The Dragon's Keeper (Draco Ma...

By heydragons

Watch carefully, the magic that occurs, when you give a person, just enough comfort, to be themselves. -atti... More

1) all aboard the hogwart's express

The Dragon's Keeper: 2: Prefect Duties

1K 38 23
By heydragons

I lounged my legs out on the bench, saving the extra spot for Harry as he was in the bathroom. The Gryffindor table was nearly full now as all the other students sat down with their schoolmates. The noise of all the students echoed loudly, their voices bouncing off the walls creating an oddly comfortable atmosphere.

Nearly head-less Nick floated by giving a kind greeting to me before going on about to greet others.

"Hermione." I said excitedly, staring as the first years were walking in the hall. Their little hats and cloaks were too adorable! "Hermione," I repeated, trying to catch her attention.

"...."

"Hermione?" I turned my gaze from the small adorable children. "Why aren't you answering-?"

"Shhh!" She hissed, forcing me to stare at where she was looking at.

My gaze followed hers to see where Ron and Lavender were chatting happily, standing closely by great archway. A chuckle left me as I found her jealously too sweet. Her reaction to my chuckle turned grave as she tore her napkin in half. Her eyes screamed, 'it's not funny.'

"Hey there, thanks for saving me a seat June-bug!" Harry arrived, scooting my legs over. He sat down grinning before noticing our two separate emotions. I covered my mouth with the back of my hand, trying to conceal the fit of giggles.

"What's going on?" He asked suspiciously.

"June here," she replied darkly, "is laughing at nothing. She's a silly, silly, girl."

"Is that so?" His brow perched, almost disappearing under his long hair.

"Tehe...oh yeah, you know me. Too many frogs, I can't handle the sugar." I managed to say, before snorting like a pig. Mione shook her head, eyes flashing at Ron's arrival.

Two shadows covered the lights and I turned around to inspect the eclipse.

"Hello, Harry. June...Hermione. "Lavender's voice seemed to tinkle as she spoke. Her cheerful grin had a tint of smugness, which infuriated Hermione even more. The napkin she held was now ripped into another 2 pieces, falling to atop the others.

"Nice to see you Lavender, how was your summer?" I asked, giving her my best smile. She immediately brightened and held onto Ron's arm.

"It was lovely. Patil and I went to the Muggle Park, Disney World. There are so many muggles there that I could hardly breathe correctly. They walk around nearly side by side because of how small the place is!"

"Really? I didn't go there this summer but I would have loved to go."

"It's just a cheerful place to be. All the baby muggles giggle and cry and their parents wear the strangest clothes!"

"Oh I went to America as well-OUCH!" I yelped. Someone just kicked me!

Clutching my shin, I already shot Hermione a crazed look. "What was that for?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Mione said casually, taking a sip from her cup. "I hope your turrets are alright though."

My eye twitched, realizing why she kicked me. "Sure...they're fine...thanks for asking."

When Lavender wasn't watching, she kicked me again, this time mouthing that I should tell Brown to get lost.

I mouthed a NO. I was definitely not as despicable to her as Hermione would have wanted me to be. I'm a nice person Mione! Nice! But she wouldn't listen!

Threatening to kick me again, the girl managed to knee in the knee, her bony bones were much sharper than normal people. I shook in defeat.  "Hey Lavender, I'm sure Dumbledore is about to have the first years be placed into their rightful houses. You should probably sit down before he does." I mentioned politely.

Brown's eyes showed surprise, her teeth bared under the strained smile, "I'm sure I could wait, Ronnie and I have SO much to catch up on." I caught that. Emphasis: ME and RONNIE.

"It's okay Lavender. I'll just talk to you later." Ron agreed, giving a quick peck to her cheek. He sat down with Hermione, oblivious to the electricity between her and Brown. I swear if I had to touch Hermione on the arm I would be electrocuted dead on the spot.

Lavender gasped as if betrayed. I actually felt kind of bad for her since Ron was as clueless as any man would be. But then again, I'm all for Hermione and Ronald being together...

"Wait, Lavender why-"

"Don't speak to me RONALD Weasly!" She yelled furiously, alerting Seamus and Neville to look back at us. Their gazes followed her until she sat down. Then they flipped their attention to me in question.

I merely rolled my eyes to Ron and Hermione and they immediately caught on.

