Viking Tribute

By JVernis

At sixteen, Sunngifu is more of a spoiled child than a dignified thane's daughter. She is destined to a life... More

Author's Note
Introduction
Chapter 1: Unwelcome Guests
Chapter 2: Fateful Banquet
Chapter 3: Ambush
Chapter 4: Taken
Chapter 5: Lust
Chapter 6: Drowning
Chapter 7: Questions
Chapter 8: Stormy Night
Chapter 9: Dinner Time
Chapter 10: Late Night
Chapter 11: Day Out
Chapter 12: Conflict
Chapter 13: Surrender
Chapter 14: Travel
Chapter 15: Arrival
Chapter 16: Settling in
Chapter 17: Mead abuse
Chapter 18: Punishment
Chapter 19: Revelations
Chapter 20: Routine
Chapter 21: Evasion
Chapter 22: Locked In
Chapter 23: Illness
Chapter 24: Close Call
Chapter 25: Learning Curve
Chapter 26: Boathouse
Chapter 27: A Strange Bath
Chapter 28: Rejection
Chapter 28: second part.
Chapter 29: Enlightment
Chapter 30: A Slave's Life
Chapter 31: Jol
Chapter 31: part two
Chapter 32: Mending
Chapter 32: part two
Chapter 33: Fear
Chapter 34: Wave
Chapter 35: Rekindling
Chapter 36: Extended Stay
Chapter 37: Conversation
Chapter 38: Seer
Chapter 39: Freedom
Chapter 41 Bride To Be
Chapter 42: Wedding fright
Chapter 43: Handfast
Chapter 44: Banquet
Chapter 45: New Life Resolutions
Chapter 46: Geese and Bows
Chapter 47: Ambush
Chapter 48: Race for Life
Chapter 49: Naming
Epilogue
Notes

Chapter 40: Courting

103K 4.4K 211
By JVernis

My first free night wasn't different from the ones prior, but for one detail. In the morning, I found a small pouch on Lord Einarr's pillow.

His side of the bed was still warm. I dressed as fast as I could, considering that bending was becoming increasingly difficult. I grabbed the leather bag and I went to get breakfast.

I found Lord Einarr in the main room, seated at the table, finishing his bowl. I stood on the threshold, unsure of what to do. How was one to behave when they were free, but not quite? What was my current status: servant, concubine? Could I sit with the men or should I serve them?

"Here you are, Sunngifu! Did you sleep well?" He had noticed me. It was too late to turn back.

"Very well, and a little too long, my Lord." I didn't move, waiting for a clue that failed to appear.

"You must be famished. Here," he patted the bench beside him, "come and join me."

I perched uneasily on the edge of the cushion. Any further and I would be unable to get up. Foraging in my purse, I handed him my find. "You forgot this, I believe."

A playful smile stretched his lips. "This is for you, little dreki."

I gawked at him. "For me? Are you certain?"

"Is it so unusual for a man to offer a gift to his intended? It is yours. Open it."

I was voiceless. It was so unexpected. I had grown so used to having nothing of my own that it felt strange to receive a present.

I kept it on my palm for a while, watching it as if it would vanish any moment. Then I opened it in frenzy, revealing a string of beads nestled in the leather. I held it in the light; gold and amber shining softly. "It is beautiful, my Lord, thank you."

He grinned and arranged his gift around my neck, his fingers caressing the marks caused by the chafing of the collar. "It will hide these and compliment your beauty."

"You didn't have to give me anything." I could not refuse to marry him, even if I wanted to. My father's word was binding in their law. My consent wasn't required.

"I did wed an unwilling woman once, Sunngifu. It is a bad omen. To avoid repeating my error, I intend to court you until the ceremony."

Was I still dreaming? I pinched my arm and winced. I was awake. Lord Einarr wanted to court me. The idea was so preposterous that I burst in laughter. I could see him getting miffed at my reaction but I couldn't stop.

"I'm sssooorry, my Lord, I...." Tears flooding my cheeks, I bent over in uncontrollable mirth as I pictured him on one knee, harp in hand, singing poetry.

Shaking his head, he ignored me and focused on the slice of bread he was buttering.

Slowly, I calmed down enough to think. Memories popped in my mind, of his care and kindness, but also of his harsh punishments. He seemed annoyingly certain of his success. Did he really believe that gifts and sweet words would be enough to win me over, when he had given me so much grief? I might have accepted my fate, but I still resented how he had forced it on me. I trusted him to take care of me and our children; I would fulfill my duties as a wife, and would certainly find some of them pleasurable. That was the deal. Loving him was never part of it.

So I placated my humblest smile on my face: "I apologize, my Lord, this was unexpected. It is very generous of you, I am flattered."

