For the Love of Magic

By Rosewood7

"We have a new student in our class today," he announces. I see Jaz's face light up at the prospect of being... More

Wizards Warlocks and Witches
Dominico Redwind: Friend or Fiend?
Marco Polo: Magic Edition
Fighting Warlocks for Dummies
Jack Always Seemed So Happy When He Came Out Of The Box!
Now I see his point....being in the dark sucks!
Metal bars and Magic cars
What Idiot Doesn't Like Disney Songs?
100% Chance of Hugs and Tales
Kindergarten life decisions and Glittery Games
A day accompanied by Dominico Redwind and a lot of head pain
Scary Yoda Mode: On
One big reason to not get caught up in politics
Faye and Ryan, Presenting YOU with YOUR Daily Dose of Weirdness
The Warlock
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.
That's it. I HATE psychopathic wizards. ESPECIALLY when they're out to get me.
Double Trouble With a Shot of Sugar
How To Spend A Snow Day for Dummies
Christmas and the Chaos that Goes With it
Pink, Luck, Rainbow-Barfing Butterflies, Dates, and other Abnormalities
Shakespeare in real life sucks
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
That Jobberknowl Romeo's Plan
Not exactly happily ever after.... but it works
Epilogue
Epilogue II
EXTRA CHAPTERS!

From the hospital bed to the crypt

1.6K 67 11
By Rosewood7

*******************************************************************************************************

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. I should be updating a lot more frequently now. I just had a span with everything going on all the time so there wasn't any time to ever write. Thank you for your votes and please, if you haven't voted do so! Also please comment! I love to hear what you think of my story! If you like anyone, don't like anyone, ship anyone I want to know! So please leave a comment! I read all of them and love hearing from you guys! Well, as of this chapter, if you think it's boring I promise the next one will be better. This is really mostly a filler chapter but it had to be added. Sorry. Oh well. I hope you enjoy anyway!

Magically yours!

Rosewood7

I wake up to a blurry image of Mrs. Redwind leaning over me, she has some sort of cream on her hand and is wiping it on my forehead.

“Shh…Faye…shh…” she whispers.

“Faye!” Dominico exclaims and I see him rush to my side.

“Dominico! Give her some space!” Mrs. Redwind chides him. My eyelids feel like their mad of lead, weighing themselves down. “Let her rest,” Mrs. Redwind says and I instantly slip into unconsciousness.

I wake up again in the night. Outside the moon shines in the dark sky. I look around. I’m in the front purple room on a dark, leather couch. The leather is cold as is the room but a fuzzy blanket has been draped over me. Rowan lies on my legs and is fast asleep. I make sure I don’t move so I don’t wake him. I look over and see Dominico. He had pulled up a wooden chair from the kitchen and set it on the carpet next to the couch. His head hung forward, asleep. He held my right hand between his and had a worried look on his face, even in sleep.

“Faye…” he whispers with his eyes still shut tight.

“Shh…” I tell him, “you need to rest, Dominico.”

“You-you were stabbed!”

“Shh…I’m alright now, Dominico. You need to rest.”

“And then I yelled at you.”

“That was a mistake. Don’t worry about it.” He clutches my hand a little tighter.

“I’m so sorry,” he whispers.

“Shh, it’s OK, Dominico. This wasn’t your fault.” I try to soothe him. “Sleep,” I command him. He murmurs something I can’t make out before following my orders and drifting into a deeper state of sleep. I look to the doorway and see Mrs. Redwind standing there. When I notice her she steps into the room and approaches the couch.

“How long has it been since he’s slept?” I ask her in a worried whisper.

“You just woke up from being stabbed in the stomach and half-way bleeding to death and you’re worried about how much sleep he’s gotten?” she asks in awe. I look at Dominico’s ragged appearance and nod slowly. A small smile touches at the edges of her lips before she grows serious again,

“Two days? He’s lucky to have a friend like you, you know. He was hysterical when he carried you in last night, bleeding like you were. He wouldn’t stop babbling about how it was his fault and how he hadn’t helped you. He’s only left your side when I make him.”

“How long was I out?” I ask. My mom is going to kill me.

“It’s about three A.M. so only about eight hours,” she says. I look at the part of my stomach where I’d been stabbed. It had been completely healed.

“You healed me,” I guess, remembering when Dominico mentioned that she was a Healer. As warlocks can influence people they are also able to influence their bodies. Healers are specially trained to mend broken bones and grow back skin to tend to patients. She nods. Just barely I hear a moan in the other room.

“That’s Izabella. Rest for a bit longer, dear. You need time to recover,” she hurries out of the front room and back to Izabella. I lie my head back down and drift back to sleep.

A sharp pain wakes me up and I shoot up to a standing position. My head throbs in pain and my hand immediately goes to cover it.

“Faye! I’m so sorry!” Dominico exclaims. There is a book on the couch where I had been laying and I saw that Dominico had five more balanced in his hands. They were the medical books from the front room, he was probably trying to diagnose Izabella. I rub the spot where the book hit,

“It’s fine. You’re up. What time is it?” I ask.

“Uhh…five twenty. Wait you woke up when I was asleep?”

“Yeah. I woke up around…I think your mom said three and you were asleep.”

“My mom was in here?”

