First Season

By susan_jackson31

Lady Lavinia Bradley has now turned seventeen and is expected to act like a lady and attend her first season... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18/Epilogue

Chapter 2

19.4K 752 118
By susan_jackson31

This chapter is where we meet the love interest...enjoy!

Thanks again to @Aphroditess for the lovely cover!

-----

As the Bradley siblings arrived home and walked up to the front door of the house, a carriage pulled up. Charles, recognising it at once as his friend, readily opened the door before the coachman could jump down from his seat and seized the man inside into a strong embrace. Laughing and joking as they climbed the steps to the house, Charles finally found his manners when he noticed the surprise and intrigue on his sibling's faces.

"Edward, Lavinia," he said. "May I present to you Lord Caleb Alder, Duke of Hemmington. Caleb, this is my elder brother Lord Edward Bradley and my younger sister Lady Lavinia Bradley."

Edward and Caleb shook hands before Caleb gently grasped Lavinia's hand and raised it to his lips, watching her through his eyelashes.

"Enchanted," he whispered across her knuckles as her face flushed an embarrassing red and she pulled back her hand rather forcefully, hitting Edward beside her. He was tall, around six feet, with dark coloured hair and jade green eyes. His skin was tanned and his body well toned, clearly due to extensive manual labour. Lavinia was irritated at her tell tale flush and excused herself to go and get ready for tonight.

Charles had not mentioned that Caleb had been invited to visit and the suddenness had simply caught her off guard, that is all. Her flush was also due to the exercise in the springtime heat and certainly not the reception of her brother's friend. Climbing the stairs she refused to look back, to see those green eyes following her up with his mocking stance. He had realised the effect he had had on her and it irritated her. For him to have seen her weakness so soon after their introduction.

Lavinia returned to her room and called for a bath, using her favourite lavender scented soap to wash away the dirt and grime that had accumulated on their morning ride. Why had Charles not warned her of their house guest? He had clearly not been surprised at his friend's appearance and had welcomed him immediately.

She had met Caleb Alder only twice before now. Their first encounter had been five years ago after the untimely demise of her father. Caleb had been there to offer moral support to Charles which she had been grateful for as he had kept her brother away from the taverns and regulated his drinking habits until Charles had finally been ready to return to school and distract himself from his loss. Caleb had also helped with receiving friends and family after their father's funeral as neither of her brothers, her mother or herself had had the energy to respond. Caleb had kindly accepted the broths, soups and casseroles brought from far and wide and thanked their friends on her family's behalf.

The second time Lavinia could barely call a meeting. She had been visiting her Aunt Julie in London during a harsh winter and had been walking through some light snow to the carriage after a night at the concerts. Caleb had been in attendance and had noticed her, offering his arm to keep her from falling, and assisted her into her carriage. They had made small talk about the talent of the musicians and she had managed to thank him for his help during her mourning period, however the encounter couldn't have lasted more than a few minutes.

Each time, Caleb had clearly looked at her as nothing other than Charles' younger sister. A child, to be assisted and looked after. But now that she was seventeen and officially a lady, what did he think of her now? His cockiness and amusement at her discomfort enraged her and she was determined to ignore him now. She would not give him anything more to laugh at and therefore she must be nothing above civil to him.

"There you are!" Anne said as she burst into Lavinia's room, snapping her from her reverie.

"I've been looking for you downstairs. I thought you would have been with Master Charles. His friend, Lord Alder has arrived and he is to be staying for the ball tonight before travelling back to Oxford with Master Charles on Monday." Anne explained as she hurried about the room setting out Lavinia's new ball gown and preparing to dry and style her hair.

"I am aware of Lord Alder's arrival," Lavinia replied as light-heartedly as she could. "He met us at the door as we returned from shopping."

"That must have been such a pleasant surprise," Anne said. "Master Charles has certainly missed him. They were laughing so hard in the foyer that they didn't notice me as I passed by."

Lavinia felt another surge of anger at this account. They had been laughing just after she had left? At her?

"Now let's get you into that dress of yours," Anne said chirpily, stepping back to allow her to stand.

Half an hour later Lavinia was standing in front of her mirror fully dressed and ready for her first ball as a debutante. Her mother's new ball gown had fit her perfectly and had fully complimented her tall figure and tiny waist. Anne had picked out pearl earrings and a matching necklace which framed her face perfectly and small pearl droplets were laced through her coiffure. She knew that she would never be seen as particularly stunning, her brothers had inherited the looks of the family, but she was certainly looking her best and at this thought, excitement washed over her as she heard her mother calling to her that their first guests were now arriving. Quickly, with only managing to stub her toe, Lavinia rushed to the staircase and met Edward at the top of the staircase.

