The Passion of London [Highla...

By kitsumiekat

HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales o... More

Chapter 1 - Picture of Evie
Chapter 2 - Photo of Connor
Chapter 3 - Photo of Hammond
Chapter 4 - Photo of Amelia
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 - Picture of Amhuinn
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue
Authors Note 2

Chapter 17

23.4K 1.2K 81
By kitsumiekat

For the thirtieth time that day, Connor cursed as he tried to move, but was held down by a surprisingly strong Gillian whilst their old, frail healer tended to the open wound on the back of his head. Internally, he cursed himself, and everything around him. How could he have been so distracted by the allure that was his Evie, that he didn't even notice the unusual silence, with nary a greeting by the sentries at the gates when he had approached the edges of their walls?

Recognising his agitation, Hammond patted his best friend's shoulder whilst he watched Agatha dab on the last of the herbal concoction. "Rest easy, captain. I shall-"

"Nae, I shall not rest. Evie had been my responsibility, I need to see her returned."

"Ye are in nae condition to go anywhere."

"I have been through worst, Hammond, ye know that." Connor argued, and would've knocked old Agatha over had Hammond not been quick enough to grab his flailing arms, forcing them back to the bed firmly. "Connor, Evie is my cousin. Technically, she is my responsibility, nae yours."

"I was with her when she was taken. How could I have been so careless?" his guilt surfaced in his tone, a note in which Hammond recognised very well. He himself had internalised the guilt, his parents death still sat heavily on his shoulders, and how he had not been enough to keep his father alive for himself and his sister. Sighing, the laird released his grip with a warning look at Connor. "At least let Agatha see to that head of yours. I have scouts out searching for her trail. Once they return and report, we can go together."

---

The gust of fresh air that engulfed Evie the moment her head was taken out of the burlap sack they had tossed over her was a welcome one. Knowing her hair probably looked like a rat's nest did nothing to diminish the scowl she wore as her vision was returned, and eyes immediately fell on a couple of large Highlanders who wore satisfied smirks on their faces. 

"What do you want with me?"

The moment she spat out her words however, the satisfied smirks immediately turned to shocked faces. Gaelic began to fly once the shock had died off, with Evie only managing to catch a few words from her brief lessons with Gillian. Catching words like 'how', 'mistake' and 'sister' did not provide much clues, with the voices growing in volume until she had enough. "Could someone please tell me what is going on?"

It was quite a feat to be heard over the loud voices of uncouth Highlanders, but somehow her voice echoed over the rafters of the shoddy, rather unkempt castle, surprising them all into silence until a male of a smaller size compared to the large and firmly built Highlanders stepped forward. "Who are ye?" His blond hair was unkempt, with streaks of brown dimming the bright blond. Bronze eyes blinked in confusion as he peered at Evie, a gaze that seemed piercing and curious at the same time.

"I'm Evelyn Verrick, daughter to Viscount of Karlsborough, Gregory Verrick." Somehow, instinct said she shouldn't be mentioning her connection to the MacKenzie's just yet.

Confusion seeped its way into the faces of the foreign Highlanders who had bound her wrists behind her, and tossed her unceremoniously on the back of a horse after taking her from the gardens of the MacKenzie Keep. "Ye are not the sister of Hammond MacKenzie?"

"No, I am not her. I am.. a visitor of the MacKenzie Keep, simply staying here for a week. Why did you bring me here?"

"Fer... Fer a visit."

"A visit?!" Evie echoed in surprise, blinking. "Do you Highlanders always truss up your guests like a chicken ready for roasting then?"

"Nae. Release the lady now." At his command, a few men rushed forward and within seconds, Evie was rubbing her chafed wrists as the male who had previously addressed her came forward. "Apologies, Lady Evelyn. I'm Bryce Drummond, son to the laird for the Drummond clan. We were... looking for someone else, and you were taken by mistake."

"You were planning to take another lady captive?"she asked again, feigning shock as the cogs in her head turned. From what she's  gleaned over the month they had travelled together and conversed, Evie remembered that the Drummonds were at odds with the MacKenzie's. So who were they planning to take?