Ron stared owlishly at his girlfriend's back, still clueless. "Did I do something wrong?"

Harry grinned, shaking his head. He vaguely noted, "You're quite the love machine Ronnie boy."

"What did I do?" He asked again, looking at each of our amused faces.

I didn't want to say anything since Hermione would KILL me if I brought up any feelings. She'd absolutely murder me in my sleep with some torturous spell.

When no one answered, Ron turned to Mione. "What'd I do?"

"Bugger off Ron."

"But-why? What did I do?!"

Harry cracked a smile, before being forced by me to look to the front of the dining hall.

"Look! He's just adorable!" I giggled, pointing at the little boy in his cloak and hat near Mrs. Potts. "Look at those red cheeks and hair. He looks just like Ron!"

Ron stared incredulously at me, muttering a few words, before taking his own glance at the little ginger. His brows furrowed in disbelief at the comparison. "What? No, I was much more handsome." He scoffed, pounding his chest once. "I'm the only ginger who could pull the hair off."

"Oh really," Chimed two similarly sounding boys. "Were we not good looking chaps?"

"No." Ron said indignantly. "You both have floppy ears."

"By George, I think he's joking!" Fred feigned shock.

"And I thought we we're jokesters." George laughed, wrapping his arm casually over his twin's shoulder. "I guess our little brother is following our path. Wait til mum hears about this."

"Oh boy..." Hermione grinned, shaking her head.

"She'll have a fit!" They laughed at the same time.

"I love your family Ron. It's so diverse!" I cried, almost doubling over in laughter.

"You don't have to be with them every day." He complained. The twins grinned smugly, obviously knowing their place in my heart. They would sit as jesters in my kingdom.

They bent over and kissed either side of my cheek simultaneously. "You're our favorite little June-bug."

Ron guffawed. "I bet you'd change your mind about these two if you knew all their secrets. Once mum said she found them in her closet, dressed up in heels and dresses. She swore they were meant to be twin girls. Swore it."

"Really now? That's so cute!" Harry burst of laughing again. "You could have been Fredilina and Georgina!"

The twins gaped at their brother in mock betrayel. "You really want to start telling secrets?" George asked threateningly. "Because..."

"We have plenty to talk about you." They warned in unison.

A moment passed at the intense moment. Ron's brow twitched up and down, his thinking cap screwed on. "...I can never have a bloody thing for myself." Ron sighed in defeat, looking grim.

They nodded their heads smugly.

 "Anyway, it's good to see you all. Including you Hermione." Fred continued. "You are a much better house guest than that girlfriend of his." He ruffled Ron's hair much to his dismay.

"Hey! Don't speak about her like that. She was very nice to-"

"Don't even try to defend her." George waved his hand in dismissal. "Even mum has her doubts."

"She did leave quite a mess in the summer." Harry added. "It's like she moved in overnight. Her clothes were probably in your drawers when you weren't looking."

"She nearly broke my wand under her huge-"

"Guys! Stop! This isn't cool." Ron growled. "She's my girlfriend so just stop it."

"Sorry." Mione mumbled her face half with regret and sorrow. She couldn't help but feel jealous over him. Harry nudged me, showing how he's noticed Hermione's jealously. And if HARRY knew, that must mean Ron was as daft as everyone said he was.

Suddenly, as if by magic, mountainous piles of food appeared in front of us. Nearly salivating at the plates of food that filled the golden plates, my stomach flipped in excitement knowing what's coming. I just adored the food here. No matter how much I grew accustomed to the muggle food in America, I could never replace my love for the Hogwarts brand.

"It's dinner! Aw yes, I'm starved!" Fred cried, dragging George back to their 7th year friends. "We'll see you after dinner children!" They both called, pushing each other as they ran.

Once they were out of earshot, Ron already made a few snide comments.

"Stupid brothers..." He muttered finally, taking his fork out of the napkin. His eyes brightened at the full turkey that looked so tender and golden brown that it must've been gourmet.

"Man, I'm starving! I could eat a whole griffin if I wanted."

"You always say that, Ron." Harry teased. "Maybe you should actually go eat one."

"Oh!" I gasped, a memory popped into my head. "I should have brought you the PHO challenge."

They blinked blankly. "What?" Completely random thought, June.

