Freaks of Greenfield High

By MareeAnderson

When a teenage cyborg is forced to hide out at a small-town high school, the unthinkable happens: she falls i... More

Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 1)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 2)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 4)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 5)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 6)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 7)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 8)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 9)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 10)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 11)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 12)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 13)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 14)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 15)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 16)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 17)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 18)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 19)
Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 20)

Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 3)

119K 956 130
By MareeAnderson

Freaks of Greenfield High

By Maree Anderson

Chapter Three

Jay lay the scalpel on the table. She grabbed Tyler's shoulders, steadying him as he wobbled atop his stool. "Are you unwell?" she asked, gorgeous eyes all shiny with concern.

His stomach chose that exact moment to heave.

"Tyler? What is wrong?"

"Gumph!" he said, desperate to warn her that he was going to—

Shee-it. Amazing how much puke came from eating one little apple. Just kill me now. Please?

Tyler wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and seriously considered crawling under the desk and dying. Puking in Bio. How lame was that?

And puking on a girl? A thousand times lamer than fainting. He was never going to live this one down.

"God. Jay. I'm so—"

"Nice one!" Bettina didn't sound the slightest bit sorry about Jay being the up-chuck victim. She couldn't have planned it better if she'd actually bribed Tyler to humiliate her potential competition.

Shawn was nothing if not persistent. He materialized beside Jay like he was a mosquito and she was a plump juicy vein.

"Jeez, you poor thing. Look at the mess he's made of you." He leaned toward her, like he was going to brush her down, and then screwed up his face, clothes-pegging his nose with his fingers. But pinching your nostrils isn't a good look when you're trying to suck up to a hot girl. Shawn finally realized that, and removed his hand from his nose to stick it in the pocket of his jeans. Which meant the puke smell got to him again, and caused a repeat of the screwed up face.

Tyler might have found the whole thing highly amusing if he hadn't been the one who'd done the puking.

"I'll take you to the bathroom and help you clean up," Shawn pulled himself together enough to say. And the way he said it, all wink-wink nudge-nudge, let's you and me get to know each other better.

Tyler gritted his teeth so hard his jaw ached. Asshole was dating Tyler's sister, for crying out loud! It'd be worth the risk of getting expelled. Reeeally worth it.

He clenched his fist, pulled back his elbow and—

He didn't complete the lunge because Jay clamped her hands around his biceps and pushed him back onto his stool, trapping him. She had some impressive "use your opponent's strength against them" mojo going on.

She leaned in to whisper in his ear. "Calm down."

Over her shoulder, Tyler caught Shawn's "you wouldn't freaking dare!" expression and hot-cold-hot relief washed over him. Last thing his mom needed was a call from the principal's office. She'd wig out and ground him for the next ten years. Plus Tyler would be banned from coaching. And his team would hunt him down and kill him... slowly and painfully.

His trembling muscles abruptly relaxed, leaving his limbs noodle-limp. Jay released him, but before he could thank her for saving his butt, she'd waved a hand in the air and attracted Mr. Gilbert's gimlet eye.

"Back to your seat, Shawn," Mr. Gilbert said.

"But—"

"You're disrupting class. Carry on massacring your frog."

Unlike the other teachers, Mr. Gilbert didn't give a toss that Shawn's daddy was Snapperton's mayor, the self-proclaimed biggest fish in a small pond. Behind the teacher's back, Shawn flipped him off and slunk back to his stool.

Mr. Gilbert puffed up his chest, thrilled by this stellar opportunity to lecture the new student. "How can I help you, Jay? I'm not surprised you're having a bit of trouble, considering you came in after my preliminary talk."

He peered at the dissection tray and his eyebrows turned into bristled peaks of surprise. Leaning closer, he examined the frog's splayed remains. "Nice work! In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw such a neat dissec— Ungh! What is that smell?"

Shawn snickered.

Tyler didn't dare glance Shawn's way. That smartass smirk would only make him lose it again, and then Mr. Gilbert would have no choice but to send him to the principal's office. He fisted his hands at his sides. No way was he gonna let Shawn win. Not this time.

"I thought the takeout tasted strange," Jay said.

Tyler appreciated what she was trying to do but her acting skills were dismal. She didn't look the slightest bit like a girl who'd just tossed her cookies.

"Something you ate, eh?" Mr. Gilbert's sympathetic gaze drifted to Tyler, and doubtless those were recollections of Tyler's last fainting episode flitting across his face.

"I think it would be best if we got cleaned up now, Mr. Gilbert," Jay said, commanding the teacher's attention again. "Tyler can show me where the bathrooms are."