“Uh-huh, she told me to rest some more. You looked exhausted. You also…uh…talked in your sleep.” Dominico looks horrified,

Talked? What did I say?”

“Just that you were sorry. It really wasn’t your fault at all you know,” I say. He looks at the ground.

“I sent you around that way, I even yelled at you after you were stabbed.

“Did you tell him to stab me?”

“NO! Why would you ever think that?!”

“Then it’s not your fault.” Dominico appears to be double checking my logic. My logic is awesome. Don’t mess with my logic. I hand him the book that fell on the bed. He thanks me quietly.

“Is Izabella up?” I ask. He shakes his head.

“No, she’s sleeping now. She’ll probably be out for a while.”

“Oh, then could you call me later to tell me if she’s any better? Actually call me this time instead of saying you will and then four days of radio silence?”

“Where are you going?”

“That old place we used to hang out all the time, I think it was called high school. We both hate it but it’s sort of a requirement to go,” I say.

“You get stabbed and you don’t take a day off? That’s a committed student.” Dominico acknowledges.

“Yeah, that’s a student whose parents are going to skin her alive if they knew she got stabbed so let’s keep this between ourselves, alright?”

“Sure, I know what you mean. I guess I’ll call you later then,” he says.

“Yeah. Tell your mom thanks for fixing me up. See you later,” I reply. Rowan meets me at the door with Gracie by his side. She gives a whine when I tell her Rowan has to leave. I think it’s adorable. Dominico calls Gracie back in so she doesn’t tackle Rowan into staying. I smile at him and call a last farewell before hopping into Ol’ Rusty and driving home. I’m halfway there when I finally realize that there is a note on the passenger’s seat.

‘Hope you recover from my dagger. Talk to you soon. –P’ My hands shake on the steering wheel. P? I don’t know anyone whose first name starts with P. Talk to you soon? One part of me is thinking good, we have a couple things I want to talk about. However the reasonable, less brave, part of my brain is thinking Oh my gosh this is the guy who drove a dagger through my core. My mouth is dry and I think to call Dominico right away but something stops me. I look at the note. I look at it hard. Harder. Hardest. The paper sizzles into flames and then crumples into ashes. I’m not telling anyone about it. No. One. My whole body is trembling now. 

The phone rings as soon as I walk into the door. I rush over to pick it up,

“Hello?”

“Hey sweetie, sorry I didn’t come home last night. Grandma wanted me to help her unpack and…well…she began telling the family’s history. I fell asleep. Did you get out of the house yesterday?”

“Uh, yeah. I went over to see Izabella, she’s sick.”

“Aww…poor girl. I hope you didn’t freak out when I didn’t come home. I meant to call you before but alas.”

“It’s OK. I went to sleep early yesterday too so I wouldn’t have heard you come in if you did. I guess I should get ready for school then. Bye Mom!”

“Bye sweetie! See you after school!” I hang up. What a relief!

I hurry to get ready for school and barely make it to the bus on time. In my haste I throw on a purple hoodie and don’t have time to change before I have to go to school with purple eyes. I guess I’ll have my eyes closed in most of my classes. Rule Number One: No eye contact! When Ryan slides into the seat next to me he seems uneasy.

“’Morning, what’s up?” I ask.

“Nothing. Why do you ask?” his voice is accusing. Ryan is never accusing.

“You just seem tense. Are you alright?” I ask. He nods but looks away. I hand him an ear bud and play  Who Knows by Avril Lavigne. I’ve always thought it was a good pick-me-up yet non-cheesy song.

“Do you think Dominico and Izabella are going to be there today?” he asks. I shake my head.

“I talked to Dominico yesterday. Izabella’s still sick and he’s out of his mind worried about her. I hope she gets better soon.”

“Yeah, me too.” Ryan says. Something seems weird about him today but I can’t put my finger on why.

“Two days until homecoming,” I remind him. “Have you asked Melissa out yet?”

“No,” Ryan says with a blush, returning to his usual self. “It’s girl’s choice, remember?”

“I don’t think she’d mind if you asked her out. She’s so shy. You should at least try,” I encourage him. Jaz was still back and forth about who she was asking. First Dominico, then some other kid in our class…Charlie Green? I don’t know him but she seems to think he’s cute. Then there was Will Duncombe who I fully support. He’s on the nerdy side like us and also super sweet. Personally he’s just a friend but I would love it if he got together with Jaz. They’d be great together. So for the record I ship Ryan and Melissa- Rylissa because Melan is too close to Melon- and Jaz and Will- Jazill. Izabella hasn’t told me the name of the kid she likes yet although she promised that she will so I don’t have a ship name for her yet. Dominico…I don’t have any idea who he likes.

“You can’t say anything. You’re taking your dog to homecoming,” he says.

“Well who do you think I should ask then?” I ask.

“Well…umm…uh…I know a guy who wants you to ask him,” Ryan admits. What?

“I think I heard you wrong. Did you say ‘I can’t think of anyone?’ Good. Neither can I.” I say.

“You aren’t even a little interested to know who?” Ryan asks. ‘A little interested’ is an understatement. I’m very interested. Last I heard Vance Fredrick branded me a freak. A guy who likes a girl who Vance said was a freak has got guts.

“He told you he wanted me to ask him?” I clarify.

