Reckless

By clarecassidy

*currently editing* Two boys. Two different schools. One game. One goal. Life was easy when you were consider... More

Acknowledgments
Aesthetics
Chapter 2| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 3| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 4| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 5| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 6| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 7| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 8| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 9| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 10| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 11| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 12| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 13| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 14| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 15| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 16| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 17| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 18| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 19| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 20| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 21| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 22| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]
Chapter 23| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]
Exciting News!
Special Little Announcement

Chapter 1| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]

70.7K 2K 3.3K
By clarecassidy

"i know in the morning we'll be nothing more than each other's enemies"
bedroom warefare • one ok rock

***

    I dribbled the ball up the field as fast as I could, skilfully dodging opposing players as I went. Carefully blocking out the noise of the crowd, I focused on the goalie.

    "Okay," I muttered to myself, "one more goal and we win."

    I swung my leg back and just as I was about to shoot on goal, the ball was kicked out from under me. Unsurprisingly, I turned to see none other than Dakota Anderson dribbling the ball back up the field with a smirk on his face.

    Of course it was him: the star player of Ridgemount Academy and my biggest rival since we played together in Little League as kids. I'd hated him for years, beginning with the time he tripped me intentionally so I'd face plant on the field during the first game we ever played together.

    Seven-year old Dakota was a spoiled brat with an attitude problem. Eighteen-year old Dakota was a stuck-up, conceited jerk who needed a good old punch in the face.

    I snarled and tore after Dakota to the midfield line. The ball was passed upfield toward Ridgemount's goal. Before they could score, Northshore's defenders closed in quickly and the ball was kicked away again. My eyes tracked its every movement across the pitch.

    "Connor!" Trent, one of my best friends who played midfield, called as he approached with the ball.

    My feet were moving before I'd even registered the thought. The faces of other players blurred around me as I focused on Trent, ready to take possession of the ball. In less than three seconds of attaining it, Dakota was by my side.

    Having already swung my leg back to take another shot, I let out a painful yelp when Dakota's cleat struck my shin in effort to reclaim the ball. The power of the blow travelled through my shin guards to a throbbing ache beneath my skin.

    It would've been a foul but Ridgemount had set themselves up in a way that obscured their Captain's actions from the referee's view. Milliseconds passed but it was enough time to seize the opportunity for a contemptible playout. Ridgemount's playing style was dirty and deceitful, endorsed by Dakota's smug look every time another one of their schemes was executed without repercussion. That stupid grin on his face was one of the many reasons I despised him.

    The Ridgemount Captain was gone as quickly as he'd come. Dakota kicked the ball toward the midfield line and it was claimed in a flurry of red and black jerseys.

    Northshore fought hard. Our defenders came in swinging but they weren't fast enough. Ridgemount was the stronger team and we hadn't had enough of a head start.

    Our teams collided in a technicolour explosion of red and blue, fighting viciously to obtain the ball. Feet became entangled and the gameplay grew more savage as the final minutes counted down. I grinned when we regained possession a few times before slacking when we lost it again. Northshore's defence was quickly falling apart under the brutish attacks of Ridgemount's opposition.

    In the end, it didn't come down to much. I watched helplessly as the ball was passed back and forth in a blur of fighting red and black. There were ten seconds left in the game when it was passed off to one of Ridgemount's strikers. A beat of silence ensued as the entire stadium held its breath.

    4, 3, 2,

    A neon green 1 flashed overhead when the ball sailed passed our goalie into the corner of the net.

    A deafening cry of cheers and hollers erupted from the Ridgemount spectators in the stands. The score changed to reflect the win as celebratory music started to blare overhead. Students ran down the concrete steps and onto the field to celebrate the winning team.

    Northshore cut their losses and made their way over to shake hands with the Ridgemount players. I was the only one left in the centre of the field as my team migrated to the side lines.

    Knees shaking, I bent over to catch my breath. Sweat drenched the hair hanging over my eyes as I stared up at the scoreboard in disbelief.

    Anger flared within me at the sight of flashing digits overhead in Ridgemount's favour. Part of me wanted to strangle our goalkeeper. All those hours spent coming up with new strategies over the summer and for what? Still, I knew this wasn't just our goalie's fault but I'd been so sure we'd have them this time.

    A voice broke me out of my trance.

    "What's the matter there, Taylor? Couldn't take the heat?" Dakota laughed from a few feet away. He wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of one hand. "Never picked you for a sore loser."

    "Shut up, Anderson!" I shot back. "I'm just trying to work out how something with literally zero brain cells was coordinated enough to make that shot!"

    My team appeared at my side, drawn back to the field by Dakota's loud antagonism. They were close but left enough space for me to fight my own battles. And to watch the playout.

    Dakota snorted at my retort. "Funny. I was wondering the same thing about you."

