The Buddies Rule | ✓

By Smilie254

[Complete - Wattpad Featured Story April 2018 ] "You have a contract?" Chase ripped the papers out of Lewis'... More

COPYRIGHT
[ Sneak Peek ]
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
A/N [New Books/News] Please Read!
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
AN - Special Thanks & Sequel Information
Related Titles

Chapter 8

5.5K 203 34
By Smilie254

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #424 in Chick Lit

But ALSO, we're almost at 2k reads! That's incredible guys! Thanks a million!

*There will be a special update on August 31st to go along with The Watty's closing*

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 8

....................................................................

Regularity was one thing I had always had in my life. Whether this was regarding Chase and our friendship, or the town I had lived in since I was born; everything had been kept the same. Despite the fact that I had always felt as if nothing could ever happen, there is inevitably a time in everyone's lives that some things have to come to a close. Change is around for just that reason.

Change pulls the rug out from under us when we're most comfortable. Change spins us around until our sight gets blurred. Change makes you wonder if what you're doing is correct. But worst of all, changes ensure that things are different; no matter how much you want things to stay the same.

These new and inevitable changes started the second that Chase and I had met Alan and Lewis. Every day brought something new for the four of us. Although at times I did enjoy the aspect of not knowing what was coming next, these current changes were beginning to bother me.

One of these new changes just happened to be my lunch plans.

"I don't know," Lewis said. "I'd have to really think about it."

It was needless to say that it felt weird eating in the cafeteria with Alan and Lewis. Not only was Chase missing from my side, but this environment was totally new to me. The constant stares from the other dining hall regulars didn't help ease my nerves as I picked at my food, either. Yes, I had been in the dining hall before, but I'd never ordered anything more than a water before racing out. Though, like I said before, things had changed.

"So you're telling me that I can't move in with you guys?" I asked, getting a sure head shake from either one of the friends in question.

"Lewis already said he'd think about it," Alan reminded. "But that's a no from me." The man was still solely concentrated on the pile of mashed potatoes sitting in front of him.

I gave Alan a glare, one he finally caught onto after completely devouring that same like of food. With my glare, his face had turned bright red. "What?! You guys got so upset when you saw me with Zoey on Friday. I don't want to give you a new reason to hate me every weekend." Alan defended smartly. Although I was mad about Alan's 'decision', he did have a point. I would be absolutely disgusted with his weekend flings if I was ever to live there with them.

"Fine." I shook my head, shifting my attention to Lewis. "What about you?"

"I'm on the fence about the issue." Lewis sighed as he turned to look at me. "You're going to have to let me know why you want to move in first. We don't just accept anyone, you know. I'm pretty elitist when given the chance." Lewis rambled on, the man gaining an aura of self-righteousness that I hated more than anything.

"I have literally been one of you guys' best friends since the beginning of last year." I reminded, narrowing my eyes in on my current best friend. Lewis had practically replaced Chase over the last week and a half. He had also been my only savior from Chase's advances.

If I was ever at the apartment, Chase made sure to make some sort of move. Nothing that crossed any lines of course, but he always did something to get my attention. Any and every time I left my room, Chase would pop up. He had made sure that no matter what, I was left feeling somewhat uncomfortable, and somehow longing for something more from him all at once.

It wasn't until I returned to my room completely flustered that I would remember Zac and I were together.

"You give a compelling argument." Lewis nodded as he rubbed his chin in thought. His sight was trained in on a spot towards the upper corner of the dining hall. He was all about this philosophical look in the moment. "What's your closing statement?" He went on, finally locking eyes with me.

I rolled my eyes. "Again. I am your best friend." I reiterated for him, trying to make sure my wording was clear.

"Can you tell me why you really-"

"Chase won't quit hitting on me!" I finally caved, falling back into my uncomfortable dining hall chair before crossing my arms over my chest. Both Alan and Lewis' eyes were suddenly glued to me with my newest revelation. I had refrained from telling either one of them about Chase's new circumstances for our relationship. I knew deep down that if I had told them earlier, it would only make things weirder within the group.

The buddies rule may have worked on Alan, but if anything, it only made things with Chase worse.

"I'm sorry." Lewis paused as he sat up in his chair. "What?"

"I second that," Alan added. His eyebrows were furrowing as the two tried to dissect the situation.

