Search for the Soul Gem

由 SamiRuskey

Lucy Scaffer was an Archaeology professor at the City University of New York. Her life seemed to be going in... 更多

Preface (2012)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Ten

3.3K 91 11
由 SamiRuskey

     I pushed the door closed with my heel.

     "Alright J, how fancy is the party you're sending me to?" I asked, dropping all the books and papers to the counter as I made my way back to my bedroom.

     "Well, Mr. Stark is wearing a suit," JARVIS stated.

     "Oh great, so it's fancy," I groaned as I reached my closet.

     "Yes,"

     "Awesome," I muttered as I looked through my clothes. I'd been living in jeans and t-shirt for months, I wasn't even sure I had anything fancy. I managed to find one dress that was suitable for a fancy party. Now armed with a dress, I walked over to the bathroom. The floor tiles warmed my feet as I undressed for the adventure that was a shower. After the 15 minute task of showering, I emerged and put the dress on. It was a deep blue dress with a plunging neckline that went down to my knees and was flowy. It was the only 'fancy' dress I owned. I did my makeup to hide the fact I haven't been really sleeping. After drying my hair, I reentered my room on a quest for shoes. In the back of my closet, I found a pair of white pumps with a small clasp across my ankle and rhinestones on the heel. With my shoes now on, I looked in the mirror again.

     "How do I look J?" I asked, turning in the mirror to look at all the different angles.

     "Very beautiful miss, you will fit in well at the party," JARVIS said. I pursed my lips together and sighed. I wasn't sure how I felt about this party but what else was I going to do. I placed the compass over my head and it rested against my throat.

     "So where is this party J?" I asked stepping out of my apartment and pressing my hand against the metal door. The lock clicked over and I began to look for elevator.

     "It's on the party deck ma'am," JARVIS said as I reached the elevator. The doors slid open and I stepped inside the elevator.

     "What floor is that?" I asked looking at all the buttons on the wall.

     "Don't worry miss, I'll get you to the floor," JARVIS said. The button with the number 97 lit up and the elevator started up. The light music drifted down from the speakers as I slowly made my way up to the party deck. With every inch I traveled up, I became more and more nervous. My fingers fidgeted with the hem line of my dress as the elevator doors slid open slowly. There was a short hallway that led to a corner. Drifting in from around the corner was the dull sound of conversation and low music. Every once in a while, a loud, chorus of laughter would make its way to me. The elevators slid closed behind me, trapping me on the floor. I took a deep breath and started toward the party. The hallway seemed to stretch on forever. I finally reached the corner and looked down for a moment. After a deep breath I turned the corner and emerged out into a large, beautiful room. The room was huge and open with stairs that led up to two separate lofts that circled the entire room. I'd come in on the third floor loft that circled the room and I walked over to the ledge in a daze. I'd never seen anything this beautiful in my life. The entire wall to my left was entirely made of glass and let it a breathtaking view of New York City in the twilight. The sunset behind the buildings threw a watercolor of color across the sky. Guests were mingling around on the first floor, talking and drinking and laughing and on the second floor, the guests were walking and taking in the beautiful view. I momentarily forgot that I was at Stark's party and that I didn't know anyone here, all I could do was stare out the window mesmerized.

     "Wow," I breathed awestruck.

     "You like it?" Banner asked, appearing next to me. I jumped slightly and looked over at him. He wore a simple black suit with a purple collared shirt that was unbuttoned a bit at the top. 

     "It's beautiful," I said looking back out the window.

     "Yeah, Tony likes to show off just a bit," Banner smiled as he looked down at the people in the party.

     "I can see that," I smirked, looking around.

     "I'm glad you decided to come," Banner said, glancing over at me.

     "Well, there was nothing more for me to do in the lab and I didn't want to sit in my room all night. And hey, they can't all be as bad as Stark, right?" I shrugged as I smirked over at him. He laughed.