I sweat dropped, weaving a hand through my hair. My thoughts floundered around before I could make them into words. "It's this sort of noodle in a bowl...that muggles eat to keep warm."

"Ew, that doesn't sound appetizing at all. PHO? It sounds so bland!" His face contorted in a grimace.

"You're too close minded." I concluded.

"I tried it before with Hagrid. It isn't that bad." Harry idly unwrapped his napkin. "Have you ever tried the hot dog? I would think your father had made you try it before."

"Oh stop, now you're making me lose my appetite. Father would never try to poison his own flesh and blood." Ron groaned, trying concentrate of wizard food. "Muggle food sounds disgusting."

Hermione rolled her eyes, giving me that look. 'How is he so daft?' 

I sent her my own look, 'Why do you love him if he's so daft?' Wink wink.

She sent me a dirty look before stabbing her fork into a piece of chicken.

I merely stuck my tongue out with my eyes crossed together. She did the same, curving her mouth in a hooked like manner.

"Hah!" I touched my nose with my tongue.

She did the same as well as waggling her eyebrows in a wave. "Can't beat me!"

I then stuck my fingers into my mouth and pulled the corners out whilst crossing my eyes.

"June, Mione! Stop!"

"Hahaha, why?" I laughed, twisting my face into another expression. Hermione didn't reciprocate this time and instead she looked down, hiding her reddening face.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my brows. "Why'd you stop?"

"Because you both look like idiots." A dull voice resonated in the room, freezing my expression. My once funny face became one of humiliation as I finally noticed the silence from all the students. Snape stared with an annoyed glare, his hands clasped firmly together.

My heart suddenly dropped at the familiar sense of humilation."Oh," I said sheepishly, shrinking into my seat. "My bad..."

Chuckles and laughter filled the hall again. Yes, people just loved to laugh at my own failings and strangeness...it's hard to be friends with Ronald Weasly and not be laughed at as well...

Harry and Ron burst into a fit of laughter, turning red from the lack of air. I huffed, trying to calm the flare of heat from my neck. I looked up for a moment only to see Malfoy staring smugly at me. I couldn't even give him a good nasty look without blushing. Damn him. He always loved my humiliation.

The bustling students quieted down again, their attention glued to Dumbledore as he waited patiently for the commotion to stop. It was plain as day, the differences between Snape and him. It's a good thing, no GREAT thing, that Snape was last in line to be head master. At least, that's what I hope for.

It didn't take long for anyone to notice how powerful the humble wizards presence was as he garnered such great respect from all of us. When he knew he had our full attention he spoke, a calm gratitude in his tone.

"Young wizards...young witches...we have here our new first years and are very lucky to have them here." He gestured to the hoard of younglings, cowering behind each other. "Before we feast we shall begin the Sorting! Please hold all applause until the very last student has been sorted."

"Gregory Corriandor-Hufflepuff!"

"Flora Potts-RavenClaw!"

"Toby Cheaves-Slytherin!"

"Marlene Bartholomew-Gryffindor!"

"Emily Walters-"

--

The very last student sat down, enveloped with high fives and pats on the back. The little first year was sat down with the Slytherin table, his innocent face mismatched from their normal grouchy faces.

I frowned, hating when I saw them go off to that bloody table. They turn good children into wanna be Draco Malfoy's and Pansy Parkinson's. Every year I've watched a good number of obviously bright and sweet children be sucked into the world of wickedness.

"Poor kid." I said under my breath, watching his comrades already mess with him.

"That was quite a long sorting." Harry commented, wiping his mouth with his napkin. "You would think that there'd be fewer enrollments because of you know who running around."

"I guess parents are sending their children in to learn a few tricks before times get harder."

"Mum wouldn't let us skip school for anything less than a broken bone or a case of the measles." Ron frowned, still picking at his food. "She'd probably tell our ghostly bodies to continue with school."

"My parents have no idea what's going on. They're clueless as to what is happening." Mione shrugged. Her parents were incredibly nice people, always open minded and cheerful. She was lucky.

"At least you have parents." Harry and I muttered. We automatically looked at each other, knowing the full extent of the miseries of dead parents.

"...You'd always have a family with us." Hermione reassured, rubbing my hand gently. It's a bit corny but I did like the sound of it. To have a family...

