Love is All; Love is New

By insertwittynamehere

"Florence Lopp!" Dumbledore screams, as the fifth peice of paper flies out of the Goblet of Fire. Florence's... More

All is Love; All is New.
Two: The First Day.
Three: Unforgivable and Unspeakable.
Four: Waiting.
Five: New faces.
Seven: Entries
Eight: Halloween.
Nine: Rules and Regulations.
Ten: Forming of Sides.
Eleven: Publicity

Six: Dining

4.5K 130 15
By insertwittynamehere

"I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable." Dumbledore says, from his usual spot in the front of the Great Hall.

I hear a loud laugh coming from the Ravenclaw table. The Beauxbaton girls look at Dumbledore with amusement. What, be comfortable here? Ridiculous.

I clench my jaw and send a look to Fallon. He doesn't seem to notice their snooty attitude. He just stares at them, practically drooling all over the place. I roughly step on his foot, nearly sending him a foot in the air. He shoots me a hurt and surprised look.

"Keep your tongue in your mouth, please?" I hiss at him, crossing my arms.

But, my bitter glare is replaced by a shy smile when Viktor looks over his shoulder at me, flashing me a charming smile. I nearly melt in my seat.

"Keep your tongue in your mouth, please?" Fallon mimics me, whispering in my ear. I just shoot him an elbow and tune back into Dumbledore.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," Dumbledore announces, sending everyone into a chorus of whispers, " I now invite you all to eat, drink and make yourselves at home!" He claps his hand and takes a seat, engaging into conversation with Karkaroff immediately.

The visitors can't help but to gasp as the food appears on the platters in front of them. I smirk, mostly directed towards the Beauxbatons, proudly.

"Are these your friends?" Viktor asks me, helping himself to the meat. He looks to Skye and Fallon.

"Yes, Skye Kennings is the name." Skye eagerly holds her hand out. Viktor lets out a hearty laugh, and takes her hand, kissing it. She lets out a giggle and her cheeks turn a deep red.

"And, I'm Fallon Avix," Fallon holds out his hand for Viktor as well. Viktor nods and gives him a firm handshake. I watch Fallon wince as Viktor lets go, he shakes his hand out. And, I let out a small laugh. But, he just puffs his chest out.

"And, these are your friends?" I ask, looking at the two boys near us.

"Yes, These are my comrades, Demitri and Ivan." Viktor points to them. Ivan, who is seated next to Skye, gives me a charming smile. Then, Demitri takes my hand and kisses it.

"Very nice to meet you, Florence," Demitri smiles, pronouncing my name 'Flor-ee-ence'. I just give him a charming smile in return.

Conscious of the Durmstrang boys watchful eyes, I make sure not to load my plate too full. I need to be as lady-like as possible, as ridiculous as that sounds. Skye, obviously doing the same thing, barely picks at her meal. She just keeps smiling at the boys, Viktor in specific.

"So, vot is it that you do here for fun?" Viktor asks,

"Well, we go to Hogsmeade, a small village on the school grounds, to have some butterbeers, or we go to Quidditch matches," Skye speaks up.

The Durmstrang boys' ears perk up at the mention of Quidditch. Of course Viktor would be interested.

"You play Quidditch here?" He asks, taken back. Duh, what type of people do you think we are.

"We have four Quidditch teams, yes." I answer. Skye rolls her eyes. I can almost hear her groaning, 'Here we go,'.

"And, do you have any good players here?" He asks, his face pulled into a confident grin. I open my mouth to praise Slytherin's teams, but Fallon cuts me off.

"Well, you're looking at Hogwart's best player now," He smiles, looking at me. My cheeks turn a deep red.

"You?" Viktor asks, shocked once again,

"I play, yes. But, I wouldn't say-" I start to correct him, but now Skye cuts me off.

"She's fantastic. It's her life, basically." She smirks at me. I could kill Fallon and her. I neverbuild myself up in front of possible threats. Krum is good. He's really good, and if they build me up, then he could get a bad first impression of me.

"But, you are so very tiny." He frowns. Fallon and Skye burst out into loud laughter, making me send them a bitter glare. Demitri and Ivan even join in.

"You don't need to be tall to be a great Quidditch player," I reply, a smirk forming on my features.

If anyone else would have said that to me, it would have taken all of my will to refrain from punching them in the face. But, Viktor just seems... so clueless. I can't help but to find it rather charming.

