A Witch, A Knight and The Bla...

By KokoroDesiree

Kumiko was about to get her revenge, show HIM that she didn't need him anymore either, when a yellow-eyed cat... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 5

445 25 31
By KokoroDesiree

There was a creak from the floorboards downstairs and the tiny squeak of the door hinges as the door was closed. The small girl jumped up from her bed and scrambled down the stairs to see her brother return from his apprenticeship. He was hanging up his belt and sword with an exhausted sigh.

"Mitsu-nii," the girl beamed.

Turning around the boy gave his sister a half smile and said, "I'm home."

"Welcome back," Kumiko said.

Dropping into a nearby chair Mitsuhide ran a hand through his hair. Kumiko could tell that he had something he needed say, so she pulled up the small kitchen stool and sat across from him.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"No, it's great news actually," he half laughed. Kumiko leaned in extremely curious to hear what he had to say. Mitsuhide wrung his hands together as he took a steadying breath.

"Well?" Kumiko eagerly prompted.

Grinning Mitsuhide said, "I got the job at the palace. I'm going to be a palace soldier."

Kumiko jumped to her feet clapping and cheering. "That's great! This is your dream," she beamed.

"I know," Mitsuhide chuckled at her outburst. It had been years since he had seen his younger sister so excited, and it wasn't for herself.

"When do you start?" she asked.

Ruffling his hair he replied, "Tomorrow morning."

Kumiko's eyes widened as she dropped her waving hands. "That soon? Then we have to celebrate tonight. I'll be right back!" she frantically said.

Scrambling around the small den Kumiko gathered her shawl, wallet and shoes. As she pulled on her boots she dropped and picked up her small change purse several times before she reached the door.

"Kumi-chan where are you going?" he called after her.

"Cake! We need cake," she said.

"Don't," Mitsuhide began.

"I'll be right back. Promise," she smiled back at him.

Kumiko was skipping out the door before Mitsuhide could recover from her glowing expression. She ran the whole way to the bakery, knowing fully well that Seren-san still had an assortment of cupcakes left. The girl couldn't hide her pride or excitement for her brother's success as she bought the sweets and hurried towards home.

The smile was quickly lost when Kumiko tripped, dropping the box and landing hard on the stones. As she sat up dark laughter surrounded her sending a cold chill down her spine.

"Whaddaya got there Witch? Ingredients for your next spell?" Jin spat.

"We can't let her curse another person," the boy with him muttered.

Jin leered down at her. "You're right."

Kumiko couldn't remember exactly what happened other than the dark faces that hovered over her as she screamed and cried around her shawl that was shoved into her mouth. When she was finally released with death threats promised as Jin and his friend ran off Kumiko pushed herself to her feet to see the shower of black and silver hair pool at her feet. Wiping the back of her hand across her face she tried to pull herself together, brushing off the rest of the cut locks -her hair now shorter than her brother's- and wrapping her tear and drool damp shawl around her head. After twelve -she counted- deep breaths to steady her quaking nerves Kumiko made her way home.

She quietly entered the house, Mitsuhide busy polishing his boots, so she tried to sneak up to her room without being seen. An old floor board betrayed her though.

"Kumi-chan? Where's the cake?" Mitsuhide playfully called.

She refused to turn around her hands twisting into the ends of her shawl. "Um, sorry. Seren-san was out when I got there. The celebration will have to wait," she quickly lied.

She heard him stand as he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said.

"Kumi-chan," he started.

She dashed up stairs locking her door behind her as Mitsuhide chased after her. He pounded at her door demanding answers, but she said nothing as she tossed her shawl aside and stared at the horror that was her head in the mirror.

Suddenly her door flew open, Mitsuhide having picked the lock. Kumiko spun around to see him froze in the doorway with wide eyes.

"I took care of it," she blurted out.

"What?" he questioned.

"I did this to stop those guys from bugging me. I handled it," Kumiko explained.

Mitsuhide eyed her for a long time before nodding and leaving her alone to somehow mend the mess. Kumiko wasn't sure if he bought her lie, but he had never questioned one of her stories before. Mitsuhide had stopped running to her rescue when he started his apprenticing.

Her brother -with his few visits- never looked at her the same.

Those cold and distant eyes haunted Kumiko, feeding her anger and plaguing her dreams. Jerking awake from the unwanted memory she pushed her hair and hood out of her face as she gulped down the cool spring air. Heart racing and forehead damp Kumiko glanced around at her surroundings jumping when she saw two bright yellow eyes staring at her.

"Gah," she hissed. Covering her face with her hands Kumiko sat up and crossed her legs. As she lowered her hands to her knees she narrowed her gaze and said, "What are you doing Obi?"

