Hard To Love

By xoxolazygirl

"No need to be a d*ck. You know that's supposed to be a part of your body and not your personality, right?" ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2. New/Old Friends
Chapter 3. Karma is a B*tch
Chapter 5. Disappointment
Chapter 6. Shall we make amends?
Chapter 7. We are friends
Chapter 8. Sweet Dreams?
Chapter 9. Friendzone's a b*tch
Chapter 10. Start of something new
Chapter 11. Kisses, fights and more kisses
Chapter 12. Happy Birthday Emma
Chapter 13. It's over
Chapter 14. Friends in need
Chapter 15. Feelings
Chapter 16. Parties and Tequila shots
Chapter 17. A Different Birthday Celebration
Chapter 18. Make a move
Chapter 18. Part 2. The aftermath
Chapter 19. He's okay-ish
Chapter 20. Close
Chapter 21. Part 1. The Ugly Truth
Chapter 21. The Ugly Truth. Part 2
Chapter 22. This Is It
Love Me Harder.
Hurricane

Chapter 4. Confrontation

123 7 15
By xoxolazygirl

Nathan's POV

I tosed the ball to one of the guys and ran to the other side of the court. I'm not really into Basketball in general but I felt like playing today.

My gaze kept returning to the spot where James came from a few minutes ago though.

There was his sister, a girl I didn't know and... her.

Emma Greene.

Only her name got me irritated.

I never thought I'd see Emma again, and yet here she is.

I looked over at her, she was writing something down while Stella and the other girl were talking.

Now that I know who she is I can see the resemblance with the 10 year old I knew. She's changed but so have I, that's probably why she didn't recognize me.

But she's still her, the girl that I would play with back to when we were kids. Her hair is longer and a darker shade of blonde that suits her and from what I remember from our short encounter a few days ago her eyes still are that beautiful green color.

No. I did not just go there.

I felt the ball hit the back of my head making me snap out of my thoughts.

I turned around glaring at James "What the hell man?" I rubbed the back of my head.

"You ask me?" he said "What's up with you? You were free and you missed the ball."

"Nothing, I'm fine, let's play."

He tossed the ball at me. "Try not to suck too much"

I rolled my eyes at him.

Truth is I've been distracted. I haven't been myself but most importantly I've been mad.

She looked awfully familiar when I spotted her at the mall, but when she told me her name that day at the gym, I didn't know how to proccess it and I've been on edge ever since just because I don't know whether I want her back in my life or out of it for good.

*Flashback*

Not many people came here at this time and that's why I liked this place. Today was my father's death anniversary and I needed to get the tension out. There's only one way for me to do it. Boxing.
Since I couldn't actually participate in a boxing match right in the middle of the day, I settled for a punching bag. I put on my gloves and started letting all my feelings out on the punching bag. It's what I do.

It's been 5 years and I still can't get over the fact that he's gone.

I can't go home. Mom will want to come and see me. I really can't. I know she'll need me but I can't be strong, not today.

My mom lives in the same city but I've moved out of our place and I have an appartment of my own. I don't want her to worry about me when I come home late and beaten up. She doesn't deserve it.

But I do. I've choosen this as my way out and I don't always win when fighting. And to be honest I'm fine with it. Getting beaten up sometimes helps the emotional gap in me get temporary filled with pain.

Mom handles grief differently. Ever since my father died, mom has created a foundation that helps people with Cancer. It's all she does; help other people. But I'm not her. When my father passed away I kept to myself. The only people I'd be okay with were my mom and later, at the senior year of high school, James. Those are the people I care about. I talk with people yes, but my circle of those I trust is very small. You could say I'm moody with all the other people expect the ones really close to me.

"Wow" Said a voice behind me making me snap out of my thoughts "Who got you all worked up?"

I'm really not in the mood for another girl flirting. Not today. Any other day I'd be interested but right now, not really.

I stopped punching the bag and I turned around to look at her "Excuse me?" I asked trying to catch my breath. I held the punching bag in place so it would stop moving.

She's the girl I saw the other day at the mall.

She's hotter up close.

"You seem mad." She said "I mean, I wouldn't wanna be that punching bag."

Is she seriously trying to make small talk right now?

Can't she see I'm busy and not in the mood?

She does look awfully familiar though. Her eyes seem like I've seen them before.

"Do I know you?" I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me. I kept it concealed though with the not interested tone of my voice.

"No, I don't think we've met, I'm Emma. Emma Greene" she said extending her arm for a handshake.

Emma? It can't be her right?

Emma as in my childhood friend that moved away?

As in the one that didn't even call to see how I'm doing when my father died?

Okay now I'm getting mad. She chose the wrong day to make an appearance.

I didn't shake her hand, hoping she'd get the memo that I don't want to talk to her.