"After the group meeting on Monday, Chase came to some crazy conclusion that upping the sexual tension between us was the right payback for creating the buddies rule. Now he won't quit cornering me around the house and trying to breathe on my neck or creepily caress my shoulders." I shivered at the mere thought. "That's why I need to move out."

Every part of me had wanted that type of relationship with Chase, but not like this. Not under these circumstances. I had wanted a real relationship, one with compromise and late night talks, maybe a kiss here and there. I wanted things the way they had been, but I wanted my feelings for him to be mutual.

Chase on the other hand simply wanted to drive me up the wall with his stupid tension building actions.

"He's getting to you," Lewis concluded with a smirk as he nodded his head slowly.

"What?"

"You heard him." Alan nodded along, tossing a hand out in Lewis' direction. "Chase is using your feelings against you."

"And it's working, obviously," Lewis announced. Their words were only making my face turn bright red.

"Shut up," I muttered, allowing for my sight to drift down to the textbook in my lap. "He's not getting to me."

"Oh yes, he is." Lewis' voice mocking that of a valley girl. "You like him, always have, always will. And now that he's actually acting on those feelings that you both have for one another, you're scared."

"I'm not scared, Lewis." I hissed. "I just have a boyfriend." I shrugged it off, trying to play things cool.

Lewis nodded my way as he finally relaxed back into his chair. "You're correct. You do have a boyfriend."

"Thank you." I sighed in relief.

"One that's coming straight for us." Lewis finished with a sly grin. "And may I say, he looks extra peeved for some reason. Maybe Chase whispered sweet nothings into his ear too-"

"You!" Zac yelled, his voice booming through the dining hall and instantly catching the attention of everyone inside. The three of us froze as Zac stormed over to our table, my boyfriend stopping just behind me as he pointed his index finger directly at Alan. "What do you have to say for yourself!" He yelled, making me rise from my chair.

"Zac," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder before he shrugged me away. "What is wrong-"

"Zac!" Zoey called sternly from the dining hall doorway. The younger girl raced inside, her chest heaving up and down with worry before she stopped behind her older brother. "Please. Can we talk about this? Somewhere else." She hushed, getting right to the point as she vied for her brother's attention.

"Not now, Zoe." Zac dismissed, his eyes burning a hole into Alan's head. "Right now, I think some payback's in order."

"Wh-at?" Lewis asked, dragging out the word as he slowly stood up from his chair along with me. "I know he probably needs a good punch in the face, but why from you, my good man?" Lewis jumped right back into his old ways, instantly making an ass out of himself in front of at least a fourth of the Berkeley student body. I rolled my eyes and slapped Lewis' upper arm.

"Shut up, for real this time," I ordered, my eyebrows raising as I tried to convey how serious this was. Never, and I mean never, had I ever seen Zac like this. He was always so calm, mild mannered even. Only when it came to the people he loved did he act out this way.

It was right then that the answer as to why Zac was so upset came to me.

"Look, man, we can talk this out," Alan suggested nervously as he slowly stood up from his chair, the man holding up his hands in defense. He took a single step back from Zac, one that Zac matched before the space between the two dissipated.

"Actually we can't." Zac stopped as he looked Alan up and down. Though Zac had Alan in height, Alan was much more of a heavy-lifter than Zac could ever dream of being. "Especially since you can't even talk with my sister about why you slept with her and wouldn't call her back," Zac revealed.

"What?!" Lewis and I exclaimed.

I could feel the shock hit me like a ton of bricks. "You didn't even call her?" I scoffed.

"Zac!" Zoey yelled before slamming her hand down against his back. Zac winced for only a second before regaining his composure. "Leave. Now. You're going to get in trouble." Zoey ordered, receiving a single shake of the head from her brother.

"If I do kill him, which I will, who's going to be the one to get me in trouble?" Zac asked smartly. He glanced back at his sister over his shoulder, and the look Zoey gave him, was priceless.

A smirk was wide stretched across her mouth, and her eyes were narrowed in towards him. "Me. So stop, or else I'm filming this whole thing." She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. "So that there's proof."

I could feel my mouth drop, again, out of pure shock. Lewis copied my reaction exactly. This entire encounter had only proved one thing to me: the Ramirez siblings were suddenly very shifty.

