Wally (#wattys2016)

Door escapism-

a cliche love story between the school's biggest nerd and the school's most beloved princess. lovely cover b... Meer

before
i. the 38th parallel
ii. the invitation

iii. the night to never forget

276 18 9
Door escapism-

"Come on, Miles, we have to go." I begged over the phone as I collapsed on the bed. We've been on the phone arguing about the party for hours now, we were both getting tired of the topic. However, we were both also very stubborn so the conversation could go all through the night. Oh boy.

"No, Wally, you just want to go because Jane Donovan invited you." Miles countered followed by a restless sigh. I swore I heard him roll his eyes.

"But, Miles! Jane Donovan invited me, invited us!" I exclaimed, throwing my free hand up in the air as if he could see just how serious and excited I was. "Please, Miles, it'll be fun."

"No, Wally, you were right earlier. Andy McPher--"

"He won't know, right? You were right earlier, Miles. He can't keep track of everyone who goes to the party and he'll probably be drunk off his ass to even know we're there." I said, resigning to the bed as I let out a deep sigh. "Please, Miles. I'll help you get a date with Marie Her ... and I'm pretty sure she'll be at the party, too."

Miles was silent.

"We'll be helping each other out. You will be going to the party with me and I'll be able to see Jane Donovan. And I will set you up on a date with Marie Her, the girl of your dreams." I explained with a smirk. Marie Her is a pretty, charismatic Korean girl who just moved here from California. She's my Chemistry lab partner and she's chill. We're good friends and Miles is completely interested in her. Marie Her is his Jane Donovan.

Miles finally sighed and he took in a deep breath then said, "Okay, you win." He breathed out and I could tell he was situating himself on his bed. "We'll go to the damn party, Wallace Dennis."

"Yes, thank you, Miles Miller! You are the best, I love you, man!" I yelled into the phone, thrusting my fist up in the air as a sign of victory.

"See you tomorrow, Wally." Miles hung up.

I grinned and tossed my phone onto my bedside table. "Yes!" I exclaimed with joy, jumping back onto my bed with probably the most idiotic grin on my face. But I didn't care. Jane Donovan asked me to come to the party. She, of all people, asked me. Tomorrow was going to be a good day. Nothing could ruin it because I'm going to a party to see Jane Donovan.

---

The day couldn't have gone any faster. It was just a normal day like any other day. I went to class, ate lunch with Miles, and stayed in the library until the traffic died down outside in the student parking lot. Huh, but one thing was missing.

"Hey, don't you think today was a little quiet today?" Miles asked as he tossed his backpack into the car.

"What do you mean?" I asked, climbing into the passenger seat.

Miles got in the car and turned on his engine. "It's just ... today was so quiet and nice. Andy McPherson didn't bother us once today. I'm pretty sure I made eye contact with that kid during lunch and nothing." He said with furrowed brows, worry crowding his handsome face.

"Miles, relax. Today was simply just a ... good day." I said, waving my hand in the air with a scoff. "It's nothing. I'm just thankful nothing happened today."

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm just as happy as you are. Something just doesn't feel right." Miles always worried too much.

I shook my head and punched his arm lightly. "Bro, chill. Nothing is wrong. Maybe you're nervous because this is our first party tonight but I promise everything is okay!"

Miles cracked a grin before nodding and saying, "You're right, Wally. Okay, are you ready to have the best night of our lives in just a few hours?"

I nodded and laughed. "Of course, it's going to be a night to never forget, man!"

Oh, it was definitely going to be a night to never forget, ever.

---

Things were going wrong. First, I got locked out of my own house because my own mother forgot to give me back my house key from a few days ago. It didn't help much that the treacherous woman I call my mother changed the code to the garage door. But it was fine because I could simply go over to Miles' place. But when we got there, Miles' father, Ben, needed the car and took it before we had the chance to open our mouths.

And now it is seven thirty nine p.m. and we have no means of transportation to that party. Well, there is one, but we really don't want to take that one.

"Wally, we have to do it." Miles stated after a defeated sigh.

"No,"

"Wally--"

"We find another way!" I shouted in denial.

"What? You want us to walk there? Wally, that's impossible."

I sighed and stared at the ground. "Miles, I really don't want to."

"Well, do you want to go to that party? It's going to start soon." Miles said and checked his clock. "It's going to start in exactly seventeen minutes, Wally."

"Do we not have any other way?"

"Nope,"

"I don't want to."

"Well, I don't care. You decide, Wally. If we go, we go and if we don't, we don't." Miles stubbornly stated, falling back into his seat with his arms crossed across his chest. He was wearing that face that he always does whenever he knows he's right and I'm wrong. He wears it a lot.

I rolled my eyes and sighed deeply. "Okay, fine!"

"Great,"

"I hate you."

"Whatever, call him."

I drew out a shaky breath as I hit the call button. Beep. Beep. Beep. Bee--

"Wally?" A shaky voice asked from the other line.

I clenched my jaw and forced a smile on my face. "Hey, Arnie, buddy ..."

---

"I'm surprised you guys called," Arnie spoke rapidly as he laughed obnoxiously. "That was my first phone call from you, Wally! I was so surprised you called, but boy am I glad you did!"

I inwardly groaned and glared at Miles who looked uncomfortable. Serves him right.

"Ha, Arnie, thanks for picking us up." Miles clapped Arnie's back with a forced grin stitched upon his lips.

"No problems, guys! We're all friends, this is what we do!" Arnie happily stated with a wide grin. Man, I don't think I've ever seen him this happy ... makes me feel bad.

"So, Arnie, what've you been up to?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

"Nothing much, I got into a fight with Garrett and now it's just been awkward with the whole gang." He explained, taking a quick glance my way. "Wally, it's been awhile since you've come over to hang out the gang."

I sighed, avoiding eye contact. "Sorry, Arnie, I've just been really busy with ... stuff. Uhm, but I'm sorry about you and Garrett. What happened?"

"He got the math calculations wrong to a problem we tried to solve last Friday and now he won't talk to me because I was right and he was wrong. But he's too stubborn and now he won't talk to me. You guys get it, right?"

Miles and I locked eyes and we both knew in that moment that we wanted to jump out of the car. But we forced a laugh and nodded. "Of course, we do, Arnie." Miles said as he punched my arm roughly. "Wally and I do that all the time - most of the times, I'm right."

I rubbed my arm and turned towards the window to silently mouth a small ow! before turning to Arnie. "So, how far are we?"

"Five minutes away,"

"Thank god," Miles muttered as he leaned back in his seat.

"What?" Arnie asked, checking through the rear-view mirror to see a relieved Miles.

Miles locked eyes with Arnie through the mirror and sat up, shaking his head. "Nothing, Arnie. Did you get a haircut?" He asked, changing the subject.

"Actually, yes I did. Wow, Miles, you're very perceptive. Thank you,"

Miles nodded and stared over at me. "No problem, buddy."

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window, counting down the seconds until we could get out of this car.

---

It was the longest five minutes of my life but we arrived safely. And it was awesome. The second we stepped out of the car, the smell of alcohol drenched the whole place and man was it exciting. "We're here, Miles."

Miles grinned at the sight of crazy, intoxicated teens running around the wide clearing with drinks in one hand and who knows what in the other. "Let's go,"

Arnie locked his car and hooked his arms around both our shoulders and grinned. "Let's go, gang!"

"Ha, right." I stated with a weak grin.

We walked through the rough crowds and (thankfully) Arnie left almost immediately when he saw his other friends. "I thought he'd never leave," Miles said as he brushed his shoulders off, fixing his jacket as he scanned the place. "We're here, Wally. We're actually at a party,"

I laughed and clapped his back excitedly. "Here, let's go get some drinks!"

"Stay here, I'll get some for us." Miles said, walking towards a table full of drinks.

I nodded and looked around, hoping to catch sight of Jane. But I could barely see through the rowdy crowd. I glanced over at Miles who was walking over with our drinks.

"Here," Miles handed me a cup with a grin. "Hey, look who it is," He said, cocking his head over to the left.

"Wally!" I heard someone shout my name through the crowd.

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned to the side to see Jane waving over at me. My face immediately brightened up - maybe too much - but I didn't care. "Hey!" I shouted, waving back at her. She smiled back and began to walk over towards me.

"Don't look too happy," Miles warned me playfully as he took a sip of his drink.

I guess I was blinded by sheer happiness because I almost didn't notice Andy McPherson walking right up to me with a wicked smirk on his face.

"Guys, you made it." Andy stated with a laugh as gave Miles and me a hearty slap on the back. "I was afraid you guys wouldn't be able to make it!"

I awkwardly smiled back as I nodded. "Yeah, we made it."

"I'm glad you did, man." Andy chuckled again and passed his drink over to his friend. "I have a big surprise for you,"

"Surprise?" Miles asked, cocking up an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked, looking over Andy's shoulder to see Jane watching us with worried eyes. What was--

Before I knew it, Miles and I were covered in trash and who knows what. But one thing was for sure: this was all just a practical joke. We heard a scream from a few feet away and saw Andy's friends throwing a big bucket full of whatever the hell we got over Arnie. Unbelievable.

Andy's sickening laugh ripped across the whole clearing and just like wildfire, everyone pointed and laughed. "You losers actually thought you would be invited to this party!" He screamed with another laugh.

Miles wiped away the foreign liquid dripping down his face and threw the banana peel off his shoulder with disgust. I drew out a deep sigh as I tried to shake off the trash off myself. Arnie was screaming and crying. And everyone else was laughing at us. We were the butt of the joke, huh.

Jane Donovan ran over and shoved Andy's shoulder roughly. "What the hell are you doing?" She shouted as she looked over at me with apologetic eyes.

"Babe, calm down, it's just a joke." Andy said as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"You're a pig, Andy." Jane pushed him away, trying to walk over towards us but Andy held her back.

"Jane, stop trying to act innocent in all this. You're the one who invited them, you knew what was going to happen." Andy stated, pulling her back by her wrist.

Jane's eyes widened as she shook her head. "N, no, I didn't!" She exclaimed and turned to look at me. "Wally, no, I didn't know--"

"Thanks for having us," I finally said with an incredulous scoff. "Joke's on us, huh."

"We're glad you know your place, Dennis." Andy stated, hanging his arm around Jane's shoulder.

"No, get off of me." Jane pushed him and walked over to me. "Wally, I'm so sorry, I didn't know this would happen--"

"No, I get it. Thanks for inviting us," I told her and looked over at Miles who looked just about ready to punch Andy McPherson.

"No, Wally, wait --" Jane placed her hand on my arm but my body instinctively stepped away from her touch.

"We'll be leaving now." I stated, placing my hand on Miles' shoulder. "Let's get out of here,"

"Yeah, you know where to go," Andy sneered as he turned around.

Miles clenched his jaw as he angrily glared at Andy. "No, Wally! I'm done with this shit treatment!" He pushed me off and took off his jacket, keeping his eye on Andy. "Hey, shitface!" He shouted, throwing his jacket at Andy. Oh no.

The tall, blond giant scoffed and turned back around with a look of surprise. "Excuse me?"

Miles hesitated at first but straightened his back and walked up to Andy, clocking him right in the cheek. Everyone paused and silently watched with mouths wide open.

Oh, shit.

Jane gasped and backed away, her eyes wide as she stared at Miles in shock.

"Miles," My voice barely came out.

"That's my surprise for you, McPherson." Miles stated sternly as he quickly turned back around, ready to leave this place.

"Miller, you're dead meat!" Andy roared as he got up, grabbing Miles and socking him right back - twice as hard.

"Oh, no." I breathed out and sighed, rolling my fingers into a fist. "Oh, what the hell. Hey, that's my friend, you jackass!" I shouted and ran towards my death.

Andy's friends came to the rescue and honestly, everything gets blurry after that. I got to throw some punches here and there but who counts those things, right? The last thing I remember is Jane Donovan staring down at me ... then everything went black.

It was truly a night to never forget.

I wish I could forget, dear God.

---

Hello my lovely readers! Wow, I'm so terrible at updating any of my stories. I'm so terribly sorry but I honestly haven't been feeling a lot of inspo with any of my stories - it's a problem. But today, for the first time I felt inspired to write this chapter (hallelujah). It's not the best but I really wanted to finally post a chapter and also, I received an amazing blend from @imploded and I really wanted to use it asap! But life got in the way with work and moving houses and etc but I finally wrote it! Yay, I hope you enjoyed :)

-Annie

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...