Nothing More

By imaginator1D

Book 1 of 2 featuring After worldwide fan-favorite Landon Gibson as he leaves Washington to navigate love and... More

Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty One.
Chapter Twenty Two.
Chapter Twenty Three.
Chapter Twenty Four.
Chapter Twenty Five.
Chapter Twenty Six.
Chapter Twenty Eight.
Chapter Twenty Nine.
Chapter Thirty.

Chapter Twenty Seven.

90K 4K 1.8K
By imaginator1D

Songs for this chapter are: 

Edge of Desire- John Mayer

War of Hearts-Ruelle

Saturn- Sleeping at Last

I Should Go- Levi Kreis

...

Turns out I'm an awful baker. Awful as in, I can't even decorate a plain sheet cake without making a mess.

"Just one or two drops this time," Nora reminds me, as if I didn't learn my lesson thirty seconds ago when Nora shrieked and shouted at me for dumping half the bottle of food coloring into the icing bowl.

How was I supposed to know that this little bottle held enough power to turn Ellen's mouth red for a week?

"We need more sugar," Nora says and I grab the bag from the counter next to me.

The powdered sugar moves to one side and I realize that she cut the end open. I try to grab it before it spills out, and fail. The sugar dumps out of one end and onto the counter and the floor. A cloud of white dust puffs up in my face and Nora waves her hand around as the sugar cloud covers her.

"Oh my god!" She shrieks, humor evident in her voice.

I sit the plastic bag on the counter and look at the mess I made. As if it's mocking me, the bag falls to the floor and the last bit of sugar puffs out. My sweatshirt is so covered in white that the eagle is barely visible. When Nora smiles, her eyes crinkle at the corners and I sort of like it.

"Sorry! I didn't know it was open," I wipe my hand across the counter and like the way the soft sugar feels against my skin. I should never, ever, try to bake anything again. Noted.

Nora's black tank top is covered in blotches of powdered sugar. Along with her arms, her hands, her cheek, and her dark hair.

"It's okay," her smile is contagious and I'm not even embarrassed at the mess I made, and it feels weird that she's not mad about it and I don't know why. She's just smiling, looking from the mess to me, and shaking her head with her lips pressed into an amused smile.

Nora moves the mixing bowl out of the way and grabs a roll of paper towels. She turns the sink on and uses her hands to push as much powder into the sink as possible.

"During my first semester at culinary school, I forgot to put the guard on a forty-quart mixer. A ten-pound bag of confectioner's sugar went everywhere. Needless to say, I had to stay an extra three hours to clean and redo my assignment and my teacher was a prick, so he wouldn't let anyone help me." Nora's hands are moving quickly to clean the mess I made and I should probably be helping her.

"Did you pass? I mean, after you redid the entire thing?" I ask her.

"Nope. Like I said, my instructor was a real prick."

I look at her and she lifts her sugary hand to scratch her face. She wipes at her cheek, smearing white on her tan skin.

I grab a paper towel and start to help her. "That's why I want to be a teacher."

She tosses the empty sugar bag into the trash and walks back over to me. "To be a prick?"

I laugh and shake my head. "No. To be the opposite. I had this teacher in tenth grade, Mr. Haponek, who went above and beyond his job. He was everything a teacher was supposed to be and the older I got, the less my teachers cared about their jobs, and when I looked around my school, I saw so many kids who needed that one good teacher. It makes a difference, you know?"

"What was your high school like?" Nora asks.

Terrible.

A shit hole.

"It was okay."

I don't think she wants to hear about my actual experience. It's kind of like when people ask "How are you?" and really only want you to say "good". Any further explanation makes people uncomfortable.

"I didn't get to go to a real high school. I went to a small private school near Seattle. It was awful." Nora says, surprising me with another small glimpse into who she is.

"My high school was awful too." I admit.

Nora regards me with a skeptical look. "I bet you were one of the popular kids. You played sports didn't you?"

She couldn't be more wrong. I nearly laugh at the idea of me being a popular kid. A jock? Me? Not even close.

"Not exactly," my cheeks are red. I can feel it. "I wasn't anything really. I wasn't cool enough to be popular, but I wasn't smart enough to be considered a nerd. I was just in that middle ground where no one gave a shit about me. I was chubby then, so I got teased when the popular kids got bored with their usual prey. But honestly, I didn't realize how bad my high school was until I moved to Washington halfway through my senior year. My high school in Washington was so different."

Nora walks over to the utility closet and grabs the broom and dust pan. She starts to sweep the floor and I prepare to fill the silence with more ramblings about my high school days as I wet a paper towel and clean the rest of the counter.