"Yeah, who's more of a brother to you than me?" Ron asked rhetorically. He dared me to respond with those rather fiery eyes. "That's right, no one would dare come near you knowing I'm here." Ron said proudly, puffing out his chest.

 "Even if a death eater attacks her," Harry asked.

"Especially when a death eater comes. I would then smite that bloody reaper with my wand and show just how courageous, I, your older brother is!" He held his wand with a confidence, its point midway in the air.

We couldn't contain our snickers because he was creating such a wily scene. Seamus started chuckling at him too, raising his glass to me in toast. I toasted him back, cheeks still flushed from laughter.

"Ello dear brother, having a nice day dream are you?" Fred came along, rubbing his stomach contently. "I could have just sworn I heard you say courageous. Then I thought, 'hm, my little brother Ron Weasly as courageous?' What a bloody card you're playing!"

"Don't joke Fred. He's merely trying to be as courageous as his brothers. He looks up to us!" George joined in, standing behind Ron. "Mentally and physically!" They both pointed to their brains, then their muscles.

"I'm stronger than both of you combined!"

"But are you as smart dear brother?"

"I get better grades too!"

"Do you?" Fred questioned honestly. He turned to George with a bewildered look. "Does he George?"

"...at least we're taller than him."

"I'm almost your height!" Ron argued furiously.

"Almost little one. That's an important word to remember."

Then a memory popped into my head. "Oh, Hermione! You're supposed to teach me the confundo charm! I asked you earlier didn't I?" I said, taking out my wand. The boys looked at me with a 'What the heck did that have to do with anything?'

I only smiled. I could be quite random.

The boys continued chatting or probably arguing about something as Hermione taught me the spell. She told me to wave my hand in a certain way before casting it as well as making sure to steady my voice.The more emotion I put into the spell the more likely it'll last on the person.

I watched her easily cast the spell, aiming at noone in particular. I was just guessing she was correct, as always.

I then followed her lead and circled the air with my wand. I gave it a quick flick of the wrist, a small spark shot out at the end. "Am I doing it? Is that it?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"How can you tell..."

She hummed in thought, thinking of a way to test out the spell. Usually we'd practice light spells on Crookshanks but today, this one seemed all too dangerous for him. Poor cat. Twas the victim of a curious bunch I suppose.

"You should try it out on Harry." Mione whispered, head tilted to his direction.

I smiled slyly, inconspicuously drawing my wand out. Harry was facing Dean now, his back to me.

"Harry." I tapped his shoulder.

"What?" He turned around.

"Confu-"

"Hey June! Did-?"

"CONFUNDO!"

I gasped, dropping my wand to cover my mouth in horror. What did I just do? How did I not know to stop? What did I just DO?

Harry watched in awe, pointing between him, Cyril, and me. "We're you about to do that to ME?"

Best to not answer that yeah? Good, cause I won't!

"Oh my gosh, Cyril are you okay?"

He wasn't supposed to surprise me like that! Oh my gosh I'm going to be in such trouble!

"Were you just about to put a spell on me?!" Harry yelled again. He was without a doubt...livid.

Ron and his brothers were watching us mildly interested and partially embarrassed by our screaming. Hermione took out a book in search of a counter spell.

"Are you okay Cyril?!"

"Cyril...cereal. Who are you?" The brown haired boy asked. "Why are you calling me cereal?"

"Oh..." I practically cried. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to confuse you."

"My name's Cereal?"

"No, it's Cyril...Cyril, should I have you go to the hospital wing?" Harry asked concerned, but his voice was still rancorous.

"And who are you? Where are we? Why are there so many people here? Who is that woman?"

A few teachers were standing over their table, watching the commotion. I silently cursed myself for having done something so stupid! And to someone so nice! Cyril was the sweetest boy ever and I just made his mind a confused mess.

"Is there something the matter here?" Professor McGonagall's voice protruded behind me and I begged in my mind to say everything was okay.

But it wasn't.

Cyril pointed a delightful finger at her and then back at himself. "Are you my mother? Are you Mrs. Cereal?"

She was taken aback at the question, instantly giving us a bewildered stare. Her jaw tightened...an obvious sign of disappointment. "I see someone has used the Confundo spell on him." She said scornfully. "Although it usually isn't a harmful spell, it would seem that you've used too much passion in it. I will have to send you, Mr. Meade to the hospital wing just for good measure."

