Black Secrets & White Lies [O...

By APeriwinkleSky

Head down, eyes open. That's how I play. It's how I've always played. Just one more golden rule in my life: N... More

Chapter 1 - The New Girl
Chapter 2 - So Many People
Chapter 3 - Relentless Tears
Chapter 4 - Homes and Houses
Chapter 5 - A Friend?
Chapter 6 - Bets
Chapter 8 - Two Slaps

Chapter 7 - Party Time

359 12 15
By APeriwinkleSky

I struggled in the grasp of my captor, biting down on the hand. It released me and the owner swore "damn it, Rose. It's me, shut up, there's someone over there." Hissed Dave. I froze, staring at the figure in the corner of the room, a heard a click.

"Come out." Said the man, he brandished the gun. Neither of us did anything. "Come out," he snapped "or I'll shoot." We stepped out into the white light spilling on the floor, I squinted, trying to make out the man's features. "Ah," he said softly, coming to stand beside us "it's you."

"John!" I gasped. An old friend. Well, he was a friend. I'm not too sure about that now. I'm not sure where we stand since...the incident.

"Rose," he sighed "want to tell me what you're doing here?"

"Please," I shook my head "John, please-"

"It's sir to you, Rose." His voice cold.

"John, please. It wasn't my-"

"Stop it." He shook his head, "just stop it Rose. Don't even say it anymore. You're here, sneaking around behind my back and you want us to go back to how we were?"

"You were friends with my father, he-"

"Get out," John gestured with his gun "get out now and I won't kill you. I don't want to kill you Rose, but I'll have to if you give me no choice."

I tugged at Dave's arm and he snapped his head to look at me "are you crazy? We come here empty handed, we're not leaving empty handed. Your father will kill me!"

"It's not here," chuckled John "you think I'd keep it here in this run down place?" I looked at him. He didn't seem like he was lying. But he was a pro at it, so I couldn't  be sure. Dave pulled me towards the window, cursing under his breath. I looked back at John "I'm sorry," he said "I'm sorry things had to be this way. But they are."

*****

"You can't wear that!" Said Kristy, coming into the hallway of my house. I didn't want her to come to mine but it was ok because my dad was away. He was fuming because of what happened with John, he was taking matters into his own hands.

"I'm not," I said, leading her up the stairs "you came over too early, I'm not dressed yet." Friday night. Party night. Betting night. Lila hadn't told me how many people had betted on my situation, but judging by the wad of notes she had by the end of the day, something told me I was favourite of the week.

"Oh," said Kristy, ruffling her blonde hair. She straightened the hem of her short green dress and gazed about my room. "So, what are you wearing?"

"Jeans-"

"No," she said, shaking her head.

"Yes," I said, nodding my own.

"You can't-"

"I can." I said "and I will. Before you open your mouth again, let me tell you, skinny jeans. You know, not just any jeans. And a nice top."

Kristy closed her eyes "ok, ok. You can get away with that. But you have to wear high heels...you do have some, right?"

I chewed my lip and dug through my wardrobe "yes!" I pulled some out "I hope they still fit me..."

Kristy rolled her eyes "I so have to take you shopping one of these days."

I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror, frowning. I hate high heels, they make you so...so unable to do things. I looked at my bare arms and rubbed make-up over a few bruises and scratches, no cuts thank goodness. Only my shoulders were bare and, thankfully, they appeared to be clean. No scars. I sighed, thinking how nice it would be not to have to worry about people seeing. People thinking. It might be nice to be comfortable in my own skin for once.

But it doesn't matter.

It never will.

*****

Music drummed in my head, every beat rattling my skull, thrumming through my heart. I swear my body vibrated because of it. "Who's house are we at?" I said to Kristy, who was already pulling away to mingle in the crowd. The realisation frightened me. Where was I?

"What?" She yelled at me.

"Who's house are we at?" I shouted back.

"Does it matter?" She said, grinning.

"Where are we?" I said, but Kristy was already out of sight throwing a quick 'I can't hear you' over her shoulder. Slowly, I walked to a corner of the room and sunk into the wall wishing I would go right through it. Why had I gone? What was the point?

"You better keep your word," said a voice.

"Hey, Lila." I said.

"I'm not kidding, Rose. People have bet big time on you saying yes. They either recon you won't turn Riley down, or are too soft to do anything about it. I'll lose out big time if you don't have the guts."

"Soft?" I spat, my eyes growing dark "I'm not bloody weak, I never will be." I clenched my fist, anger rising in my head.

"Woah, ok, don't freak out on me," said Lila, holding up her hands.