"Er, good idea." Mr. Gilbert made shooing motions. "Off you go, you two."

Jay grabbed her backpack and Tyler's, too. He snatched it from her grasp. He wasn't so far gone that he needed a girl to carry his stuff.

All eyes followed them as Jay hauled him from his seat, pulled his arm about her waist, and pretended to let him help her from the room. Tyler would normally have refused hers—or anyone's—assistance. Her efforts to shield him wouldn't make any difference once Shawn and Bettina shot their mouths off. But it was hard to give a crap about what a dork he'd made of himself with Jay's body pressed so tight against his.

She felt good there. Like she belonged. And then apple-puke smell wafted from her t-shirt and his stomach rebelled, making him want to heave again.

Jeez. Worst day ever.

Well, maybe not ever. The debacle of last year's Homecoming was right up there for sure.

The instant the classroom door clanged shut behind them, Jay laid one cool hand on the back of Tyler's neck.

His nausea abruptly receded. He pulled away from her, sucked in a deep breath and hoped he could keep it light. Because this girl was really doing his head in. The way she made him feel.... It would be real easy to fall hard for her. Too easy. And he didn't trust the power she had over him.

"Hey, sorry about your t-shirt," he said, keeping his voice light and friendly. "And thanks for bailing me out when I lost it back there. You must work out, huh? When you had a hold of my arms I could barely move."

"It is merely a t-shirt," Jay said. "I did not— I didn't think it in your best interests to allow you to take out your frustrations on Shawn, regardless of how irritating he might be. And I'm stronger than I look. How are you feeling now?"

"Duh. Like crap. How else would I be feeling when I just puked over the hot new chick?"

Embarrassment prickled down his spine. God! Had he really said that aloud?

His brain helpfully replayed his last words. Yep. He really had.

Jay gazed at him with those killer blue eyes. A ghost of a smile played on her lips. "I will take that as a compliment."

"You shouldn't have lied to Mr. Gilbert. Not for me."

The assessing look she hit him with made him squirm. "I didn't lie," she said. "The last thing I ate was a leftover takeout meal. And it did not taste as it should."

She was making it really easy to believe she liked him. Too easy.

A girl like Jay shouldn't want to hang with him—especially not now, after what he'd done to her. What the hell was her deal?

In Tyler's experience, girls who looked like Jay always had agendas. And even if she was on the level, when she had to deal with the crap the other kids were gonna give her for hanging with him, she'd soon give him the cold shoulder. Best get out before he got screwed over.

"Thanks for everything you tried to do," he said. And walked off without a backward glance, heading for the temporary sanctuary of the guys' bathroom.

~*~

Tyler gripped the edge of the sink and slumped, head hanging, staring at the scuffed linoleum floor, trying to ignore the stomach-churning odor of industrial disinfectant and the rank smell emanating from the urinals.

When he finally dared to look at his reflection in the age-spotted mirror, he winced.

Bad. Real bad. Face white as chalk, big dark smudges under his eyes. Could be worse, he supposed. Caro had caught a stomach bug last year, and thrown up so much she burst a blood vessel in her eye. At least he didn't look like some wannabe demon....

Aw, crap. Who was he trying to fool?  He didn't look demonic, but he sure did look like death warmed up—and not in a sparkly vamp who makes the girls swoon kinda way, either.

The zit on his chin throbbed and ached. Excellent. It was shaping up to be an abso-freaking-lutely huge one.

He'd rinsed out his mouth, and was reaching for a paper towel when someone appeared behind him. His pulse thrummed. It was Jay. And talk about stepping quietly—he hadn't even heard the door open.

She dropped her pack at her feet. "I am— I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

Tyler directed his gaze at her reflection, where it was safer. He gnawed on his thumbnail, trying to find the right way to break it to her. "Look. Don't take this the wrong way, 'kay? But you should make tracks. Last thing you need is to hang with me."

Jay yanked off her t-shirt and reached past him to drop it in the sink. "I need to get cleaned up before the next class."

He blinked. Oh. My. God.

His head felt light, skin all warm and tingly. So did his insides. He swallowed and clutched the edge of the sink, trying not to stare at her. Or notice the plain white bra she wore. "Uh, you're um, not supposed to be in here, you know? This is the guys' bathroom."

She nudged him aside with her hip so she could turn on the cold water and wash out her top. "Oh, so that's what the picture on the door is supposed to represent. I thought it meant this was the bathroom for people who happened to be wearing trousers."

Huh? Oh. Right. That dry sense of humor again.

"And you're, um, not," he managed to say.

"Not what?" She scrubbed at the puke stain.