"...I didn't understand a thing you've said mum." Cyril blinked innocently.

She gave him a sympathetic look. "Who did this to you Mr. Meade? Did the twins have something to do with this?"

"Why are we first to blame?" Fred asked, 'offended' by the accusation.

"Yeah, we didn't do anything Ms. G."

"I did it m'am." I confessed. One hand cupped my elbow in a sheepish manner as I stood before her. "It was an accident but I did it."

"Honesty is good Miss. Summerbee. However honest you may be though, I will have to punish you. Please see me after dinner and we will discuss your punishment."

"Yes Prof. McGonagall."

"Good...come on Cyril. I'll have a prefect keep an eye on you."

"I don't need someone perfect to keep an eye on me mum. I'm just cereal."

"Oh dear..." She tsked, taking him by the arm. Professor McGonagall led Cyril away, asking the other Gryffindor prefect to escort him to the wing.

I watched as Cyril skipped along side of McGonagall, thinking she was his mother.

"I feel so bad." I breathed, feeling solemn and melodramatic. I collapsed into my seat, looking downcast at my hands. These hands were EVIL.

"You're a beast." George said. "You just rocked that prefect's mind."

"I don't think he'll be able to do his duties today. Perhaps they'll make you do it Junie."

"They haven't chosen all the prefects yet for Gryffindor you know. They're still deciding between a handful of students."

"I hope they don't give it to me." I said honestly. "Being prefect means I have to roam the halls and send sneaky students to bed. How can I do that when I'm the student who usually sneaks off at night?"

"Now you can't get caught." Harry said bluntly. "But what do you usually do at night?"

"Nothing, of anyone's concern." I responded quickly. Everyone raised a brow at me, obviouslly not expecting that response.

"Sounds like someone's a major minx..." George joked, nudging his brother in the ribs.

I opened my mouth to say something but the candles dimmed lowly, signalling silence. I zipped my mouth shut, partly thankful for the timing. By the way they were looking at me, my secret may not be so safe.

"Alright, we'll see you sometime."

The twins waved a goodbye to us. We watched them run off with their friends, probably about to sneak off to a dorm and talk about...older things.

 The first years were then escorted out, led away by their prefects. I searched for the headboy who was usually keeping watch over the prefects.

"Hey, where's the headboy?"

"I see him over by the Slytherin table." Hermione informed. "What's going on though?"

Seamus then stood up, his eyes searching for an explanation to the matter. He raised his head high and an official expression of surprise passed through him.

"The head boy's busy trying to fix a hexed boy from the Slytherin table."

"The Gryffindor yearlings don't have a prefect to lead them." Hermione noted. alarmed."Cyril and Tommy are at the hospital wing."

My expression fell the tiniest bit. I knew what she was implying. Just because I sent the prefect to the Wing doesn't mean I have to take over his duties right? I'm not that worthy of punishment am I?

"June...you have to do it." Harry's voice was full of authority. I cringed thinking he was still upset over me trying to cast a spell on him... "You're responsible."

Throwing all my regret and hesitance to the wind, I stood up, ready to take the challenge. "I guess I'm up for it."

"Bye June, I'll see you tonight." Mione commented cheerfully. A bit too cheerfully for my taste.

I walked swiftly to the part of the table where the kids sat. They watched everything with confusion and interest, their small innocent eyes looked at every strange corner, probably wondering why they were all alone.

Well of course they'd be confused. I just sent their leader to the Wing, leaving them to fend off for themselves. Now I'm going to pretend to be a hero and save these children from their untimely start.

"Alright, first years, follow me to your quarters and don't get left behind." I commanded sternly, keeping my voice calm and collected. It was something I picked up from watching the prefects over the years.

As I led them out the dining hall, I realized some things about these first years. I wanted to smile so badly at the recognition between my first year with these first years. Harry, Ron, and Mione and I were once just like these tiny little people, following orders like the law and keeping away from those who scared us. Which was everyone.

"Keep up little ones."

They followed me frantically, almost with every step. I was bumped into a couple of times by their curious manners and clumsy feet, something I thought was still too adorable. Whenever someone did bump into me, I managed to flash them a smile. It wasn't a big deal really.