“Well tell me? No but it’s really really obvious he likes you. He probably thinks you’re blind though since you haven’t noticed.”

            “Who?”

“You didn’t see Dominico blatantly staring at you the first day?”

“You’re insane. Dominico does not like me! I guarantee it. If I asked him to the dance he’d probably think I had a fever or something. We’re barely friends!” I exclaim. Dominico like me? Yeah. Like that would ever happen. He’s close to hating me! Sure he feels bad when I got stabbed but that doesn’t mean he has a crush on me! The staring thing I don’t know about but still!

“Do you like him?” Ryan asks, a smile creeping onto his lips. Me fall for the idiot, afraid-of-the-dark, moronic warlock Dominico Redwind? Sure he might be kind of cute and witty and has an awesome familiar. And he knows I’m a witch even if he flipped out about it at first. Still I don’t have to keep that secret from him. My mind floats to when he fell asleep holding my hand. Fine, that was really sweet and felt really nice but…

“Are you kidding?” I ask Ryan. He laughs,

“I wasn’t but never mind. Your face is priceless by the way. You definitely like him.”

            “You’re definitely losing your marbles. I think that pink dye is seeping through to your brain.”

“If you go with him to homecoming, I will ask Melissa out. I promise.” Ryan vows.

“ I guess you only have to buy one ticket then.” He smiles.

“We’ll see.” What is that supposed to mean? We get to school and I have basically hammered the word NO into Ryan’s head so deeply that I might have actually made an indent. Ryan is still laughing at me when Dominico comes by my locker on his way to Social Studies.

“I told you so,” Ryan says when Dominico shows up. Dominico looks confused.

“NO.” I tell him for the seven billionth time.

“No what?” Dominico asks.

“Nothing!” Ryan cheerfully sings before skipping off to his first period. Dominico turns to ask me,

“Nothing,” I say, glowering after Ryan. Then I remember, “I thought you were staying home today.” Dominico looks embarrassed,

“My mom made me come,” he explains, “She said she didn’t want to keep me out of trouble all day so she wants you to do it instead.” I laugh and Jaz joins us before we walk down to first period. The day goes by as usual, slow, monotonous and overall just boring. When fifth period ends I start making my way down to lunch.

“Faye!” a voice calls. I turn around and see Will Duncombe making his way over to me. Will is a tall, lanky kid with curly brown hair and the thickest pair of glasses known to man. He is slightly nerdy and of no physical strength whatsoever and also possibly the sweetest boy in the school. We’ve been in a lot of the same classes since first grade and we’re friends on the level of say-hey-in-the-halls sort of deal.

“Hey, Will, what’s up?” I ask.

“Uh, nothing much,” he replies. His fidgety movements and nervous glances around suggest otherwise. I don’t waste time trying to relax him,

“Spill.” Will gives a guilty and embarrassed look.

“That obvious?”

“Totally.”

“Ugh. I was hoping I was at least a little better than I think I’m doing. Guess not.”

“You’re stalling,” I point out. He sighs.

“Well, you know homecoming is tomorrow,” he starts looking even more nervous than before.

“Yeah?” I prompt him to continue. I know for a fact what he is going to say and it’s not going to be ‘will you be my date?’ Will and I are friends and just friends.

“Umm…I don’t really know how to put it but…”

“No, Jaz doesn’t have a date yet. If that’s what you wanted to know.” I say. His cheeks burn crimson and I know I was right.

“You didn’t tell her did you?” Will yelps.

“No, she doesn’t know you like her. Saying that, if you don’t ask her soon she might get another date.” I threaten him.

“Another date? Like who?!” I shrug.

“Beats me but if you’re going to make your move do it now. The dance is tomorrow for crying out loud!” Crap. The dance is tomorrow. That only just registered. For a split, guilty, second I’m happy Izabella is bedridden and unable to force me to go.

“You think I should? You think she’ll say yes?” Will asks with a beam of hope lighting his eyes. I smile at him encouragingly.

“Well no if you don’t ask her! Come on, how hard can it be?”

“Are you crazy! I won’t have any idea what to say to her!”

“It’s easy. Pretend I’m Jaz for a second. Now give it a shot. What would you say?” I ask. Will looks really embarrassed again but goes along with the role-playing.

“Uh…hey. I was wondering if you were going to homecoming tomorrow,” Will attempts. OK, not bad. Not great but it’s probably not going to get any better.

“Yeah, are you?”

“Um…I was thinking about it…so are you going with anybody?”

“No,”

“Um…well…um…would you like to go with me?”

“Yes! See was that so hard?” I ask. Will just gives me a crooked grin of thanks.

“I guess not,” he admits.

“My only suggestion would be to scratch out the ‘um…’ in all your sentences.”

“No promises,” Will groans.

“Oh well. Ask her anyway! You have my full support!” I say. He smiles and mumbles a ‘thank you.’ We walk down to the cafeteria as two of the last people there. That’s how I hear the slow, heavy footsteps behind us and turn around to see Dominico with a sick look on his face. Oh no. Is he alright? Does he have what Izabella has?

“Uh, catch up with you later, Will. Good luck!” I say. He smiles and nods before heading off in the direction of Jaz. I slip back a few paces to walk with Dominico.

“Hey,” he says, his voice cracking.

“Hi, are you alright? You don’t look so good.”

