A THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS #ON...

Від lets-defeat-the-huns

ARISTA DOES NOT like monsters or dragons, but sometimes to slay a monster, you have to embrace your inner mon... Більше

01 | A THOUSAND
02 | THE KING
03 | BEFORE THE NIGHT
04 | COMES THE DUSK
04 | AND AFTER THE NIGHT
06 | AND ONE NIGHTS

05 | COMES THE DAWN

801 133 46
Від lets-defeat-the-huns

05 | COMES THE DAWN
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

"MY NAME IS SHAZA, AND I HOPE YOU SURVIVE TILL DAWN." 

I was startled by those words he said. The guards had left, leaving me and him alone in the room. The room was dark, feeling solitairy with only a stranger for company. 

My heart beat erratically. I nearly imagined the king could hear my heart thump out of my chest. I had thought I was prepared to face him, but in reality, being so close to someone that had killed so many terrified me. 

I remembered all the girls he had killed. I remembered all the evil deeds he had committed, families he had wronged. And then in the back of my mind, I remembered him sobbing as bullets pierced his mother's body and her gasp as the life leaked out of her. 

And I felt a furor within me that I could not quench. The trepidation I had transformed itself into rage. 

How could someone that had lost their own mother be so willing to kill so many woman? What kind of monster could stomach such deeds? 

I imagined scales forming around my skin, diamond hard and impenetrable. I would be a harbinger of death and justice. 

It takes a monster to defeat a monster. 

And I will be a monster to save my country. 

"Well." I said, pushing down my rage and forming a mask of cold ice, "Since we have till dawn, shall I tell you  a story?" 

The king looked at me, startled for a moment. His dark eyes were swimming with emotion, and I did not understand how a killer can have emotions. But then, I suppose those who kill because of feeling are more dangerous than those who kill because of thought. Or perhaps, it is the other way around. 

He is ying, and I am the yang. He is the dark, and I am the dawn.  He is the fire, and I am the phoenix, rising from the ashes of the destruction he has caused. 

"Yes." The king said, "I have not had anyone tell me a story since I was a child, my mother..."

My heart stopped for a beat. I had not expected the king to have feelings, to be human. But I guess the greatest monsters disguise themselves as man. I push my barrier back up, shove my heart down.

"Then, there is no time for the better." I said, "My story is long and tedious, but will you hear it, your Highness?" 

The king paused, "I will be more than willing to hear it, my Queen." 

I peered at him, "I am not your queen. I have not survived until dawn." 

"And as I said," the king said quietly, "I hope you do survive until dawn, my Queen." 

"So do I." I said, "So do I." 

There is a pause of silence for a moment. It is neither comfortable nor uncomfortable. It is deadly and dangerous, and I carefully break it. My words are the only weapons I can use to find my enemy's Achilles heel. 

"I will tell you a tale from another country." I said, my voice low and enchanting, "It is a great story, your Highness." 

"It is the story about a woman, brave and fierce. She is nothing but a slave girl, but she is loyal  to her master. Her name is Morgiana, and her master's is Ali Baba." 

▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

The Last of Us Від 𝕞 𝕒 𝕕 𝕚

Детективи / Трилер

43.2K 3.7K 49
Harlow Sandoval knows how to survive. She's always been known as the 'Sandoval Survivor,' the final girl of notorious serial killer, Jason Randall. ...
Blindsided Від beauty7665

Жіночі романи

11.1K 492 39
COMPLETED Burton High is not a white-collared, run of the mill school. We've got the art kids, we've got the weird goths that hang around one particu...
35.2K 842 21
Life as the vigilante for the past 2 years have been amazing even though there have been some though spots, Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle have faced t...
207K 2.4K 12
True love never ends. At least mine won't... Part memoir, part essay collection, Confessions of a Mormon Bride: Essays on Love and Mormonism, explore...