     "How was the research coming along?" Banner asked leaning over the railing and looking down.

      "Fantastic! JARVIS and I found a couple codes so that he could translate it. We've translated parts of it and he's working on it right now," I said.

     "Oh that's awesome! I missed an exciting day it seems," Banner smirked.

     "Yes you really did. You missed out too, I put that pot back together," I said. He laughed.

     "I missed out on all the fun," Banner pouted. I laughed and nodded, "Alright, come on. Let me introduce you to the team," Banner nodded as we turned to walk toward the stairs. I turned to follow Banner to the floating stairs that led down to the middle loft.

     "So, who is Stark trying to impress with these parties?" I asked as we walked across the second story. Banner open his mouth to answer but was cut off.

     "All of New York maybe," I felt an arm around my shoulder. I looked over to find James standing next to me. I smiled up at him, happy for another familiar face. I seemed to have forgotten how attractive he was in the time that I hadn't seen him. He was wearing a nice black suit that was tailored well to his body, the jacket had two buttons next to each other and was buttoned over his chest. Under he had a grey collared shirt with a multicolored tie.

     "Hello James," I smiled. He smiled down at me.

     "Hello doctor. Nice to finally so you again!" he said.

     "I've been a little busy," I defended as we stopped in front of the railing and looked down on the floor below us. The party was in full swing and it was strangely beautiful.

     "That's okay, I think I can forgive you if you save me a dance," he winked at me. I felt a blush rush to my checks as I nodded.

     "I think I can do that," I said quietly.

     "Hey Bucky, where's Steve?" Banner asked. James tore his eyes from mine and looked at Banner.

     "Uh, somewhere off with Sam. I'm not entirely sure," James said looking around the room. He suddenly stopped and pointed with his meal arm, "There, by the bar with Thor," he pointed at a beautiful glass bar that was stocked well with colorful alcohol. In front stood Thor and Steve in the midst of a laughing fit.

     "Thor, as in the God?" I asked looking back up at James. He smiled down at me.

     "The very same," he nodded.

     "Not possible," I said.

     "You wanna meet him?" James asked.

     "Maybe," I smirked. James smiled at me and looked back up at Banner.

     "You don't mind if I steal her away, do you?" James asked. Banner smiled over at him.

     "Not at all! I'm going to go find the rest of the team!" Banner smiled. He clapped me on the shoulder as he passed by us. He descended the floating stairs and disappeared into the crowd. James's arm disappeared from my shoulder and he held out his arm from me with a smile.

     "You ready to go meet a God?" James asked me. I took his arm and smiled.

     "Is one ever ready to meet a God?" I asked. He laughed as he led me toward the stairs. We took the stairs down slowly as he guided me around the people coming up the stairs.

     "I know for sure that I wasn't ready for that meeting," James laughed. I laughed lightly as he led me off the stairs and over to the bar. As we neared the bar, I could hear Steve's laugh accompanied by the thundering boom of what I imagined was Thor's laugh. James stopped next to Steve and Thor and I shifted nervously next to him.

     "Excuse me guys," James said, butting into their conversation. Both Steve and Thor looked over at me. Steve looked down at me and smiled.

     "Oh hello doctor! I didn't know you were going to be here!" Steve smiled at me.

     "Well it was kind of a last minute decision," I smiled up at him. He was dressed way down compared to the god and James. He was in simple black slacks and a blue collared shirt with a leather jacket thrown over. 

     "Thor, I'd like to introduce you to Dr. Lucy Scaffer. She's the one they saved from Africa," James introduced me, "Lucy, this is Thor, the prince of Asgard." James swayed his arm from me to Thor in a grand motion. The god was much more intimidating that anyone I'd ever met. He towered over me at least by a foot. He had curly blond hair that was tied back on the back of his neck. He had black pants on with a long grey t-shirt on covered with a long maroon jacket that went down to his knees. I held out my hand nervously to him. He looked down at my hand before taking it in his in a tight handshake.

