My Second Chance Mate

By kauigirl

Harmony Evans was a born werewolf who dreamed of one thing, meeting her mate. The male wolf made just for her... More

Rejected But Moving On
New School, New Friends, New Guy
Seriously, Shoot Me Now
Reasons Revealed
Comfort Of A Wolf
Best Intentions, Worst Outcome
Sudden Clarity
Plot Twist
Free Goodies for Team HarmVor (Harmony/Trevor)
Get this book for free (limited time only)!
Last day to get the free book!
In 3, 2, 1
Tomorrow
We're live!

Sucker Punch to The Gut

645K 13.9K 2.8K
By kauigirl

Harmony

We travel along gravel road surrounded by trees, they look eerily similar to the kind you see in scary movies right before the killers jump out and stop the car. Is that a premonition of things to come? Am I headed to my doom? I am probably acting a bit dramatic but with the way things were going what else should I expect but more craziness?

After about a twenty minute drive, we finally arrive at a huge house. It has two levels with a wrap around porch. A pathway lined with flowers of all colors leads the way to the front steps. There are more flowers surrounding the house but the feature that quickly catches my attention is a little white gazebo set off to the side. It's beautiful and the last thing I expect to see at a house belonging to Trevor.

"It was my mother's dream to surround her home with a garden. So when my father set out to find our pack house he bought this one with her in mind, knowing she would have an endless amount of space to do what she wanted. This is what she came up with." Trevor says raising his arms to indicate the garden.

"She did a beautiful job." I acknowledge.

He opens his door and gets out but before he can get to my side I unbuckle my seat belt and jump out.

"You could have waited for me to help you." he complains.

"I'm not helpless, I like to do things for myself without relying on anyone else. If you remember nothing about me after this day, at least remember that." with that said I march towards his front door. The sooner we get this awkward moment over with the better.

He follows behind me and when we reach the steps the door opens revealing three half dressed males. My jaw drops and I'm pretty sure I have drool dripping down the side of my mouth. Ever buy a male clothing catalogue just to stare at the models? Well, I have, and the three males in front of me could have come straight off the pages of that catalogue.

They were obviously related in some way to Trevor because they share the same chocolate brown hair, build, and bone structure. The only difference is their eyes which were mixed shades of green and hazel. They have great bodies with enough six packs to give me a good buzz and nice long, muscular, toned legs. I can't see their backsides since they're facing me, but I'm pretty sure it's just as great as the front. Maybe I can find some way to make them turn....

A growl from my left startles me from my thoughts as I turn to look at Trevor with a sheepish smile on my face. Did he catch me checking them out? By the glow in his eyes I can assume so, but if he noticed, that must mean...YUP! BUSTED!

Three sets of eyes are studying me with identical smirks on their faces. I feel myself blush as another growl comes from my side. This causes the guys smirks to drop as they face their Alpha.

Silent words must be exchanged because they stare at each other for a few seconds before their confused looks turn understanding as a fourth male makes his way onto the porch.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't big and bulky. So how's the shin? Did you ice it yet?" I taunt.

He's about to say something when Trevor stops him. "Austin, are you guys ready to patrol?"

So that was his name...he seems more like a Vince or Tony, a rugged name, not something so...sweet. His mom obviously got the name wrong. My thoughts must show on my face because Austin shoots me a dirty look before answering Trevor. "Yes, we were just on our way but we had a few things to go over with you first."

"Yeah, sure. Harmony, why don't you wait for me in the family room while I take care of pack matters. It's straight in and to your right, you can't miss it." Trevor directs me.

Shooting the delicious specimens on the porch one last glance I nod and do as he suggests.

The inside of the house is just as beautiful as the outside and surprisingly clean for a bunch of young guys. Their mama's raised them right that's for sure. I reach the family room and one word comes to mind. BIG! Big couches, coffee table, end tables, matching recliners, and lamps in warm earth tones. I guess it makes sense being that they are all huge guys well over 6 ft and full of muscles.

As I scan the room, a picture on one of the tables peaks my interest. It's of a smiling Trevor. I pick it up and am right about a full blown smile of his being devastating. My breathing hitches just seeing it, but it's the other person in the picture that stops my breath all together.

She's a pretty blonde with gray eyes and a happy smile on her face. They are both sitting under a tree with her between his legs while he holds her as they smile at the camera.

They look so perfect together.

Is this why he brought me here? To have me meet the reason why he was rejecting me. Did he, like Aiden, already find someone to love?

"She's pretty isn't she?" I'm startled from my thoughts by a tiny voice, almost dropping the picture in the process. I return the picture to it's spot and face the source of the voice. It's a boy about the age of five who looks like a male replica of the woman in the picture.

"Yes, she's very pretty." I reply. "Who is she?" I can't resist asking.

"My mommy." he answers.

Sucker punch to the gut.

Not only does Trevor have someone he loves, but he also has a family. I feel as if my feet were kicked out from under me, like there's no solid ground to stand on. The world starts to tilt and I begin to fall. Two strong arms catch me before I hit the floor, and the last thing I remember seeing are two chocolate eyes looking at me with concern before the blackness takes over.

