Clay Hearts { D.Russell }

By trapfumes

She had a clay heart. He was the sculptor. Don't let your clay dry out. More

[ 1 ]

284 26 17
By trapfumes

"But in that space in time I was too young for you."

-

Central High School - Louisville, Kentucky 2013 . .

"Fuck."

I shook the lock on my locker for what seemed to be the 5th time in a row, and soon would be the last.

Senior year was finally coming to a close as the Kentucky heat invaded bringing in beginning signs of summer.

"Girl, why do you even use a lock? You know they shitty as hell."

My best friend, Amaya, laughed looking at me as she leaned against her locker.

" 'Maya, maybe if ya' ass used a lock your shit wouldn't of stayed getting grabbed all year. You know these underclassmen grimy."

I chuckled referring to her countless number of items that had been stolen from her locker throughout this year. From jackets and make up to even library books.

Who the hell steals library books?

She sucked her teeth before continuing, "Whatever girl, you might as well leave whatever you got in there. We out this hoe!" she popped her tongue out her mouth doing a mini dance.

I couldn't help but laugh at her never ending goofy personality.

"You are too much, but nah I have my bag in this jawn."

I jiggled the lock again starting to become frustrated.

"Open. The. Fuck. U-"

I mumbled under my breath between each shake before someone else's hands took over the lock.

D'angelo.

"Damn, I can hear your ass shaking this shit from down the hall Nia."

He shook his head with a smirk winding the tab around the numbers.

"D, you need to chill with that sneaking up shit." Maya argued looking up from her phone.

"Hey to you too Maya." He chuckled.

"Lo, I can do it." I sighed looking up at his 6 foot frame.

"That's what you said all year. And all year I sa-"

I cut over him mocking his voice. "Nia move lemme do it, you're so hot headed with shit."

I mocked his voice as he sucked his teeth.

"See this why I don't do anything for your ungrateful ass."

His lips came to a small pout as he looked over to me, I laugh a little pinching his cheek.

Me and D'angelo had been friends since 2nd grade, and neighbors even longer.

Between him and Amaya, it seemed we were partners in crime. Them more of the schemers than me.

"Always pinching my damn cheeks.." he mumbled looking back at my lock.

"Next time say it with ya' chest. But the lock number is 57 - 21 -"

"57 - 21 - 10. We've been over this about a hundred times if you forgot."

He unlocked my locker with much more ease like he had been doing for the past 3 years of high school.

"Y'all both some hot heads to be honest."

Amaya looked between us shaking her head.

"And what does that make you?" I asked leaning some weight to one leg.

"It makes her the dumbass." D finished my sentence causing us both to laugh, dapping each other up.

'Maya rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"Y'all really be testing me, one day D you gon' catch these hands and you're not gonna like it. Same for your ass Nia."

I laughed leaning in to give her a sorry hug.

"You all bark no bite Maya. But y'all hitting up Sean's end of the year kickback shit tonight?"

D spoke as I grabbed my bag out my locker for the last time, putting the lock back on it for the sorry son who would get the piece of crap next year.

I wanted to avoid the whole party talk as we walked down the hallway toward the main entrance.

I had to start packing my stuff, I had college freshman orientation next week. As early as it seemed, and I had to check to make sure I was registered once I was down there. Soon I would be moving down there. Big moves were on the horizon.

"For sure, gonna have to throw it back for the one time before I leave this joint."

Maya spoke loudly, referring to finally leaving Louisville as she had been accepted into the University of Maryland.

"Bye as fuck." I laughed pretending I didn't here her and her statement as I adjusted my bag.

"Aye don't kill her vibe, we all know your scary ass don't want to come."

D'angelo nudged me playfully.

"Y'all know I have freshman orientation next wee-"

"Freshman orientation we know you've talked all about since last month when you found out you were leaving to go to sunny fun time Cali." D'angelo cut over me starting to get irritated.

We had both been accepted into Ohio State, but I got into my top choice. UCLA.

What was frustrating was that he never got upset about Maya leaving for college or her talking about college, but when little old me does it. He pops off.

"Lo, you got a scholarship to Ohio State. You're gonna ball, your dream. I got into my dream school, but you can't be happy for me? I've been happy for you!"

I stopped in my tracks starting to lay into him.

"Well this got awkward fast . Look I'll check y'all later at the party I guess. You two fight more than a old ass couple.."

Maya sighed stepping between us and out the front entrance to her car as I stood there with my arms crossed.

Whenever me and Lo when at it, we when at it. Two hot temper people don't mix. Though it always seemed he was the reason for my temper.

"I didn't say I wasn't happy for your ass, but you had me thinking we was gonna go into this whole college shit together."

"I told you that unless UCLA came through I was gonna go to Ohio, but they came through! Why is everything in our friendship always about you?!"

His jawline tightened.

"Man, fuck this. I'll see you later if you decide to come."

And with that he stormed into the student lot.

-

Eastwood Street - Louisville, Kentucky . .

"Don't let D get to you, you know he's a hot ass."

Maya sipped from her cup as the music boomed through the house.

I had to give it to Sean, he could throw a damn party.

Honestly I was only there, because I felt bad for yelling at D'angelo, even if he snapped first.

