As Radiant As The Sun

Par starsquad451

Katniss is homeless. Ever since her family has died, she has struggled to find a job and a way to get money... Plus

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
authors note
chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Editing Update!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
¿Ideas?
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 18

319 15 32
Par starsquad451

KATNISS POV

I never realized how boring bed rest actually is. I thought it might be kind of nice to catch up on lost sleep, but really its just sitting or laying down constantly. Haymitch is trying to keep me entertained, which I appreciate, but spending too much time with someone like Haymitch can get bad.

"Do you have a four?"

"Go fish."

"UGH! Come on, Katniss!"

"What did I do?"

"I would've won"

"Well sorry, I don't have a four! If I did, I would've given it to you!"

"Just take your turn."

I sigh. "Do you have a six?"

"Aw man!" He throws my six at me, meaning I win the game.

"Yes!" I slap the pair on the table along with the 9 others. "6th win in a row!"

"Beginners luck." I hear Haymitch mutter under his breath.

"Haymitch, I'm not a beginner. We've played this game for the past six days. Since I went on bed rest."

"Well then maybe you should go back to bed."

"NO!"

"Then shut up"

"Fine!" We sit in silence for a few minutes until Haymitch speaks up.

"Wanna play another round?" I smirk and shuffle the cards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's even worse now that Haymitch is back at school. I sit bored for forever. Sometimes I play solitare. I have no friends to call, so I sit by myself on the couch for 7 hours. My eyes always light up when I hear the key slipping in the door, because I know that means Haymitch is home and I can talk to someone again.

When this happens today, I am taking a nap.

I never heard him come in, but I woke up when I heard a pan crash to the ground. My head flew up and I looked around startled. "Sorry sweetheart." I groan and fall back down onto the couch. having been on bed rest, I'm actually quite tired.

"What are you attempting to cook?" I ask him while grabbing the remote and flipping on the TV

"Lamb stew. Ever had it before?" My mind flashes back to the first night I spent with Peeta. I remember it being delicious.

"Yes. I had it my first night at Peeta's house. It was good."

"Yeah, well mine won't be as good as his, but you're just going to have to deal with it."

"Do you want any help?"

"No. You're on bed rest!" I turn my attention back to the TV, but I'm not really paying attention. I hate day-time TV. I cant tell you how many episodes of jeopardy I have watched this past week since Haymitch has went back to school.

"You get your stitches out soon." Haymitch calls from the kitchen. I laugh.

"Trust me, I know. I have been counting down the days. Monday, approximately four days from now."

"Wow."

"Yeah. I'm sick of sitting, if you hadn't noticed."

"I did." He goes back to stirring the stew. after about 10 minutes he announces its ready and comes over to help me get up. I limp over to the table. The stew is good, but its not Peeta Mellark good. "Do you like it?" I look up. The meal has been silent until now, besides the constant noise from our spoons against our bowls. I nod with a smile. Haymitch notices my lack of words, and even though I am a quiet person, he knows by the look in his eye he knows I am not 100% honest. "What? What's wrong with it?" I look up again

"Nothing is wrong with it. It is very good, It just reminds me of him." Haymitch sighs.

"I'm sorry sweetheart." I nod and finish my stew in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*spongebob voice* Four days later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*STILL KATNISS*

I wake up with a spring in my step. today is when I get my stitches out. I could not be more excited. I know even when they get taken out I still need to be on bed rest for another 5 days, but I don't care. The ugly stitches will be out. Haymitch is coming back around 2:00 to take me to the hospital. I go into the kitchen to get myself some breakfast, when I hear the phone ring. I walk over and pick it up. I hate answering the phone. I get nervous as to who could be on the other end. I place it onto my ear and answer with a nervous Hello. I am relieved when I hear Haymitch's voice on the other end.

"Hey sweetheart. How's your morning been?"

"Good so far, I just woke up though. I am just making breakfast now." I say as I slip slices of bread into the toaster. "What about you? How was your morning?" Haymitch chuckles on the other end. My curiosity gets the best of me. "Why are you laughing?"

"My morning was more eventful then usual."

"Why what happened?"

"I got to chat with Finnick Odair."

"You talked to Finnick? No wonder you had an eventful morning. What did he do?"

"He walked in my office and sat down asking if I could ponder his life with him whatever that means."

"What?!"

"Yeah. Odd kid. I just called to see how your morning was. I'll see you at two. You're on bed rest Katniss remember that!"

"Yeah yeah." The beeping on the other line cues the end of the call. I put the phone back and take my toast out of the toaster. After spreading peanut butter on it, I grab the plate and sit on the couch.