"Nothing is worse than a bunch of assholes who peak in high school," she comments and it makes me laugh.

"That's one of the truest things I've ever heard."

"I guess I wasn't missing much." Nora says, her eyes distant. She has that look on her face again, the one where she looks bored.

"Did you always want to be a pastry chef?" I ask her. The sugar is close to being cleaned up now, but I don't want the conversation to end. I almost wish there was another bag for me to accidently dump on the floor.

I've never heard Nora talk this much before, aside from her and Tessa gushing over the two boys kissing on that demon hunting show Tessa's obsessed with. Usually I'm never a part of their conversations, I'm in my room studying or at work when she's here, and now that we are alone and she's being uncharacteristically chatty, I want to take advantage of every word she's willing to say.

She moves the broom across the tile floor and looks over at me. "Thanks for remembering not to call me a baker. And no, I actually wanted to be a surgeon. Like my dad and his dad and his dad."

A surgeon? That's the last thing I expected her to say.

"Really?" I can't hide the surprise in my voice.

"Don't be so surprised. I'm actually very intelligent," she cocks her head to the side and I decide that I really like her playful attitude. It's different than Dakota's, not as harsh or true.

Dakota.

I haven't thought about her once in the last thirty minutes and her name sounds foreign inside my head. Does that make me a bad guy? Is she sitting at home, waiting on me to call her? Somehow, I doubt that.

"I'm not doubting that," I raise a sugary hand to her. "I just thought you would say something more... art related."

Nora regards me with a thoughtful look on her face. "Hmm, why is that?" She rests the broom against the counter and leans closer to me to turn on the sink. Her arms brushes against the fabric of my sweatshirt and I move out of her way.

"I don't know. I just picture you being some sort of artist. I don't really know what I'm talking about," I run my hand over my hair and little flakes of sugar fall onto the floor.

"You should have taken that off before I swept," Nora's fingers wrap around a string from my sweatshirt and I look down, watching her hand.

"Probably," I say, and she takes a step closer.

I hold my breath.

Her eyes catch mine and she sucks in a quiet breath between her teeth. "Sometimes it feels like you know me more you should," she whispers and I can't move.

I can't breathe, or move, or even speak when she's this close. Even with sugar covering her, she's so painfully stunning that it physically hurts to look at her.

"Maybe I do," I tell her, somehow feeling the same.

I barely know anything about her, but maybe it isn't about knowing the factual things. Maybe it doesn't matter if I know her mom's name, or her favorite color. Maybe it doesn't take years to know people like we assume, maybe the important things are much, much simpler. Maybe it matters more that we see deeper, that we know what kind of friend they are, or that they bake cakes for people they don't know without being asked.

"You shouldn't," she says, still staring up at me. Without thinking, I take a step closer to her and she closes her eyes.

"Maybe I should."

I don't know who I am in this moment. I don't feel nervous about being so close to such a beautiful woman. I don't feel like I'm not good enough to be touching her face. I barely have any thoughts running through my mind and I like the silence inside my head that she seems to bring.

"We can't," her voice is barely audible.

Her eyes are still shut and my hand is on her cheek without me even knowing that I put it there. My thumb traces the outline of her pouty mouth, and I can feel the quickening of her pulse where my palm rests on her neck.

"Maybe we can."

In this moment, all I know in the world is that her hands are gripping the fabric of my sweatshirt and even though her words are doubting this, she's pulling me closer to her.

"You don't know how bad I am for you," her mouth rushes the words and her eyes peer open just a fraction and my heart swells.

There's pain there, a deep pain shredded through the dark green and the flakes of brown. Her pain is visible to me for the first time, and I can feel the weight of it in her hooded gaze. Something shifts and locks into place inside of me and I don't have the words to explain it. I want to heal her. I want her to know that everything will be okay.

I want her to know that pain is only permanent if we allow it to be.

I don't know the origin of hers, but I'm certain that I would do anything to take it away from her. My shoulders can bear her pain, they are strong, built for it, and I need to her know that.

I feel fiercely protective of her now, as if she's been mine to guard for my entire existence.

"You don't know what you're getting into," Nora warns, and I quiet her with my thumb against her lips. She parts them under my touch and exhales a breathless sigh.

"I don't care," I say and mean it.

Her eyes close again and she she pulls me closer, until our bodies are pressed together, molded like they are supposed to be, like they were made to be.

I lean down and lick my lips and she whimpers as if she's been waiting an eternity for my lips to find hers, and it does feel that way. I feel a powerful sense of relief, like I've found a part of me that I didn't know was missing.