"Maybe I shouldn't have yelled at him. He's probably just stressed we're all separating, and nervous for college basketball."

I played with the end of my hair looking around for him as a few people waved to the two of us.

"Nah, he's not sad the three musketeers are breaking off. He's sad his boo is leaving him."

She smirked as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Well he don't have a boo, so who knows what you're talking about."

She sighed stopping. "Girl you know that boy is head over heels for your lil' blasian ass. I mean what jock hangs out with two girls for all his childhood and high school career? Even if we are popping as a a bitch."

She chuckled looking at me like I was dumb.

"And I know you like his ass."

She whispered lowly under the music to me smiling.

I looked around before saying anything.

"Maya shut that noise now, D'angelo is one of my best friends along with yo-"

Maya cut over me taking another sip from her solo cup.

"Maya, I'm your main bitch. You know I won't tell him."

She shook me a little, and I admit I let a small smile play on my lips.

It wasn't so much as a crush on D'angelo. I don't know what my feelings were, but lately it seemed everything he did tugged on me a little.

"Yeah that's what I thought." she laughed looking at my smile.

"Whatever Maya. Plus we'll be all the way across the country, long distance relationships don't work. I just don't want to kill our friendship. He might not even like me. Your intuition is usually wrong."

I shrugged my shoulders as someone offered me a cup of, God knows what, that I declined.

Niggas be drugging drinks in today's times.

"Usually it is yes, but. This time, I'm right. The way he's all protective over ya' small ass, and he be getting hella mad with you because he's sad your leaving him. He thinks it's the beginning of the end."

Usually I wouldn't listen to a word coming out Maya's mouth on this type of thing, but it seems the slightly drunk college bound Maya was wiser.

She tapped me pointing off into the dance floor.

"There's your chance Nia. Just tell him you like his ass and we can move the fuck along, and y'all can enjoy this week before you leave."

She sent a drunk giggle my way as we both looked out onto the dance floor seeing D'angelo.

He was fucked up.

I could tell by his stance he was drunk, he was getting juked on hard as shit by some girl. With several of his friends egging him on as they recorded.

I knew if people got video of him messed up at a party like this, his basketball career and scholarship was going to be dead before it began.

"Lo, what are you doing?" I walked over shooing some of the boys away.

"He's having a good time Nia."

The girl stopped dancing long enough for me to see she was messed up too.

I pushed her to the side pulling on his shirt to lead him outside to the porch.

"D'angelo, you don't even drink like this."

I looked at him as he leaned on the outside wall, his eyes were a little dilated and dark.

"Well maybe I should try new things."

He spoke blunt and mad.

"Look I know you're mad with me, but getting drunk isn't going to change the fact I'm leaving."

He sent a loud and sarcastic laugh my way.

"Why does this have to be about ya' ass? Maybe D'angelo wants to have a good time instead of fuckin' worrying about you." b

His accent, similar to my own got stronger as his words slurred together, and he referred to himself in third person.

Asshold D was coming center stage.

"Who said you had to worry about me? And it sure as hell seemed this was about me a couple hours ago when you layed my ass out in the hallway."

I crossed my arms over my chest becoming frustrated.

"Because, you're naive as fuck and dumb as shit. That's why I have to worry about you. I mean you can't even open your fucking locker Nia. That's why I worry about you. What're you going to do in California, huh?"

He got close on me and I tightened my mouth, he was starting to hurt my core.

"The stupidest part of this shit, is you a had nigga tripping. But you know what Nia, in all our years of this bullshit friendship, it's always me you call on. Me you complain to, me who makes your tight ass laugh. When was the last time you asked me about my problems?"

He was blowing up and I had no idea where all these sudden issues were coming from. I never asked him how he was doing, because he always said he was fine.

I felt a sting in my eyes as they started to water, but I was not going to let him win.

"D'angelo you're being a real ass right now, and tomorrow don't you dare come next door knocking at my window asking me to forgive you. So you better shut the fuck up before you say some real stupid shit that you haven't already."

I tucked some hair behind my ear.

"I'll say whatever the fuck I want to. We're both 18 here, you should be able to handle the truth. Unless you're going to be a fucking baby as usual and cry when I yell at you just a little. You know what I hope you go off and have a real good time in sunny side Cali, bitc-"

I cut over him slapping him.

"Fuck you D'angelo."

My breath sped up as I fumbled for my keys walking off the porch we were on toward my car parked on the street.

The tears made my vision blurry as they started to fall.

"Nia"

I stopped wiping some of the tears off my face, turning around.

For one second I hoped he'd say sorry, that he was drunk, that he didn't mean any of it.

That he was happy for me.

"Fuck ya' too, hoe."

-

[[ Comment thoughts & Vote Please. Thanks For Reading! ]]
&
yes I know he went to montverde then Ohio state, but for plot purposes he's straight to Ohio state.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

630K 31.9K 60
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
197K 4.1K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
103K 3.1K 31
"she does not remind me of anything, everything reminds me of her." lando norris x femoc! social media x real life 2023 racing season
90.9K 3.1K 52
"𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥, 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐥𝐞" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Caitlin Clark fa...