First Season

By susan_jackson31

Lady Lavinia Bradley has now turned seventeen and is expected to act like a lady and attend her first season... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18/Epilogue

Chapter 5

13K 753 60
By susan_jackson31

So I woke up this morning to find my first vote and follower so thank you @Charlzke for that and so I decided to put up this next chapter tonight to celebrate!

So now I think we should find out a little more about Mr Colin Black...

Enjoy! :) 

-----

The next morning, Lavinia awoke with a great feeling of excitement. Mr Colin Black had certainly not been deterred by her uncommon choice of dress or the rumours of her disaster of a coming out ball. He had sat by her for most of the night, discussing the poetry they both enjoyed and he had given her many suggestions of places to visit in London – with the hope that he would accompany her no doubt.

Lavinia had told Anne about her outing planned with Mr Black the night before and Anne had been so proud of her. Lavinia knew that this could be the beginning of a good friendship and that her mother and Aunt would be convinced that she had been a success. Mr Black had proposed to call in the morning to seek her Aunt's permission and then they would spend time exploring Hyde Park with Anne as chaperone. Afterwards, Lavinia had promised Judith that they would still have their shopping excursion as there were no engagements that night.

Anne chose a fresh, yellow dress that made Lavinia's hair look a little lighter and flattered her figure. The day seemed promising and Anne wanted Lavinia to look her best.

"Are you nervous?" Anne asked as she was fixing her hair.

"Oddly enough, no," was the honest reply. "Perhaps I would be if I liked him, but I am sure the offer was simply one of friendship."

"What do you think your brother will say when Mr Black arrives?"

"I don't know," Lavinia bit her bottom lip. "I hope he is not rude, but I cannot be sure. He has never taken it well when someone seemed interested in me."

"I am sure he will be on his best behaviour, m'lady," Anne reassured her. "It is expected for young women to go on outings with other men so he should understand."

Lavinia hoped that Anne was right. Surely Charles had thought of this, was she expected to spend her whole summer indoors?

As Lavinia went down to breakfast, she thought more of how Charles could react to her visitor. He could either be rude to the man and demand that he leave, be cold until he leaves himself or make Lavinia dismiss him. She was not prepared for the scene she found as she entered the breakfast room.

Mr Black and Charles rose from their seats when she entered, trying to hold in some uncontrollable laughter. Her Aunt was the same, laughing heartily at the head of the table.

Stunned, Lavinia looked around the room until she realised that Mr Black was holding out her chair for her, waiting expectantly. She sat down, smiling in thanks at him before Charles spoke.

"Mr Black here has offered to take you around Hyde Park this morning, Lavinia," he told her. "Are you alright with that?"

"Certainly Mr Black, I would be delighted," Lavinia had her answer ready.

"Then it is settled," he repeated his words from the night before.

"What was so amusing as I entered?" Lavinia asked around the table.

"Nothing," the three of them replied innocently. Lavinia wasn't so sure, but was unable to comment as Harrison had approached her with the salver. A small card addressed to her on it.

Intrigued, she took it and read it's contents.

Lady Lavinia,

I truly am sorry, please allow me to make amends.

In your room.

C

Realising that it must be from Caleb, Lavinia's heart gave a little leap. What did it mean? What was in her room?

"What is it little sis?" Charles asked nosily.

"Nothing of importance," she said as nonchalantly as possible. She forced herself to continue to eat slowly as she didn't want to draw attention to herself. Charles and Mr Black continued a conversation on agriculture as Lavinia's thoughts whirled around her head.

What was in her room? What could he possibly have given her to 'make amends' for her disaster of a ball and his cocky attitude towards her? And why? He had already apologised properly and she had forgiven him readily, she did not understand why he would go to such efforts. Maybe he felt guilty?

"Lavinia...Lavinia?" the sound of concern in her brother's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Yes?" she blushed when she noticed everyone's eyes on her.

"Are you feeling quite well?"

She nodded.

"Well I suppose it is time for you both to leave. Anne will chaperone you."

"Certainly, I'll go and fetch my bonnet," she lied before leaving the room. She knew Anne would bring it down with her but she could not leave Caleb's gift lying in her room the whole day. She needed to know what it was.

Running unladylike up the stairs, Lavinia hurried to her room and closed the door behind her.

"Took you long enough,"Anne remarked with a light chuckle as she saw her mistress enter.

Lying on her bed was a large box, one in which new dresses usually came in from the seamstress. Lifting the lid, Lavinia took a step back in astonishment. Inside was a beautiful new dress neatly folded. The white silk glistened and sparkled in the sunshine pouring through the window. Taking it by the shoulders, Lavinia lifted the dress out and laid it on the bed. The neckline was low, but not immodestly so, and the sleeves finished at the elbow with a thin layer of lace around the cuff. The bodice was decorated with miniature red roses, giving it a beautiful spot of colour before the skirt fell in a waterfall to the floor trimmed with more white lace. Another note was placed in the bottom of the box.

Lady Lavinia,

I could not find any golden lace the way your dress was at your ball, but I hope you are satisfied with this dress as an apology for my disgraceful behaviour.

C

"Caleb?" Anne squeaked, reading the note from over Lavinia's shoulder.

"It seems so," Lavinia replied, unable to stop her face from splitting into a delighted grin. This was more than she had ever expected. The dress was clearly expensive and more than generous. He must have ordered it before apologising the night before despite her cold dismissal of him at her home. But what could it mean? He had sought her forgiveness and sent her a dress after all she had ever been was rude to him, why was he still being nice?

Then the thought hit her. He wasn't being nice to her. per se, he was hoping for her approval for Judith. He had spoken to her the whole night during dinner before and had kept glancing over at them to see Judith even more afterwards. Judith had told her of their many outings together last season and had spoken of their strong friendship and how close they were to an engagement this year. Keeping in Lavinia's good graces would help Caleb gain her approval for her friend and also keep his friendship with her brother Charles.

Despite these misgivings, Lavinia couldn't stop smiling. Anne hurried her out the door and followed her down the stairs. Mr Black smiled back at her as she took his arm and he helped her into his waiting carriage, clearly mistaking Lavinia's resplendent grin as being for him.

***

The weather was perfect for a morning stroll around the park. Once reaching Hyde Park, Mr Black helped Lavinia climb down and offered her his arm once more. Anne was assisted by his footman.

"I shall be right over there m'lady," Anne told Lavinia, pointing to bench along the treeline. Lavinia nodded and she began to walk with Mr Black.

"The weather is delightful today, is it not, Mr Black?" she began.

"Please, call me Colin," he begged. " I have never got used to being called Mr Black, it was always my father's title. I shall call you Lavinia."

"Of course," she replied, a little surprised at his quick familiarity.

"The weather is indeed perfect for a morning walk, although it is far too hot for any other activity I believe," Colin continued her conversation.

"Indeed, it would be unbearable to do any form of sport in this heat."

"Do you play a sport Lavinia?"

She knew that it was rather uncommon for a lady to play sports. It was deemed unladylike to run around in a dress and to perspire so openly, however she felt like Colin would understand and would not judge her for her uncommon pastime.

"I do, I am rather good at cricket if you can believe it. My brothers taught me well."

Colin looked down at her with surprise and admiration. Here was a woman who was so willing and so open to him. She had agreed with him about all of his favourite poetry last night and had willingly taken his advice on the many areas of London that he enjoyed. Her smile took over her whole face when she looked at him and he could see her happiness and desire.

"That is a remarkable talent Lavinia, I hope to see you in action one day."

Blushing some more, Lavinia turned the conversation back to him as she had been taught at finishing school. No man would like to just listen to her talking about herself, they always wanted to make their opinions known and a lady should give him that opportunity and agree with whatever he said.

"Do you play a sport Colin?"

"Indeed I do. Cricket is my favourite of course, but polo and rounders are other favourites of mine. Many have complimented me on my fair swing and accurate judgement."

"I am pleased to hear that, perhaps I shall watch you play one day."

Lavinia stopped to admire the roses that were growing on the bush beside her. The colours were magnificent, ranging from delicate pinks and whites to bold reds and deep violets. They were by far the most superior she had ever seen and she inhaled their strong perfume.

"You smell just like the roses Lavinia," Colin said, startling Lavinia as she had not realised how close he had been standing. A deep blush washed over her cheeks in awkwardness. Had he just said that? "And your face has just gone the colour of this rose."

He pointed to the deep red one before holding it just under a thorn and pulling out a pocket knife to cut it. He carried a knife with him as well? Why? Feeling rather alarmed at the change in Colin's character, however unsure of how to deter his actions without insulting him, she simply stood there. Colin cut the rose from the branch and then wrapped one of his own embroidered cloth handkerchiefs around the stem to cover the thorns before handing it to her.

"A little souvenir of our time together," he said.

Lavinia shivered despite the warm sun. Trying to dispel the awkwardness she felt, she continued walking, starting up a new conversation.

"Do you enjoy riding?" she asked.

"Certainly, it is one of my favourite pastimes. Riding is perhaps the best feeling in the world when done for pleasure. It gives the rider a sense of ownership and freedom to have a horse bend to one's will."

Again Lavinia simply smiled and nodded and continued to agree with him despite her differing opinion. Her perception of Colin had changed in just a few moments. His remarks on her smell and blush were unnerving and too familiar. As their walk continued and Colin quoted more poetry to her, she thought back to Caleb's gift and how generous it was and how she could not wait to tell Judith of it.

-----

Isn't Caleb just the sweetest?! Also Colin is a little creepy...what will Judith think?

Please vote and comment as you read, it will help me know what you all think :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397K 12.6K 64
What happens when a French high school student gets into some "mischief" with a couple of beautiful vampires? Tatum and Bailey Fernsby have just star...
121K 5.5K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...
28.1K 757 23
"𝚨 𝐠𝛐𝛐𝐝 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐠𝐢v𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝛐𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝛐𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝛐𝐫𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝛐 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝛐𝐮 𝐤𝐢�...
5.7K 389 29
(Completed) When his best friend's cousin, an heiress, is kidnapped, Lord Oscar Seymour is inclined to oblige aid in the search. In the wake of the d...