformed slightly.

"The movie is really pointing out the impossible. It basically influences the idea that love prevails and can conquer anything, but in real life..." Our eyes met. "...that is just a delusion. Don't you think?"

I didn't know why but, after asking that question, I genuinely wanted to know her answer. I wanted to know how she felt on the matter.

I suddenly wished she would disagree with me, and, to my luck, she did.

"I disagree completely," she stated, wholeheartedly. "True, there will be tough battles and risks down the road... but that's with everything you do in life."

She then leaned in closer and tucked my loose strands of hair behind my ears.

I felt my heartbeat quickening, and I suddenly felt a bit better. It was when she would do things like this, I would feel like the old me again. The happy, carefree Angelica.

"...and I think that when you find your true love, it's worth fighting for. No question about it."

I nodded slowly, trying to comprehend what she had just said, as I felt the warmth of her hands behind my ears. She still had them there, which made me wonder if that was intentional or if she hadn't noticed, herself.

"Y-yea." I finally spoke. "It would be nice to believe that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

682K 2.6K 65
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
7.1K 438 41
Skye and Kat's daughters are all grown up, or well some still have a little growing up to do. Nia is business savvy like her mom Skye, Dora the arti...
113K 8.5K 28
Book two. A spin-off to "Ms. Jones You're My Trigger", following Marshall's story. Experience a story of a seventeen years old orphan, who has never...
262K 12.3K 42
Kate Aster is a skilled surgeon who takes on high-risk cases most of her colleagues would refuse. But she holds a closely guarded secret. She is a wi...