The School of Sorcery

By katarablaine

I am not a perfect person but I’m good enough to make a difference. I may not stand to all people but I can s... More

Introduction
Preface
Prologue
Chapter 1: A dream
Chapter 2: The Unexplained
Chapter 3: Kobe
Chapter 5: The Hunt
Chapter 6: A New World
Chapter 7: The City

Chapter 4: Agustus

135 3 0
By katarablaine

Chapter 4

Agustus

I heard something, a scratching noise. I opened my eyes and saw that I was facing the window with the sun shining brightly. Now wonder my dream was that bright. I heard a soft growl of a dog, I saw Kobe. He was the one making the noise. I stretched my arms, stood up and rubbed my eyes.

  As I yawned, I said “Kobe, why are you scratching the door?” I approached him and crouched. He stopped scratching and turned to look at me. He moved closer and licked my hand.

 “Do you want to go out now? I have to fix myself, take a bath and go to school first. We’ll go search for your owner when I get back okay?” I don’t know why but it seems like he understands what I am saying. He moved away from the door and he rested himself on the mat. I heard a soft knock outside my door.

   Anthony stuck his head in the door. “Lara, are you up?”  

   “Yeah, I just woke up.” he looked like he just woke up too.

  He sighed “Look, I’m sorry about what happened yesterday. I –

 He froze and quickly looked at the dog and then back at me with a questioning look.

   “He’s name is Kobe, I found him last night. And don’t worry about what happened yesterday, it’s cool.” I tried to smile to let him know that I had forgiven him.

   “Uh-huh. And what were you doing staying up late last night?”

    “Well, I couldn’t sleep so I decided to go to the garden for some fresh air then I saw him there. And I broke an empty pot too.”

   He folded his arms on his chest and leaned at the wall. “Don’t worry about the pot.” He smiled.

 “So what are you going to do now? Keep him?” Kobe stood up and move towards Anthony, he is rubbing his head on Anthony’s leg. Anthony crouched down and patted Kobe’s head.

  “I am planning on returning him to his owner after school. I really don’t know his name. He has a collar but it’s blank, nothing was written there so I gave him a name. It’s easier for me to call him and he seems to like it.”

  “Would you like some assistance?” he looked at the dog and he was playing Kobe’s hair.

  “Sure. I mean maybe he came from far away.”

  “Hey don’t get the wrong idea that I am doing this for you. I am doing this because of this cute little guy over here.”

   I looked at him shocked that he would say that. “I was just kidding, Lara. I don’t want anything to happen to you, remember?” he moved closer and ruined my hair.  

 “You should’ve seen your reaction! Haha! ”

I flushed.

I laughed and he did too.

  We moved down the kitchen and into the dining table. Kobe followed us. Kobe moved straight to Mrs. McKinley and wiggling its tail.   

  “Well, what do we have here, a dog? Where did you found him?” she crouched down to hold Kobe and patted his head.

  “He’s name is Kobe. Lara found him last night in the garden.” Anthony said.

  “Well is he lost? Does he have any owner? We can keep him if you like.”

  “I am going to look for his owner after school. And Kobe’s not his real name. I just gave him a name and he seemed to like it. And besides, even if he has a collar, there wasn’t any name lying in it.”  

  “Okay, I’ll keep an eye on him until you guys get home from school.”

  “Are you sure? If you are going somewhere else, you can leave him here. He doesn’t look like any trouble.” I looked at Kobe. He is resting at Mrs. McKinley’s feet. I feel like the dog already knows her.

  “Its fine dear, I don’t have anything to do today so I’ll look out for him.”

I thanked her and we finished eating. I got upstairs and do my routine. Take a bath and fix myself. I used my powers to lift my bag and it moved towards me and I caught it. “This is coming really handy” I thought to myself, and headed downstairs and go to school.

  Like the usual, Anthony is waiting for me at the front door. Kobe ran towards me before I closed the door and I patted his head.

  “Bye Mr. and Mrs. McKinley, bye Kobe.” I winked at him and closed the door. Anthony and I walked to the school without talking to each other. I think he might still be thinking about what happened yesterday. Should I tell him?

 Tell him that I have this power and show him a proof like moving something and show him that my eyes are glowing whenever I use it? What will he say?

I have a feeling that he would believe me now and I trust him. He’s been my friend since I was five and rest assured that he is my best friend.

 Having this… this power makes me feel completely different from all other normal people. I want to talk to somebody about it so badly. I couldn’t keep it to myself. Finally, I have decided, I’ll show it to him tonight. I have to make sure that nobody else is awake so it’ll be really late by the time I show it to him.

 We reached our school and I looked at the where I saw the man from yesterday. There’s nothing there. He might be able to help me. Why not search for him as well, while we search for Kobe’s owner too? I might see him again.