I took them up the stairs, making sure that every single student was following me the whole way. I didn't even need to watch what they did since I knew they would be awed at the moving stairs.

"Alright, we're nearly there."

The fat lady painting saw us coming and immediately put on her strictest face. One that she used on every newbie, every year.

"Password?"

"Baubles."

"You may enter."

"Thanks." I smiled politely. She nodded, returning to just sitting there with her arms folded. Some of the first years gaped at the moving pictures, reaching out to touch them.

But I knew they wouldn't. Even I didn't touch the frames, no matter how much I wanted to.

"So first years," I waved my hands over them to shush them. Then all their little heads turned to me in one wave, as if they were all one person. A bit freaky deeky...but okay.

"The boy's dorms will be to the left and girls to the right. There will be no sneaking off at night or someone will find you. Specifically a werewolf or some dementors." They gasped collectively, turning to their neighbors to discuss the dangers.

I shushed them again, this time with a joking grin. "I'm kidding. Please don't worry about your safety. You have plenty of people who will worry for you."

I laughed at their still scared faces. Paranoid little first years. Typical but cute. To add an extra dose of June jokery, I decided to use the very trick my prefect told us as kids.

"Bear this warning however," I started with seriousness. "Do not sneak around or someone strange may snatch you up...perhaps the coniving Slytherins would find you at night and decide to play a few pranks. Or instead, the snarky Ravenclaw may find you too small to fend yourself, finding fun at picking on you..." I paused dramatically, allowing a moment for the information to seep in.

I changed my frown to a smile, enjoying my power over these little ones. Cruel maybe? Possibly. Fun though? Extremely.

"Alright, get in your jammies and time for bed!" I stepped out of their way, allowing them entrance.

They all entered their dorms swiftly, not taking light to my joking. A thought that made me far too amused.

Once they were all inside, I closed the painting, saying a quick farewell to the fat lady. I had to see Professor McGonagall now and I was late. I knew I was late since I just spent the past 10 to 15 minutes escorting the little ones into their dorms.

Anytime a student is late for her meetings, she would punish them with more than she intended before. Hopefully she wouldn't put me in dungeon clean up or...worse, bathroom duty. Goodness, if I had to spend more than 5 minutes with Moaning Mrytle, I'd just about cry. She was too depressing!

At that last thought, I decided to speed up my pace, running down the stairs and out to the plaza. I ran into the great building, heading straight for the room with large wooden doors. At the end of the stony hallway, I spotted my destination, the doors slightly ajar.

I really hope I wasn't too late.

I ran into the room, expecting to see McGonaggal waiting for me at her desk.

But she wasn't there.

I looked around, from her desk to the corners of the room. And there was nothing? My breath that used to huff was now returning to normal. My stomach also calming down.

I guess she was still with Cyril in the Wing-

"Meow..."

Oh. Nope. I closed my eyes, feeling the victory and false security drop from my body. There she was. The cat that sat just a few feet from me, transformed into the full grown professor that I've grown to love.

"Miss Summerbee."

"Here," I said lamely, pinching the bridge of my nose. Here I am...ready to be the bathroom monitor...or ready to be the next student covered in bat guano...

"I see that. I also see that you are late. May I know as to why you are late?"

"I was leading the first years into their dorms m'am. They were just sitting in the dining hall, confused as baby birds."

"And you led them all just now?" She asked, impressed.

"Yes."

"That is very good thinking Miss. Summerbee. Then what I had in plan will work in both yours and the school's favor."

I cocked my head to the side. "What is it?"

She smiled genuinely, as if the idea was a God send. "You are now a prefect, Miss. Summerbee.  Your academics are up to par as one and you show great deference to the staff and students. I would say this isn't much a punishment rather a promotion." She paused, thinking for a moment.

"Actually, since I can't have you fully happy with your "punishment", I may have you as a prefect for night duties everyday..."

"With who?" I questioned curiously. I really hope it was someone who I knew or talked to. I don't want to spend all year with a person I've never met. God, wouldn't that be awful?

"You'll be serving with Mr. Malfoy."

I titled my head. I'm sorry...what was that? "Why is he being punished?"

"He hexed a first year in 'good natured fun'." She said disapprovingly, a frown marred her face. "Sometimes that boy...he needs to grow up."