"Sorry," I said "got a little carried away." I sighed, scanning the crowd for familiar faces. The sooner the stupid boy came and spoke to me, the sooner I could get out of this place. How had I even looked forward to the party? Why?

It was before my mood was broken by John. By the warehouse. By John again. I didn't need reminding...I didn't need to be reminded it was my fault.

All my fault.

Always would be.

A tear hung in my eye, threatening to spill but I pulled it back with such force I had to smile.

A fake smile, of course.

I was pulled from my thoughts by laughter beside me and I turned to look at Lila and Liam, joking about something. "Hey there," said Liam, waving.

"Hi," I said.

"This is a party you know," Liam came to stand beside me and tugged at the sleeve of my jacket.

"I know...I'm cold." I said. Truth was I was worried about scratches. Marks. What if I'd missed something? And my coat was dark. I blended in better, I almost became the wall.

"Lies," said Liam, smiling. "Take it off. You only stand out more if you have it on, people are giving you funny looks."

"How did you-?"

"The look on your face. You looked as if you wished you were a part of the air."

"I guess," I shrugged off my coat and folded it up small enough to stuff inside my bag that hung at my side. The creases would be horrendous to get out but I'd worry about that when the time came.

"I suppose you don't know anyone," Liam laughed "ok, stupid thing to say. Of course you don't know anyone. I know what it's like...to be alone. The new guy. I get dragged off to places with my Dad sometimes and I don't know anyone. The worst time to be alone is when you're in a crowd, right?" Liam sighed "but you know, you don't have to stand here all alone. You can come stand with me, or I can stay standing here...but maybe you'd like to meet some other people too."

Something about Liam's words made me think...although I couldn't quite put my finger on what. Perhaps it was because he was being so nice...because he understood. "I wouldn't want to keep you," I said.

"Then I guess you'll have to come with me then, won't you?" Liam pulled me other to a few people, it was hard to distinguish small groups standing together since everyone seemed to drift around or dance or whatever it was they were doing. "Rose, this is Aaron, Aaron this is Rose." I looked at the boy with sandy coloured hair and eyes so dark you could barely see where the iris met the pupil. He grinned at me, nodded, and said hi. "Aaron isn't a bad guy, but it's best you meet him now before he's drunk and out of his mind."

"Just because you don't drink, Liam." Laughed Aaron.

"Well-" Began Liam.

"You know, I've never seen you wasted." Said another guy I didn't know the name of.

"It's because Liam has this crazy thing about staying sober." Aaron said.

"I just don't really fancy ending up on the floor, passed out at the end of the night." Liam folded his arms.

"You don't know what you're missing, man." Said Aaron "what about you, Rose? Do you drink?"

"No," I shook my head and Aaron raised an eyebrow. "Well...not at parties. Only at home." When I'm sad. When I'm angry. When things are just too bad to think about... "Not at parties. Like Liam said, I don't really fancy waking up on the floor in the morning with no idea what's happened to me."

"Darn," said Aaron, "and I hoped you'd be drunk enough to give Riley a go."

"You betted too?" Said Liam.

"Sure," Aaron sipped his drink "I don't expect Rose to go with anyone like him while sober...I mean, look at her." He nodded, eyes looking at me in a way that made me want to run and hide. "You aren't one to throw yourself at someone, I can tell. But, come on, you could have anyone. You're-"

"I think you've said enough." Said Liam, glancing at my red face. I wanted to run so bad.

"What?" Aaron laughed "it's a compliment. Why, I'd-"

"And I'd rather you didn't." I snapped, my voice hard. This conversation had gone on long enough.

"Sorry girl, didn't mean to touch a nerve. But if you ever wanted-"

"No, I don't." I said "you said yourself, I don't throw myself at people. I'm not about to start now."

"I'm not a bad guy," Aaron shrugged "you just need to spend some time with me."

"And that went out the window when you started this conversation. Be careful, Aaron. I'm not one to be pushed around." I turned to leave and crashed into someone. I muttered my apologies as he caught me by my arm.

"Well hello there," the boy purred. "Looks like you're falling at my feet already," he chuckled at his own joke. "I'm Riley, babe. Heard of me?"

*****

A/N: So, pretty long chapter. I'd love to hear from you guys - thanks so much for reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 1.9K 28
.( only for 17+ ....mature language will be there...so read on your own risk...) This is My story so do not copy it... (\_/) ( °¢° ) .How coul...
4.5M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
21K 999 32
"She's right! She's right! I don't cut in the right spot." My hold tightens on my wrist. The red blood oozes out of my wrist. I slide up and grab my...
296K 9.5K 42
After Maggie Jones' School was involved in a shooting that shook the country, her parents decide to pack up everything and move into the state of Wis...