 We reached the school’s front door. Anthony said he’ll wait for me and we’ll go looking for Kobe’s owner.

  Our classes went in a blur. At the dismissal, Anthony is waiting for me and I saw Li and Carla too. I approached them.

  “Lara, Anthony said you had a dog wondering around you garden and said that you would return him to his owner. Can I help?” Li said.

  “Sure, we’ll make it quick so we can go home early. Your father might ground you again if you go home late.” I said teasing him.

  He smiled and flashed his dazzling white smile. “Awesome! And nah it’s cool. My parents are not home today, they are out of town for four days because of some business trading.”

  “Oh, well then, were all settled. Carla, are you coming too?” I kept my tone leveled.

  “Yes, I want to help too.” She smiled.

  “Then what are we still doing here? Let’s go!” Anthony said with a mischievous looking smile.

  We got into our house and said that we will meet Li and Carla at the valley street after picking up Kobe. Kobe followed us outside and I said to Mrs. McKinley that we’ll be back before dinner.

 It looks like Kobe doesn’t need to be tied; he is following us wherever we go. We meet up with Li and Carla at the valley street and start our search.

  “Okay so where would we start?” Li said.

  “Hmmn, let’s go around this street first, he might be just living here close that he happened to stumble in our garden.” I muttered.

 We circled through the valley street first, we were observing Kobe if he remembers a particular place. Kobe seems to be still and not moving whenever we stop, looks like it’s not this place.

 We went to other streets too and still no luck. We did ask people too if they recognize the dog but they usually say “I don’t know him” or “I haven’t seen him around here, sorry kids”.

  “I’m tired, I’m hungry, and the urge to sit down gets strong. Can we go now?” Anthony whined.

  “I thought you said you wanted to help?” I said and shot him a knowing look.

   “Yes I want to help but we’ve been searching for hours now and still no luck.”

   “We can try again tomorrow.” Carla said.

   “But there’s Basketball championship tomorrow?” I said and we all looked at Li, so did Kobe.

   “Don’t worry about it guys, it’s just a game. I am more concerned in finding Kobe’s owner now. I want this fury little guy home.” Li said patting Kobe’s head. Kobe leaned into it and licked Li’s hand.

  “Okay, we have no luck today. We might find his owner tomorrow.” Anthony said.

  “We can ask for help in the police station!” Carla interrupted. Anthony raised an eyebrow but we all seemed to agree.

  “This might actually work.” Li said. We all looked at Kobe and then to each other and walked to the police station. One of the police men approached us and asked us questions like “where did you found him”, “when did this happen” and he asked for our phone number and address so he can inform us when he finds a lead.

 After going to the police station, we headed home and we said goodbye to each other and I thanked them.

 Now that we have reached our house, I am feeling nervous now. I don’t know how I would start. Would I say “Hey Anthony, I have magical powers, Cool isn’t it?” nah, that won’t work out. Blasted! Maybe I’ll think of something later after eating and getting some rest.

I couldn’t stay still. Even at our dinner. I feel tense but I am most careful so they won’t notice it and ask me what was wrong. I tried to shake it off for a little while.  

After getting some rest and finished eating, I went upstairs to pretend that I’ll be sleeping now but I finished my homework before I said that I am going to sleep.

 I waited patiently until midnight, where everybody seems to be asleep. Good thing I didn’t drift off to sleep while waiting. Thinking of ways on how to explain it to him helped me to stay awake.

 I heard something at my window. Someone is throwing a small rock at the window. I stood up to check on it and I saw the man outside.

The man from our school who disappeared yesterday!

 I quickly fixed my hair and opened the door quietly. I dashed downstairs, helter-skelter. Kobe followed me. If he’s a bad man, then Kobe will protect me right? And I can knock him off by using my powers to throw something at him or I could even start a fire or something to shoot him.

I opened the door and I saw him by the post where the light is facing down directly at him. It’s just the two of us outside. He was still wearing the same black robe since I last saw him.

 I took a few steps forward and I was surprised to see that Kobe ran towards him. I thought Kobe sensed that he is a bad man and he attacked him but he ran happily towards him.

 Could he be…Kobe’s owner?

   The man crouched and reached out his hand to hold Kobe and patted his head. Then the man looked at me.

   “Can’t sleep?” the man said with a grin.

   “Y-yes. Are you Kobe’s owner? ” he stood up and smiled at me. I couldn’t really see his face that clearly because he is standing behind the post light. I just guessed that he smiled because he’s teeth was white and there’s one gold piece of his teeth.

   “Yes I am. My name’s Agustus.” He answered politely.

   “I saw what you did the other day at school. You disappeared by the tree. How’d you do that?” I muttered. I couldn’t help it. I was eager to know something.

   He stood there relaxed and he is watching my reaction.

