River: Book 2.5

By varzanic

River is an omega. He's been one since he was thirteen. His coat is too dark for the dominants looking for th... More

Chapter 1: Going to Midfield
Patreon

Chapter 2: Rejection

24.4K 1.2K 337
By varzanic

Aden scrubbed a towel on my head. I hunched into my shoulder. The soap smelt weird, even worse than Peter's collection. There was nothing fresh about what I had been forced to put in my hair. Aden squirted some stuff in his hands and worked it in.

"It smells bad," I muttered.

"Welcome to the human world where flowery artificial scents are very popular."

I stared at the floor. I don't know if I was going to like this civil living. The smells were all wrong.

"It's not that bad." He lifted my chin. "See, you look really nice."

I examined the person in the mirror. My wavy blond hair wasn't frizzy for once, but I preferred to be in my natural form. "Do civil always walk around as human?"

Aden nodded. "From what I understand most of the time, yes. They work with humans. It's best to look like them."

With a sigh, I slumped over.

"Hey." He sat on the counter. "You could get a mate today. And as soon as you got this," Aden pulled over his shirt to show his scar, "you can do whatever the hell you want."

I smiled. That mark had always been something that I wanted. "I just hope he's not too strict."

Aden leaned back on his arms. "I don't think Xavier is going to let someone mate with you unless the alpha knows they'll treat you right. He's partial to you."

My face felt warm. "No, he's not."

"Yes, he is," Aden said firmly. "I don't see him doing this for any of the other omegas."

Biting my lip, I lowered his eyes. He never did, but none of the other omegas wanted to be a sub. They all dreamed of being dominants or middle ranks. I was the only one without the strength to ever move up a rank.

"I'm going to miss you."

My eyes shot up. "It's not for sure yet."

Aden pressed his hand to his chest. "I saw the way that guy got all flustered when I told him your name. If it's the same dude and he's high up there, you're going to be ruling this pack."

I sucked in my lips, trying not to smile. The man Aden described sounded wonderful. I just hoped I ended up with someone close to the image I had in my head.

"Come on." Aden jumped off the counter. "Let's go get something to eat."

I stood and followed him into the room. Xavier and Titus were waiting.

"You look very nice River," said the alpha.

Chewing on my cheeks, I glanced over my clothes. They were nice. I looked like the humans I saw in pictures.

"Knowing Aden, you'll get your man." Titus winked at me.

It threw me off.

"Even if he has to barge in there and knock some head together," said the dominant.

Aden's mouth fell open. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You have some of your mother in you," his mate replied with a shrug.

Aden smacked Titus's arm on the way to the door. "Let's go, River. I'm starving."

I hurried after him with the dominants not too far behind. Downstairs, we were ushered into a large reception hall. Tables line the walls piled with food, and people were sitting in the ones in the middle. There were so many of them. All here for the same reason. My chest tightened.

"Don't you dare." Aden pulled him into a hug.

I rested my head on my shoulder.

"You are far better than any of these people. So don't let it get to you. Alright?"

I nodded. "Okay."

"Now," Aden stated in a deep voice. "Wipe your face, and let's get some food. It's all you can eat."

I smiled and did so. We went with to get plates. There was so much food, and I could have as much as I wanted. This was so exciting. I didn't even get this kind of treatment during pack feasts. I took a little of everything and followed Aden to an empty table.

A woman came by with a cart. "What would you like to drink?"

I scanned all the different colored bottles. None of those looked right "Um... water."

"Oh no." Aden held up his hand. "He's traditional. Get him one of everything."

She smiled and reached below the cart for a few different smaller bottles. "Try these."

I was feeling slightly overwhelmed by all the options. Titus and his father arrived.

"Thirsty?" Titus asked Aden.

"I wanted River to have a taste of everything. Water is boring." Aden handed that bottle to Titus.

"Thanks, you're too sweet." He chuckled.

"I'm just saying he never gets any of this."

"Well if you do good today, you'll get to try a lot more," said the alpha.

I sunk down in his chair. Grabbing one of the bottles, I twisted off the cap. They all watched as I took a sip. My nose scrunched up at the initial sweetness. I wasn't bad, though.

I took another and another. "This is good."

Aden gave Titus a grin. The alpha started to go over the day's events while we ate. It was making my stomach flutter. A lot was riding on me doing well.

A very large man with solid black hair walked down the aisle toward us. I sat still and lowered my eyes. This was an alpha and a very strong one.