"We... Tis a long story, my lady. As a way of apology, I would like to invite ye to sup with us this noon. If ye would follow Tricia over there, she will bring you to a room to freshen up before the meal is served." His charming attitude was a stark difference from what Evie had been introduced to. A quick glance around also showed that the rest of the room still displayed hostility to her, something that Bryce Drummond somehow did not show with the bright smile and a hand extended to her.

While her skin crawled to even touch the supposed enemy of her cousin, Evie knew that as of now, she had little choice in the manner. Slipping her hand to the offered palm, her stiff posture should be enough to display her reluctance, but it was apparent that the Drummond clan heir was either obtuse or just didn't want to mention it, as he passed her to the timid looking maid to lead her up. Any attempts at conversation by Evie to the maid on their journey up was pointless, for the mousey looking girl kept her mouth shut throughout brushing Evie's bright red locks, and dressing her in a pale peach gown which had somehow appeared as she had freshened up behind a screen.

As she scrubbed herself and let the maiden tightened the stays behind the new dress, the girl's mind couldn't help but wander to Connor. The last thing she remembered before the burlap sack had been rudely tossed over head was a male holding a wooden club coming up behind him. She had wanted to shout a warning to him, but had only managed a scream as she was caught off guard with a rope. What had happened to him? Did anyone notice they were gone, or was he still left in the gardens? Oh, she hoped someone would notice his condition, for she wasn't sure how bad the blow to his head was. Was he alright? 

The sun was well abovehead and diminishing some of the morning chill by the time she made her way down again, red hair now curled and piled into another loose chignon on her head. While the interior of the keep and the hall seemed largely similar to what she had seen the day before upon her arrival at MacKenzie Keep, it was the rowdy people that caught Evie off guard.

With no apparent order or guide, Highlanders with opened shirts passed trenchers around, with the table messy with slop and fallen food scraps. Their dogs, shaggy and massive looking beasts traipses around the bottom of the long tables lined up in the great hall. Women were seated off to a corner, looking rather meek and unassuming, making Evie wonder further if they even treated their ladies as equals. Frowning as she took in all of this, a loud clap dimmed the loud cacophony that overwhelmed the hall, drawing her attention to where Bryce Drummond, now dressed instead of the leather plates he wore earlier, smiled as he made his way to her. "Glad you could join us, Lady Evelyn. Do excuse the mess, we aren't used to receiving visitors here."

"And why is that... Mister Drummond?"

"Oh please, call me Bryce. My father is unwell, so please excuse his absence." the blond haired Highlander deposited her in a seat next to the head of the main table, and then took the seat on her left, just as the volume escalated again with their seating. "The Drummond Castle isn't... exactly the most welcome, among the Highlanders, that is."

"And may I know why... Bryce?"

"We've been sadly, misunderstood. See, we've always been a clan that wanted to help." He picked up his goblet of mulled wine, and then raised a brow as he noticed that Evie hadn't touched anything. "Is the food not to your liking,  my lady? I can get the kitchen to prepare more."

In truth, Evie simply had no stomach for the food, or anything else for that matter. For one, she fretted over Connor's condition and how things were like back at the Keep. At the same time, unlike the vibe she got in MacKenzie Keep where the air was friendly, warm, and the servants in the castle willingly worked for their laird, the maids looked wary of the brutish Highlanders surrounding them, and the women were shelved to a side as if they were a final option. Messy couldn't even begin to describe the place, and the whole aura just made Evie shiver.

As polite as she could, she shook her head but urged the younger Drummond to continue his story, curiosity getting the better of her. Misinterpreting it as interest in him, he gave a slick smile that only made Evie force a smile as he continued "We've been sadly misunderstood, as I was saying my lady. See, we Highlanders are supposed to be helpful, but I'm afraid my brethren have been misled by war and violence, for the clans surrounding me are constantly on my backs, so ye see, our taking ye was a mistake and one that was done out of self defense."

"Self defense my arse." A voice boomed across the hall, causing a flurry of weapons before the owner of the voice made himself clear by stepping into the hall. Dressed in his furs, hand on the claymore sheathed at his waist, Hammond MacKenzie cut an imposing figure as he was followed by a few other of his clansmen. But what caught Evie's breath and took it away was the man who stood behind him. He looked pale, his lips cracked and his breathing looking labored and heavy under the leather strappings, but even despite the unkempt look, a wild light in his eyes as they scanned the expanse of the hall, as if looking for something.