  “I know that you did really disappear. I saw you and I am not dreaming.”

  “Yes you are correct Lara.”

  “How did you know my name?”

  “My dog told me and I know what you did in your history class the other day.”

   I froze. How could he possibly know that? I know that this is the part that I should be afraid and run inside the house to be safe but some part of me is saying to stay and listen to what he has to say.

  “You’re dog told you? And what do you mean you know what I did in our history class?”

  “Yes, well, he can speak.  And don’t deny that you don’t have anything special in you. At first, I was not sure if you really are like one of us until I sent my dog to you and he confirmed it. You’re a late bloomer. You possess a power that only few people have. You’re eyes glow whenever you use your power but you are unaware of it and unable to control it.”

   “Do you have something like mine too?”

   “Yes. We are called sorcerers.”  

  My mouth dropped open and my heart began to beat fast and hard after he said those word “sorcerers.” I took a step back. So it’s true, they are real after all.

   “How would I know if you can be trusted? You know I don’t really talk to strangers Mr. Agustus. I’ll better go to bed now.” I turned around and then stopped when the door closed.

   “What proof do you want? Should I shoot fire with my hand? Or make an object fly?” He raised his left hand and a pot of flower lifted to the air. He raised his left hand and a fire ignited

I can teach you to control and master your skills. I have a school, a school for sorcerers like you.”

   One of the lights went on and I heard Anthony came down, calling me.

   “Feel free to call my name if you are interested, and I’ll be there. Just say Agustus sundriatri.” He winked at me and disappeared like what he did the other day, and then another voice interrupted.

  “Lara, what are you doing here outside?” Anthony said. The man was gone and Anthony didn’t see it. I looked away from where the man was standing and looked to Anthony.

  “I was just getting some fresh air. I can’t sleep.” I lied. I changed my mind. I’ll tell him when I’m ready enough.

  “You know, I check up on you every night. I want to make sure you’re okay.” His tone was sincere.

  “You don’t have to do that. I don’t want any babysitter.” I laughed at my own joke.

  “Okay. Can we go inside now? Brrr!! It’s pretty cold outside.”

  “Okay.”

  We headed inside and my mind is still thinking of what Mr. Agustus had said. He said that he could teach me to control this… this power. He also said he has a school, which means that I am not the only one who possesses this power. He is a sorcerer and he proved it but what if he is a bad sorcerer?

 I had to think about this. He said that I am a late bloomer? Does that mean that I already have this power since birth? Were my parents sorcerers too? Does he know my parents? If I really had this power, why would I use it? Is it for self- defense, or a responsibility? Should I be happy, or should I be scared?

 Those questions keep on stumbling inside my head. I thought, since he is a sorcerer, wouldn’t he have some kind of magic wand? Like in the movie “Harry Potter” or some kind of broom stick or flying cars or something? I reached my room and crawled to bed. Anthony said goodnight as he closed the door behind him.

 I feel tired and I want to get some rest. I closed my eyes and relaxed.

This time, I dreamt of a passageway. I saw someone killing somebody. The killer looked at me and he began chasing me. I ran as fast as I could.

 I was afraid that he might catch me, kill me and my family. He caught up to me.  I raised both of my hands for defense and lightning struck him.

 The obliterate intensity of my power hit him and he began screaming because of the pain I had caused him.

 I began shouting with anger then my dream shifted and became heavenly. Everything was white and peaceful. I saw my parents there, happy, and they reached over to me. We laughed.

 I don’t want to end this dream.

 I miss my parents so much.

 Their death brought me sadness and agony. The dream shifted again with a new pace.

 Agustus was there standing in front of me. He was fighting someone, someone powerful. He said that I should go and save myself but I couldn’t leave him. He was protecting me from someone.

 I reached out a hand to help him and I pulled him to me when he got hurt by the enemy. When I reached him and caught him in my arms, the place got dark. He disappeared while I was holding him.

 The emptiness overwhelmed again. I saw a candle lit in the middle. I moved towards it. The light that the candle was giving got stronger and brighter. I saw a reflection of myself dressed in a silver robe traced with blue and satin lines at the edges. I was walking towards a reflection of myself and the reflection of me smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95 1 21
Fifteen-year-old Jess has no idea that she's unordinary. She spends most of her time trying not to fall asleep in class, hiding in her room, and eati...
93.4K 3.5K 29
I was just a normal girl until everything changed. Losing everything you ever loved will change a girl. New town, new life, new school. Everything is...
3.1K 127 23
Before I was 16 , I'm an ordinary girl . When I turned 16 , I'm not so ordinary . When things get rough , just witch it !
470 33 43
Lara accidentally leaves behind a world of science and gets lost in a realm of enchantment. In this new reality she must adapt to unexpected surprise...