"Are you here to escort me down?" Lavinia asked her oldest brother.

"Yes, in a moment, but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to you myself," he said, pulling out a neatly wrapped gift.

Lavinia smiled up at him before she pulled open the paper and gasped in shock at the beautiful pair of white, silk gloves. The thoughtfulness of her brother astounded her as she pulled on the shimmering gloves that encased her petite hands. Tears of gratitude began to prick at her eyes.

"Oh, Edward," she gasped. "Thank you!" and she wrapped her arms around him in a rare gesture of sibling love between them.

He chuckled deeply, and enclosed her in a strong embrace. "We better get the belle of the ball downstairs," he finally said and so she pulled away from him and they descended the stairs.

***

Lord Caleb Alder's arrival on Lavinia's seventeenth birthday had been no coincidence. Having barely ever met her, it seemed mad that he would have taken such a quick liking to her, but her innocence and openness had attracted him from his past encounters. After seeing her so distraught at her father's funeral, Caleb had wanted to see her again in a more positive atmosphere. Luck had hit him a while later when he had met her in London, visiting her aunt, however business had kept him from being able to call on her afterwards and by the time he had found the time, she had left for home again. Therefore, when Charles had mentioned his little sister's birthday and the ball to be held in her honour, Caleb had suggested that he visit Charles during the springtime and had managed to arrive just in time.

"Caleb!" Charles exclaimed as the carriage pulled up outside Chatsworth House. "I wasn't sure if you would make it or not in time for the ball this evening. I did not tell anyone of your coming however I can think of several young ladies who would be delighted for another dance partner."

Caleb knew his friend was talking of Judith Wetherton. She had pursued him religiously in London last season and unfortunately, she lived in the same county as Charles.

"Then I am sorry to disappoint them all as I only have eyes for one," Caleb teased as they entered the house. Charles turned towards his siblings who looked rather surprised at Caleb's arrival and Caleb caught his first glimpse of Lady Lavinia Bradley in several years. She had grown a little since their last meeting and her eyes were bright and lively from their ride. Her riding clothes were splashed with mud and her hair covered in dust from the road, however, as he looked her over, her cheeks reddened. She would not lower her eyes as her brother introduced them.

"Enchanted," he whispered as he raised her dainty hand to his lips with a cocky smile. But, instead of simpering at his gaze, she yanked her hand out of his, hitting Edward in the meantime, and excused herself quickly before hurrying up the stairs. Caleb followed her with his eyes and wondered what he had done to deserve such treatment. Where had the young girl gone who had accepted his help at her father's funeral and in London? What kind of angel had replaced the timid young girl?

Charles began to laugh beside him once Edward had also left to change. "You mustn't distract her so," he remarked. "She is only seventeen and, despite society thinking otherwise, she is certainly not old enough for any suitors at the moment." Caleb joined in in his friend's laughter.

"She will be five and twenty and you shall still be saying that she is too young," Caleb remarked.

"She must simply accept her fate as a spinster and resign to live in this house forever."

At that, they both laughed heartily and went up to change for that night's ball. Caleb had been put in one of the guest rooms and called up for a bath. His thoughts immediately turned to the angel he had met earlier.

She was still clumsy, he had noticed, and still innocent. However, she had not reacted the way he had expected her to. He had used that look and cocky smile on many women who would then proceed to flush with pleasure and look down in embarrassment. Lavinia however had flushed with anger and pulled her hand away. What had he done? Perhaps she was annoyed that he had taken away her brother's attention since Charles had only come for a short visit for her birthday. He expected it was rather lonely here for her with no sisters and a brother who kept to his study. Charles had told Caleb countless times of the letters Lavinia wrote to him in which, although she never wrote it explicitly, she was clearly fed up and tired of her family's separation in the absence of Charles. Edward, now alone to deal with the estate, kept himself in his office and her mother was often preoccupied with all her village councils where she organised flower shows and other frivolous assemblies. And so, Lavinia had been left alone since her return from finishing school to await her seventeenth birthday and prepare for her first season in London.