When 2:00 rolls around, I cannot sit still. I have waited 2 weeks for these stitches to be out, and it is finally happening. I don't know why I am so excited for this, but I have been waiting for two weeks, so, yeah I'm really excited. When Haymitch pulls into the driveway, he doesn't have a chance to get out of the car before I am in the front seat. We stay silent for most of the ride.

"Would you stop that?" I look at him questioningly.

"Stop what?"

"Your leg!" He points down at my leg and I see it bouncing up and down out of nervousness.

"Sorry." I try my best to make it stop, but it doesn't work. The ride to the hospital feels like hours, but its only around 30 minutes. The automatic doors open for Haymitch and I as we walk into the waiting room, causing some heads to turn to look at us. Haymitch turns to me. "Go sit down, I'm going to run to the bathroom." I nod and find some seats in a corner. After thirty seconds of awkwardly examining my fingernails, I see someone make their way over to me.

"Katniss?!" I look up to see someone I haven't seen in a long time. An old friend you could say, though very few words were exchanged between the two of us.

"Hi Madge. It's been awhile since I last saw you, how have you been? I push my short hair out of my eyes.

"I'm okay. We've been worried about you. where have you been?"

"Sick. I've been on bed rest for two weeks."

"When will you be back?"

"Depends on how this appointment goes, I suppose. How has everyone been?"

"We're fine. We miss you." Her phone rings. when she answers it, her eyes widen. "Oh No! I forgot I have to work! I'm coming!" She hangs up. "Bye, Katniss! See you soon! feel better!" I wave and pick up a magazine that is on a table nearby me. The front cover displays the headline SHOULD DAY-TIME TV BE BANNED? CEASER FLICKERMAN GIVES HIS OPINION. Ceaser Flickerman is the day-time TV king. that man is on every show, every commercial, and has a talk show of his own. I laugh to myself. who cares what Ceaser Flickerman says, Katniss says yes with a capital Y.

I see Haymitch walk over with a bag of gummy worms in his hands. I raise my eyebrows. "I thought you said you were going to the bathroom!"

"I did, but these gummy worms were calling my name."

"Yeah, right." I say reaching into the bag and pulling out a gummy worm. I've only had these once. Peeta brought some home after a short trip to the gas station once. He said he was going to fill up his car, but instead he bought some gummy worms for me knowing I had never had them. I miss Peeta.

I reach over to grab more gummy worms, but my actions are interrupted by a nurse calling my name.

Finally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Trying something new, bear with me here.)

GROUP CHAT

(9:24 pm)

Madge- Guys! I saw Katniss today!

Gale- What? How was she?

Madge- She said she was sick. Something like that.

Annie- Poor thing! I hope she feels better. I miss her.

Finnick- Did you ask her if she wants a sugar cube?

Madge- Um no?! Thats your thing Finnick.

Peeta- WHAT?! Where was she? Is she okay? Was she with anybody?

(9:30 pm)

Peeta- MADGE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!

Madge- I saw her at the doctor. Yes she seemed fine. No, she was alone.

(Read 9:30 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KATNISS POV

Having no stitches feels great. However, I forgot about the big ugly scar that comes after stitches are removed. It's okay though. I'll just add another one to the ever growing list.

The conversation I had with Madge confused me. She said they all miss me, but who is the We she was taking about? Does it include Peeta? Maybe he texts them and still checks in on them often, though he is in a totally different district. I don't know. Wherever he is, I hope he is thinking about me, because I sure am thinking about him.

Hi.

Did you like that group chat thing? I thought It was best not to give away hints on what will happen in the next chapter, and any other setting would do that. sooo yeah!

shoutout to @thebreathofhope because she's cool and she brought this book from like 7 comments to 52 no joke lol.

Here's the picture of me for 1k:)

Its just one from my camera roll because its like 11:00 at night and yeah

I hope you like this chapter!

ALSO:

as some of you may have realized, this book is not chronologically correct. There are a couple of things I would like to correct so I will be will be working on that these next couple of days. When am finished, I will post an update with some of the bigger things I corrected. If you see that I keep updating, its just me editing.

thanks for reading!

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

22.1K 694 21
Peeta Mellark. Peeta is the schools popular. Everyone loves him. The boys want to be him and the girls want to be with him. He's very rich as his par...
53.6K 1.9K 16
*ALL CHARACTERS FROM THIS FANFICTION BELONG TO THE WONDERFUL SUZANNE COLLINS! THEY DO NOT BELONG TO ME! I AM NOT COPYWRITING I AM JUST WRITING MY TAK...
88.4K 1.7K 30
**This story takes place after the book, The Hunger Games** Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark come back from the Games,... Things ha...
149K 5.2K 36
This is a modern day hunger game fan fic. What of Katniss Everdeen and her family loved in a time when the rich like herself, looked down upon the po...