"Xavier," the man held out his hand, "I was worried you won't make it."

"It's a long drive." He shook the man's hand.

"Titus."

The man shook his hand as well.

"Trevor, this is Aden, Titus's mate," said the alpha.

Aden gave a small wave. "Hi."

"Finally mated." He squeezed Titus's shoulders. "Took you long enough."

"Get away." Titus shoved him off. "I'm twenty-four. I'm not that old."

Trevor chuckled. "How old is your mate? There looks to be a bit of an age gap."

"Eighteen," stated Aden.

"Six years," breathed Trevor. "Gez, you like them young."

"Five and a half," muttered Titus. "It's not that uncommon."

"We're not all mating teenagers, though." He hit Titus's shoulder with the back of his hand. His eyes landed on me. "And you must be here for the interview."

I slipped lower in my seat. I was glad there was a table between us.

"This is River," said Xavier.

"And how old are you River?"

"Nine... Nineteen." I said with a forced smile.

Trevor started to laugh. "Seem is might be more common than I thought. Well, good luck, and I'd like to talk to you both a little later."

"Just let us know when," said Xavier with a nod.

I fell forward and rest his head on the table. "I don't know if I can do this."

"He wasn't so bad." Aden rubbed my back. "Since when have you been older than me?"

"Birth," chuckled Titus.

Aden glared at him. "Don't start acting like Darius just because he's not here."

"What's weird about me being older," I muttered. "I'm taller."

"Just figured you were younger by the way you act."

I acted my age. At least, I thought so.

"Peter's twenty," Xavier took a drink from his cup of what looked to be coffee, "if that puts things into perspective."

***

I sucked in my lips and gripped my knees. The woman emerged and called in another person. I shifted in my seat. The shirt was rubbing against my neck and felt like something was strangling me.

Xavier patted my shoulder. "Deep breath."

Nodding, I did as the alpha instructed. "What if he doesn't like me?"

"There are plenty of packs in this world. We'll find someone."

Exhaling slowly, I slowed my eyes. I just wanted this to work. I had been passed over so many times. It was draining.

A tall female marched out of the room where the interviews were taking place. I watched her leave the room with a scowl on her face. Her meeting was shorter than the last few. Another girl was called into the room. My eyes never left the door, and I didn't have to wait long before she came out as well.

Swallowing hard, I lowered my head. The interviews were getting shorter. Maybe he had already found the mate for him.

"He's gay."

I peered up at the alpha.

"He claims to be bi," he chuckled, "but he's gay. So don't get down on yourself just yet."

"Yes alpha," I said softly.

A pretty boy with white blond hair walked across the room. His alpha followed behind him as they disappeared behind the door.

Letting out a shaky breath, I fell over my knees. "I can't beat him."

"It's not only about looks, River."

I nodded, though I didn't believe him. I had been told many times that my coat wasn't light enough. It was always about looks with dominants, and mine were never good enough. I tugged on my shirt.

"You're messing up the collar." The alpha fixed it.

"Sorry." I put my hands in my lap.

"If he wants to see your natural form, be sure to take off your clothes first, so they don't rip."

I nodded.

"I don't know if they have a dressing curtain for you to change behind, though, so just turn around."

"Either way, I don't mind." I gave him a small smile.

We waited quietly for awhile. The door opened, and the boy exited with his alpha. He was smiling. It seemed to have gone really good for him, but I didn't expect it not too.

"Northern Rocky Ridge," called the woman.

The alpha raised his hand. "Right here."

She smiled. "They're ready for you."

He patted my back as I stood. I shuffled forward, feeling my heart banging against my ribs. Please just like me, please.

With a deep breath, I entered. The alpha closed the door behind us. He walked to a seat to the side. I just stood there, staring at the people sitting behind a long table. I didn't think so many men were going to be there. I recognized the one on the end from breakfast, Trevor. The man beside him I knew from the picture on the wall. This was the alpha of Midfield. I bowed my head.

The man in the middle picked up a piece of paper. "River?"

I nodded.

He motioned to the spot on the floor in front of him.

I moved forward. A side door opened and closed. A very tall dominant sat down in a chair along the wall by Trevor. The future alpha glared at the new addition and got an uneasy smile in return.

"So River." The man with the paper folded his arms. "I'm David."

"Hi."

"I'm looking for a mate, and I'm going to ask you some question to see if you have any potential to fill that role."

I nodded.

"You're an omega currently?"

I nodded again.