“Oh gee, thanks, Faye.”

“You know what I mean. Are you feeling sick?” He seems to be going through great pains not to look me in the eye.

“I’m fine. Rowan will be disappointed.” He says. He seems in a really bad mood. Talking low and finishing each sentence like it was the end of a conversation.

“Rowan? Why?”

“I thought you were taking him to homecoming.”

“I am. Why wouldn’t I?” I ask.

“I heard you say yes to him.” He says and nods in Will’s direction. He looks confused when he sees him talking to Jaz, both of them blushing and awkward.

“Will’s my friend. I was helping him role-play to ask out Jaz,” I explain.

“Really?” he asks, his voice giving away to a hint of relief.

“Yeah. You know, breathing is an essential for life. You should try doing it once  in a while.” I suggest. Dominico releases a breath that he obviously didn’t realize he was holding.

“I thought…it’s just that…well…”

“Honestly you don’t have to worry about me backing out on my dog. He doesn’t like dances very much either. He just likes the car ride there.”

“No, I know I wasn’t that worried about Rowan. I was worried that…uh…nevermind.”

“What?” I ask, curiously.

“Yeah, Dominico, what were you worried about another guy asking Faye out?” Ryan asks, coming up behind us. I cast him a murderous look, mentally screaming NO! Dominico stumbles to find a reply and Ryan just smiles at me,

Told you so!” he sings.

Shut up! NO!” I growl at him. Dominico looks confused.

“Faye is in denial,” Ryan explains to Dominico. That didn’t exactly shed any light on Dominico.

“Let’s just go eat lunch,” I mutter, stalking to our table. Dominico and Ryan sit down across from me, Ryan still grinning like an idiot. Finally he gets bored of mocking me and starts pitching ideas for his new rebel theme. I don’t let go of a grudge as easily.

“You should dress like a scarecrow. Like the one from the Wizard of Oz.” I say. That brings Ryan’s constant flowing, one-sided conversation to a stop.

“Why?”

“Because you’re so brainless.” I explain. Dominico bites down a laugh.  Ryan tries to make a comeback,

“I wouldn’t want to do that because I might end up scaring you. You know you’re too scared to admit you like him.” To my relief Ryan does nothing to indicate Dominico when saying ‘him’. Instead that leaves Dominico wondering who him is. My cheeks burn red.

“Who?” Dominico asks. I ignore him.

“You won’t admit to Melissa that you like her!” I counter.

“I told you, I will ask her if you ask him.” Ryan defends.

“Who?” Dominico repeats.

“I’m not going to do that. I’m already going with Rowan.”

“Then I’m not going to go with anyone. You’re the reason I’m always a wallflower!” Ryan accuses. “Why is it such a big deal to you anyway. You so like him! Don’t you think he likes you?”

“He doesn’t like me and I don’t know where you got the absurd premonition that I liked him. I don’t.  Another thing, we are not having this conversation.”

Who?” Dominico begs. Ryan opens his mouth to inform him but I shoot one of my grapes into his mouth using a plastic spoon to keep him from saying anything.

“Crap that was a good shot!” Ryan exclaims with admiration. Yeah and no magic used for it either! Just skill.

“Who?” Dominico repeats again. Ryan waves off his question as if it was trivial and unimportant.

“Guys! Guess who just asked me to homecoming!” Jaz exclaims.

Turns out Dominico rode to school this morning. May I add, not in a car. We walk out to the parking lot after the seventh period bell.

“You biked? You have a motorcycle?” I ask. Dominico looks like he’s not sure how to respond, “That’s awesome!” I exclaim. Did I mention that my dad has a motorcycle which I have been riding since I was three until I was banned from it so he’d get a turn? Dominico grins.

“Want a ride …to check on Izabella?” he asks.

“Sure, thanks!” I agree. He mounts the bike and I climb on behind him. “Um…should I…uh…” I ask awkwardly.

“Uh yeah,” he says and I wrap my arms around his waist. He starts the bike and I hold on a little tighter at the sound of the shaky engine. If he wanted I could repair that for him…

We speed down the busy roads until we reach the miles of nothingness before his house. In those couple of miles Dominico guns the engine and race down the path.

“Faye?” he asks loudly over the roar of the cycle.

“Yeah?”

“Quick question, do you trust me?”

“Um trick question?”

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“What? Why?” Suddenly we’re airborne. Dominico hit a slanted rock at full force, flinging us into the air. I laugh in excitement, silently praying that he knows what he’s doing. We touch ground and Dominico turns to smile at me.

“Watch the road!” I reprimand him. He laughs.

“Says the girl who lets her dog drive her truck!”

“At least Rowan watches the road.”

“I don’t drive as well as your dog? You’re hurting my feelings.”

“You won’t have any feelings if you crash from not watching the road!” Somehow I know Dominico is grinning. We pull into the driveway in one piece thankfully. I do have to admit though, IT WAS AWESOME! “Thanks for the ride,” I say as he hops off the bike.

“My driving didn’t bother you too much?”

“Your driving is great as long as you watch the road,” I tell him.

“Picky, picky.” Dominico complains but offers me his hand to step off the bike. I take it and ignore his last comment. I hear the door creak open even before Dominico and I can approach the steps. Dominico stops dead in his tracks. My mouth falls open,

“Izabella?” I ask at the figure standing in the doorway. She smiles at us. “You’re awake!” I exclaim and rush to her. Dominico snaps out of his daze a couple seconds and follows me up the steps to give his sister a hug.