"Fine." Zac huffed in defeat before taking a single step back from Alan. "But you better watch it, Green. Your days as the school's playboy, are over." Zac instructed sternly, his finger just missing Alan's nose. Alan nodded vigorously as we watched Zac storm off towards the opposite side of the dining hall.

Zoey rolled her eyes at her older brother, the girl just about to traipse after him as Alan reached out for her arm. "I'm really sorry, Zoey," Alan whispered. The fear in his eyes was still evident as Zoey simply shook her head.

"It's not enough, Alan." She spits back before following her brother's path.

The three of us stood in silence along with the rest of the cafeteria. This was one thing that usually didn't happen in college. Of course, after-parties and whatnot, someone would get drunk and end up punching someone else, but this kind of thing never happened during the school day. Not since high school, anyways. I thought we had left that kind of drama behind.

"I'll go talk with them," I muttered as I reached down for my books. "Try and cover your ass," I hissed.

"Can I come?" Lewis asked happily. He evidently wasn't affected by the almost fight between my boyfriend and best friend. I shook my head.

"You're staying here with Alan. And both of you finish your homework for next hour." I sighed before slinging my backpack over my shoulder. That was the other reason for me eating lunch with the two. We had planned on doing homework.

Looks like that plan left along with Zac and Zoey.

"Okay, mom." Lewis laughed snidely. It took every ounce of my better judgment not to smack him right then and there. But with what had just transpired between Alan and Zac, I was scared to even flick the kid for fear someone would turn me into the dean.

"Shut up, and get to failing your classes," I sniped. With that, I made my way over to the other end of the dining hall. There was a back door that led out to the parking lot that almost no one used. But Zac had raced out this way along with Zoey. I wouldn't find them unless I followed their trail.

Stepping outside into the sunlight was one thing I hadn't been expecting after sitting in lecture halls and the cafeteria all morning. Another thing I hadn't been expecting, however, was Chase leaning right against the wall at my side.

I jumped back, my eyes instantly growing wide at the sight of him. "You've been avoiding me." He issued as a smirk took over his face. I nodded surely. I wasn't about to lie to him.

"Definitely," I said, popping my eyebrows up for emphasis. "But if you let me know when you're going to call off your little tension game, I'll pencil you back into my schedule."

Chase laughed lightly before standing up straight. He took one step forward, his body then just inches away from my own. "Why schedule?" He whispered huskily before placing his hand on my hip. "We've got all the time we could need right now."

With a single movement, Chase had pressed me up against the brick wall of the dining hall. My breathing had quickened as I glanced from side to side, knowing instantly that no one would be around to witness this. "Chase, I was looking for Zac-"

"He left." Chase interrupted, his words harsher than they had ever been towards me. There was a sort of fire in his eyes that both intrigued me and scared me all at once. I nodded, almost not wanting to fight him this time.

"Can we just-"

"Shh..." He whispered as he leaned in closer to my ear. My eyes shut on instinct before I could hear soft words being spoken. "I won't stop until I get what I want." He finished before pulling away.

"What do you even want?" I asked incredulously as he turned on his heel and stalked off towards the quad.

"You already know," Chase quipped over her shoulder. I could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

I take back what I said before. Alan, Lewis and even Zac weren't the ones I needed to be concerned with. It was Chase I really had to worry about.

....................................................................

What does Chase want?! We'll have to wait to find out...

And Alan and Zac are going at it! What do you guys think will happen with Alan and Zoey now?!?

Thank you all for voting/reading/commenting! This was actually my FAVORITE chapter to write! All the interactions had me addicted to writing more 😜

Also, sorry for not getting back with everyone! I'm being honest when I say I've been having about a month long existential crisis... Luckily for me, it's coming to a halt, sort of, and I've got chapters worked out until the beginning of November.

Though the 700+ notifications aren't helping any. But I'll get to those probably by the end of the week.

The next update is on...
August 31st!

There's a sneak peek at chapter 9 up on the site! I've rewritten chapters 9 and 10... They were more filler chapters than anything and I really wanted to fix that.

See you guys on the 31st!

Remember to:

Vote/Comment/Follow 🤗

{Remember to check my profile as well for any and all updating information}

Thanks guys!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
3.3M 109K 42
Bad boys/ players. I hate them, they think they can just walk around and get any girl they want. Well hello, not every single fucken girl...
6.2K 305 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...
1.1M 43.8K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...