"..." He needs to more than grow up. He needs to die in a little hole where the dementors can feast off his stupid little body...

"He is as we speak in Prof. Dumbledore's office. Go to his quarters and tell him of his duties. You shall both begin tonight."

The frown on my lips did nothing to make her change her mind and I couldn't help but have to oblige. No matter what I wanted to say.

"Yes m'am." I bowed curtly, scampering off to Prof. Dumbledore's office. I felt like I've been running all day today. And just my luck, his office was on the far side of the school. It couldn't hurt to have some sort of transportation in this school. Maybe we could use brooms to go to classes.

I stopped short of the gargoyle statue, resting myself by its feet. Wiping the sweat from my brow, I waited for Malfoy to emerge.

Idly, I pulled out my wand. The way if felt reminded me of the skin of a water logged hippo. The wood was sanded to feel as smooth as any other wand, and it was increcibly beautiful.

I thought back in memory, remembering the specific details of how Olivander gave it to me. I smiled gently. This wand had a rare dragon heart string entwined with a unicorn's hair. The way he made it seemed so much more magical and desirable than any other wand in the shop.

And it picked me.

Ssssssssssssss.

The sibilance of the statue turning startled me, making me hop off the gargoyle. Draco walked out of the room, an annoyed expression pulled at his face. He turned to me, a sneer ready. "What are you doing here Summerbee?"

"I have prefect duties with you tonight." I explained dully.

His eyes turned wicked. "I see, for turning old Cyril into a bumbling brain less idiot right? Good for you."

"I didn't mean to hex him" I retorted, miffed at his attitude. "And he isn't an idiot; he's much smarter than you are and would ever be."

"Che, stupid..." He scoffed, pushing his way past me.

He took a few long strides down the hallway before looking over his shoulder. His impatience radiated off of him. "Are you coming or not?"

I glared at him, not taking light to his tone. None the less, I followed him into the darkening hallways."Where are we going?"

"We're making sure students aren't sneaking around." He snapped, rubbing his arm gently. "That's what prefects do. Stupid."

"Jerk..." I followed him quietly, not wanting to start an argument. But the mood was calling for an argument and it felt inevitable.

"Stupid girl...this is going to a long night." He muttered under his breath, eyes glaring daggers.

And a long night it was. We spent our first hour, patrolling the deserted hallways. Only Filch and his cat walked those lone passages and sometimes he'd just talk to himself about the weather. Besides him, no one seemed to be sneaking around tonight. Or that was how it seemed.

"So what exactly did you do that got you trouble?" I asked out of boredom, officially breaking the silence. I already knew the answer but it'd be interesting to see as to why he'd want to hex a first year...it'd help prove my point of how much a jerk he was.

What really ticked me was that smug smirk that tugged at his lips. He was proud of it too! "...I hexed that ginger first year for drinking from my cup. He was a stupid mudblood. Two words: Petrificus Totalus and he became as stiff as a board."

"You stunned him?" I gasped, disgusted. "You're horrible! He's just a child!"

"So what? Do you have a thing for red heads Summerbee?"

"No." I bit out harshly. "I have a soft spot for children. They need good guidance to be good people."

"You're daft. The world isn't meant for weaklings." His pale face contained no sarcasm and for a moment, my heated rage was doused by his sincerity.

He really meant what he said.

"Do you think you're a weakling?" I asked cautiously. I didn't mean for it to be an insult. It was out of curiosity as to why he would even think he was weak.

"How dare you call me weak?" His eyes narrowed in rage. He stopped us mid-step, shoving me sharply. "Call me weak again, and I will personally see you punished."

I stumbled backwards, catching myself form hitting the stone walls. My temper flared up again at his superior expression. It was merely a question! I can't believe I almost felt sorry for this low life wizard.

He took my silence as a defeat. "Now who's weak?" 

I responded wordlessly, with one hand reaching into my robes, I gripped my wand, debating whether to use it or not. I knew better. I definitely did. However, even the most logical mind would break apart at this man's prescence. I had to admit the full extent of how this blonde boy could push my buttons.

"Are you afraid of me June-bug?" He taunted with my nickname, stepping forward. "I dare you to just try and hex me. Try it. Raise that wand and HEX me." He lifted his arms from his body, giving me the best shot to just knock him out.