“Good as new!” Izabella says with a bubbly laugh. Wait a minute…wasn’t she on her deathbed yesterday?  Izabella seems to sense my thoughts (she can’t actually do that now, right? Dominico can’t do it. If he could he wouldn’t be half a clueless as he normally is. Unless he’s acting…hmmm) “My fever broke, I could suddenly breath again and BAM! My energy’s back! All in like three hours! Freaky right? I think Dominico leaving was good luck!”

“Hey! I was worried sick about you, Mini Monster!” Dominico teases. I laugh and Izabella tugs us both inside, sticking her tongue out at Dominico. Her mood swings and she turns to me.

“You know why I’m super excited I got better?” she asks. Trick question?

“Why?” I prompt.

“Homecoming’s tomorrow and you are so going!” she cheers. I lean my head back and groan,

“Darn it! I thought I was off the hook!” I admit. Dominico smiles at my utter look of defeat. I jab my thumb in his direction, “I’m guessing your brother isn’t letting you play dress-up with him this homecoming, right? So you’re taking it out on me.”

“Bingo.” Dominico says with a grin, “You’re my replacement! She’s been making me go to these parties forever. Now it’s your turn to face her cheery wrath!” Cheery wrath….does not compute. Whatever. Izabella whacks Dominico with the back of her hand.

“You liked it, come on, admit it.” She says. Dominico concedes but when Izabella turns her back he shakes his head frantically mouthing ‘NO!’ over and over. I can’t but help crack a grin. Izabella spins around to catch him mid-‘NO!’ He tries in vain to act casual.

“Just for that, I’m making you go to this dance too!” Izabella glares. Dominico slaps on a knowing grin.

“Oh yeah? And just how are you planning on accomplishing this?” he challenges. Izabella points at me. For a second I think she’s going to yell ‘Pikachu! I choose you!’ sorry. Pokémon will be forever embedded in me as the majority of my childhood.

“Faye will help me! She’s a lot stronger than you are!”

“Don’t drag me into this!” I yelp. However the words are out and I can see Dominico’s self-esteem shake under the truth of Izabella’s last statement.

“She is not stronger than me!” Dominico defends. Uh…yeah I am!

“I’m sorry, who kicked who’s butt and threw it in a dumpster?” Izabella asks. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea. I mean, sure I’m stronger than him and will prove it but let’s not crush his ego, put it through a blender, burn it to ashes and stomp on the remains. That sounds a little cruel, don’t you think? Dominico scowls at Izabella and then turns to me. I hold my hands in surrender and take a step backwards.

I am not saying any of this, for the record. She is.”

“Do you think you’re stronger than me and just don’t want to rub it in?” he demands.

“That’s not what I said!” I exclaim and then mutter, “Though it is what I meant…” He glares daggers at me. Oops. I think I need to work on my people skills.

“That’s not true. You used magic. That’s cheating.”

“Actually I just used magic for part of it. Me kicking you around? No magic required.” I say. Dominico sighs,

“Let’s work something out here, are you my friend or not?” I smile at him at stand on my tippy-toes to pat him on the head.

“Don’t worry. I ignore my enemies, am nice to my friends and make fun of my best friends. Except for Izabella. I only partially sometimes make fun of her.”

“Aww….” Izabella says and gives me a half-kind-of hug. You know, the wrap around your shoulders with one arm kind. Dominico just chuckles.

“Oh, so that’s why you’ve only ever been able to keep Jaz and Ryan as best friends. Suddenly your social issues are so clear!” I give him a not-so-light punch in the arm.

“You’re a nuisance.”

“You just now realized this?” Izabella asks. Dominico waves off our comments and goes off to the living room. “Come on! You have to see your costume!”

“Oh. My. Gosh.” Jaz whispers in awe.

“It’s perfect!” Izabella squeals.

“I’m not wearing this in public.” Do I even have to mention who said that last part? Yep. Yours truly.  It’s been one day since Izabella completely and magically regained her health and is (oh boy!) homecoming.

Izabella is fully decked out in a vampire dress that has a red torso with black sleeves and a skirt along with a black spider web cape. She is wearing dark red lipstick and cat-eye eye shadow. She looks more vampirish than any actual vampire has seen. (Biggest vampire myth? THEY DON’T DRINK BLOOD…I mean they can but all the ones I’ve met prefer pixie sticks). She looks stunning. Jaz on the other hand looks like if she sat on the roof of a building she could be mistaken for a neon sign.

Jaz wanted to be a nymph for Halloween. OK. I said ‘cool!’ We decide to meet up at Izabella’s house before homecoming. Jaz shows up and she is blue. I don’t mean her costume, although that was also blue, but her skin and hair and eyes. Jaz’s dress was floor-length with long blue-transparent sleeves. She looks amazing after your eyes adjust.

