Metal Heart [ Jikook ]

By breathsless

Jeon Jungkook has always been against the thought of marriage, of relationships, of kids. He's never wanted t... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue

Chapter 14

37.3K 1.7K 2.1K
By breathsless

Head throbbing, phone beeping; Jungkook was not a happy camper. He had his buzzing device tucked deep into his pocket, set on vibrate, but that, of course, didn't block it out completely. He was looking at the ground, hoping that would help his headache somehow, but it only seemed to become worse and worse as the day went on. He'd been worried about Jimin all day-- of course. Of course. Why would he not be? Jimin was so much to him. So much. And of course he trusted Seokjin, of course he knew Seokjin would find some sort of answer, but Jungkook couldn't guarantee that the answer would bring Jimin back-- and he was still so worried, it was driving him mad.

For a while, Jungkook wondered why he cared so much. He hadn't known Jimin for long. Jimin wasn't even real. He was just something Seokjin had created-- and that still confused Jungkook. Why would Seokjin make something for him? But he also remembered that he'd kind of maybe fallen in love with Jimin, or at least liked being in a relationship with him-- liked kissing him on the lips and liked waking up next to him. Jungkook was still so confused about everything. He swore he was in love, but he didn't know what being in love was, or what it felt like. Was it supposed to feel so obvious? Was it supposed to be more subtle? Was it supposed to happen so quickly-- with something that wasn't even human? (But he acted so human--)

Jungkook lay his head down on the library table, letting out a long, long sigh. He was spending his lunch in the library for "research," but he really just wanted to sit at one of the little round tables and think for a little while, reflect. He was happy with Jimin. None of these thoughts ever ran through his mind when he was with Jimin. He didn't have to question it when he had the robot around; everything was so natural with Metal Heart.

Jungkook decided he really, really, really needed Jimin back. He rather be blissfully, obliviously in love or happy or whatever it was than be sitting here, all alone, thinking about what everything meant and remembering how fucking cold Jimin was when he died.

Jungkook only had one more class after lunch. It was probably the longest class of his life, but it was worth it; the feeling he got when he was finally able to grab his bag and run out of the class-- the feeling of relief and going to see Seokjin again, was really worth it. He knew he should wait; he should find Taehyung and tell him everything was okay. He had no doubt Taehyung had been texting him all day long, had no doubt he was worried about Jungkook not being at lunch, but he could wait another couple minutes-- right? He could wait until Jungkook was with Seokjin. He was in class, anyway-- for five more minutes. Yes, yes, he could wait.

"Jin-hyung?" Jungkook called at Seokjin's door, a habit when he knocked. It took Seokjin a minute to get to the door, something Jungkook understood when a sweet smell hit him and music filled his ears; Seokjin must be cooking. The man seemed happy to see him, immediately pulling Jungkook inside and asking him how his day was. Jungkook felt better already, standing next to Jin. Jimin might still be dead, and Seokjin still might not know what was wrong, but Jungkook felt better.

Maybe he just really needed Seokjin.

"I just started making lunch. Taehyung texted me all worried earlier because you weren't at lunch. I promised I would make you eat." Seokjin said. Oh! Jungkook thought, because he'd completely forgotten about Taehyung-- texting him back, at least. He pulled out his phone as he followed Seokjin to the kitchen, as Seokjin handed him an already-made plate and told him to sit. Jungkook decided to take a picture of Seokjin when he sat down-- proof to Taehyung that he was okay. I'm with Jin-hyung the text said. Jungkook thought Seokjin looked really good in that picture.

"Jimin's okay." Seokjin said, and Jungkook looked up from his phone, eager. He heard a buzz of a reply from Taehyung, but he didn't let himself pay attention to it, rather focusing in on Seokjin's words, "I figured out what was wrong with him, anyway. It's his heart-- I'm not exactly sure why it stopped, but it did. I think it might have had something to do with the cold. I just have to fix his heart, is all."

"Do you think I did something?" Jungkook asked quietly. Seokjin took a minute to answer, as he'd just taken a bite of his food. He held up a finger and shook his hand, quickly swallowing what he had in his mouth-- "No! No, of course not. I told you he might malfunction sometimes. It's alright-- he's fine. I just have to fix him."

"Okay." Jungkook whispered. Seokjin spoke again before his next bite, "It shouldn't take me too long. Maybe a couple days-- do you want to stay with me until he's fixed?"

"I--" Jungkook wanted to say yes. He wanted to say yes badly, but did he really need Seokjin to help him? Was he really so dependant that he couldn't spend a few days on his own? He was so spoiled, he thought, to always have someone taking care of him. He was constantly fed by Seokjin, by his school, by Taehyung-- why did he need his friends to be his parents now? Why did he still need to be guided? He shook his head, "No-- I'm okay. Thank you, hyung."

"Are you sure?" Seokjin asked, and-- no, he wasn't sure. In fact, he did want to stay, but he didn't want to be dependant. This was an opportunity, Jungkook thought. Things happen for a reason-- something Jungkook had always believed in-- and this reason was loneliness; Jungkook needed to be lonely for a little while to learn how to be independant. He nodded this time, "Yes, I'm sure. I'll be okay, hyung."

"Okay," Seokjin agreed, "But drop by after school, okay? I miss seeing you every day."

"I miss you too." Jungkook said quietly. He sat up a little straighter in his seat, "Did you have a good day, hyung? Work today?"