     "It is so nice to meet you Doctor! I have heard so many lovely things about you!" Thor boomed as he shook my hand vigorously. He shook my hand so violently I felt my teeth rattling.

     "Easy killer, no need to yank her arm out," James said laughing. Thor released my hand and I drew it back gingerly.

     "My apologies doctor," Thor smiled nervously.

     "Please, call me Lucy," I insisted, pushing a stray hair behind my ear.

     "Lucy, how has the research been going?"Steve asked.

     "Great! I think I've finally made some progress on translation the tablet," I said.

     "Lady Lucy, what is it that you are working on?" Thor asked. I noticed him eyeing the compass at my throat. I opened my mouth to answer when someone cut me off.

     "Lucy!" Banner said excitedly as he drug two others over to me. I recognized one as Natasha and the other I wasn't sure about. The two people looked very different. Natasha was dressed up in a beautiful black dress with white sleeves whereas the man was in black pants and a plaid shirt with a leather jacket on. 

     "Bruce, what are you doing?" Steve asked, smirking into his glass. Natasha shot a glare over at Banner as he stopped in front of us. The other man just looked confused.

     "I want Lucy to meet you guys while you're not working," Banner explained. He turned to me with a smile, "Lucy, this is Natasha and Clint," he introduced. They both looked over at me. Clint smiled at me and Natasha just stared.

     "I remember you! You're the one who punched Stark in the face," Clint smirked. He threw his arm over my shoulder affectionately, "You're alright with me kid!" he proclaimed loudly before releasing me. I laughed and looked at Natasha.

     "Sorry I slammed a door in your face," I apologized. She was quiet for a moment as she studied me.

     "That's okay. Took guts kid," a smirk pulled at the corner of her mouth. I laughed relieved.

     "Oh I know you guys aren't having a pow wow without me!" another man came strutting up.

     "Oh, heavens no! Can't do anything without our pigeon!" James smirked, snaking his arm around my shoulder again. The new comer shot an annoyed look at James.

     "Pigeon?" I questioned looking up at James who simply laughed.

     "Oh that's just great, moose," the other man said rolling his eyes. He looked over at me, "I'm Sam, we met once before but you might not remember me," he smiled down at me. Sam was the least dressed up of all the people I'd met. He was simply in black jeans, a red shirt and a black jacker. 

     "Oh yeah, you're the one who drove my stuff when Steve tried to kill us," I said. James and Sam both laughed.

     "Hey!" Steve piped up behind us.

     "Yes ma'am that was me!" Sam laughed.

     "Lucy, please," I insisted.

     "Have you met everyone yet?" Sam asked. I looked up at James, not sure if I had or hadn't yet.

     "Not yet. Just a few more," James said. I nodded. James excused us from the group and led us toward the center of the room. He led us to a small group of people. The group of people was small and I took in each person separately. The woman was very nice looking and in a beautifully fitting red dress. He looked much older than everyone else but I didn't want to let him know that. He looked very nice in his tailored grey suit with a white collared shirt under his jacket. There was one person in this group that I knew. Tony Stark. Stark was in a perfectly tailored suit that made him look very nice. He was in an entirely black, three-piece suit with a dark grey tie. He looked up as James and I approached and his mouth broke into a gentle smile.

     "Excuse me, but I have someone I want to introduce to you," James said as we entered their circle. The two I didn't know turned to face us.

     "Oh hey Bucky," the man said. James smiled and pushed me slightly in front of him.

     "This is Dr. Lucy Scaffer," James said. I smiled shyly, "Lucy, this is Rhodey and Agent Hill," James said quietly into my ear.

     "Please, Maria," Agent Hill said smiled at me. 

     "And that's-"

     "Mr. Stark," I smiled at him. Rhodey and Maria shared a look before looking back at me. Rhodey stuck out his hand to me with a smile.