"Not a guy." He licked suddenly dry lips. Sooo not a guy.

"That is a relief." She wrung excess water from her t-shirt. "I would not like to think I'd been laboring under a misapprehension all these years."

He frowned, not following. "Say again?"

"I'm female. I have all the correct parts—to my knowledge, anyway."

"Do you ever," he muttered, and then lost his train of thought completely. It was all that smooth, pale, very feminine bare skin frying his brain. Not that he was truly looking or anything. Just perving at her in the mirror. Which didn't count.

Did it?

Duh. Sure it did.

Jay put her hands behind her back... to the fastening of her bra.

"Stop right there!" He hunched his shoulders as his shout caromed around the bathroom, rebounding off the walls and ceiling until it seemed to be attacking him from all angles. And damned if the bad-guy part of him wasn't secretly regretful that she'd paused and was still clothed. Relatively speaking, of course.

Hey, he was only human.

He sucked in a deep, calming breath. Sort of. "What the effinghell do you think you're doing?"

"I would like to wash this bra," she said. "It smells of vomit, which I presume will be offensive to those I encounter throughout the day."

Lord, give me strength! Shawn would be having a field day with this girl right about now. But Tyler didn't get the sense she was deliberately using her feminine wiles to try and whip him into a lust-fueled male frenzy. She sounded matter-of-fact, like the consequences of stripping off in front of a guy—in the guys' bathroom—hadn't even occurred to her.

Hot and very, very, naïve. Not a good combo here at Greenfield High.

Tyler swallowed a few times before he could work up enough saliva to moisten his dry mouth, and speak actual words. "If you take off your bra, it, ah, won't look too good if someone walks in on us. Hell, it already doesn't look too good. Kids talk. Be all over the school in no time flat. You can wear my shirt. It'll be more, er, comfortable than your wet stuff."

Her gaze drifted from his face to the worn, checked flannel shirt he'd discovered shoved in back of his dad's closet. It was hardly the height of fashion. No surprise his dad had left it behind when he took off.

Jay cocked her head to one side. "Why would you give me your shirt?"

"You can't wear a wet t-shirt. People will get the wrong idea."

Silence.

She was staring at him, gauging his every reaction minutely. He didn't mind. He felt warm all over, like his own personal sun had just risen overhead.

"Thank you," she said. "I would appreciate your shirt. I do not— I don't wish to draw attention to myself."

"Yeah. Know the feeling." Tyler shucked the shirt and handed it to Jay, feeling strangely bare despite the faded "Toxic Hazard" t-shirt he still wore. "You wash, uh, whatever you have to wash. And I'll guard the door—make sure no one wanders in. But make it quick, okay? Our luck won't hold forever."

He turned his back and wedged his hip against the door. He heard the groan of faucets spewing water and the rip of paper towels being yanked from the dispenser. He closed his eyes against the temptation that was Jay, determined not to get all hot and bothered by images of her drool-worthy toned body. Or her pale, blemish-free skin, that didn't have a single freckle or mole that he could see. His thoughts skittered about like crazy things and finally centered on her face. Specifically, her mouth... and what it would be like to kiss her.

What would her lips feel like? Would they be cool and silky-smooth, like her skin?

Someone pushed on the door, yanking Tyler from his fantasies of locking lips and making out with Jay. He braced himself and leaned on it, blocking whoever it was from entering. "Get lost," he growled, and was relieved to hear the guy swear and head for the second floor bathroom.

"I'm done," Jay said, her voice so close to his ear that she had to be standing right behind him.

He turned. Thankfully, she was decent. So decent, in fact, she looked like a hick.

Oh boy. No way could he leave her to the tender mercies of the Greenfield High fashion police. "Uh, can I make a suggestion?"

"Of course."

"You need to undo a few of those top buttons."

"Why?"

"So you don't look so... so...."

He chewed his lip, searching for the right words. Epic fail. "Buttoned up," he finally said.

She processed that, nodded, and undid the top two buttons.

"One more," he said.

"Is that truly necessary?"

"Yeah." He waited for her to slip the button. "And maybe if you tie the shirttails at your waist."

"Show me."

He did, and hoped she didn't notice his hands shaking whenever he brushed the bare skin of her stomach.

"Better?"

"Oh yeah." It came out all hoarse and again he had to fight the flush that threatened to telegraph how much she affected him.

He cleared his throat and stepped back. "Much better. As Caro would say, now you're wearing the clothes, the clothes aren't wearing you. You're making a statement."

Jay balled up her wet clothes and sank to her haunches to shove them in a side pocket of her pack. "Caro is your sister, correct?"