"Yep! I've been working on a project with the team." Seokjin said. His voice had changed a bit. Jungkook frowned; he was lying. Seokjin looked nervous at the look on Jungkook's face, but he covered it up well-- at least, well enough that Jungkook decided to let it go, "It's just a little project, though. Um. We're not really sure how far we'll get."

"Experimenting?" Jungkook asked, keeping his questions brief, simple. Seokjin never lied unless he had a good reason, so Jungkook decided not to push. Maybe it wasn't even important.

"Yep! We're in that phase now. It'll probably be a few more weeks before we start creating anything. We're actually not sure if we will, we're just looking for some answers right now, coming up with theories. It's fun." Seokjin smiled. Jungkook smiled, too. Seokjin asked the question this time, "What about school? Taehyung was really worried about you today-- are you alright?"

"Better now. I missed Jimin. I-I missed you." Jungkook said, and Seokjin smiled bright, "I missed you too, Kookie. And I'm sure Jimin misses you as well. He'll be really happy to see you again when he's fixed."

"Isn't he dead?" Jungkook asked. Seokjin looked quite shocked at the blunt question. Jungkook stuttered out more questions, explanations, "I-I mean-- his brain doesn't work or anything, right? He's just... dead?"

"Well. Yes." Seokjin said. "His brain shuts down when his heart does. He is... yes. Dead."

Jungkook nodded silently. Seokjin tried to comfort him, "But he's not.... He's-- he'll be alive. Don't think about it like that."

"How did you do it, hyung?" Jungkook asked. He'd been wondering for a long time-- how and why, but he didn't think he would get an answer for why, so he asked how instead, "How did you make him so human? How did you make him love me?"

"I, uh...." Seokjin hesitated to answer. "Well. I just gave him some, uh, some memories--"

"Who's memories?" Jungkook cut in. Seokjin looked extremely nervous now. His eyes were flicking around-- to the left, thinking, creating, "Well. I just-- I created some, you know. I made a software and I... gave him some thoughts. They're his memories, now."

"Were they someone else's?" Jungkook asked. Seokjin created again; he lied, "No. I just made them up."

"How could you do that? Wouldn't that take years?" Jungkook asked, and Seokjin nodded, "Yes. It did take years to create Jimin."

"What took the longest? His head?" Jungkook asked. Seokjin chuckled, "Surprisingly enough, it was his heart. It isn't his head that holds love-- it's his heart. He uses his mind to create. He uses his heart to remember."

"That's really beautiful, hyung." Jungkook smiled. Seokjin's expression was careful-- something was wrong, they could both tell. And Jungkook really didn't want to ask, but he had to, "Why? Hyung, why did you make him? I know you said you wanted me to love someone, but... I'm only in college. Do you think I need someone? Am I that dependant?"

Jungkook's voice was getting smaller as he spoke. Seokjin sighed. He began to speak in a way that he often did when it came to Jungkook-- to gentle, too careful. Jungkook cut him off before he could even process the first three words Seokjin had said, "Don't hold back, hyung. Please tell me the truth. Be blunt, if you have to."

"Yes. You're dependant, sometimes, but there's nothing wrong with that! I like taking care of you! Jimin... he likes taking care of you, too." Seokjin said.

"Did he tell you that?" Jungkook asked. Seokjin nodded. Jungkook didn't believe him, "But it isn't him, is it? It's you. Your memories, aren't they? Jimin told me once, that you shared your memories with him. I didn't really think about it until now. You love me, don't you, hyung?"

Seokjin stayed quiet. Jungkook picked up his phone and his bag with numb hands, slid off the chair and took a few steps back, "I'm-- I'm going home, hyung."

"Wait," Seokjin said, and Jungkook listened. Seokjin stood up, but he didn't walk forward. He didn't comfort Jungkook like he always would when he did something wrong. All he did was apologize, "I'm sorry, Jungkook."

"For what?" Jungkook asked. Seokjin looked so defeated, Jungkook almost felt guilty. He'd been so ignorant this whole time, he thought. He hadn't even realized. Why else would Seokjin make him someone to love? It only made sense that Jimin acted so much like Seokjin. It only made sense that Jungkook would love him so quick, would feel comfortable around him and miss him so quick. He was Seokjin-- with a different name, a different face, and a different body.

And suddenly, Jungkook felt betrayed by both of them.

"You don't have to fix him." Jungkook whispered. Seokjin looked shocked; Jungkook tried not to look at his face, "I'll be okay. Thanks, hyung, for trying."

"Wait--" Seokjin said again, and he reached out, too, but Jungkook didn't listen this time. He walked home, and he tried not to think. He didn't cry, like he thought he might, and he didn't feel angry, like he thought he might. He just felt confused, even though all the answers had been handed to him. And he wasn't even sure why, anymore.

So, he just walked; and he tried not to think about it.

A/N: STILL NOT GIVING UP I JUST REALLY FUCKING SUCK AT UPDATING
Also, I feel like Jungkook's character changed way too much this chapter; I'm sorry about that

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 449 15
"This one will look nice on you." "Now I surely know that your choice is so bad." I said while looking at that dress, he chose. He came near me, and...
6.5K 808 10
[COMPLETED] Kim Seokjin hates kids. But he loves Kim Taehyung. And Kim Taehyung has a kid. [No smut 🙅🏻‍♀️] Published on: 21st January, 2022. En...
2.3K 164 15
Never did Taehyung imagine that a day would come, when he would agree to a marriage that was the complete opposite of what his mother had told him. H...
326K 12.3K 34
"I know you hate me... but the problem is I love you. But for you...I'll go." - #2 on Jikook (thank you so much for reading :)