She obviously hasn't regognized me.

She put her hand back down by her side in silence but still had a smile on her face which irritated the fuck out of me.

I can't deal with her today. Actually I want nothing to do with her, not today, not ever.

"Well" I said breaking the silence that had fallen between us "Emma Greene"

Even her name makes me mad "I suggest that you leave me alone and get the hell out of here" I said, my jaw clenching.

She seemed taken back for a second but she recovered pretty quickly, now glaring at me.

"I got the memo, no need to be a dick. You know that's supposed to be a part of your body and not your personality, right? Anyway sorry I bothered you, see you around...or not" She said and then walked away.

I turned around continuing to take my anger out on the punching bag.

Damn it.

Why is she here? *punch*

Who does she think she is coming here and calling me a dick?

Okay maybe I was a dick, but that doesn't mean she can call me one. I'm having a rough day and seeing her again after all these years doesn't help at all. *double punch*

When did she get so hot?

What the actual fuck? Where did that come from?

I threw punch after punch stopping after a while to catch my breath. I leaned on the punching bag while holding it in place.

She really needs to stay the fuck away from me.

I'm not the kid that had a crush on her and followed her around like a lost puppy.

I breathed in and out heavily.

She never cared enough to call anyway.

*End of flashback*

It's been a couple of weeks ever since that day. I've been trying to stay away and not think of her, but it was quite impossible.

I've seen Charlotte around too but only spoken to her twice.

I guess they're still friends after all. Why wouldn't they be friends anyway?

I took one last glance at Emma and turned to the guys. I sighed tossing the ball at Chris.

I'm acting like a freaking chick. Since when am I emotional over girls?

"I'm gonna go guys, okay? I need to train a bit."

"See you tonight?" James asked

"Yeah" I said walking away

James knows when I get like that it's better not to push me so he let me go without further questioning.

We'd meet tonight anyway and he'll probably get me to tell him what's wrong. We usually go out grab a drink, find a chick and take her back to our place.
What? I'm a guy. I need to get the frustration out somehow. Actually someway other than boxing.

I grabbed my back-pack heading to the gym

Emma's POV

"... I mean it's not like I've kissed anyone before." I only picked up the last of what Stella had just said and it was enough to make my head shoot up at them.

"Say what?" I asked suprised. Stella was way pretty to not have been kissed. EVER.

The both of them turned to look at me and I handed the notebook to Demi after closing mine.

"I said I haven't kissed anyone." Stella repeated

"Ever?"

"Ever." She confirmed.

"Relax Emma it's not that big of a deal, I only have kissed one guy before too. It's not like we're all kissing sluts like you." Demi butted in.

"I haven't kissed that many guys." I scoffed at her and turned to Stella "I just thought that spin the bottle was an interesting game. That's all." I explained.

Stella chuckled

"Honey." Demi said faking politeness "It's fine. I'm your bestfriend I'm not going to judge you just because you're a slut."

I narrowed my eyes at her "You're not funny."

"Actually... Judging by the look on Stella's face, I'd say I am fucking hillarious." She said with a smirk

I turned to look at Stella who was trying to keep a poker face on, not really succeeding though.

"I hate you both." I said rolling my eyes.

"Em, I'm only messing with you, you know that." Demi said with a smile on her face.

"I still hate you." I said and then turned to Stella "I was only surprised because you're gorgeous Stella. I can't believe that guys haven't noticed that."

"I guess having older and overprotective brothers does that. Even if someone noticed, they were always scared of either James or Alex." She explained. "Don't be fooled by James' cheerful attitude, he can be very intimidating when it comes to guys getting close to me."

"Hm, brothers and their sisters" I sighed "He seemed cool."

"He is cool" She replied quickly, defending her older brother "Just not when it comes to guys who are interested in dating me." She rolled her eyes before looking over to where James was playing basketball with a few other guys.

I decided to change the subject "God my arm hurts" I mumbled cracking my nuckles. It's a bad habit of mine.

I followed Stella's gaze and looked at the guys James was playing basketball with, casually checking them out until my eyes fell on one particular guy.
He was the douchebag from a couple of weeks ago.
I actually hadn't seen him since that day.
He talked to James and a few other guys and then walked away.

He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt today. Not sport clothes. If he hadn't been a a douche the other day I'd be attracted to him.

Keep your hormones under check Emma.

But give me a break. Stefan is hot, McGrumpy is hot, James is hot, even the asshole from the other day is hot. Who can blame me? The fact that he needs some serious lesson about manners though outdoes the fact that he's attractive.

"Hey Stella" I said nudging her "You know that guy with James?" I asked her

Jesus Emma, there at like six other guys with him "The one with the black shirt that just walked away" I added quickly.