Then there is me. I am so not leaving the house like this. Izabella made this costume specifically witch-oriented. My hair is curled with a white flower tucked behind my ear and falls almost to my waist with sparkles in it that also cover my whole face. Izabella gave me pink eyeliner that goes off into a purple swirl off my eye and I am wearing cotton candy flavored lip gloss. Ugh. Makeup. Not only that but I am wearing white leggings with a white shirt. The sleeves of the shirt fade out into a glittery clear gauze at the ends. Over my leggings I have a clear, sparkling skirt that flows to the ground in three layers. I also have a sparkling layer of clear material on over my bottom shirt. Don’t even get me started on the shoes. I DON’T DO HEELS! Especially 3 inch clear ones. They look like the plastic version of Cinderella’s glass slipper…except with more sparkles. Come on Izabella, couldn’t you have restrained Jaz at all? To finish off the costume I have a pair of rainbow, sparkling wings protruding from my back. I look in the mirror expecting my eyes to turn a creepy white but instead they turn the rainbow glint color of the sparkles. As I said, a costume meant for a witch.

“Why not?!” Izabella complains. “You look great!” Who comes off their deathbed just to come to homecoming anyway? Not to be mean but couldn’t she have had to stay in bed for, like, one more day? Jaz hops off of Izabella’s bed.

“Ask Ryan what he thinks. I bet he’ll appreciate our masterpiece!” She takes my hand and forces me down the stairs. Dominico and Ryan have been done for, like, an hour. They are now hanging out in the living room playing one of those video games where the whole objective is to blow stuff up. Ryan has on grey baggy pants with a greenish vest on without a shirt under it. He painted his chest with different signs that he found online in blue, green, red and black paint. His hair is sticking up in spikes. The pink part really takes away from the rest of the costume. He also has fake blood smeared all around his mouth. He took my advice and went with the cannibal thing.

Dominico doesn’t look to drastically different from normal. He’s wearing a  black tuxedo with a top hat that he can pull a fake rabbit out of and has a black cape with a scarlet underside. He also has a magic wand with him that we both laughed about. Like he needs a wand.

Izabella, Jaz and I head down stairs (actually I hobble do to my heels). Jaz goes into the room first and I hear the boys pause the game.

“Hey, Jaz,” I hear Ryan say, “You got something blue on your face. Right there.

“Idiot, I’m a nymph! Of course I’m blue. I didn’t want to overdo it by being yellow.”

“We wouldn’t want to overdo it now, would we?” Ryan laughs.

“Hey Iz,” Dominico says when she walks in, “Where’s the costume?”

“I wouldn’t keep talking if I were you unless you can magically get rid of a black eye.” Oooohhhh!s  from Ryan and Jaz. Here goes nothing. I step into the living room and all eyes turn to me. The boys’ jaws drop. I feel my face turn red.

“That’s it. I’m not going.” I announce and spin on my heels to leave. Thank goodness I don’t fall.

“No! We’re sorry! Wait a second!” Ryan exclaims.

“Whoa.”  Is all Dominico can get out. I. Am. Not. Going. Period.

“Doesn’t she look great!” Izabella squeals. Ryan catches my arm and pulls me back into the middle of the living room.

“So much sparkles!” Jaz exclaims.

“I’m not leaving the house looking like this.

“We’re sorry!” This time it’s both Ryan and Dominico, who has gotten his voice back by now. I turn to leave again and again Ryan catches my arm. He gives me a puppy dog face and I try in vain to pull away from him. Dang! This dude’s got an iron grip! Suddenly Gracie and Rowan come scampering into the room.  Rowan is wearing a batman mask, shirt and cape and Gracie is dressed up in a pink princess hat with a pink, purple and blue dress.

“Awwwww…” we all say. Dominico calls Rowan over to him.

“How can you say no to going with this face?” he asks, holding Rowan up on his two hind legs. I hesitate for a second.

“Ugh! You’re using my dog to make me go! That’s not cool man, not cool.” Dominico laughs.

“Come on, Faye. You look great.” It takes me another look at Rowan and then at Gracie to finally concede.

“Fine. But if everyone stares at me I’m gone.” Ryan claps his hands and cheers. “But Rowan drives.” I add.

What?” Jaz and Ryan ask. Oops. That probably sounded weird.

“Yeah, what was that, Faye?” Dominico asks with a sly smile, knowing it would be illegal to let Rowan drive in front of Ryan and Jaz.

“Nothing,” I groan.

“Let’s go!” Izabella exclaims.

“WAIT!” Mrs. Redwind says, walking in. “Picture time!” Great not only do I have to bear through this one night but I have to remember it too?

We all wrap our arms around each other in a long, smiling line.

“Faye is that you?” Mrs. Redwind asks. My face burns red.

“Unfortunately so.”

“Doesn’t she look great?!” Izabella exclaims again.

“Oh, she looks just thrilled,” Mrs. Redwind says with a smile.

“Oh yes, I’m elated.” I say in a deadpan tone. Mrs. Redwind chuckles.

“Say cheese!”

“SWISS, CHEDDER, AMERICAN, PEPPERJACK, COLBIE!” We all scream. It’s a long story. Mrs. Redwind seems satisfied with our picture and lets us leave. We all cram into Ol’ Rusty with Ryan, Izabella, and Jaz in the back and Dominico and me in the front. Gracie and Rowan sit on Dominico’s lap so I can scarcely see his gloating face. Well I’m ready as I’ll ever be. As soon as we set off Ryan, Izabella and Jaz start screaming the lyrics to Avril Lavigne’s Girlfriend and Dominico and I start cracking up before we join in. We pull into the school parking lot halfway through Some Nights by Fun.