Trevor

"Trevor, there were some signs of Rogues in the northern section of our territory the last time we patrolled but the scent wasn't very strong so we'll start there and work our way back to make sure they haven't returned." Austin informs me.

"Alright, let me know if you find anything." I order.

I sense the question in all of their minds but they respect me too much to ask. They know what I've been through these past five years and didn't want to bring up any bad memories, but they are my best friend and cousins so they deserve an explanation.

"She's my mate, or so it seems. The signs are all there, her intoxicating scent, the sparks when we touch, my need to protect her and make sure no other male touches or even speaks to her." I share with them.

"But how is that possible?" my cousin Jeremy asks.

"I think I may have an idea but I need to look more into it to know for sure." I reply.

"But Sarah..." at the mention of her name from Jeremy's brother Greg everyone stiffens.

"Harmony doesn't know about that." I state firmly. "That's why I brought her here. To make her understand why I can't be with her."

"You're going to reject her?" Austin asks incredulously.

"I already kind of did. Now I just need her to understand why so she doesn't fight it, although according to what she said to me earlier I don't think she's planning to." I say still confused about her attitude towards this. She mentioned having a mate and being rejected. Her first mate must be an idiot to reject someone as amazing as her. I'm no better but I have my reasons.

Not wanting to waste anymore time on the chance Harmony might change her mind and run off, I remind them to be careful and send them on their way. As they leave, my closest cousin of the three, Craig, pauses and I can tell he's got something to say to me.

"Have you thought this through completely Trevor, I mean, you just found out. Are you sure you're doing the right thing?" He asks, his voice laced with concern.

"I'm sure. I never want to go through that again. My life is fine the way it is, she'll just mess that up." I inform him.

"Or she may bring back the man you used to be. She's your second ch-" I cut him off before he can finish. I know what he was going to say and I don't want to hear it.

"No, I will not accept her. You should hurry to catch up with the rest of the guys." I order putting some of my Alpha power behind my words.

He gives me one last worried look before running off to join the others.

None of them understand, they didn't have to deal with the things I have. Heck, none of them have even found their mates yet. I know I'm doing the right thing no matter how much my wolf is against it. I just can't have a repeat of what happened before. Especially not with Harmony. She's beautiful and warm even though there's a deep sadness within her. Being tied to me will only hurt her more. I'm damaged goods. I won't be able to give her the love she needs no matter how much I want to.

Shaking myself of those thoughts, I make my way inside and head towards the family room. I see Cody behind the couch facing Harmony and just as he says, "My mommy." she starts to fall.

I get to her quick as lighting, thanks to my wolf speed, and catch her before she hits the ground. Her pain filled eyes look into mine for a moment before they shut and she faints.

"Is she ok uncle Trevor? Did she have too many of those brown bottles that uncle Jeremy drinks? Cause the last time he fell down like that uncle Greg said he was drunk off his a-"

"Cody Scott Tanner if you finish that sentence you won't play your xbox for a whole week!" I warn him while carrying Harmony to the couch and gently laying her down.

"But that's what he said." He argues.

"And what happened to uncle Greg after he said that?"

"Um, you hit the back of his head..."

"And what did I tell you afterwards?"

"Never to say that word or re-rep-"

"Repeat."

"Yeah, repeat anything that comes out of uncle Greg's mouth!" he says excitedly.

"Exactly. Why?" I test him.

"You said because uncle Greg's brain is smaller than a pea, I don't like peas they taste nasty, and I'm smarter than him."

I cough to hide a laugh and ask. "Right, remember that. So, what happened?"

"This lady, she's really pretty uncle Trevor." Cody points out.

I smile, "Yes she is, but you were saying?"

"Oh yeah," he takes a big breath then continues, "this lady was looking at the picture of you and mommy and she looked kind of sad so I asked her if mommy was pretty and she said yeah and then she asked who mommy was, so I told her it was my mommy, then she got a funny look on her face and started to fall and then you came in and caught her and now she's sleeping on the couch!" he releases the last of his breath with a dramatic drop of his shoulders. Then looks back up at me and smiles showing his two missing front teeth.

I swear, Cody is the funniest little kid and the brightest spot in the mess that was my past.

We both turn to look at Harmony as she starts to stir. I can only imagine what was going through her mind while staring at the picture. She must've gotten at least part of it right. I am going to have a tough job making her stay long enough to hear me out. I plan to make her understand though. Then I'm going to take her home and never speak to or see her again, no matter how much it will hurt me to do so.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 577 44
Harmony Maddison, the average werewolf 15 year old going onto 16, at this time she is supposed to shift, but didn't. Her pack- her family become bull...
8.4M 198K 22
*BOOK THREE* (Can be read as standalone) OFFICIAL PREVIEW FOR THE PUBLISHED NOVEL!! THIS INCLUDES THE PROLOGUE AND FIRST TWO CHAPTERS. Lexia has bee...
531K 13.5K 39
"YOU ARE MINE" Blake said. He had his arm around my neck preventing me from escaping. "Get off me you psycho!" I shouted while struggling to get free...
6K 362 13
True love. Mates. The very backbone of the werewolf species. But what happens when your Alpha mate rejects you? --------- Eden Cross is a Beta wo...