"Hanging around," he smirked.

"Go away," she huffed.

"I found something of yours," Obi said.

Lifting his right hand he held up the broken hilt half of the wooden sword Kumiko had dumped. Her eyes widened slightly as she bit her cheek.

"You can keep it if that's what you wanted to know," she muttered.

Obi chuckled, "You're funny Little Mitsuhide."

Kumiko's hand shot out to flick Obi's forehead, but he dodged as she shot, "It's Kumiko!"

Bounding to his feet he waved the wooden hilt over his head while grinning down at her. "I have an idea," he said.

Arching a brow she mouthed, "Oh?"

"We're going to duel," he announced.

"Huh? With what?"

"Our hands," he answered.

Dropping the broken hilt Obi took a fierce combat stance, yellow eyes elite with the prospect of victory. Kumiko didn't respond at first, she thought it was just another one of Obi's weird jokes, but after he took a swing at her Kumiko jumped into action.

She dodged the first punch, throwing her body to the left and rolling onto her feet. Spinning on the ball of her right foot Kumiko kicked at Obi's hip, yet he countered smoothly with a kick of his own. Springing apart Kumiko eyed Obi who immediately jump into his next attack. Elbowing and side swiping, Kumiko barely avoided both as she collide into her napping tree.

Obi jumped into the air ready to kick her, but his foot hit the trunk while Kumiko pulled herself up into the branches of the tree. Swinging from limb to limb Kumiko avoided each of Obi's advances until they reached the last few branches that could support them.

"You know I didn't agree to this," Kumiko panted as they stared at one another.

"You're grinning," Obi pointed out.

"I know," Kumiko said.

There was a creak as Kumiko shifted her stance to pounce at Obi, but just as her feet pushed down on the branch there was a loud crack. Suddenly there was nothing supporting Kumiko, sending her tumbling downward. She bounced and crashed into limbs as she fell, but her downward spiral was stopped when Obi grabbed her around the waist with one arm and gripped a nearby branch with the other.

Kumiko stared wide eyed at the uninterrupted plummet to the ground. It was at least a five yard drop, and she knew she wouldn't have landed it correctly. Her heart had jumped into her throat as it frantically drummed while the two of them hung there.

"You okay?" Obi grunted.

"Y-Yeah," Kumiko breathed. "Nice catch," she laughed shakily.

Glancing up at him Kumiko was answered with a crooked half smile that made her already misplaced heart leap even higher. The girl could have sworn the organ broke free of her body as her head went light and her pulse reached a new speed.

"Ready?" Obi asked.

Shaking away the fog that had started to cloud her mind, Kumiko nodded and said, "Do it."

Then Obi dropped her. Kumiko landed shakily, falling onto her butt as a sharp sting of pain shot up her left leg. A curse hissed out of her mouth as she lifted her leg to inspected it, while Obit landed next to her.

Her pants had been torn along with a gash that ran from the inside of her ankle to the middle of her shin. Blood turning the fabric sticky as Kumiko tried to pull it aside to get a better look. She groaned as the movement made the pain worse.

Obi didn't say anything as he scooped her up and began walking towards the medical wing. Kumiko's face heated as she looked over at his taut expression.

"What are you doing?" she questioned.

"Getting you to Gazelt-san," he replied.

"You don't have to carry me," she protested.

"You'll make the wound worse," he flatly countered.

"Why do you care?" Kumiko challenged. Despite her annoyed tone she had already settled into his arms, allowing herself to be carried.

"You want your sword back," he stated.

The crease between Kumiko's brows smoothed as she stared at him, taken off guard by his answer.

"You can't fight on a bum leg, and I won't have you blaming me if you lose," he half joked.

Crossing her arms as best she could in her cramped state Kumiko muttered, "I'm not going to lose. A bum leg isn't going to stop me."

Obi chuckled, "I'm not surprised."

Kumiko adverted her gaze as she continued to pout, though she wasn't sure why, while she felt the back of her neck and the tips of her ears burned with an emotion that she was sure wasn't embarrassment.

"Thanks," she murmured.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 933 18
Shirayuki was never intrigued in the affairs of the people around her nor in their relations. Her job was to treat people and to provide them treatme...
11 0 7
Where in a soulless orb ventures upon Clarines after a conflict with the 1st prince of Tonberun with her red head friend. She meets new friends that...
8.9K 414 22
Kialani is a huntress of rare blood with a mysterious past. when she finds out her red haired friend ran away to clarines she follows her only to be...
58 1 15
Is true love worth it? In a moment of time, a twist of fate can bring two people close together or worlds apart. The Evil Queen will see to it, that...