“MY HEART’S BREAKING FOR MY SISTER AND THE PROMISE SHE CALLS LOVE! THEN I LOOK INTO MY NEPHEW’S EYES…”

“You have arrived,” I say in my best GPS voice.

“Ready?” Dominico asks. I look at the upbeat school with different colored lights shining and loud music playing.

“No.” I say.

“Well there’s no turning back now!” Izabella exclaims.

“Actually…”

“Faye if you back out of this I’m telling the guy you like that you like him.” Ryan says.

“WHO?!?!” Izabella, Jaz and Dominico all exclaim. Even Rowan and Gracie bark.

“I DO NOT LIKE HIM!!!”

“Ready to go, Faye?” Ryan asks, mockingly. I scowl at him and get out of the car.

Rowan and Gracie climb across the seat and jump out after me, followed by the rest of our hodgepodge crew. I trip at least five times on the way to the door and would be face-down on the concrete if Dominico hadn’t taken the initiative to stand next to me to yank me back up every time I wipe out.

“Thanks,” I reply after falling for the sixth time. “This shoes are like medieval torture devices.” Dominico smiles at me,

“Anything to get you inside the dance. It would be a shame to bail in the parking lot.”

“Are you kidding? If bailing is still an option, I’m in!”

“But then Ryan gets to spill your guts.”

“I do not like him and I’m positive he doesn’t like me.” I say. This is a weird conversation since it’s about him and he doesn’t even know it.

“Well he’d be an idiot not to like you tonight,” Dominico says. Good thing he is, in fact, a proven idiot. Still…he can be sweet. I feel myself blush. My ankle twists and I fall again to have Dominico yank my arm halfway out of its socket to pull me back up.

“If I make it through tonight,” I say grimly. We walk up to the door where a parent volunteer welcomes us.

“Sorry, no dogs allowed.” She says, appearing confused to why we would even think of bringing our dogs. We glance at our cutely dressed dates in sorrow.

“I’ll take them home!” I volunteer, pulling out my keys.

“Thank you,” Ryan says, taking them out of my hands and calling the dogs to the car. I try to put up a chase but two steps in I almost fall again. Why do I hang out with these cruel people?

“This way, Ms. Lightcaster,” Dominico says into my ear with a smile and offers me his arm. I take it without a choice due to my evil footwear. We make our way to the gymnasium and I gaze at the sight before me in utter despair.

“It’s better than the hospital bed,” Dominico says, reminding me of my stab wound. I give a humorless  laugh.

“From the hospital bed to the crypt,” I say. I’m just waiting to die here. Will Duncombe spots us from across the gym. He’s dressed up like Luke Skywalker, complete with a glowing light saber. I think he has super-eyes or something because he doesn’t need a second to adjust to Jaz’s blueness.

“You look beautiful,” he tells her and even under all her paint I know she’s blushing. “Who’s this?” he asks turning to me.

“You forgot about me already? Gosh Will, I thought we were friends.”

Faye?” I give Izabella a look like I’m going to get you back for this someday. Will stumbles to make a save but Jaz rescues him by asking him to dance to which he gladly says yes.

“That was humiliating,” I grumble when they’re out of range.

“Try to enjoy it,” Dominico suggests. I turn to Izabella and see her staring at the freshman boy that she likes. He doesn’t appear to have a date either.

“Can I meet him first?” Dominico asks.

“Oh please no!” Izabella yelps.  I smile at her,

“Go ask him to dance,” I advise her. She blushes. Dances do mostly consist of blushing, don’t they? She glances at him again,

“Wish me luck,” she says.

“May the force be with you,” I say with a wink.

“I still think I should go talk to him,” Dominico says. Izabella looks horrified again.

“I’ll make him behave,” I promise her. Although this would be a great time for payback…no…I’m not that mean. Izabella tries not-so-successfully to walk casually over to what’s-his-name.

“Do you know his name?” I ask Dominico. He shakes his head.

“Let’s call him….” He thinks for a second.

“Gil.” I say.

“Gil?”

“Yeah. G-I-L. For Guy Izabella Likes.”

“You’re so creative,” Dominico says sarcastically.

“Or we could call him Bil for Boy Izabella Likes.”

“Bill has two L’s.”

“Not necessarily.”

“Yes it does. So then it would have to be Boy Izabella Likes…Lollipops.”

“Lollipops?”

“At least I’m creative.”

“Boy, Izabella likes lollipops? Let’s stick with Gil.”

“You call him Gil, I’ll call him Bill.”

“Or we could have Bill as his last name. Gil Bill.”

“Gil Bill? Hmm…Catchy.” We exchange a look and then both laugh. Izabella’s talking to Gil Bill now and they’re both awkwardly making conversation but are both smiling. I take that as a good sign. Dominico and I make our way to the back wall, out of everybody else’s way.

“Are you going to ask anyone to dance?” I ask him.

“Like who?”

“I don’t know. You won’t tell me her name remember?”

“Well, you won’t tell me who you like.”

“Nor will I ever,” I tell him.

“I promise I won’t freak out or anything,” Dominico says.

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep,” I tell him.