My thoughts thrashed in frantic movements, nearly splitting my head from frustration. My hand gripped my wand even tighter. I was hesitating! My hand wasn't even moving! I glared heavily at him, frustrated that I couldn't even lay a hex at him. He was giving me the chance! TAKE IT.

His eyes watched me, scrutinizing me from head to toe. He must have seen the way my head pulsed or the way my arm began to shiver. I was nervous.

"So you are a weakling." He concluded. "I expected much more from you. But then again, how could I think you'd be strong when your parents weren't even strong enough to fend themselves-"

"Damn you Malfoy!" I hissed, taking my chance. Best late than never! I raised it in offense, just about to curse him for mentioning my family again. I swung it full force, my voice about to chant the CONFUNDO hex.

Malfoy quickly reacted, grabbing my forearms from any movement, then shoving his sleeved arm at my mouth.

"Let go you ferret!" I growled, violently trying to rip my arms away.

"Stay quiet or we'll get caught." He whispered, shaking me for good measure.

Angered to no end, I tugged my arm with all my strength, pulling his body towards me. He merely grunted by the exertion of power but remained steady with his grip. I tugged again and again; unaware of how close he was now.

Who was he even trying to hide from? I didn't see anyone in the hallway and we didn't catch anyone either. Stupid git was just trying to touch me!

"Are you trying to tell me something Summerbee?" He muttered smugly. His sudden breath blew in my face.

My eyes widened at the close proximity of our faces. His grey eyes bore down on me, watching the slow rise of heat in my cheeks. Bits of my rage fell only to be replaced by girlish hormones...

"I can take a hint."

"NO." I hissed, trying to rip myself away again. "Let go let go, let go."

"Okay." He smirked, letting go completely.

"Finally."

My breathing came out in puffs, surprising me of how much his presence must have stunted me. Malfoy stood with his arms crossed; the same usual smirk adorned his face.

What was going on here?

"Hey, you two! What are you two still doing up? Prefect duties are over." Filch's voice shot through the air and it relieved me to have someone take me away from this monster. Limped over the man pointed his twisted finger at us. "Get to bed before I report you."

How did he even know Filch was coming though?

"Yes sir." Draco agreed mockingly. He only watched me, never leaving my sight. "We were just on our way."

"Good. Now go on. Hurry!"

My chest heaved, up and down, up and down, still affected by my newfound panic. It seemed that I was the only one put off by the flirting.

...oh God he was flirting with me!

Malfoy noticed how flustered I was and he heavily took advantage of that. He offered me his best mockery of a smile, it's sweetness as sickening as his personality. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow June-bug. Sleep well."

I gaped, clenching my fists together out of embaressment. How dare he mess with me like that! Low life fuzzy brained-

"Stop gawking and get going!"

I glared lightly at the old man. I wasn't gawking old man....don't you push my buttons either.

Filch then continued down the hallway, muttering about late night meetings and cats.

Now both men were walking on opposite sides of the hallway. Both angering me, but for different reasons.

I started walking back to my own dorm which was only a minute away. All the way there though, I couldn't help but scowl, cursing my soft mindedness. I was bittered by what happened tonight. I was so bittered because...Malfoy made me blush. He actually got a reaction out of me!

How dare he do that!

Spotting my door, I stood by it, about ready to open it. I just wanted to release my anger and emotions from my body before I stepped in. Crookshanks always knew when there was a spike in emotional energy and I wouldn't want the furry creature trying to comfort me all night. I just need some sleep.

Opening my clammy hands, I stretched them, then stretched my neck to relieve the tension.

Tension from that image of that human ferret. His grey eyes bulging out from his stone cut face. That forsaken smirk forever stuck on his lips. If only I could wipe that sorry expression off his face...and put him in his place.

At last, I put my hand on the door knob.

I wanted to get this straight before I went to bed.

I did not have any feelings for that Malfoy idiot.

And love was as opposite to how I felt, as Malfoy and I were as people.

--

Please comment or vote or etc :) I need feedback.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

730K 17.3K 73
"You and me always and forever." 9-1-1 Season 2+ Start- March 26 2023 Finish I do not own any 9-1-1 characters or their plots. I do own my character...
352K 14.7K 60
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ข'๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฉ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž-๐›...
1M 17.4K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
280K 6.5K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc