caged bird; 愛玩鳥 ( a fruits ba...

נכתב על ידי likeatarantinomovie

(A/N: This story contains spoilers from the manga. I've also made slight changes to the story line.) 15 year... עוד

001. clipped wings
003. plummeting
004. losing feathers
005. loss & gain

002. leaving the nest

670 35 0
נכתב על ידי likeatarantinomovie

(A/N: Kotori means "small bird" or "bird of luck" in Japanese.)

--

Kotori nervously pulled at her uniform skirt as she walked down the hall of the main house. She reached the entryway where her new shoes for school sat neatly, waiting for her. She put her foot out and placed it into her shoe, one by one. She chose dark thigh high socks, only to cover up the bandages that were still around her legs. It was spring, but she chose the winter uniform top, to cover the bandages on her upper arms.

Hatori said she would have to wear the bandages for at least a few more weeks before the scars were fully healed. She had a weak immune system from not getting out much, so the chance of infection was higher.

Kotori stood straight after putting her shoes on, and picked up her bag from the floor, slinging it over her shoulder. Her eyes wandered to the sliding door in front of her. The door that would lead her outside, to her freedom.

For the first time in a long time, Kotori smiled. She pulled the door open and stepped into the fresh spring day. Momiji and Haru stood outside, waiting for her to join them. She grinned and ran toward them, waving her free hand at them.

--

There was a lot of people gathered around the outside of Kaibara High School for orientation. Mostly first years, like the three Sohma's that stood crowded together, scanning the class list posted on the school bulletin board outside in the courtyard. They had to be careful not to bump into anyone and risk exposing their secret.

"Momiji!" A female voice called from behind them, the trio spun around and spotted Yuki, Kyo and a young girl coming toward them. The girl's face, that was framed with long brown locks, had bright and welcoming smile.

"Yuki-kun, it's been a while." Kotori said softly, both Kyo and Yuki looked oddly surprised to see her. She stepped away from Haru's side and reached her thin arms out, enveloping Yuki in a hug. She heard Tohru gasp, probably because the lack of his transformation, and whisper something under her breath.

"It's been a long time, Kotori-san." Yuki said softly, returning the hug. "Kotori-san, this is Tohru Honda. Honda-san, this is Kotori Sohma."

Kotori pulled herself away from Yuki, and looked over to the girl. She gave Tohru a broken smile and held her hand out, Tohru quickly accepted her slender handshake.

"It's very nice to meet you, Kotori-san." Tohru said, her cheeks red from nervousness.

--

Kotori's day went by slowly, her class was shared by Haru, which made her less nervous about being around a lot of people. He would cast glances at her occasionally, checking on her, maybe? Or maybe he looked to make sure she was actually there?

Kotori took careful notes, but didn't interact much with the other students in her class. Mostly speaking quietly with Haru when there was a break in between classes.

Lunch time came around, Kotori was given a small allowance for lunch by Hatori. She would have preferred to make her own bento, but she never really learned to cook.

Kotori found herself on the roof of the high school, a sweet melon bread wrapped in it's plastic packaging in her hands. She nibbled at her lunch choice, her eyes fixed on the slowly moving clouds. Haru had left her side only to track down Momiji, promising to catch up with her before class started back up.

"Kotori." A familiar voice sounded behind her, she turned her head to look for the source. Kyo stood a few feet behind her, probably not expecting her to be up here.

"Kyo-san." She greeted, not forcing a smile. She knew Kyo was one of the few she didn't have to fake a smile for.

"How did you get Akito to let you out?" He asked, though it sounded more like a demand. The question wasn't for her sake, more so for his, she thought.

"It wasn't a free pass," Kotori sighed, turning around to face him. "I gave up everything to be here."

Kyo stared at her in response, waiting to hear more. But that's all Kotori would offer for now. She gave him a soft smile, casting her eyes downward as she picked at her melon bread.

"What did you give up?" Kyo asked, not giving up. Kotori met his eyes, tears welling up in her eyes. She then turned her face up to the sky, letting her tears fall.

"My wings."

--

When school was over, Kotori bid farewell to Yuki, Kyo and Tohru. Kyo hadn't spoken a word to anyone since the incident on the roof. Tohru and Yuki had offered for Haru and Kotori to join them back at Shigure's, but Kotori respectfully declined. Haru felt obligated to walk Kotori home and made up and excuse to join her. Momiji had violin lessons after school so he didn't join Haru and Kotori on their walk back to the Main House.

And they all went their separate ways. The walk was pretty much silent, until Haru spoke up when they got closer to their destination.

"Help me study," it was more of a demand than a request, "I'm no good at it, and I need to have some decent grades or my parents will be angry."

"Of course, Haru-kun." Kotori nodded her head slowly, smiling up at Haru.

As they entered the Main House, they slowly split to their separate paths, promising to meet up before dinner to do homework together.

Kotori pushed open the sliding door, slipping her shoes off at the entrance and put on some slippers. She quietly made her way through the house, hoping not to attract any attention.

Kotori made it safely to her room, setting her bag down by her small table in front of her window that had four cushions around it, though she never had use for all four at once. She slid the rice paper shoji open and let her room breathe.

Her room was very traditional Japanese, like the rest of the main house. She slept on tatami mats and her desk was a small low table or washitsu. She had a small lamp in the corner of her room, but she mostly used her windows. She preferred natural light. She also had a small bookshelf in the corner, it had a few books and manga on the shelf, but it was rather empty.

Kotori took out her books and notepads and set them on her table. She sat on one of her cushions and took a deep breath, a small smile on her face. This is what she wanted. A somewhat normal life.

The door to her bedroom slipped open and Kotori spun around to greet her guest, expecting Haru to be there for their homework session. In the doorway stood Akito, looking pale and sad.

"Akito," Kotori whispered, her smile wiped off her face in an instant. She sat on her knees on the floor and bowed her head.

"Kotori, how was your first day at school?" Kotori didn't respond to his question, keeping her head bent to the floor. "Did you meet Tohru Honda?"

Kotori continued her silence and kept her gaze locked on the floor. Akito stepped into her room, sliding the door shut behind him. He moved to the window, brushing by Kotori.

"You look nice in your uniform, Ko-chan." Akito cooed, his face twisted in something indistinguishable. Kotori involuntarily shuddered and shifted on her knees, her wounds stinging with every word that fell from his lips. Akito looked at her table, at her notebooks set neatly. With one swipe of his arm, he sent the books, notebooks and papers flying, some hit Kotori's back.

Kotori groaned in pain, her hands placed on the floor from impact. The books had touched some still sensitive bruises on her rib cage and back. Akito scoffed and walked back to the door, pushing her onto her side as he passed.

Kotori waited till Akito exited the room, and her door was shut before she let the tears that were building in her eyes fall.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

909K 41.6K 62
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
1.2M 47.6K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
150K 5.4K 89
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
655K 14.7K 42
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.