“Would I have a reason to freak out?” he asks.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“You’ll never have to worry about it!” I sing happily. Dominico rolls his eyes. Christina Perry’s A Thousand Years comes on and everyone begins slow dancing.

“Well if the guy you like isn’t going to ask you to dance, would you like to dance with me?” Dominico asks. What an ironic statement although it should be amended to the guy Ryan thinks I like.

“You sure? I mean, you’ve seen me walk and you want to dance with me?” Dominico smiles,

“I think I can handle it.”

“Well then, dance at your own risk!” I say. He smiles again as he takes my hand and leads me out into the center of the gymnasium. I do actually know how to dance if that counts for anything, I’m just not good-or remotely good-at it. Dominico doesn’t seem to mind though as he takes my waist and leads us in slow circles.

“You’re really good at this,” I tell him as he spins me around.

“You’re not too bad yourself.” He says. Too bad. “I mean-“ Dominico catches the flaw in his compliment. I laugh light-heartedly and Dominico saves himself the correction. 

“Hey, look,” I say and nod in the direction of where Gil Bill and Izabella are dancing.

“Should I go over and scare him?” Dominico asks, obviously tempted.

“No, I promised her you’d behave. Scare him after tonight, like if he ever comes to our lunch table. I’ll even help you.” Dominico’s eyes light up.

“How?” I shrug.

“Whatever special effects you need!”

“Seriously? Awesome!” I smile and sigh, looking at Izabella and her friend.

“Poor Gil Bill. He doesn’t even know what’s coming for him,” I say with a shake of my head.

“Nope, the kid won’t know what hit him!” Dominico says, cheerily.

“At least give him a sliver of a chance!” I try to defend Izabella’s crush.

“Of course I will…if he knows ancient karate, samurai skill, advanced chemistry and is a demolition expert he’ll be fine!”

“You know what, I’m not even going to ask.

“How many pounds of dynamite could you find in a week?”

“None and neither should you be able to. Who would sell a 16-year-old dynamite anyway?” Dominico clears his throat and points to himself.

“Warlock.” He says.

“Oh. Right.”

“It has its uses.”

“I’m sure. Especially since you have everyone in this room under your spell right now,” I say. It was true, Dominico was releasing an aura of magic that encompassed the entire gym. It was actually quite impressive.

“I thought you didn’t want people staring at you. Are you complaining?”

“Not at all, as you said, it has its uses.” Dominico seems to be contented by my acceptance of his magic. I guess it’s my turn to get over the fact that he’s a warlock. Heck! I forget about it half the time by now anyway! Dominico spins me around one more time before the song ends. Everyone claps because-of course-Christina Perry can hear us clapping at the speakers.

“Want to stop?” he asks me. I debate for a second. The DJ turns on Justin Bieber.

“Yes.”

“Good answer.” We make our way off of the floor as the DJ cranks the music even louder. Dominico turns and says something to me.

“WHAT?” I ask, unable to hear him. He repeats what he says but I think he can tell by the blank look on my face that I still can’t hear him.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” I ask loudly. He looks confused.

“WHAT?” he yells back. This is getting annoying. I take his arm and pull him out the side doors of the gym that are already propped open.

“What did you say?” I ask him.

“Never mind.”

“What?”

“Well, I asked you if you wanted to come outside so we could talk but I guess great minds think alike.”

“Yeah, and so do ours!” I say. He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“You make a joke out of everything,” he says.

“Hey, if that’s all I get from hours spent on the Internet then so be it.” He sighs.

“Well, at least you’re not overly corny…most of the time.”

“What do you mean corny? Being a Hoosier doesn’t mean I can’t have a good sense of humor.”

“Exhibit A,” he says. I laugh and Dominico smiles at my laughter. “Wow, you’re laughing and wearing your costume simultaneously!”

“I know, who would have thought?” Suddenly Dominico’s smile fades and he’s not looking at me anymore. I turn around and freeze. Standing behind me is Dominico but a version of Dominico wearing an evil smile. Oh no.

“Hello again, Faye. I told you I’d be seeing you again soon.” The other Dominico grins. This must be P. I take a step backward into the real Dominico who protectively takes my hand.

“What do you want?” Dominico asks. P smiles.

“Many things but I only need one thing to get them.”

“And what is that?” I ask. P’s smile widens.

“You,” he says. Suddenly Dominico and I are both thrown backwards by an unknown force. My head lands on his chest while his slams down on cold, hard asphalt. He doesn’t sit back up.

I quickly scramble off of him but not fast enough. P holds a strange smelling rag to my nose and I feel my brain shutting down. Wow. I really did go from the hospital bed to the crypt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 3.1K 8
Hi!!! My name is Oswin Christina Potter. Yup, you heard right. I'm the twin of the famous James Potter. I have brown hair and bright blue eyes. Howev...
144K 4K 21
(This is a sequel to Red Eyes (Teen Wolf/Derek Hale) Please read that before you read this. Thankyou.) ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++...
21.1K 1.2K 39
For the past five years, I've loved him from afar. He became my awakening. My escape. Being the daughter of a serial killer has never been unicorns a...
1.6K 12 12
"Hey Daph" Mattheo says, "Whos the chick with Enzo" "Oh thats his 'Imaginary friend' " she laughs, "Damn she is real" Theo says surprised, "Yeah real...