"Yes or no?"

"Yes," I whispered.

He lifted up a piece of paper. "What happened to your parents?"

I swallowed hard. "My mom died when I was thirteen. I don't know my father."

David sighed. "You're pedigree isn't very impressive."

I nodded, feeling my chest start to hurt. This was already going bad.

"Traditional do tend to be more obedient, but not perfect. Have you broken any pack rules lately?"

I sucked in my lips. "I was hungry."

"A misunderstand," said Xavier. "It was dealt with. It's very rare for River to disobey a higher up. He's a very respectful young man."

David nodded. "Will you shift?"

"Yes, sir." I quickly took off my shirt, while removing my shoes. I slid off the rest of my clothes and shifted.

The man in front of me arched a brow. His eyes ran up and down my body. I knew that look. I had seen it many times right before the rejection.

"You're rather tall for a sub."

My tail curled around my leg.

"The coat," he cringes, "it's not very appealing."

I wrung my hands together.

"Shift back."

I did so.

David shook his head. "Even the human version isn't much better. You're too skinny. What little muscles you have are just stretched over bones. You're kind of a homely little thing, even though they tried to dress you up. Well, I guess you're not little," he chuckled. "You're are on the large side for a sub."

"David," said Trevor sternly. He cleared his throat, folding his arms.

My eyes started to burn.

The alpha shifted in his seat. "Are we done?" he said in a low voice.

"No." David tapped his pencil on the table and ignoring his future alpha. "Shift to werewolf."

I changed form and fiddled with my tail.

"Maybe I could bleach it."

I tensed at the comment. Bleach it?

David started to laugh. "You'd probably look more of a mess than now. Like some dog with mange."

My heart shattered, and the tears broke through. A dog?

"What the fuck is this?" The alpha rose to his feet. "A no would have sufficed. You will not refer to my pack in such a manner."

"David," said Trevor firmly.

"I'm simply stating what I see," the man in front of me said plainly. His eyes met mine. "A mangey mutt that needs to run back to the mountain and live out his life as the pathetic omega that he was born to be. Why the hell Northern Ridge keeps such disgusting creature will always confuse me. You'd be rogue bait if it was up to me."

I covered my mouth to muffle a sob as Xavier pushed passed me.

"You little shit."

Trevor and the Midfield alpha leaped to their feet to stop him as my alpha cocked back his fist. They both grabbed him.

"I've killed werewolves for saying less!" Xavier jerked his arm free and took a swipe at David, who had backed into a corner.

"Xavier, please," begged Trevor. "Let's calm down and talk this through."

"Like hell like I am going to listen to you!" He swung again, hitting Trevor's jaw. "You just sat there and let his bastard talk about my pack as if we're feral dogs living in the woods." He pointed a finger at the future alpha. "You think any werewolf would stand for such an insult."

"I will have a word with David." Trevor glared at his packmate, rubbing his face. "Just please, everyone calm down."

Xavier shoved him back. "You invited us here for this. If you want a war to start you reign as alpha, then say it. Let's see how a bunch of domestics fairs against a true werewolf pack. I kill rogues on a weekly basis, a bunch of rich, spoiled brat would be easy."

Trevor stood tall. I backed toward the door.

"Xavier," the future alpha said clearly. "Please stop."

"Your kind has looked down on us for too long. You're no better than a human."

David started to laugh. "A step up from a dog."

The alpha charged the man. The fight started to escalate as Trevor and the Midfield alpha got involved. I backed into the door.

"River," called the tall man. He came toward me.

Panicking, I threw open the door.

"River wait!"

Shifting to my wolf, I ran on all fours through the mansion, darting around people, until I spotted an exit. A man opened the door, and I zipped passed him. I raced through the garden and went into the grove of trees. I jumped into a stream and swam to where it came in through a wall.

Crawling under a bush, I tried to be quiet as the tears came. I wasn't a dog. I didn't have mange either. I was just an omega, and I'd forever be one, because once again, I failed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3M 467K 32
"We can't do this." I whisper as our lips re-connect, a tingling fire surging through my body as his hands ravage unexplored lands; my innocence di...
13.1M 528K 57
"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" •• Christian Ivonov, CEO of Ivonov enterprises, had always been the best at fucking things up. Whe...
14M 78.3K 9
Book Cover Credit- @badbitty10 Book one to the Romano's Crime Organization Series. (18+) In which a rookie detective, Diamond Lee, ends up in the wr...
62.6M 3K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...