Tyler had caught a flash of white amongst the bundle. He tore his mind away from the realization she was now braless. "Uh, yeah. Caro and Shawn are kind of an item."

She stared up at him, her head cocked to one side in that cute-as way she had. "Why do you feel compelled to tell me this?"

Why, indeed. Sheesh. He had to quit with this whole blushing thing. It was becoming a habit. "Because she's my sister. And I don't want her getting hurt if you make a play for Shawn, and he dumps her."

Jay straightened in one smooth, graceful movement, and lounged back against the sink, arms crossed over her chest, feet at the ankles. In direct contrast to Shawn's attempt this morning, Jay owned the pose.

"Is that the only reason?" she asked.

His breath hitched. Damn, she was hot.

And so obviously still waiting for his response. "Okay, okay. You got me. Shawn's a douche. And you deserve better."

"What makes you think I deserve better?"

He gazed past her, focusing on the graffitied stall doors, carefully choosing his words. "Look. I used to be one of Shawn's crew. And I was probably a supreme asshole, too. Just like him." He shrugged. "Goes with the territory. I even had a cheerleader girlfriend. I was a walking cliché until I caught her— Well, anyway. Bad stuff went down and Shawn was in on it. You don't want to get involved with him. In an ideal world, my sister wouldn't be involved with him, either. And believe me, you don't want to get caught in the crossfire if Caro finds out he's been hitting on you."

"You're concerned I might get hurt, too."

"Yeah."

"You don't know me. Why should my wellbeing concern you?"

Gah! Did the girl not understand guy-talking-to-hot-chick subtext? She was gonna make him come right out and say it.

But before he could make a complete dumbass of himself, Jay nodded slowly, like she'd finally understood what he was trying not to say.

Tyler sagged with relief, because once he admitted how he felt about her, there was no taking it back. And if he'd read her wrong, and she wasn't into him—wasn't doing anything more than being "nice" to a guy she felt sorry for—he'd be gutted.

When she didn't say anything more, he slanted her an assessing glance. But he couldn't tell what she was thinking at all—not the merest hint.

Weird.

Tyler had become pretty good at reading people's faces. It was a skill he'd perfected, a skill that helped him get by in this clichéd little corner of hell where the jocks and the cheer squad ruled. He knew how to get by without a bunch of peeps to watch his back. He knew when he could get away with mouthing off. Just like he knew when to shut up, suck it up and do a disappearing act. He had it down to a fine art.

The silence stretched.

Tyler's hopes wound tight, strangling him. What was he thinking, falling for a girl he'd just met?

Jeez. He was a dumbass. He'd played right into her hands. Any moment now, she'd slink back to Shawn and this whole pathetic little episode would be all over school.

Except she stayed right where she was, her whole focus on him.

There was a light in her eyes that made his gut clench—in a good way. When he inhaled, she was standing so very close that her scent curled through him. His eyelids drifted closed.... And then, layered beneath her fresh, clean smell was something indefinable, something that made his heart clamor. The merest hint of strangeness.

Tyler's eyelids popped open. His gaze locked on hers.

Those remarkable eyes held his, unblinking. Unwavering.

He saw it then, got the feeling she deliberately let him see it. Jay had secrets. Like Tyler did. And he didn't move at all, not a muscle, as she rose up on tiptoes to press her lips against his.

Jay's kiss was excruciatingly gentle, a butterfly kiss, the merest brush of her lips against his before she backed off and considered him through narrowed eyes.

"What's wrong?" he whispered.

"That must be painful." She pressed the pad of her finger to her lips and then stroked it lightly across the spot on his chin.

She was gone as quickly and noiselessly as she'd come, leaving Tyler's face glowing from her attentions. And his heart aglow with something else—something he'd never felt for a girl before. Something more than just a little scary.

~*~

Copyright 2011 Maree Anderson

www.mareeanderson.com

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Super Blogger By UC

Science Fiction

1.7K 276 35
Love, Crime, Action! When the world's richest blogger is secretly the world's only superhero... you'd think he couldn't have it any better. But throw...
497K 16.9K 43
γ€Š Highest Ranking: #5 in Vampire 》 "Is that Marcus? Marcus as in, from our High School Marcus!" Casey squeaked. I spun around, not quite believing h...
1.4M 58K 55
UNEDITED After violating campus rules and committing student misconduct, twenty-three-year-old Warren Ashford is deep trouble and at risk of losing h...
1.9M 55K 31
[HIGHEST RANKING #1 IN FALLINGINLOVE] It wasn't ever supposed to happen like it did. It wasn't supposed to happen at all... Katarina Rhodes was just...