    Trent and another teammate had to hold me back as I took a swing at Dakota. They pulled me away before my fist could collide with the bastard's cheek.

    The Ridgemount Captain only laughed and took a casual step back. He offered nothing more than a smug look in my direction before turning away to celebrate with his team.

    "Asshole." I sniped in his wake.

    "Hey, hey," Trent told me as I struggled in his grip. Our team began to retreat off the field. "It's only the beginning of the season. We can still make up the loss."

    I growled, shrugging Trent off me. "We shouldn't have lost in the first place."

    "C'mon, man!" My other best friend, Scott, appeared, jumping on Trent's back and nearly knocking the taller boy off his feet as he exclaimed, "Even if we didn't win, Angela's hosting a party tonight. Free drinks and hot seniors, dude!"

    "Not in the mood."

    "Connor," Scott whined. "Don't deprive yourself the wonders of human interaction just because we got our asses handed to us today."

    I flicked him an amused look. "The wonders of human interaction? You taking some philosophy class we don't know about?"

    Scott scoffed. "Shut up, man. You already bailed on us last week at Jake's. You're coming tonight."

    "I don't think anyone will feel like celebrating after that." Trent stared pathetically at the scoreboard. "Scott's right. We got our asses handed to us."

    "We did not!" I exclaimed. "We played hard!"

    "Not hard enough." Trent muttered.

    I shot him a glare.

    Trent sighed. "Face it, Con. Ridgemount is the stronger team. We've won barely any games against them since Anderson joined the line-up."

    "They're stronger, but we're faster. I know we can get around their defenders. I just haven't figured out how."

    "We."

    "What?"

    Trent smiled. "You said 'I'. Soccer is a team sport, man. This isn't all on you."

    "I'm the Captain."

    "Which is why you should be coming tonight." Scott smirked, knowing he'd found the perfect opening. "Win or lose, you're Connor Taylor. No one will care about the loss when they see their Captain walk into that party, head held high like nothing ever happened today."

    "Life isn't a movie, Scottie."

    "But this is a game and win or lose, you have to appear strong. No one's going to believe a victory is in store for us if you're not around to show them."

    I sighed. Sweat was beginning to harden in my hair. The odour rolling off my body confirmed the assumption that I was in desperate need of a shower.

    "C'mon, dude." Scott grinned, sealing the deal. "Free alcohol and half the volleyball team in minidresses. You can't pass up on that."

    "Except in his case," Trent shot me a knowing smile. "He can unless it's a closeted football player with the right amount of ego to tame."

    I laughed then. "You saying I need some punk ass half back with fragile masculinity just to have a good time?"

    "No," Trent drawled, "but maybe it wouldn't be so bad entertain the distraction?"

    He and Scott held their breath as they awaited my answer. I lasted ten seconds before sighing. "Fine," I rolled my eyes as they both cheered, "one drink. That's it."

    "Sure, man," Scott clapped me on the back, wearing that stupid grin of his. "Whatever you say."

    He and Trent began to walk toward the locker room, chatting animatedly about what drinks to bring and who was driving tonight.

    I stood rooted in place. Ridgemount was still celebrating across the field. Dakota was easy to spot in the middle and I glared at the back of his head.

    "You better watch yourself Anderson." I growled under my breath. "Next time it won't be so easy."

***

    I let out a heavy sigh as Dakota rolled off me. He positioned himself next to me on the bed, both of us panting heavily. The room was hot with the stench of sex hanging in the air.

    "We can't keep doing this," I puffed, waiting for oxygen to reacquaint my lungs. "It's not right."

    Dakota glanced sideways me. "Why? Because we're sworn enemies always out to get each other?"

    "We're lying to our friends. It doesn't feel right."

    Of course it didn't. When did lying ever feel right? My friends and I told each other everything because we trusted one another. That's the way things had been since we were little kids. Keeping this a secret was well out of my moral code and the idea put me on edge.

    Beside me on the mattress, Dakota's laboured breathing matched my own and our bodies were sweaty in the aftermath of our lust. The sheets tangled around our feet from where I'd kicked them to the bottom of the bed.

    Despite my relaxed state, the waves of euphoria rolling off me were quickly turning into heated shame. I thought eventually the pleasure would be enough to override my guilt but old habits die hard. Especially when it came to Dakota Anderson.

    Dakota and I had been hooking up in secret for a little over a year now. I'd lost count of how many times we'd done it after the first six months. Even my memory of how we started was hazy.

    The only recollection I had was a party last year where we'd both been drinking and deep into a heated argument when Dakota's mouth was suddenly on mine. Before I knew what was happening, I'd been shoved up against a wall as Dakota attacked my lips with his own.

