I Love You but You're Real

By starfaced

"Unfortunately, I am in love with you. The unfortunate part about it is that you are real... and I am not." More

one-half
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
fifteen and one-half
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen

nineteen

944 57 35
By starfaced

I ease into consciousness and glance warily around. Where am I? My surroundings begin to form into the familiar scene of my room. I have a faint feeling that there's something I need to do... ah, yes. My mission starts today. I need to return to my room.

Ten minutes later, I'm walking down the streets of FicCity, searching for the building that I had been held in for the better part of my life. As I pass numerous buildings, I see confused characters step into FicCity from their own buildings for the first time.

I can't help but feel a surge of jealousy each time I see someone receive inaudible directions from their Voice.

But I'm sorry, dear Voice, I don't mean to take you for granted. I have never meant to make you feel unloved- I am so glad that you belong to me regardless of whether or not I can hear you.

But...

I just wish it were different between us. You know what I mean? Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to find a way to hear you.

I stop in front of a large building. This one looks familiar, I think. I hesitantly reach for the door, but just before I touch the handle it swings open and hits me in the shoulder. I stagger backwards as a character bursts out onto the street, their expression a mix of confusion and joy.

They glance at me and mutter a quick sorry before raising a hand and waiting for someone to come and help them. Shaking my head, I step inside through the open door and return to the place that kept me hostage for who knows how long.

I stand just inside the door and stare at the featureless hallway in front of me. What am I doing here? What did I expect to find?

I take a step forward, and then more confidently march down the hallway. I have no destination. Hopefully I'll be able to find my way out.

I walk straight for a while and don't encounter anyone. There's a split at the end of the hall and I veer toward the right. I make a mental note. There's a door on the wall a little farther down, but I try the door only to find that it's locked. I'm not really surprised.

What did I hope to achieve in coming here? I mentally kick myself. There's nothing here that can help me. I head back the way I came, feeling rather stupid. When I pass the split in the hall though, I see movement down the passage I did not take. Heart racing, I sprint toward the figure.

It's one of Them.

Its legs and neck stretch longer than life, almost as if someone attached a string to the top of their head and pulled until the string snapped.

They stopped walking once they saw me, and smiled down at me as I approached.

Them: Hello, Rhys.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 4.2K 30
A story of four brothers whose life revolves around each other. Fate wasn't kind to them, but they were in it together, always have been and always w...
225K 8.2K 45
Short stories collection. ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—น-๐—ฒ-๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ต๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ~ ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฏ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜ ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ป. ๐—›๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜-๐—ฒ-๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ต๐—พ (๐—ญ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—บ~๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ต) ~complet...