The Passion of London [Highla...

By kitsumiekat

HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales o... More

Chapter 1 - Picture of Evie
Chapter 2 - Photo of Connor
Chapter 3 - Photo of Hammond
Chapter 4 - Photo of Amelia
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15 - Picture of Amhuinn
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue
Authors Note 2

Chapter 14

21.1K 1.1K 34
By kitsumiekat

Smoke tickled her nose, a tightness in her blood flow in her wrists that finally stirred her. Realizing that she was now strapped to a pole, bleary vision took a while to clear for Evie to frown as she noticed one shoddily constructed hut and a dying fire in the front of the entrance, where a tough, hulking looking male sat staring at her as he peeled what appeared to be a piece of fruit.

"Who are you and what do you want from me?" she managed to spit out, despite the having her kirtle half torn from the bottom, with hair falling like a badly constructed birds nest. 

Her eyes shot daggers at her captor, who apparently wasn't even phased. Biting into his freshly peeled, not so fresh fruit, his leer made goosebumps appear involuntarily on Evie's bounded arms as he got up and stalked nearer. She made an attempt to back away, futile since she was tied to a tree really, but Evie was now reacting on pure instinct as her captor got closer. With dirty blond hair falling messily around his face, eyes as blue as the clear sky above them, the back of her mind mused that he could possibly look quite enchanting under any other situation. But given their circumstances, the blue eyes seem to merely hide thundercloud.

Two more steps before he got to her, and Evie had by then squeezed her eyes shut in an involuntary act of self-preservation, when a loud call of "Tamhas!" made the crunch of gravel which had spelled out Evie's impending doom stopped. Even the girl managed to crack open her eyes, just in time to see a girl of about her age but with her captor's hair fly out one of the hovels with a scowl and a threatening spatula wielded in her right arm, her walk punctuated with a limp that left Evie curious. 

"Leave her be, ye promised no harm shall come!"

The male crunched his fruit and scowled, standing there as the newcomer came to stand dangerously close to him. "I did no such promise, Ammi."

"We didna come oot here to harm anyone, brother! Please, where did she even come from." The girl appeared quite distressed as she hurried over to untie the ropes that bounded Evie's wrists together, much to the girls' delight. She hissed once the rough material was taken away from her, rubbing the reddened skin and watching with much amusement when the girl dressed in serviceable brown, apparently name Ammi, returned to admonishing who Evie was guessing to be her brother.

Evie smiled in amusement as the two argued, but couldn't resist her curiosity. "Why... exactly did you bring me here?"

"Because we need food, Sassenach, and ye look like ye fetch a hefty price."

Evie raised a brow, not sure if she was comfortable at being likened to what sounded like cows. She had to admit though, her father would probably have paid a fortune for her safety, but now didn't seemed like a proper time to confirm their ideas. "Is... this your home?" She asked in uncertainty, looking at the lone hut. Didn't Highlanders live in clans?

"Ammi was..."

"The Kincaid clan do not care for rulebreakers. I broke them, and Tamhas here is just accompanying me. Food is scarce these days though, but we needn't resort to blackmailing." 

"Winter is almost here, Ammi. You can't expect us to freeze!" he argued in return. By then, Evie had got to her feet, and was now genuinely concern for the two. "He is right Miss... Ammi?"

"Amhuinn Kincaid is my full name, but it is a mouthful, so Ammi is just as well." she smiled, a sweet thing that had Evie's heart going out to her. How could someone so small and so sweet be so threatening to her brother? The siblings shared the same eyes as well, although Ammi's was just a shade or two darker then Tamhas's, sparkling like the ocean as she limped up to Evie and picked up her wrists.

"Och, I do wish I still have my box of herbs with me. I would've been able to soothe this in a jiffy."

"You're a healer?" Evie asked in curiosity, Tamhas wandering off to sharpen his blade. Ammi nodded, turning to face Evie with a smile. "I was training to be part of Kincaid Castle's staff, until-"

Before she could finish her sentence, a loud crash broke through the foliage of the clearing. Tamhas didn't even have time to pick up his claymore when Evie found herself swept off the ground and plunked directly into a saddle, a warm body protectively encasing hers before she realized it was Connor who now wielded a sword, waving them menacingly at Tamhas who now stood in front of his sister. "Why do ye take her, ye outcasts?"

"We meant no harm. We simply needed some food and vices, and lack the coin needed to get them."

"Truly, Connor. They didn't hurt me at all. Ammi there even untied me!" A panic was slowly taking place in Evie as Connor's sharp blade gleamed in the sunlight. While she had no love lost for the brother, Ammi was a sweet thing that Evie's grown a soft spot for in the past, brief time she's conversed with her. 

Connor was only mildly mollified by Evie's words, but when the English tried to make a move to get down, his firm grip on her, coupled with a strong growl from his throat convinced her otherwise. Instead, Evie contented herself with being seated in between Connor's legs on the saddle, nudging him to lower his sword.

It was only when the disturbance of the brush revealed both Hammond and Fabian on horseback riding towards them, that Connor finally let his guard down, all the while keeping a scowl on the two Kincaids but allowing Hammond to move forward to question them. "What motives did ye have for taking away Lady Evelyn?"

"Neither harmful ones, sir. We only needed some bread."

Ammi's voice was small, almost shivering which immediately touched Hammond's softer heart. He vaulted off from the saddle to peer at the younger female who was about twenty one, noting her subdued posture and tilted head. 

"Young lady, you canna be alone with your brother here, are ye?"

"As your captain has mentioned, we are outcasts from  the Kincaid clan further up north."

