The Phoenix: Born Of Ash

By ThePhoenix_BOA

Although the lands of Aeros were torn apart over a hundred years ago, a great scar still divides the people w... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Fourteen

39 7 3
By ThePhoenix_BOA

"I had no idea she was told to take it easy." Carder explained as he defended himself to Doctor Underhill. He rubbed his temple as he paced back and forth, looking at Allaria tipping her nose back, sitting in the barracks infirmary.

Underhill buzzed around her like a bee would a flower, "Why can't you listen Allaria?" he asked as he flashed lights in her eyes, watching her pupils dilate, "I had to rush all the way down here." Allaria went to put her head down and face him so she could apologize but he tipped it back up, "Don't move." he muttered, and turned to Carder, "Take her up to her room and put her to bed; make sure she gets some sleep."

Allaria rolled her eyes, "You know I can't sleep and come on I don't need to go to bed." she protested.

Underhill pulled a vial containing shimmering crystals out of his pocket and handed them to her, "Don't fight me on this Allaria." he ordered, then shook the contents of the vial, the crystals clicking on the glass cage, "Your mother had me make these for you a couple days ago," Allaria grabbed the vial and looked them over; giving him a perplexed look, "put them in you tea and drink it before you sleep; you'll wake up in the morning fresh as a daisy."

Allaria laughed and put the vial in her pocket, "We'll see about that."

Underhill smiled, "These will work." and turned to Carder, "Can I have a moment alone with my patient?"

Carder looked up, his expression more caught off guard then surprised; Allaria imagined he was off on some train of thought, "Yes of course," he gestured to the part in the tent's door, "I'll be waiting outside."

Allaria watched as he left, the tarp swishing behind him.

Underhill squatted in front of her and sighed, "Allaria, I wanted to tell you I'm sorry about all of this." he explained and Allaria shook her head with a smile but winced as shooting pain went up her head and down her neck. Underhill put a hand on the side of her face, watching her eyes attentively, "Careful."

"Sorry." Allaria rubbed her head, giggling a little bit, "You have nothing to be sorry for... I'm not." she paused and looked at her hands, "I did what I had to. I couldn't stand by and let that innocent girl..." she stopped herself as she realized she was trailing off, "I did what I had to." She said firmly.

He stood up and walked away, turning to face the slit in the tent door, looking up to the sky, his salt and pepper hair catching in the light, "You should be proud." he told her, his hand tracing the tent crease as he looked to see who was around. He turned to Allaria and quickly made his way back over to her and spoke in hushed tones, "I heard what they're doing," he sighed, "It's not right."

Allaria shook her head and chuckled, "You'll be fine... you don't just rely on my business of late night scraps and cuts do you?" she asked, trying to put a positive spin on her predicament. She liked Underhill; he was just old enough to be wise but young enough to understand.

He chuckled, "I suppose not..." he shook his head, "Did you ever wonder why I've stitched you up all these nights and kept it secret?" he asked, leaning over to face her again, his hand gently stroking her head as she shook it, "Because I admire what you do... the slums lost a great champion today." Allaria blushed and turned away but he guided her face back to him, "Whatever they tell you, just know you've done a great job and you've made your namesake proud."

Allaria's eyes glazed over and started to swell with tears but she shut them down, sitting up straight with great pride and said, "Thank you... that means more than you'll ever know."

He smiled and ruffled her hair, "I'll call him back in?" he asked as he helped her up and she nodded, grimacing as she stood up, cradling her bruised stomach, "Can you promise me you'll go to your room and take a nap because I need to give your brother a lashing and I can't see you do it personally?"

Underhill watched her as she considered her options, "Yeah sure but I have a couple people I want to see first." then she looked down for a second and then back up, her face strained, "Can I ask you a question?" her voice broke slightly as she remembered the fight she had with Carder and the odd experience she'd had.

"Of course." he said, sitting down beside her on the stretcher.

Allaria rubbed her temple, trying to find the words, "During my fight with Carder... everything seemed to just slow down." she tried to say but couldn't, the words coming and going, lost in the air.

"Carder told me when you were unconscious; told me you fought better than any man he'd ever seen," he laid a hand on her shoulder, "powerful emotions can be powerful motivators... it makes us see things differently." He put his hands back in his lap, folding them neatly, "I wouldn't afford it further thought."

Allaria looked up at him, her eyes lost and he could see the layers of fear behind them, "Ok." she muttered.

He rubbed her back gently, "Take the crystals and go to sleep. I've been working on that recipe on and off for years and your mother delivered the last piece to the puzzle a couple weeks ago. Just take it and go to bed. I promise everything will be clear in the morning; the sun sheds light on all after all."

A smile crept across her lips, "Yeah but I literally just got up," she chuckled.

Underhill smiled, "Then just take a nap."

"Thanks Doc... for everything." she said and kissed him gently on the cheek before heading out of the tent.

As she left the tent her brother patted her on the back and followed Underhill's evil eye into his lair. Allaria could hear the yelling as she walked away. If her head wasn't still throbbing it might have made her smile a little just to see him taken down a peg but she had bigger fish to fry.

But before she could address all of that she wanted to go see her other brother Nathaniel at the smithy. As Allaria made her way through the barracks, she noticed all the eyes on her which made her skin itchy. Rather than show her discomfort, she showed her strength and blazed on.

The clinking sounds of metal hammers meeting steal filled the air with its cacophony as she approached the smithy. The smithy always had a distinct odor to it of smoke and iron, along with the ashen smell of a roaring fire fueled by small mountains of charcoal.

As she approached she made a distinct effort not to alert Nathaniel. A cringe rolled through her stomach as she remembered the last time she startled him when he was working and he brought his hammer down on his thumb.

Nathaniel stood tall and sturdy, his strength clearly defined in his tree trunk arms. Under the wooden enclosure, he tended to his fire, stoking it with a poker. Thick leather gloves covered his strong, sausage like fingers and plate size hands.

He removed his gloves with a practiced motion and wiped his sweaty forehead with the back of his hand. The action smeared ash and dirt over his furrowed brow but it added to his rustic charm. He looked across his workstation and spotted Allaria.

His eyes almost seemed to glow as he spotted his twin sister, "Little sister!" he called out and laid his gloves down on a nearby table and untied his large leather apron.

Allaria waited until she had closed the distance between them and chuckled, "Little sister?"

Nathaniel shrugged and bit into an apple he had in his lunch box next to his apron and gloves, "Every second counts." he snickered with his mouth full, although the sight didn't bother Allaria; she had grown up with boys after all.

As Allaria got closer to him, the ashen smell of the smithy was more potent than before and almost burned in her nostrils, "Whatever helps you sleep at night, Nate." she smirked, punching him in the shoulder. Her fist looked like a pea compared to a banana to his blacksmith's arms.

Nathaniel swallowed his mouthful of apple and put the rest back in his metal box, turning to Allaria with shimmering eyes, "Ha!" he roared, patting her on the shoulder.

Allaria grinned in return but that faded away when she saw a shift in Nathaniel's face. He batted his thick eyelashes not in a flirtatious manner but a nervous one. Allaria noticed his eyes darting around as well and the way he started to pick away at the tough calluses on the palms of his hands.

Allaria reached out and grabbed his hands, keeping him from inflicting any further damage with his nervous tick, "What's itching you Nate?" Allaria asked, her eyes searching his matching brilliant blue eyes.

Nate looked around and whispered in Allaria's ear, "I've heard."

Allaria released her hold on his hands and shoved them in her pockets, attempting to appear casual, "Heard what?" she asked.

Nathaniel rolled his eyes and grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into the smithy, past all the fires, tools, and other blacksmiths to the back room where they kept the charcoal for the fire. When he shut the door behind them he pulled her into a hug so tight it felt like her ribs were going to crack.

"You're killing me." Allaria squeaked, her face turning red.

Allaria squirmed as his thick, scruffy beard tickled the top of her forehead. Her face had been smashed into his collarbone and chest and although Nathaniel was attempting to console her by stroking the back of her head, his massive hands and raw strength created a more mulling than comforting effect.

Nathaniel continued to hold her, not letting go, "I'm so sorry Allaria." he cried, his tears trailing down his strong jaw line and getting lost in his beard but Allaria could start to feel them make their way down the hair follicles and lick at her forehead like a dogs tongue.

"Then let me go." Allaria begged, knowing that he was talking about her new living situation and not the tight hug but she wanted him to let her go none the less.

"I'll never let you go!" he yelled, squeezing her tighter but when Allaria winced he realized what she had meant and quickly let her go, "You meant let you out of the hug didn't you." he said as he watch the red leave her cheeks and her natural colour return.

Allaria allowed herself a deep breath and leaned against the side of the room, her vision momentarily doubling but she shook it off, "Yeah Nate, you don't know your own strength," she stood up on her tiptoes and blew in his face, sending his bangs a flutter, "You sure you wouldn't rather swing a sword then make them?"

Nathaniel sputtered as he corrected his bangs, setting them back to their slightly unflattering position dab smack on his forehead and crossed his arms over his chest, "Stop changing the subject." He demanded, his expression hardening.

Allaria sighed and rubbed her temple, "You're real pushy you know that?" she asked, trying to hide her discomfort; maybe coming to see Nathaniel wasn't such a great idea.

Nathaniel stepped back and leaned his back against the wall, "I'm sorry," he paused, looking down at his big steel-toed boots, "I just know I'm going to miss you something fierce." he explained, forcing a smile but his wounded eyes betrayed him.

Allaria leaned in and kissed him on the cheek, "I'm gonna miss you too big brother." She said, emphasizing 'big brother' with a poke in his stomach.

Nathaniel giggled, "Although, it might be funny to see you in a dress again. Watching you try and walk around in heels is always good fun..." he said with a smile but the tears started to fall down his face again which he quickly wiped away, "But I'm not going to get to see you." His voice cracked, "You'll be gone."

Allaria sighed, "I know Nate, it's not going to be ideal but maybe I'll be able to come home and visit?"

Nathaniel grabbed hold of the little bit of hope she was feeding him and squeezed it tight, "Yeah, maybe." he agreed, again forcing a betraying smile and then a wave of clarity and bitter realization washed over him. "You came here to be comforted, not to comfort didn't you." he realized and slapped the heel of his palm to his forehead and then dragged it down his face, pulling at his lips.

Allaria blushed and rubbed her neck, "Kinda." she agreed, laughing. "But I don't mind... It's nice to know people care, to be honest."

Nathaniel's forehead wrinkled with shock, "Did you think people didn't?" he asked and Allaria nodded meekly. Nathaniel grunted, "Allaria, Orlanio will never be the same without you; this is a true loss for our family and the people." he explained, his eyes lighting up again, realizing now he could help lighten her heavy heart.

Allaria felt the warmth of his words wrapping her up in a kind embrace, "Thanks Nathaniel, I knew I could count on you." she told him.

"I try." he agreed with a cheeky grin contrasting with his bloodshot, tear-filled eyes.

Allaria took a deep breath and asked him the question she had come to ask. "What should I do?"

Nathaniel cocked his eyebrow, the question catching him off guard, "What do you mean?"

"Gauwyn." Allaria explained, "What should I do about Gauwyn?"

Nathaniel made a whistling noise, "That's a tough one." he agreed and scratched his scruffy beard, "I think only you can answer that."

Allaria grunted, "Thanks." she said sarcastically and reached for the door.

Nathaniel reached out and grabbed her hand above the wrist and pulled her back, "Allaria come on, you know you can't run, you can't hide, you have to go. The only question is whether you take him with you or not. Gauwyn told me about Caden's deal. He might consider it Allaria but you have to ask yourself if that's what you want for him." he sighed and caressed the side of her face, "Remember, you were childhood friends before you decided to let him into your heart the way he wanted to be. Perhaps the former was all it ever should have been." He searched her eyes and saw the hurt in them but he knew what needed to be said, "You can't save yourself Allaria but you can still save him."

The words hit her like a tidal wave, "You're right. Thanks, Nathaniel." she agreed and brushed him away, flying out of the smithy to go see Gauwyn.

Nathaniel stood stunned and watched his sister leave, "You're welcome." he said but with more of an air of question. Perhaps what he said had gotten through to her.

She now ran with purpose, Nathaniel's words giving her the answer she finally needed and may have even known all along. This being said, just because you know what the right thing to do is doesn't make doing it any easier. Allaria knew this well and could feel the weight of her heavy news weighing her heart down once again as she made her way to Gauwyn.   

Poor Allaria has some choices to make! What will she do? Thanks for reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291 98 42
Lady Emilea has only ever wanted to be accomplished like her siblings. Yet, no matter how much she studies politics and trains with the bow, she is l...
5.5K 1.2K 55
It all started as a little spark in her chest, and then it grew and ignited her whole being with an outburst of emotion. Before she could recollect h...
66.8K 6K 67
Book 2 #19 in Fantasy #8 in action-packed #27 in dark magic #28 in fantasy-adventure Everything Celestia Armedes has ever come to know is crumbling t...
226 32 14
This is the 1st half of the EVERMORE Prequels. Check out the 2nd half EVERMORE: Talindra's Chronicles, on my profile now! In the ancient realm of Eve...