    We'd found a spare bedroom and one thing led to another. Not only did I lose my virginity that night, but it was my first time being with a guy. Suspecting you're gay was one thing, but affirming it with your worst enemy only made my skin crawl even more.

    There was so many excuses I could pin the blame on that night: alcohol, resentment, being in the throes of an argument, but I couldn't because I knew what it really came down to.

    At the end of the day, I revelled in the way Dakota's lips felt against mine. His teeth grazing my skin. The weight of his hand on my shoulder, pinning me against the wall as the other came up to tangle in my hair. My mind loathed every inch of him I'd learnt quickly that my body felt differently. It was both exhilarating and humiliating to be taken apart under the flames of hatred.

    One hour and three mental breakdowns later, I came to the conclusion that I was very much attracted to Dakota, so imagine my shock when Dakota revealed he didn't hate the experience either.

    Once the instantaneous period of shock and confusion had passed, coupled with a handful of exhausted threats, Dakota and I agreed that the sex had been fun. It took a while to coax the confession out of Dakota that he wanted it to happen again but it was the truth for both of us. So, that's what we did.

    We kept it a secret purely for the fact that people didn't need to know. My best friends would kill me, my school would hate me for hooking up with the competition and it would all crash and burn. People at school weren't homophobic but I'd only told Scott and Trent last year that I was gay.

    It's not that I was ashamed of my sexuality - though I'd certainly had a few regrets when my best friends thought words of support hadn't been enough and left The Joys of Gay Sex gift wrapped on my pillow with a box of condoms and a sticky note telling me to have fun you beast!!! - but I was ashamed of who I coloured my flag with. No one knew about Dakota. That was my secret alone.

    Dakota respected my wishes in keeping what we did private, but the Ridgemount Captain had unashamedly made his bisexuality well known by tenth grade.

    Being proud of who you are was fantastic but I couldn't shake the feeling of surprise that Dakota had come out so young. Ridgemount Academy was more traditional than Northshore. The students were made to wear uniforms and had a strict code of conduct in attempt to subdue juvenile behaviour. Flaunting your weekly conquests seemed like a good way to rile every policy the Academy stood for.

    But, as most things were when it came to Dakota Anderson, his coming out was received with open arms and high-end praises. Being bisexual only seemed to boost his reputation as it meant he was available to both girls and boys.

    There had never been an issue with Dakota's sexuality. He kept our activities private only for my sake. Even someone like Dakota wasn't cruel enough to out a person without their consent. I couldn't imagine having someone like that in my life.

    Despite the shameful amount of times we'd been inside each other, it wasn't a relationship. That had been made explicit from the very beginning. What Dakota and I did was a complete no-strings attached way to relieve tension and stress. It was a way to let loose with no commitments, and it had been working fine until I started feeling guilty about lying to the people I cared about.

    "What do you want to do, Connor?" Dakota asked, lazily watching me from his side of the bed. "You want to stop? Tell people?"

    "No!" I bolted up. "Absolutely not!"

    Dakota waited, a bored look on his face. He didn't usually offer support when I started to overthink everything. It was one of his many disreputable charms.

    Dakota played with a loose piece of hair over my eyes. "So, you want this to still be a secret?"

    "No, but-"

    "But what?"

    I groaned and fell back on the bed, covering my face with a pillow. Voice muffled, I said, "I don't know. I just feel bad."

    "Can't hear you."

     The pillow fell to the side as I jerked my head sideways to look at him. "I just don't feel right about lying, you know?"

    "What about this is lying?"

    "It's-" I made a flimsy gesture of distress. "I don't know. My virtue? Moral integrity? I promised my friends and my team that I would lead us to victory this year when all I'm doing is sleeping with the competition behind their backs. It feels like treachery."

    "Calm down, Jane Austen. You're not going to win whether you sleep with me or not."

    I glared at him and he snickered. "Thanks for the advice, asshole."

    Dakota sighed. "Maybe we should stop for a while. I don't want things to get serious."

    "I don't want to stop." My arm came up to shield my face from view. "I just need some time to think things over."

    "You thinking has never led to anything good in the past."

    I lowered my arm slightly to glare at him again. "Why does something that feels so good make me feel so bad?"

    "You're spiralling, babe." Dakota replied with an amused smile. He poked my side. "Come back to me."

    I squirmed at his touch but didn't offer a reply. He was right.

    To some people, it might've seemed strange that we used pet names. That was a couple tendency and we certainly weren't a couple. However, since it was just sex and a way to relieve the stress of everyday life, we could act however we wanted as long as it didn't get serious.

    I sighed and closed my eyes. A moment later lips began to trail across my shoulder down to my collarbone and a lazy smile fell over my face.

    "Koda." I moaned, a nickname I'd given Dakota long ago, as he worked his way across my collarbone to the crook of my neck, teasing my sensitive spot with his teeth.

