How to be a Housemaid

Par gingerbread250

[Completed] New Highest Ranking #7 in Historical Fiction: After a shaky past of arranged marriages and abuse... Plus

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
The Aftermath

Chapter Ten

26.6K 1.2K 76
Par gingerbread250

Theodore smiled at the sight of Millicent and Jane. They were both sleeping across from him as the stagecoach made its way back to his manor. Who knew that dress shopping could tire out women so much? Back at the shop, seeing Millicent in that satin blue dress had taken his breath away. She had seemed so flawless and beautiful in it with her curls tumbling down her face. He couldn't figure out what it was about her that he adored so much. Theodore hoped the ball would distract him from her. After all, she was only a housemaid.

The coach pulled to a stop and Theodore shook Jane awake. "Jane? Jane, are you awake?"

Jane peeked her eyes open and shook her head as if trying to shake away the sleepiness. "Yes, here let me take the box up to Millicent's room."

Theodore helped her from the stagecoach before handing her the box. He reached over and shook Millicent by the shoulder. She shook her head and only curled up tighter. He sighed in frustration. "Millicent...Millie come on..."

"No..." Millicent whined, batting his hand away.

"Fine then. I guess I'll have to carry you in."

When she didn't respond, Theodore gathered her into his arms and pulled her from the carriage. He nodded his thanks to the driver before following Jane up to the manor. Mr. Evans opened the door for them, peering at Millicent. "Is she hurt?"

"No...just stubborn and tired." Theodore smiled, edging his way past the old man. "Come along, Jane."

Jane nodded and scurried after him with the box as they climbed the stairs to Millicent's room. Jane popped open the door and set the box on the chair near Millicent's vanity. Theodore placed Millicent on her bed. Jane removed her boots and pulled up the covers, tucking them around her chin. Millicent smiled and snuggled down into them further. Theodore caught his hand before it had the chance to reach out,and brush away a stray strand of hair across her forehead. He clenched his fingers into a fist and moved towards the door. To Jane he said, "Make sure she is up early next morning to help with cleaning."

"Yes, sir." Jane nodded to him.

Satisfied, he left them for his own room downstairs. His chest burned from the leftover sensation of Millicent resting against him. He ignored it, pulling off his shoes. He was acting ridiculous. A loud knock sounded on his bedchamber door. "You may come in."

His father burst through the door, his arms crossed. His blue eyes were stormy and his expression spoke of only business. "What is the meaning of this?! Gallivanting around the town with that Thorne girl? Ridiculous! You have responsibilities here! You can not just neglect you duties whenever you feel like it!"

"I'll make it up to you, father."

His father stormed over and grabbed his collar, slapping him in the face. He pointed his old, bony finger at him. "You do not disobey me!"

Theodore kept his gaze away from his father. He had always hated the man for abusing him like this. Even if he was strong enough to fight back, he couldn't hurt his own father like that. When his father raised his hand again this time, Theodore grabbed his arm, stopping him. "You listen to me, father. One day, I am to be master of this estate. I can make my own decisions as a grown man about what I will do. You do not need to shepard me around like a child. Do you understand?"

His father was shaking in anger, but Theodore could see in his father's eyes that he knew he had finally lost. He lowered his hand. "You arrogant little brat."

Theodore stood up, gesturing to the door. "If you have finished ranting like a tempered child, I would like to ask you to leave."

The door slammed behind his father and Theodore let out a breath of relief. He had smelled the whisky on his father's breath. He always drank himself mad when his mother was out with other men. Tonight must have been another one of those nights. His father most likely said something rude or harsh to his mother and she scurried off to go have fun at the taverns. Theodore threw his shirt to the ground in disgust. His parents were always fighting, ever since he was a young boy. He hardly ever saw his mother these days and when he did, she was always drinking herself silly in the kitchen. Theodore climbed into his large bed and burrowed deep down into the covers. He wanted to ignore the bad things surrounding him, but they were always there, haunting him.

Maybe he liked Millicent so much because right now she was the light in his darkness. He could definitely use a little bit of light right now. Theodore fell asleep with that good thought still on his mind, his only safe place.

. . . .

The next day Theodore administered the cleaning of the entire mansion. He wanted to focus on the getting ballroom downstairs clean. He watched Millicent from a distance as she arranged and rearranged flowers with Annabelle right at her heels. He couldn't be distracted by her today. Not when he made a promise to his father to make up for yesterday. He had to work hard today and focus.

That was hard to do when Millicent was standing so close to him, asking him a question he wasn't registering. He could only focus on how pretty her eyes looked up close. He shook his head when she repeated his name again. "I'm sorry, what was that?"

"Are you alright?" Millicent placed her hand on his forehead, leaving a trail of fire on his skin. "You don't feel warm, so no fever. Make sure you aren't overworking yourself, Theodore."

"I'm not a child. I can take care of myself." He looked away from her to study the work that was going on around them.

Millicent looked ready to say something rash, but someone behind her handed a bundle of flowers. She took them in surprise. "Millicent, love, I was wondering what is should do with these? You see, I'm not good at this. Arranging flowers I mean."