"Why were ye outcasted?" Connor's suspicious question asked. He was still cautious, especially since he noticed that Evie was still subconciously rubbing her raw wrists. Connor felt like driving his fists through someone's face, but he doubted his laird would agree to it.

"Tis for us to know, and none of yer business." Tamhas retorted hotly. Ammi gave her brother a reproachful look, but sidled closer to her kin. "Tis no life or death matter. I dishonored our clan name, is all."

Hammond frowned, finding himself strangely curious about the secrets that the blue-eyed maiden kept. The way she kept her face down turned, appearing quite subservient yet Hammond knew it wasn't so, not if the way her eyes blazed as she cautiously watched Connor's extended claymore had anything to do with it. She kept a spirited soul hidden, and he couldn't help but wonder why would she do it, and how would she be if she didn't tamp down her natural self.

"Connor, bring our provisions back here."

"What?"

"We'll be arriving in MacKenzie Keep in a couple of days, we dinna need so much once we get there. We can survive on half of our rations now. Bring it."

Despite appearing quite reluctant, the captain pulled at his snorting destrier and started towards their campsite through their woods. Evie was nestled so close to him that she could feel his breathe with every jostle of the horse, every beat of his heart against her side. She felt short of breathe herself, and the redhead could swear that it had nothing to do with how her chafed wrists still bothered her,  nor how her red hair fell helter skelter around her.

"Th-thank you." she finally broke the silence, halfway back to their campsite. 

"Did I not tell you that the Highlands are verra dangerous? Yer foolishness almost costed ye yer life. I canna always be so close by to save ye."

"I only wanted to savor the morning air! I never asked to be caught. I was on my way back when-"

"No one asks to be caught, me lady. But ye have to be careful oot here, tis different from all you've known." His voice had gentled by then, Evie noted. She had lashed out defensively, but as Connor mellowed down, she too decided to bite back her spiteful response, looking around before a sense of peace took over. 

The green forests interspersed with beams of light from the sun, fighting their way through the mosaic of leaves, giving a very ethereal look to the forest aura. Tilting her head upwards, she squinted as she tried to observe the sway of leaves in a gentle breeze, with a smile so gentle, Connor's heart skipped when he accidentally glanced at her. 

"It is different from all I've known, Connor." her voice was soft, as if she was mesmerized by the lands Connor had loved since he was a child. He had wondered if he would ever find someone who would understand why he would fight  to the death for the Highlands, yet now, it was as if God had landed her right on his lap, literally and figuratively. Why couldn't he catch it? "It is magical, almost breath-taking. I'm... sorry, but I got distracted by all of these in the morning. I let my guard down."

Unable to help himself, her breathless apology was cut short when he leaned in closer to cut off the last few millimetres of distance between them , to catch her lips. In the same breathe, he shared the love she was now cultivating for the Highlands, channelling all the passion he's felt so far into their shared kiss. Letting one hand slip from holding the reins, he cradled her waist, pulling her closer and trusting his steed to lead them back.

Tongue twisted with each other, nipping at her lips when she whimpered. It felt like like moments later when they finally pulled back from each other, and Connor smiled when he noticed the flush on her face, breathless look in her eyes. 

He loved the Highlands, but Connor Gilroy was beginning to suspect he loved the vibrant Evelyn Verrick even more.

"I... thought you would never do that again."

"I canna help meself, Evie. Yer beauty is enhanced by the Highlands. Ye love the lands like ye were born to be here. I dinna think I can allow you to return to England, lass."

"What-What do you mean?"

"Stay with me. Stay here. I will make ye happy, lass. And I will show ye the most beautiful sights of Scotland."

"I...I cannot stay." she automatically replied, but her heart pined otherwise. Evie knew she wanted to stay. Not just for the Highlands, but for Connor as well. His kiss melted her bones, her touch incited flames in their wake, and just being around him gave her the greatest sense of security she's never felt anywhere else. She craved his presence, wanted his touch... but how could she leave her father alone?

"Why, lass? I will give ye everything ye need."

"My... my father, Connor. I cannot leave him to be by himself in England. Cavalon Castle is mine to inherit, and the lands of the viscountancy will be my husbands to handle when I wed him. Would you take on the tasks of an English lord?"

Connor froze just as they arrived at the campsite, caught off guard by Evie's revelation. He had suspected it, but reality hadn't sunk in until she had point-blank told him about it. He wanted to marry her, of course he did. He could imagine Evie heavy with his bairn, coming home to her, just being with her at all times, and it gave him a sense of contentment. But on English lands? As an England lord? The very idea brought dread to his senses.

And Evie noticed. She had hoped he would be alright with the idea. After all, they would still be together, would they not?

Disappointment was clear as she untangled herself from his arms, and slide off the saddle just as the rest of the campsite noticed their arrival and started to come towards them.

"You have your duties, I have mine too Connor. I cannot leave my father, just as you cannot leave your laird."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 288 13
Fanfiction - Last edit 21/01/23 Iona had never wanted to get married; she didn't need to. She wasn't brought up to be the damsel. When her father spr...
Chattan Bride By Maria York

Historical Fiction

4.3K 261 29
READERS' FAVORITE FIVE STAR AWARD WINNER - As the daughter of a strong English baron, Isabel is compelled by peace negotiations to become the child-b...
508K 23K 24
HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION --- Amhuinn Kincaid, exiled from the Kincaid Clan, has spent the last three years as an outcast among the Hi...
448K 15.9K 19
1540, Scotland A storm is brewing on the Highlands... When headstrong and stubborn Gavin MacKenzie is driven to seek vengeance after the murder of hi...