Getting dressed, Caleb chose a white cravat and determined to talk to Lavinia and find out why she was so angry with him. He would apologise for distracting her brother and promise to leave if it would make her happy. He was sure she would assure him that she was not unhappy to see him and ask him to stay longer but he knew that suggesting his removal of Chatsworth House would make her realise that she was being rude and she would then want to spend more time with him to make up for it. He wanted to spend more time with her anyway. Her appearance had caught him off guard and he now relied on several years experience of charming the young debutantes of London to get him through the ball and closer to his angel.

***

Lavinia descended the stairs trying to ignore the throbbing in her toe where she had just stubbed it on the doorframe.

"Lavinia, my dear, you look absolutely stunning!" her mother gushed as she turned from the first few guests. Lavinia knew that this was a gross exaggeration but only smiled demurely as she joined her mother's line to greet those arriving. Edward managed to slip from her mother unnoticed into the ballroom.

The line seemed endless as Dukes and Duchesses, Marquess' and Marchionesses and Earls and Countesses and their eligible sons all arrived, were greeted, and shown into the ballroom by the two hostesses, Lavinia and her mother. After almost an hour, the Dowager Duchess finally excused her daughter to find some refreshment and dance with the many potential suitors she had invited in the hopes that one would take an interest in her daughter. She knew that Lavinia looked her best tonight and that, as this was her first ball as a debutante, first impressions were everything.

Lavinia walked towards the refreshment table when her path was blocked by a rather pompous young man in a regal wine-coloured jacket who took her hand and rose it to his lips.

"Jonathan Evesdale, first son of the Earl of Winchester, at your service m'lady," he announced importantly as he bowed over her hand. "We shall dance now," he ordered and Lavinia had no time to reject or accept his offer (although he had not actually asked her) before she was swept onto the dance floor and was joining in with the quadrille.

"You are a splendid dancer," Lord Evesdale remarked pompously once they were close enough to converse. "That is certainly an important quality I look for in a wife."

Lavinia could only blink in surprise at the forwardness of this gentleman. She had not even spoken to him yet, although she had probably invited him in at the door, and he was already talking to her of marriage?! Is this what her London season would consist of? Hasty introductions followed by conversations of matrimony? Thankfully, she did not need to reply as the music finished soon after. Lord Evesdale led her off the dancefloor, bowed to her and left her immediately to find another woman to prey on.

"Of all the people to have your first dance with you certainly found the worst," a familiar voice remarked behind her. Turning round, Lavinia smiled and launched herself into Judith Wetherton's arms as the older girl laughed and hugged her back.

"Judith!" Lavinia exclaimed. "You never told me you were coming and I didn't see you come in!"

"I know, your mother thought it would be a pleasant surprise for you," the older woman explained. Judith Wetherton was the only child of the Earl of Lordsby and, although she stayed in the same county, had not seen Lavinia after her return from finishing school as she had been busy helping her cousin through her first pregnancy.

"Please help me," Lavinia said. "I don't think I can stand another dance like that again." Judith only chuckled.

"You will learn soon enough, dear Lavinia, how to dismiss a gentleman you are better off without and how to find the men who will treat you properly.," Judith instructed, taking Lavinia's arm in hers and expertly maneuvering them away from the dance floor to the refreshment table. "Here is Lord Caleb Alder for example. His company is one that I would recommend to anyone. His manners are exceptional, he is tall and handsome and his ability to charm a woman is known throughout the whole of London."

'I know all about Lord Alder's charms,' Lavinia thought to herself, blushing slightly at the recollection of their encounter earlier that day. She had managed to evade meeting him since then and had only caught glimpses of him earlier that evening. Reaching the refreshment table, Lavinia picked up a glass of red wine and resisted the urge to down it all at once. If anything like her first dance was to happen again tonight she would need the help of a strong drink to get her through it.

As she was standing there however, what felt like a brick wall slammed into her back causing her to spill the contents of her glass down her lovely new dress and tumble to the ground. The red stains seeped through the white silk soaking her through and the brick wall narrowly missed landing on top of her legs.

"I am so very sorry," a familiar voice said as he scrambled to his feet before offering her his hand. Looking up, Lavinia glared at Lord Caleb Alder, the cocky cad who had just ruined her stunning new dress and, not only that, ruined her entrance into society altogether. Ignoring his hand, Lavinia rose to her feet and held her head high as she stalked out of the ballroom ignoring the gasps and stares of her guests.

"Lavinia!" her mother called after her as she hurried beside her. "What have you done to your dress?"