"Ah, yes, very true. So, vot do you play?" He asks, getting more and more intruiged by me.

"Seeker," I reply, before taking a bite from some sort of fancy pudding. This time, it's Viktor's turn to let out a hearty laugh.

"Viktor, looks like you have some competition!" Ivan laughs, joined by Demitri. Viktor just throws his head back with laughter. Students from all over, look to us with envy. I can even see Elliot narrowing his eyes at me.

I just smirk at Viktor. He is going to have some competition, and he's not going to know what hit him.

"Vell, Ve have to play a match sometime," He suggests, puffing his chest out with confidence, trying to intimidate me, but I just keep my head up tall.

"You have yourself a deal," I hold out my hand for him to shake. He shakes with laughter, then grips my hand in his, shaking it.

His hand is much larger, and much rougher than mine. I try to hide the pinkness in my cheeks as his touch sends tingles all over my body. But, Skye kicks me under the table and flashes me a quick smile, sending my cheeks to flush again.

* * * *

We finish dinner quickly, everyone still strung up with excitement. I can tell the Durmstrang students are getting more and more comfortable. They sit more relaxed, as if they are back in Bulgaria. But, the Beauxbaton students still sit uncomfortably in their seats. They all speak only to each other, not interacting with the Ravenclaws at all. I can tell the Ravenclaws aren't too enthused to have to sit near them.

Towards the end of dinner, two members of the Ministry joined the teachers at the head table; Ludo Bagman and Mr. Crouch. I overheard Draco explaining to his friends that since the death toll has been so high in the past, the Ministry is getting more involved than ever. I watch the two men sit beside Karkaroff, watching the student body carefully.

"The moment has come," Dumbledore announces, as soon as every plate on the tables has been wiped clean. Everyone quiets down in a matter of seconds. Everyone leans forwards, waiting for Dumbledore to give more information on the Tournament, "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket, just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports."

Everyone, including me, clapped significantly louder for Ludo Bagman. He's in charge of the Quidditch World Cup. Any man in charge of that, is a man I respect. Plus, Bagman is one of the greatest Beaters that's been. Elliot has a vintage poster of him in his room. Maybe after I play Quidditch professionally, I'll be in charge of it all in the Ministry?

"Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts."

I can't help but to wriggle around in my seat as he says the word, 'champion'. Come on, old man, get on with it! I don't know how much longer I can sit here, waiting.

"The casket, then, if you please, Mr. Filch," Dumbledore smiles, sensing our impatience.

Filch hobbles over, where he was standing completely unnoticed, from his corner of the Great Hall. He carries with him a grand wooden chest, encrusted with dazzling jewels. My pulse quickens and I look over to my shoulder at Fallon.

"Blimey," I hiss at him, and he smiles at me, before Dumbledore continues,

"The instructionsn for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman, and they have made the necessary arrangements for each challenge." He explains, as Filch heaves the heavy looking chest on the table in front of Dumbledore, "There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways; their magical prowess- their daring- their powers of education- and, of course, their ability to cope with danger."

I hold my breath, unable to move. I don't think I see another person jittering either. I get goosebumps on my arms, and a quick chill down my spine. 'Ability to cope with danger'... Did I have that ability? I've never been in a dangerous situation...

"As you know, three champions compete in the tournament, one from each of the participating schools," Dumbledore looks at our visitors, smiling at us all, "They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: The Goblet of Fire."

We all watch, in complete awe, as he taps his wand against the chest three times. Then, the top creaks open, painfully slow. I strain to see over everyone's heads. I hear Fallon snickering as I get to my feet. But, I don't even take my eyes off of the chest long enough to send him a dirty look.

From inside the chest, Dumbledore pulls out a large cup, that almost looks plain. But then, I watch as blu-ish flames hiss out of the top of it. I can't help but to gasp, and my pulse quickens even more. He closes the chest, and places the magical cup on top of it, for everyone to watch in wonder.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet. Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete."

It will be sitting here all night. I'm not going to get any sleep, knowing that I could put my name in it. But, I don't know if I'm brave enough. I bet everyone will be watching and laughing. How could someone my size even think for a moment that they are good enough to be Hogwarts' Champion?

"To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line." Dumbledore firmly states, clearly looking to Fred and George Weasley.

But the twins keep that innocent, sly smile on their faces. They don't let on that they're up to something, when they so clearly are. But, other younger students look down in disappointment.

"Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obligedto see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion." Dumbledore says, pleading to us all that we take this seriously,

"Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet," He points a finger at us all, but then he relaxes his shoulders, "Now, I think it's time for bed. Good night to you all." He says with a curt nod of the head.

I crack my knuckles; a nervous habit. Fallon takes notice and sends me a confused look, but I pretend not to notice and I stand up.

People gush to their friends, speaking frantically of the tournament. Others speak about our visitors. Girls look over their shoulders to get one last look at Viktor before going to bed.

"Back to the ship then," Karkaroff hurries over to our table, trying to round up all of his students, then he turns towards our group, "Viktor, how are you feeling? Did you eat enough? Should I send for some mulled wine from the kitchens?" He asks, looking at Viktor with worry. I fight back the urge to snort.

I've never seen a teacher waiting on a student like some kind of slave. What I wouldn't give to have Professor Snape asking me if I would like some mulled wine sent to my dormitory.

Viktor shakes his head, 'no', and puts his large fur coat back on.

"Professor, I vood like some vine," A Durmstrang boy speaks up from down at the other end of the table, his voice full of hope. But, Karkaroff snaps his head over to him, disgusted.

"I wasn't offering it to you, Poliakoff," He raises his voice, changing his mood completely. Perhaps he has some sort of personality disorder? "I noticed you have dribbled food all down the front of your robes again, you disgusting boy," He spits out.

I can't help but to raise my eyebrows. I even hear Fallon clear his throat, uncomfortably. The other Durmstrang boys keep their eyes down, politely. But, Viktor looks at me, completely oblivious of the whole thing.

Karkaroff then stomps off, the Durmstrang boys on his heels, heading towards the doors. Fallon, Skye and I follow behind them, on our way to our dorms as well. Viktor stays towards the back of the ground, much to Karkaroff's disappointment. He keeps looking over his shoulder at me.

I watch as Karkaroff speaks to Harry Potter. Then, Karkaroff's eyes bulge, as if he was seeing his own ghost in front of him. The other Durmstrang boys whisper to eachother and stare at Harry, curiously. Oh, brother.

"Is that-" Viktor leans over to whisper in my ear, but then a distinct knocking sound rings out. I turn around to see Professor Moody approaching.

"Yeah, that's Harry Potter," Moody snaps at the Durmstrang lot, looking at Viktor with bitterness.

Karkaroff whips around to look Moody in the face. He looks as if he's going to be sick. A wave of anger and fear wash over his features.

"You!" Karkaroff shouts, lifting an unsure finger at him.

"Me," Moody rolls his eyes- er- eye? "And unless you have anything to say to Potter, Karkaroff, you might want to move. You're blocking the doorway," He says, in that know-it-all tone that he uses so often.

I follow Karkaroff's eyes to look behind us. Majority of the student body was waiting impatiently behind the Durmstrang group. Many straining their necks to see what's going on. I just keep silent and wait for more excitement to erupt.

Karkaroff storms off, his neat fur coat billowing behind him. The Durmstrang students scurry after him, and Fallon, Skye and I follow closely behind them.

"Flor-ee-ence," Viktor calls out, as we head towards our Slytherin dungeon. He steps away from the Durmstrang group, and they take notice, waiting for him. "Good night, and I shall see you tomorrow?" He asks me, and bows his head.

As the other students, including some Hogwarts' students, watch us carefully, my cheeks turn red and I look down to my shoes.

"Yes, you shall. Good night," I look up, tucking my hair behind my ear. He takes a step forward, but I quickly take off with Fallon and Skye, not letting him kiss my hand as he was hoping. He crinkles his brow and watches me walk away briskly.

"Don't say a word," I warn Fallon and Skye, gritting my teeth as I can feel their amused eyes on my embarrassed face.

Skye can't help but to let out one of her famous giggles, which causes Fallon to laugh as well. And my cheeks just keep getting a deeper and deeper scarlet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 4.5K 37
Clarissa Argent was ready for a new year at Hogwarts, and she couldn't wait to see her best friends: Harry Potter, Ron And Ginny Weasley. What she do...
83K 1.9K 20
When a half veela-witch enters her 7th year at Beauxbatons. Her school goes to Hogwarts for the Triwizard tournament and is reunited with the man who...
22.1K 516 19
Magic, Fantastic beasts, Adventure, Quidditch and Mischief.. These are the things that make Alexandra Karkaroff's world go round. This is her 5th ye...