When they finally fell on Evie's figure, the relief that flooded the dark onyxes was palpable, something that made Evie's breathe catch as their eyes met and despite the distance, she could see the way his shoulders relax and geared up at the same time, as if steely determination was flooding his muscles and bones. 

"I think ye have something that's supposed to be mine, Drummond."

"Oh, and what could that be? As far as I can see, I only have a guest at my place, MacKenzie, and she is a willing one.

"Are ye, cousin?"

"Cousin?!" Bryce Drummond's shock suffused through his voice all to the surprised gaze that turned to Evie. Realizing her cover was blown, Evie tried to dart immediately to her right to get away, foiled when two Drummond warriors grabbed her by her arms and held her up, leaving her legs to dangle uselessly below her as she struggled futilely in their grasp.

Hearing swords being unsheathed, her eyes turned to them to see Hammond's pinched look. "Let her go, Drummond." It was a menacing voice from her cousin, but it was Connor's murderous light in his gaze that made her heart skip a beat. Without wasting a moment, a melee was immediately started as claymore's clashed, sound of metal against metal making chills crawl up the gentle-hearted girl. She continued her struggle, but it was all for naught as one of the Drummond's tucked her under his arm despite her wriggling.

It wasn't a sight that went unnoticed by Connor, however. As if every sense of his was trained on to every cell of Evie Verrick's body, the moment he had stepped in, Connor had acted like a hunting dog on his prey, scanning until his gaze found the precious mat of red locks whose brightness could belong to no one but that pint sized girl he's come to associate with all things good and bright in the world. The last scream he had heard from her had been resounding in his head all through Agatha's ministrations of him, Hammond sorting through the reports from the scouts and then arranging the men who would stay back and guard the Keep while the rest of them rode to the Drummonds. While Connor would usually be at the forefront of all the arrangements and management, this time he could do nothing but sit back and fret. His head pounded, his vision occasionally blurred, but nothing could've stopped him from mounting a horse even if Hammond had vehemently went against him.

He was at the greatest danger of going against his laird for the first time, had the redhead MacKenzie finally given in, and allowed Connor to come on the one condition that he stays close by at all times.

The sight of Evie being unceremoniously hoisted under the arms of a brutish Drummond had him almost close to breaking even that promise though. Peering through the clash of his blade against another, he tightened his jaw against the pounding headache that threatened to consume him, pushed as hard as he could to topple his opponent and called out Hammond's name. "Evie!" he threw as a caution, willing Hammond's gaze to follow him.

Once they did, the two moved as if one entity, slashing and cutting a swath through the growing group of fighting Drummonds. While they won in number, the MacKenzie's won through skill. The Drummonds were famed for liking their drink and bedsport a little more than their need to practice in the field. While they were strong, they lacked the skill Hammond pounded deep into the heads and muscle memory of his warriors. Easily sidestepping and outwitting their adversaries, Hammond scowled when he finally got to the dais of the main table.

"It would do ye good to leave my cousin be, else ye may find yerself in a verra unfavourable postion." It was a thoroughly menacing tone Evie had never heard uttered in her cousin's voice before. The Hammond she knew was firm, but gentle and sweet, and Evie had been disappointed that Amelia had not voiced out any wish to come with her. The threat she heard growled out now however, made her almost pity her assailant, had he not knocked her hair loose and in the process almost brained her against the corner of the table as he had swung her around. As it was, she was in danger of losing an eye at the way he backed while waving his claymore wildly, obviously feeling quite cornered in the eyes of a devil-like MacKenzie.

"St-stay back, or-or our laird will come for ye."

"Oh will he? Doesna seem so." Hammond's only warning was a step of his feet, before Evie found the grip around her waist loosening. She would've fallen to the ground had a pair of strong arms not grabbed her by her shoulders, yanking her to her feet before shoving her to be received by another pair of firm arms enclosing themselves around her shoulders and against a very firm chest. "Bring her  away from here. We'll leave once ye are on yer horses!"

Once again, she found herself being pulled off her feet, a squeak escaping while she automatically clasped arms around the neck when the ground was stolen from her. Before she knew it, she was now hauled tightly against a chest, an arm anchoring her around her waist as she was thrust directly into a melee of swords, sweat and loud curses. Evie's eyes almost fell out when she saw a sword slice an arm clean off. A gasp must have escaped her, for a soft voice immediately brushed its breath against her ears as her carrier spoke, "Close yer eyes lass. I'll make sure ye get home safely."