I don't think he was duped. He knew me well, but thought he was up for the challenge. The glance he gave me said so. I beat my eyelashes, defying him. This was a battle I intended to win.

He was good at this game. It didn't take me long to admit that I might have been overconfident.

It started as soon as I returned to our room. I rushed inside and nearly tripped on one of two large chests that had not been there earlier. Grumbling, I opened the wooden shutters to look at them. The first one seemed familiar. I dropped to my knees to examine the front carvings, fishing boats on a stormy sea. Just as the ones my father had commissioned for me upon noticing my escapades on the rampart.

Hands shaking, I lifted the lid. The familiar scent of my favorite blend of herbs and lavender hit me before I could even glance inside. I instantly felt transported back home, in my old bedroom. My eyes closed, while I savored the moment. When I opened them, my dresses were there, neatly folded, together with my smocks, belts, veils and shoes. I squealed at the sight of the small box hidden underneath. Inside, wrapped in a piece of brocade, were all my jewels. I picked up a gold brooch and held it to my heart. It was my mother's favorite, and made my father smile every time I wore it.

I sighed, remembering that none of this fine clothing would be fitting me for a while.

"Don't you want to know what is in the other one?"

My heart nearly stopped at the sound of Lord Einarr's voice. I had been so absorbed in my memories that I hadn't heard him come in. "I do, but I might request your help to get up. I feel like a beached whale."

He chuckled and grabbed my elbows, effortlessly lifting me to my feet.

"Did you arrange all this? I don't recall seeing my belongings on the boat."

"I had them sent on the other ship. You were not to know before you were free."

"Why? It could have helped me acknowledge that my father gave me away..." This would indeed have been proof enough that my return was not expected.

"I thought it might make you sad, remind you of all that you had lost." His hand caressed my cheek and I leaned into it, touched by the depth of his care. I wasn't sure I was happy with his decision, but I couldn't blame him. "Do you need help for the other chest?"

I stared at him, pondering whether he was mocking me. "It is not mine, I have never seen it."

His eyes sparkled with mischief. "It is yours, I assure you. Are you calling me a liar?"

It was my turn to play coy. "There are many names I could call you, and liar is not one of them..."

He stepped closer, his face contorted in fake anger. I wasn't fooled; the corner of his mouth twitching up was a dead giveaway. "And what would those be, if you please?"

"Big, handsome, moody bear!" I giggled and dove under his shoulder, escaping him. I might be heavy but I wasn't slow. And neither was he. His arms caught me from behind, bringing me flush against him. His laugh shook me.

"I can live with that, little dreki. Now be good and open the box."

I wanted to delay it, annoy him a little more, but my natural curiosity won the fight. He supported me while I lowered myself to a crouch and fumbled with the key. It was stuck and wouldn't budge. "Maybe it's not locked..." he whispered in my hair.

Grumbling, I pulled the silly piece of metal out and pushed the top up. It gave with a creak and I retorted: "Maybe someone should have oiled the hinges..."

More dresses appeared, three in my favorite colors, deep blue and moss green, and a couple of brown and dark yellow. I spread them on the bed, my fingers testing the softness of the wool. The last one had a shine to it and I gazed at it in awe. It was silk.

"My Lord, this is too much..."

"You are to be my bride, and your former clothes would not fit. You need to dress according to your station."

He was right, of course. A woman's attire was a display of her husband's wealth. Lady Disaelfr always wore many jewels on fine garbs.

"This is not all, look further..."

Underneath a pile of smocks of the best English linen I found two large gold brooches shaped like turtles, similar to those I had seen on local women.

"You can pin them to hold your upper dress and hang your necklace between them. I hope they are to your taste."

I grinned. "Everything is beautiful, thank you. When did you have all these made?"

"During your stay at Domarr's farm. It helped me miss you less..."

I threw my arms around his neck. "Magge was good company yet something wasn't right. My bed was cold..."

He smiled and hugged me. "So was mine, little dreki, so was mine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Reborn As The Wretch By Grazy

Historical Fiction

32K 1.1K 47
Camille is a student at Venezia Academy who loves to read books, particularly novels. She is, nevertheless, a target of the school bullies. She fell...
40.3K 1.8K 18
"Rana Sa...." Why are you trembling...are you ok should I call someone for help.... "Sh...ssshhhhh...... Ahana....i would be inside you till now if y...
222K 14K 126
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
31.5K 2.8K 55
~ Dangerous Life Ahead ~ • Book 2 of LIFE OF PANCHALI TRILOGY • Panchali Rathore, Ex- CEO of Rathore Industries, now the Crown Princess of Hastinapur...