     "Ah doctor, I've heard so much about you," Rhodey smiled as I shook his hand.  I looked over at James confused.

     "Have you been talking about me?" I teased. He smiled down at me and cocked his eyebrows.

     "Wasn't me doll," he smirked.

     "Then Banner?" I asked looking back at Rhodey. He glanced back at Stark before he answered.

     "Not Banner either doctor," Rhodey smirked.

     "Stark? Have you been gossiping about me?" I asked, shooting him a look. He bit back a smile as he tipped his glass into his mouth.

     "Dr. Scaffer, would you enjoy a tour?" Tony asked swiping his arm grandly out behind him. I looked up at James who was smiling down at me.

     "If you excuse me James," he dipped his head to kiss the back my hand.

     "I'll be waiting for that dance doll," he said sweetly. I felt a blush creep up my cheeks as I turned to face Tony again.

     "Shall we doctor?" Tony asked, holding his arm out to me. I walked over and took his arm as he led me out of the circle and toward the wall that was covered with windows. He set his glass down on a random table as we passed. The sun had set and the lights of New York City were a glow making the skyline look like it was floating. The ships out on the harbor looked like floating ghosts in the pitch sky. As we neared the window, I couldn't help but be in awe of the sight again. I'd never seen anything so beautiful. Tony looking down at me softly.

     "What do you think?" he asked quietly as he looked down at me. We came to a stop just in front of the windows. Standing here like we were, in the wake of the city, made me feel incredibly small and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was.

     "It's beautiful," I breathed honestly. He was looking down at me with a bright smile on his face.

     "Beautiful huh?" he replied. I turned my head to look up at him and found that my face was inches away from his. His eyes flicked down from mine, down to my mouth and back up. I don't know why but suddenly all I wanted to do was kiss him. He was leaning down toward me and my eyes fluttered closed.

     "Mr. Stark, sir," a voice came from behind us nervously. I looked up at Tony, who closed his eyes annoyed and let out a sigh. His jaw flexed before he answered.

     "What is it?" he asked trying to sound as calm as he could.

     "I hate to interrupt but there is someone who is asking for you, they said it was important," the man said fidgeting with his buttons nervously.

     "I'll be right there," Tony breathed. The man scurried away before Tony could say anything else. Tony looked back at my face and the hard look in his eyes faded, "Well, looks like that will have to wait then doctor," he whispered.

     "Duty calls Mr. Stark," I whispered back with a smile.

     "Don't go anywhere. This shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes," he smiled at me and brushed a stray hair behind my ear. I blushed and smirked back up at him.

     "I'll hold you to that Mr. Stark," I said. He smiled at me before turning and making his way through the party and disappeared.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

737 32 41
"Well, all you have to do is make him mad, right? Shoving someone off a cliff generally angers them. I think, not that I've tried," - Born from two W...
203 14 6
"I met him two years ago. I was his mission." "You were what?!" "Oh come on, Steve. You've been there too." He laughs. ~~ Y/n Ember Lewis, 25. S.H.I...
127K 2.8K 32
I USED TO BE A CHILD, WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD. ~a lot has changed. Sometimes our scars aren't physical. While emotional scars aren't visible they...
456 1 32
❝ί︎ Ć︎𝔥๏s𝓔︎ 𝐓︎๏ Ⓟ︎я︎๏𝐓︎𝓔︎Ć︎𝐓︎ 𝐓︎𝔥เ︎sĆ︎๏υ𝓷𝐓︎я︎ⓨ︎. Δ𝓷ᵈ 𝐓︎𝔥Ⓐ︎𝐓︎'s w𝔥Ⓐ︎𝐓︎ ί︎'ϻ ģ๏เ︎𝓷ģ 𝐓︎๏ ᵈ๏, 𝓷๏ ϻⒶ︎𝐓︎𝐓︎𝓔︎я︎ 𝐓︎𝔥𝓔︎ Ć︎๏s𝐓︎.❞ ★★★...