    I sighed in pleasure and tangled my hands through his hair as Dakota ran his hands down my sides.

    It was only when his hand slid lower that my eyes shot open. "Did you lock the door?"

    Dakota looked up with a small smirk. "Yes Connor, I locked the door. I'm not stupid."

    I rolled my eyes and he went back to kissing my neck, biting and sucking on my sweet spot.

    "Thanks a lot, playboy." A laugh escaped me. "I'm going to have to steal my mum's makeup tomorrow to hide that."

    Dakota snorted. "Con, you have your own share of fun just as much as me. Don't even go there. Besides, do you really want me to stop?" His teeth grazed the skin beneath my collarbone.

    "No." I groaned honestly and dug my nails into his back as he worked his way down my chest.

    It was over too soon as Dakota sat up. "We should go. People will start to get suspicious if both of us are gone too long and suddenly appear at the same time."

    I nodded in agreement. We'd been at this party for three hours already and were due for another appearance. I thanked God that everyone was too drunk to pay attention to us right now. Smart Dakota.

     We climbed out of bed and hurriedly dressed. I winced a little when I hit the part of my shin that Dakota kicked earlier during the game.

     Dakota must've heard me because he looked up and smirked. "Oh, I'm sorry, baby. Did I go too rough on you today? I can kiss it better?"

    "Shut up." I snarled as he snickered. Dakota may be my routinely hook-up but he was still a complete jerk.

    Once we were dressed, Dakota left the room first and I followed a moment later as to not look suspicious.

    Making my way downstairs, I found my friends in the kitchen. Trent saw me coming and grinned, yelling over the music, "Hey, Connor! Where'd you disappear to?"

    I said nothing as I took the drink he offered, downing it a moment later. They didn't miss a beat. My smirk spoke volumes.

    "Oh yeah, Connor. Get some!" Scott cheered in his drunken stupor, words slurring as he spoke. Trent and I laughed at his antics.

    As conversation shifted to the upcoming season, my gaze drifted over to the living room. Couches and tables had been pushed back to form a makeshift dance floor where hormonal teenagers were currently grinding on one another. It didn't take me long to spot Dakota in the corner, kissing the life out of a Ridgemount girl. I rolled my eyes. He really did act like a player. Hit it and quit it.

    For the rest of the night I hovered around downstairs, dancing and chatting with people from my school and avoiding Ridgemount kids as if they were an infectious disease.

     It wasn't uncommon for Northshore and Ridgemount to integrate at parties. Our schools shared a district, after all. However, each other's attendance had become more intentional over the years since Dakota and I had become Captains.

    Our schools like to pull pranks and dirty tricks on one another. It was easier to watch your back when you were in close proximity with your attacker. Maybe it was petty but where was the fun if you didn't bring someone down where people could see it happen? As they say, witnesses validate the truth.

    It was close to one o'clock in the morning when I hauled Trent and Scott out of the house and to Trent's car. Scott was in no state to be out any longer but Trent was only a little dazed. It was my turn to be the designated driver out of three of us so I jumped into the driver's seat and got us on the road.

    I drove my friends home, taking them inside and alerting their parents so they knew their kids were home and to look after them. I also didn't want to deal with Scott flirting with a lamp post any longer. Listening to your best friend tell an inanimate object that it had a big pole and could be turned on any time of day was not something one should ever have to hear.

    When I arrived home, I quietly opened the door to a dark house and crept up the stairs. My parents were asleep and if I woke them, they would kill me.

    There were no problems passing my parents' room but my foot creaked on a floorboard outside my own bedroom. I held my breath but no one came out so I let it out and quietly closed the door behind me once inside.

     I took a quick shower, being sure to wash the stench of sex from my body before climbing out and throwing on a pair of shorts with no shirt. My head was about to hit the pillow when my phone suddenly beeped on my bedside table.

    Rolling over, I snatched it up to see I had a text from none other than Dakota himself.

    I could practically see Dakota smirking as he typed the message and the thought irritated me. Instead of humouring him with a response, I rolled my eyes and tossed my phone back on the small table. Leave it to Dakota to find a way to annoy me without even being physically present.

    With the satisfaction of knowing he was probably going to be annoyed that I didn't respond, I rolled over and drifted off to sleep with no intention of waking up any time soon.

***
VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE

What did you guys think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

593K 20.7K 38
Lacrosse is a tough and competitive sport for Californian teenagers. The struggle with popularity and acceptance is already bad enough. Add in the fa...
106K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
523K 19.3K 38
BoyxBoy The quarterback and the cheerleader. Sound's like the perfect couple, doesn't it? So what happens when the heartthrob quarterback and the p...
2.1M 33.8K 19
Finn had finally done it. He had saved enough money to attend the town's all-boys school. After years of bullying from the public school, he was ecst...