Ignoring her mother's idiotic remark, Lavinia ascended the stairs and then once she was out of sight ran to her room, closing the door behind her and curling up on her bed, she sobbed her heart out. She sobbed for her ruined dress, she sobbed for her ruined birthday and eventually, once she had no tears left, she fell asleep in her wine soaked dress.

***

Caleb had heard the Dowager Duchess calling on Lavinia and knew that he must soon make an appearance downstairs. He was ready, however he knew that he would not get the chance to speak to Lavinia just yet and so there was no reason for him to descend so early. He had heard from Charles that Judith would be at the ball that night as a surprise for Lavinia and he did not want to have to talk to her.

When Caleb finally thought he had delayed long enough he left his room and joined the ball. Lavinia and her mother had just finished greeting their guests and Lavinia was entering the ballroom. She looked stunning in an innocent white dress with golden lace. She looked every bit the angel that she was and she glided through the ballroom as gracefully as possible with few hindrances. Realising that she was walking in the direction of the refreshment table, Caleb walked a different way to get there, hoping to corner her there and apologise.

"Lord Alder," a woman called out as he passed, resting a hand on his arm to make him stop. "May I introduce my daughter, Miss Geraldine Chamfer." Caleb resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He knew all about women wishing to 'introduce their daughters' to him. He knew he was well sought after and that his charms were widely spoken of around London. However, he did not care for any of these women. He had only one woman on his mind now.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," he said politely, bowing towards her. "Would you care for some refreshment Miss Chamfer?" and as the young woman took his proffered elbow he hoped he could pass her off to Charles somewhere along the way. Miss Chamfer prattled away about her new gowns being commissioned for this season and Caleb attempted to make the correct noises at the right times while he scanned the ballroom for Charles. He was unsuccessful, however he did see his angel being led off the dance floor by the pompous idiot Lord Evesdale. Caleb was not ready for the surge of protectiveness he felt towards her, he wanted to whisk her away from the Lord and show her what a proper dance in society was like, but he stopped thinking of excuses when he saw Judith with her, leading her towards the refreshments.

Caleb could say a lot about Judith. She was persistent and a little blind, but she was also well learned in the art of society even after only one season.

Caleb picked up two glasses of wine and handed one to Miss Chamfer who smiled at him and continued to prattle on about dresses. Did she think he was actually interested in what style of dress made her look fat? He continued to be a picture of politeness until he finally spotted Charles. Catching his eye, he tugged on his ear three times signalling that he needed out of this situation now and so Charles, with a twinkle in his eye, shoved Caleb out of the way to take over with Miss Chamfer.

Caleb lost his balance and only just managed to pass his glass over to Charles before slamming into a young lady behind him. Expertly moving himself to avoid landing on her legs, he fell, pinning her under him. As he got to his feet again he tried to apologise and held out his hand for the lady to take. He knew he would have some grovelling to do. It was only then that he realised who he had fallen onto. Brown eyes glared at him as Lavinia scrambled to her feet, ignoring his proffered hand. Her dress was stained red as her own glass of wine had spilled and some stray wisps of hair had escaped her coiffure. She tilted her head upwards and stalked out of the room ignoring everyone.

Caleb attempted to follow when a hand stopped him. Following it he saw Charles with a small smirk on his face. "I wouldn't want to be you tomorrow," he warned, before leaving to find footmen to clear the rest of the spillage.

What had he done?

-----

I wouldn't want to be Caleb tomorrow either, Lavinia has some temper and I don't think Caleb's experience with simpering debutantes is going to help him get out of this one...

Please comment and let me know what you think of the story!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
75 2 16
What would it be to grow up under the watchful eye of the King? For Preston and Landon, it is great they use their time away from the palace to sow t...
3.2M 99.9K 37
#5 in Vampire - 7/28/2017 #1 in Love-triangle 6/30/19 In a world where humanity was lost because the superior race of vampires took over the inferior...
27.5K 748 23
"ðšĻ 𝐠𝛐𝛐𝐝 ðĶðŪ𝐎𝐞 𝐠ðĒv𝐞𝐎 ðē𝛐ðŪ 𝐜𝐚ðĨðĶ 𝐎𝐞𝐚𝐎 ðĒ𝐧 ð­ðĄðž ðĶ𝛐ðŦ𝐧ðĒ𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐭𝛐ðŦðĶ𝐎 𝐚𝐭 𝐧ðĒð ðĄð­ 𝐭𝛐 ðĶ𝐚ðĪ𝐞 ðē𝛐ðŪ ðĪðĒïŋ―...