Theodore's hand twitched protectively. He called her love? Just how familiar was this man?

"Oh, Elijah, of course. First of all, you shouldn't ever put the lilac and roses together." Millicent rearranged the flowers to her liking. "See how they look nicer without the lilac? Only use that with flowers that are taller."

The cook nodded thoughtfully, "I admit it does look better."

Theodore forced a smile at the man. "Yes, very good. Mr. Elijah, would you mind helping that young lady over there? I believe she is about to drop that vase she is handling."

Elijah looked over his shoulder and scurried off to help the young maid. Millicent placed her hands on her hips. "This is all starting to come together." She looked over at him with bright eyes. "Don't you think so, Theodore?"

He smiled at her, "Yes, I believe so."

She nodded and turned back around to watch everyone working. She sighed and dusted off her hands. "Well, I am going on break for now. Care to join me?"

The words of his father rang in his ears, but Theodore couldn't say no to such an adorable looking face. He finally gave into his feelings, knowing he would regret this later. "Alright then. Let's go."

Millicent took his arm and pulled him from the room. Theodore let her lead him outside to one of the large trees. She looked up at the side branches and smiled at him, mischief in her eyes. "Now that I finally have you alone...I need you to help me climb this tree."

It took a moment for her words to register in his head. She wanted to...climb the tree? But why? Theodore looked up at the large tree, shaking his head. "Millicent, this is ridiculous. You could fall and hurt yourself."

She grabbed at the bottom branches, her feet dangling off the ground. "No I won't. Come on. I can't do this by myself. I'm not strong enough."

"Your dress will get in the way." He shook his head again, his eyes stern. "I can't have you falling from a tree."

Millicent tried reaching for the next branch, but she lost her grip and fell to the ground. She let out an omph as her bottom hit the ground. Theodore chuckled and crouched down in front of her. He reached out and brushed aside a stray piece of hair. She looked so upset that she couldn't accomplish this, it made him want to reach out and give her a hug. She batted his hand away from her face. "This isn't funny. I have to be able to do this."

"May I ask why?"

"I...I made a bet with Annabelle, okay? I can't lose to her of all people, Theodore! You have to help me." Millicent ducked her head away from his gaze.

Theodore broke out into a rumbling laughter. "You made a bet with Annabelle? That's all this is about?" He wiped the tears in his eyes, trying to calm his laughter. "Alright, Millicent I'll help you. Don't blame me if you get hurt."

Millicent nodded and let him help her to her feet. He laced his fingers together and held them out towards her. She placed her boot in is palms and reached for the first branch. "Ready."

Theodore boosted her upwards and she reached out for the second branch, being able to grab it this time. Millicent steadied herself on the first branch, smiling down at Theodore. He put his hands on his hips. "Is that as far as you will go?"

"Yes." Millicent sat down on the first branch, dangling her feet in front of his face.

Theodore laughed and waved his hand at her. "Move over, I'm coming up."

Millicent scooted over to give him room as he hoisted himself up beside her. Millicent bumped him with her shoulder. "Show off."

He chuckled, looking out towards the fields. He took in a big breath of fresh air. He had forgotten how wonderful it could feel out here with the wind rustling his hair and the sun on his face. He closed his eyes for a long moment, just enjoying the feeling of it. When he opened his eyes, he caught Millicent staring at him. She turned a bright red and looked away, suddenly finding her dress interesting. "I-I was wondering....how many women you invited to the ball?"

Theodore's smile fell from his face. "I think there were seventeen of them, thought I'm not sure."

"And every one of them are supposed to be marriage prospects for you?" Her voice grew quieter with each word, as if she were only talking to herself now.

"Well, that is what my father wishes to happen. The day after the ball, I am supposed to have chosen a suitable wife." Theodore let out a heavy sigh. "I'm not sure I want any of them though."

"And why is that?"

"Oh, I already have someone in mind."

Millicent picked at a thread on her dress. "Oh? Is she pretty."

"She can take your breath away in an instant."

"I'm sure you'll be happy with whoever you have chosen, Theodore." Millicent smiled at him.

Theodore took her hand in his, enjoying the way her hand fit perfectly with his. "That's if I know she can be happy with me too."

Realization dawned on Millicent. He could see it in her face, that she knew he had been speaking of her the whole time. What confused him was the fear in her eyes and the way her hand was shaking.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

The Ex Wife Par Elena_hz

Fiction générale

716K 13.9K 29
Four years after Lilian gets divorce she founds herself stuck with her ex. He being the arrogant player that he is wants to play with her again. Yet...
685K 42.1K 43
***COMPLETED!!!*** ---- Everyone has secrets... Vincent, Viscount Thorne, perfected his wicked grin and his good-humored mask years ago. He has no ti...
395K 21.8K 27
A FEATURED STORY IN HISTORICAL FICTION HIGHEST RANKING #7 in HISTORICAL FICTION --- Ellie had been undercover for most of her life. She had been a pi...
502K 22.1K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...