"Connor! Are you alright? You must have gotten hit too, why are you here?" Evie's words fell out on top of each other the moment she noticed who exactly it was carrying her as he fought off other assailants with his free arm. His voice, she would've recognised even in the middle of the loudest battle. He had smiled, looking quite amused at her concern, blocking and jabbing at another Drummond before replying. "I'm here to ensure ye are safe, o'course. Did ye think I wouldna come?"

She flushed at his question, and squeaked again, turning instinctively to bury her head in his shoulder as Connor disarmed the younger Drummond and used his heel to kick him away. It went against his warrior's honor to hurt anyone younger then eighteen, and he briefly wondered if Drummond was still mad to use young boys in his mad crusade, before returning his attention to the clearly displaced Evie. Even in the middle of trying to stay alive, Connor marvelled at how her flushed cheeks and wide-eyed look of mild terror had him wishing he could haul her next to him and never let go.

In fact, he wasn't too sure if he'd be able to let go after this.

Slashing at two more incoming enemies, he turned to jab the hilt of his claymore against each of their chest to wind them, and proceeded to knock them out by whacking their heads against the wall, all while moving forward towards the hall's exit. By then, even the English was realising that the MacKenzie's had been slowly closing ranks around them as they backed up, even Hammond was moving back as he fought. "Are you guys retreating?"

"Nae, this isna called retreating." A grim look crossed his face, kicking away another enemy before he turned and dashed across the last length to race down the steps and reach the waiting horses. Grabbing the nearest, he more or less tossed Evie into it and vaulted on himself, as the rest of their kin ran to their respective horses and got on. Righting her so she sat nestled between his legs, in no time at all, Evie felt the jolt as the horses all broke into a gallop, leaving a mess of writhing bodies and an opened castle behind them. All the while, the arm around Evie's waist never left, as if Connor was loathe to let his grip on her go.

"Then what is it called?"

"We needed to retrieve something precious, something we canna lose. Something I canna lose." The husky timbre of his voice deepened at the final words, the meaning of which making her flush as it sunk in. "I'm sorry for causing all of you so much trouble."

"Nae, dinna be sorry lass. Tis I who wasna more careful when we were oot. I shoulda noticed how none of our sentries seemed alert, for we always have them near the gates." The breakneck gallop now slowed down as the distance between them and Drummond castle grew further, and the evening sun made shadows grow longer and the day grow cooler. "But from now on, I'll make sure ye no longer face any danger when ye venture out. The Highlands are a beautiful place, Evie. Ye'll see it all with no fear, and with every protection I can give ye."

"Oh Connor, thank you, but... But I think I'm more of a liability if I continue staying here. I can't even defend myself, how could I expect all of you to drop everything and come for me?" Evie fussed at the hem of her dress as she spoke, and completely missed Connor's amused smile as he peered at her, clearly distressed by this whole situation. "I'm simply a burden. I should just leave. Maybe Father was right, and the Highlands is no place for me."

"Nae, dinna think like that, Evie." The gentler tone made her look up, and her breathe caught when the green gaze of hers met an earnest, dark look that was more passionate and filled with need than anything she's ever seen. The lump in her throat grew when he tightened his hold around her waist, thumb brushing lazy circles on the top of her waist. "Because from now on, ye will have the protection of not only the MacKenzies and their warriors, but the protection my name, and my sword."

"Your name, and your sword? What do you mean?"

"I will marry ye, lass. If ye will have me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Captive{ated} By Gabs

Mystery / Thriller

281K 12K 45
"First you captivated me... then you held me captive." Evelyn was like most college-aged girls working a part-time job when she met Caleb, who came i...
58 1 1
A wayward regency au one shot I wrote for fun, and because the concept wouldn't stop haunting my mind. ~ Trying to get back up after his ex-fiancé le...
448K 15.9K 19
1540, Scotland A storm is brewing on the Highlands... When headstrong and stubborn Gavin MacKenzie is driven to seek vengeance after the murder of hi...
484K 15.2K 32
After the death of her mother Rein finds that her small world comes crashing down, losing her home to pay for the expensive hospital bills was not so...