I rest my hand on her cheek and there's barely an inch between our mouths. She's breathing so softly, as if I'm the fragile one, and she's being careful with me.

Her lips taste like sugar and she's my favorite dessert.

I'm gentle with her, gently pressing my lips against the corners of her mouth and she makes a noise in the back of her throat that makes my head swim. I feel dizzy when her mouth opens and her tongue gently meets mine.

It's the best kind of disoriented and I never want to think straight again. The hand of mine that's not on her cheek moves to her back and I press her soft body against mine until there's not a single inch between us.

Through her soft lips, she whispers my name and I've never felt this type of rush before. She pulls away for a moment and I feel lost, like I'm swimming out in the middle of nowhere and when her mouth finds mine again, she's found me and anchored me to her.

A vibration buzzes against the counter and the music stops and I had forgotten it was even playing. It's like I've lost the last few minutes of my life, but I never, ever want them back. I want to stay here, lost with her.

But reality has other plans and Nora pulls away, taking the silence in my mind with her.

She grabs her phone from the counter and swipes her finger across the green circle. I lean against the counter to steady myself and she apologizes and steps into the hallway.

A few seconds of silence pass and I can hear her talking but I can't make out any of the words. Her voice gets louder and I force myself not to move closer to eavesdrop on her conversation.

"I have to go," she says when she comes back into the room. "But I'll be back in the morning to help you decorate the cake. I'll wrap it up so it won't get stale," she moves across my kitchen and I notice the change in her demeanor. Her shoulders are slouched and every time I try to catch her eyes, she avoids mine. A thrumming rises in my chest.

"Is everything okay? Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask her. I decide in this moment that there are only a few things in this world that I wouldn't do for her.

I know I'm insane and that I barely know her. I'm aware that it's hard to protect someone that won't allow you to. I'm also aware that I have a messy on and off relationship with someone else, but there's nothing I can do to go back now. I can't make the last few minutes disappear, and even if I could, I never would.

"Everything is fine. I just have to go back to Lookout, my boss needs me," she says with a weak smile. I can see right through it.

I stand in silence as she wraps saran wrap around the cake pan and grabs her shirt from the back of the chair. She tucks her tie into the back pocket of her black pants and walks to the entry of the kitchen.

"Don't worry about those dishes, I'll get them in the morning," her eyes still won't meet mine and it makes my stomach hurt.

I nod, not knowing what else to say. The bliss from our kiss is evaporating faster than I can blink and the endless questions I have for her are filling my head.

"I'm sorry," she says and I truly feel like she means it. At least there's that.

She disappears through the doorway and I stand still for a few minutes, recollecting every moment we just shared. From the sweet taste of her sugary kiss, to the desperation in her fingers as she clutched the fabric of my sweatshirt.

The apartment is so silent, unlike my mind, and I turn on the sink and open the door to the dishwasher. I toss out the uneaten broccoli and put the olive oil back into the cabinet. By the time Tessa gets home, I'm still sitting in the kitchen, at the table. The dishes are clean and put away, and there's no trace of powdered sugar anywhere to be found.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" Tessa unties her apron and lays it on the back of the chair.

I look at the time on the stove. It's nearly one in the morning.

"I don't know," I lie.

She's having a hard enough time lately, I don't want to burden her with my problems, especially when I don't even understand them.

Tessa looks at me and I can see the speculation in her eyes. She glances around the room and spots the cake on the counter.

"Was Nora here?" she asks.

I nod. "She came by for a little bit, then she got called back to work." My throat is dry as I explain.

"Back to work? By who? I just left there and Robert and I were the last people there."

I should be surprised by this, but I'm not.

"I must have heard her wrong. How was work?" I change the subject and Tessa lets me.

(Author's note: I'll be updating in a few hours, don't forget to vote if you like the chapter <3 )  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 14 15
Delaney Collins is a waitress/bartender at an Italian restaurant and her life is going pretty well. She has her job, friend, boyfriend and she's happ...
23.2M 760K 53
What is he doing? "Embre." I'm still pressed up against him, my breath quickening by the second. "Yes?" I ask breathlessly, he placed his hand in my...
1.9M 88.5K 33
What happens when Landon, one of the University's most attractive men takes a bet to bed Aria, a lowkey girl who keeps her head in the books? What h...
512K 13.1K 31
Avery Alderidge has it all: a sweet boyfriend, tons of great friends, a loving family. She's fierce and popular, and has just started at her first-ch...