"Ah, yes" she said "His name is Nathan Stone, he's been James' best friend since we moved here almost 3 years ago.Why?"

I tried to wrap my head around what Stella had just said.

Nathan Stone? As in Nate? My Nate?

It can't be him right? The obnoxious guy I bumped into? That was Nate?

I tried to bring a mental image of Nate as a kid to my mind... Nate had brown eyes, so did the guy from the other day, both golden brown hair...both attractive in different ways though. Nate was a cute kid and the guy from the other day was attractive...but in a dangerous and not at all boyish way... Okay I'm away out of my mind now!!

I told him my name the other day, why didn't he say anything?

Why was he such a jerk?

It's not him...It can't be him.

"Hey are you okay?" Demi asked waving a hand infront of my face.

"What?" I asked "Yeah I'm fine" I said getting up "I just need to... uhm do something. I'll text you later" I gathered my things and walked away

I need to find him.

I need to know if it's him for sure.

I know where he must be.

I walked into the gym to find him at the exact same place as the other time. He was still wearing his jeans but no shirt.

Okay Emma so not the time to look at him like that.

He didn't have gloves on either.

What do I say? What do I do?

I could listen to my own heartbeat in my ears. I was nervous.

What the actual fuck? I'm never nervous. What if it's really Nate? I actually want it to be him. I've missed him.

Should I be polite? He was my friend when we were younger and I had missed him all these years.

No, he was a dick eventhough I told him who I was.

I mean I haven't done anything to him so he must be a dick anyway.

The words left my mouth before I could even think about it. "Are you always a dick or you have day offs too?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

He jumped a bit, caught by surprise by my presence.

His eyes narrowed "You again?" he asked trying to catch his breath

"Yes, me again! Is your name Nathan? Nathan Stone?" I asked desperate for answers.

"Yes, anything else?" he asked looking bored

"You really don't remember me or are you just being a dick?" I asked trying to read his expression but not really succeding.

His jaw clenched "Quit calling me a dick" he said raising his voice.

Yeah now I'm scared. I rolled my eyes.

"Quit acting like one" I said, my voice getting louder.

We used to be friends, why is he acting like that? He could at least pretend to be nice and then not really talk to me again. He could have some decency.

"You want something?" he asked rolling his eyes.

"You really don't remember me?"

"Oh I remember you" he said taking a step closer "Of course I do. Emma Greene, the girl that moved away and forgot all about everyone" he said stepping closer and I stepped back

"I didn't forget" I said, my arms falling to my side.
My back hit a wall and he was standing too close.

"You didn't huh? That's why you never called?" he said "Maybe you should forget once again. You've proved that it's easy for you. To me, it doesn't really matter that you moved back here anyway."

"Well it doesn't seem like that. It actually seems like it matters." I smirked at him " People get upset over the things that matter to them."

He scoffed at me "Trust me, you don't matter to me. So turn around and walk away right now."

Well if you didn't have me pinned against a wall that would be pretty easy.

I examined his face and tried to calm down.

I sighed "Look, I just thought that-"

He cut me off "You thought what? That we could catch up? Be friends and all? That's not gonna happen. We aren't kids anymore and I sure as hell don't want to be your friend."

I pushed him away "You know what?" I asked "A part of me actually got excited about the possibility of being your friend again but I see that I was wrong. There's nothing to be excited about. You don't wanna be my friend? Fine by me" I said and walked away.

This is so not the Nate I always imagined.

*****

Truth revealed. So, it was Nate. It was kind of obvious, I know.

Now you have Nate's POV on seeing Emma again and their confrontation. What do you think about that?
He wasn't exactly polite, right?

Chapter 5 Preview: "Oh okay" I said taking a sip of my coffee "Charlotte?"

"Yeah?" she asked looking away from the orders in front of her and looking at me

"Did you know that Nathan was going to this school too?"

She seemed surpised for a second "Uhm... Yeah, I mean I've seen him around before."

"And you never thought of mentioning to me that he was around?" I asked getting irritated.

"I didn't think it would be a big of a deal, I have barely talked to him myself, but why? What happened? Is everything alr-"

"Just stop okay? It was a stupid question. Don't pretend like you care" I shook my head "Just drop it"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 374 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
105 0 13
"Who the fuck are you?" I state. Why the hell is some random ass man standing right outside my door. "Your new bestfriend!" He smirks. Cameron is 19...
131K 4K 57
Cassie Quinn, now a Senior in college has her life figured out. She's smart and funny with the heart to match, but lacks confidence. As she was previ...
62.1K 1.9K 84
"You can't say stuff like that" I mumble, and he chuckles. "And why cant I?". "Because we're friends" I say, reminding both him and myself. I dont mi...